Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

This is what happens when you have a conference full of teams that aren't "University ofs"

Imagine being a public university in the Big 12 and hearing this shit. Big 12 bends over for BYU now apparently.

Edited by WelfareBuysMyWeed

27 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Total stupidity. Private equity getting involved is a fools errand for both parties. For PE, they are not dealing with rational organizations in terms of business sense and ROI and expenses. They are dealing with career academics and government officials who care about stupid shit like being associated with Stanford even though they bring literally nothing to the table in this context. 

For institutions, it would be oil and water in terms of some asswipe new york scalper coming in and propping his feet up on your desk and telling you that you report to him now. Im looking at you Vista, you chop shop shitbags.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Total stupidity. Private equity getting involved is a fools errand for both parties. For PE, they are not dealing with rational organizations in terms of business sense and ROI and expenses. They are dealing with career academics and government officials who care about stupid shit like being associated with Stanford even though they bring literally nothing to the table in this context. 

For institutions, it would be oil and water in terms of some asswipe new york scalper coming in and propping his feet up on your desk and telling you that you report to him now. Im looking at you Vista, you chop shop shitbags.

I’m so glad we’re in SEC. Look at Sankeys comments compared

20 hours ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

This is a university of Texas website, not University of SEC website, and definitely not a University of Big 12 website. HTH. I don't give a fucking shit what any other SEC team does besides Texas.

Why you reading/posting in this thread if you no like?

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/28/2024 at 6:36 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

This Utah thing got me thinking about why fans of schools that are currently in the Big 12 want to be in the Big 10 or SEC.  The reasons admins want to be in those leagues are obvious.  But for the sake of this exercise, assume that the SEC and Big 10 aren't leaving the rest of college sports, and the Big 12 (or whatever exists outside of those leagues) will have a seat in the playoffs, I don't understand why fans of non-blue bloods would want a schedule that gives them a ceiling of 7 to 8 wins and almost no shot at ever making the playoff vs a schedule that gives them regular chances at double digit wins and making the playoffs.  I understand why blue bloods want to play other blue bloods and why they need access to the most possible resources to stay competitive with their peers.  And of course if the Big 12 was going to be shut out of the playoffs, you wouldn't want to be there.

Utah is not a peer of Texas or Ohio State.  Their desire to be mediocre but sit in a wealthier tree fort is very strange to me from a fan perspective.  If ISU got to go to the SEC or Big 10, I'd honestly be pretty bummed.  Yeah, we'd be cashing bigger checks, but the chances of us being any better than 6-6 at our absolute best would be minute, and we'd only have one or two historic opponents every year.  Bragging about being in the club has an extremely limited shelf life to my fanhood.  I fully understand and accept that we aren't the same as a blue blood, and being in their conference wouldn't change that. 

Not sure how much it's appreciated how pissed they are that they had to follow after BYU to join a new conference, let alone no longer being able to enjoy the halo effect of being linked with Stanford, UCLA, and Cal. 

Edited by Crockett

2 hours ago, Crockett said:

Why you reading/posting in this thread if you no like?

Because I can, since this is a Texas longhorns forum, and I am a Texas Longhorns alumnus. Don't like this thread calling out your stupid cult for the dumb bullshit it is? Then go to some BYU soak forum, you stupid fuck.

• Hook 'Em 3

Not sure how much it's appreciated how pissed they are that they had to follow after BYU to join a new conference, let alone no longer being able to enjoy the halo effect of being linked with Stanford, UCLA, and Cal. 

Maybe it’s my Midwest bias, but what “halo effect” exists from playing sports against a bunch of schools that don’t care about playing sports?

This whole idea that athletic affiliation drives academic collaboration is the absolute dumbest fucking part of realignment.

ISU and Kansas will never be in the Big 10. Both schools regularly collaborate with Big 10 schools academically.
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Maybe it’s my Midwest bias, but what “halo effect” exists from playing sports against a bunch of schools that don’t care about playing sports?

This whole idea that athletic affiliation drives academic collaboration is the absolute dumbest fucking part of realignment.

ISU and Kansas will never be in the Big 10. Both schools regularly collaborate with Big 10 schools academically.

CU fans were making the same argument before the move. It's dumb as hell. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I don’t know about a halo effect, but I know collegiate sports started before 2010, and Stanford and Cal have a long history of modest national success- national championships, even. Rose Bowls, Heismans, etc. 

That speaks to a program’s potential. When Stanford and Cal try to be good at football, they can be very, very good. When ISU tries to be good at football, it can go 8-4 and go to whatever bowl ISU goes to. 

Hell, in my memory, a SuperBowl was played in Stanford’s old stadium. They ever think of doing that in Jack Trice?

Pick any other P2 or Mid2 team- what’s the best bet for scheduling a game that will be on ABC, NBC, Fox or ESPN proper- Stanford or ISU?

4 hours ago, statsman said:

I don’t know about a halo effect, but I know collegiate sports started before 2010, and Stanford and Cal have a long history of modest national success- national championships, even. Rose Bowls, Heismans, etc. 

That speaks to a program’s potential. When Stanford and Cal try to be good at football, they can be very, very good. When ISU tries to be good at football, it can go 8-4 and go to whatever bowl ISU goes to. 

Hell, in my memory, a SuperBowl was played in Stanford’s old stadium. They ever think of doing that in Jack Trice?

Pick any other P2 or Mid2 team- what’s the best bet for scheduling a game that will be on ABC, NBC, Fox or ESPN proper- Stanford or ISU?

There are maybe 5,000 people in Stanford Stadium on a fall Saturday.  There are 60,000 in Jack Trice.

• Hook 'Em 3

29 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

There are maybe 5,000 people in Stanford Stadium on a fall Saturday.  There are 60,000 in Jack Trice.

I agree. While Stanford may have better history/brand power, I’d much rather watch ISU with a packed stadium. It makes for a better TV product.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

I agree. While Stanford may have better history/brand power, I’d much rather watch ISU with a packed stadium. It makes for a better TV product.

My only point is that Stanford is completely fucking checked out.  They’re a better school than ISU.  They have more athletic history.  And no one cares.  Why is Utah pining for an association?

48 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Why is Utah pining for an association?

They think it confers academic prestige on Utah to be in the same conference as Stanford, etc. Part of that desire is that they also want to be perceived academically superior to BYU, even though incoming BYU freshman have higher average HS GPAs and test scores, most people that apply to both schools will choose BYU over Utah, and when you compare the same graduate programs (law, business, others) BYU ranks higher. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

My only point is that Stanford is completely fucking checked out.  They’re a better school than ISU.  They have more athletic history.  And no one cares.  Why is Utah pining for an association?

Because academics are stupid and fans are irrational.

7 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

“And no one cares.”

But, people do care. And that bothers you. 

Stanford is the traditional power in a high population density, wealthy area of the country. Iowa State is a traditional doormat in a town of less than 100,000, in the middle of Iowa. 

Stanford has gone 9-27 over the last three years, while ISU has gone 18-20. ISU’s greatest season, ever, was in 2020, when it was Big XII runner up and beat Oregon in the Fiesta Bowl, in front of empty stands, a game nobody outside Iowa remembers. 

If you asked the typical fan of any team, “Who would you rather be in a conference with, Stanford or Iowa State?”, would anyone answer Iowa State?

On 5/31/2024 at 9:41 PM, Vertigo said:

I for one can't wait for the first school to let that PE genie out of the bottle and watch the shit show unfold as they slowly realize what a terrible idea it was.

Worked for a software company that had previously taken "investment" from Vista and came to find out said company was as hollowed out and rotten on the inside as a jack-o-lantern on November 15th...not sure what the equivalent of that is gonna look like in college athletics but it won't be pretty.

• Hook 'Em 3

TV executives are calling the shots now and they don't care about Stanford and Cal which is why they had to take a bad deal with the ACC. Several of the PAC presidents (notably the Arizona State president) demonstrated repeatedly that they are out of touch with reality which is the main reason their conference is gone. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, statsman said:

If you asked the typical fan of any team, “Who would you rather be in a conference with, Stanford or Iowa State?”, would anyone answer Iowa State?

If you're a football fan who's paid attention at all the past few years, ISU. They're a better football product and a much better fanbase. I've been to a dozen Stanford games. They sucked, even at the back end of their recent glory years. Not sure what your weird mission is here. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

In a very old movie, called “Say Anything”, John Cusack’s character is getting advice from his loser friends about how to manage his relationship with Ione Skye. He asks them, “If you guys know so much about girls, why are you hanging out on Friday night at a 7-11 parking lot?”

“Choice!”, they all answer. 

That’s what seeing Okie State, Baylor and ISU fans Stan for the Big XII reminds me of. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LTbear said:

If you're a football fan who's paid attention at all the past few years, ISU. They're a better football product and a much better fanbase. I've been to a dozen Stanford games. They sucked, even at the back end of their recent glory years. Not sure what your weird mission is here. 

Stanford is the gold standard for everything that doesnt matter in the new world of college athletics. They have a million non revenue sports that they are competitive in, meanwhile they have 5,000 people at their football games, rarely make the NCAA tourney in basketball, and are marginal competitors in baseball. Their biggest bargaining chip is academic prestige, which might as well be confederate dollars in this age.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Stanford is the gold standard for everything that doesnt matter in the new world of college athletics. They have a million non revenue sports that they are competitive in, meanwhile they have 5,000 people at their football games, rarely make the NCAA tourney in basketball, and are marginal competitors in baseball. Their biggest bargaining chip is academic prestige, which might as well be confederate dollars in this age.

Bingo, They have 31 sports while most only have around 20.

10 minutes ago, statsman said:

Do you think that if you keep repeating 5,000 in attendance for Stanford football, people will believe it?

image.thumb.png.f0929c80dfb5a6ff0a76421263777cb8.png
image.thumb.png.859d7d2ee49c9f1e3cb822590af03b32.png
image.thumb.png.a06df234c0e1de09245ffc2e9f9a5a0b.png

Only Washington St had worse attendance than Stanford.

But you see the 4 with shittiest attendance(Cal, Stanford, Oregon St, and Washington St) teams who are near the bottom of conference realignment list and had to beg their way into ACC ad very reduced cost. These 4 teams over inflate themselves.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, statsman said:

In a very old movie, called “Say Anything”, John Cusack’s character is getting advice from his loser friends about how to manage his relationship with Ione Skye. He asks them, “If you guys know so much about girls, why are you hanging out on Friday night at a 7-11 parking lot?”

“Choice!”, they all answer. 

That’s what seeing Okie State, Baylor and ISU fans Stan for the Big XII reminds me of. 

Very old?

What are you? 15?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Could you reword this using English words and grammar

Do you think that if you keep repeating 5,000 in attendance for Stanford football, people will believe it?

Do you think that if you keep repeating that people/ networks care about Stanford football, people will believe it?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

I for one can't wait for the first school to let that PE genie out of the bottle and watch the shit show unfold as they slowly realize what a terrible idea it was.

Worked for a software company that had previously taken "investment" from Vista and came to find out said company was as hollowed out and rotten on the inside as a jack-o-lantern on November 15th...not sure what the equivalent of that is gonna look like in college athletics but it won't be pretty.

I’m a Vista refugee myself. Fuck them.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, LTbear said:

Could you reword this using English words and grammar

how fucking old are you, the song Stan came out like 25 years ago. Are you THAT allergic to black people that you won't even listen to white rappers?

https://www.oed.com/dictionary/stan_v?tl=true

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/us/definition/english/stan_1

hope this helps, boomer.

Edited by WelfareBuysMyWeed
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

how fucking old are you, the song Stan came out like 25 years ago. Are you THAT allergic to black people that you won't even listen to white rappers?

https://www.oed.com/dictionary/stan_v?tl=true

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/us/definition/english/stan_1

hope this helps, boomer.

I don't listen to rap at all, mi amigo 

7 hours ago, LTbear said:

His weird mission is his belief that nobody will watch the Big XII without Texas. Like nobody whatsoever, it’s either lots of people watch or zero people watch, nothing in between. So even though the Big XII contract is half of the SEC and BIG, it’s still too high, because the rating will be Animal House 0.00. He then sets up in his own mind that Big XII fans that push back on that stupid opinion thinks that the Big XII is the same as SEC and BIG, when all of us have routinely accepted that ratings will be less but still healthy, ergo the media people paying less but still pretty well. His posts are all basically identical at this point.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

His weird mission is his belief that nobody will watch the Big XII without Texas. Like nobody whatsoever, it’s either lots of people watch or zero people watch, nothing in between. So even though the Big XII contract is half of the SEC and BIG, it’s still too high, because the rating will be Animal House 0.00. He then sets up in his own mind that Big XII fans that push back on that stupid opinion thinks that the Big XII is the same as SEC and BIG, when all of us have routinely accepted that ratings will be less but still healthy, ergo the media people paying less but still pretty well. His posts are all basically identical at this point.

Sounds like one of those dudes who gets some large portion of his self esteem via the performance of a football team associated with his university. Usually more of an Aggy thing. 

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, 'stache said:

That is quite a strawman. Kudos

Here is my real point- you Big 12 left behinders don’t understand how much you have been free riding, and I will laugh and laugh as it becomes clear. I intend to post rating for your games (that aren’t on streaming) as they become available. 

I will follow Big XII football so as to see who is being developed in our minor league, for portal transfer. 

Edited by statsman

Just now, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

You also apparently don't watch tv, read the internet, watch movies, read books, etc., pendejo.

Books, yes. TV: college football and nature documentaries. What book or Attenborough documentary was this song mentioned in? 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, statsman said:

Here is my real point- you Big 12 left behinders don’t understand how much you have been free riding, and I will laugh and laugh as it becomes clear. I intend to post rating for your games (that aren’t on streaming) as they become available. 

I will follow Big XII football so as to see who is being developed in our minor league, for portal transfer. 

I agree, you set up a hell of a straw man to pop up every few weeks and post the exact same shit, over, and over, and over again. Say it again!!! Freeloaders! Leeches!!! Moar!!!

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, statsman said:

Holy shit man you really have gone full Aggy 

23 minutes ago, LTbear said:

Sounds like one of those dudes who gets some large portion of his self esteem via the performance of a football team associated with his university. Usually more of an Aggy thing. 

It’s exactly that, followed up with the same insult, like always.

• Haha 1

This is the thread where we mock the left behind. It always has been. Nobody forces you to click. I’m sorry if you’re feelings are hurt. 

(I wonder why you decided the internationally renowned campus with a real football history was what you decided to mock for wanting to be in the big leagues despite a current lack of campus support, when there is another campus in Dallas, competing for recruits with you, claiming a big league spot and exulting in their lack of fan support. Is it just more fun to claim superiority over Stanford than over SMU?). 

2 minutes ago, statsman said:

(I wonder why you decided the internationally renowned campus with a real football history was what you decided to mock for wanting to be in the big leagues despite a current lack of campus support, when there is another campus in Dallas, competing for recruits with you, claiming a big league spot and exulting in their lack of fan support. Is it just more fun to claim superiority over Stanford than over SMU?). 

Who are you talking to? @Al_4_ISU?

3 hours ago, statsman said:

spacer.png

• Haha 2

I’m gonna be honest……I’m a longhorn fan and love college football. I could care less about any tv ratings and conference affiliation. I just want to watch college football. Oklahoma st. Vs Utah at 1130 central on the food network. I’m all in. Football and alcohol all day is fine with me. Now if UT loses that day fuck all of colllege football for at least 2 weeks for me. Carry on nerds 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Hookem10 said:

I’m gonna be honest……I’m a longhorn fan and love college football. I could care less about any tv ratings and conference affiliation. I just want to watch college football. Oklahoma st. Vs Utah at 1130 central on the food network. I’m all in. Football and alcohol all day is fine with me. Now if UT loses that day fuck all of colllege football for at least 2 weeks for me. Carry on nerds 

Same. Hell I have a blast watching or going to the games of my current employer, which is an FCS school (University of Montana). 

• Like 2

Same. Hell I have a blast watching or going to the games of my current employer, which is an FCS school (University of Montana). 

The Griz’ environment is a hell of a home field advantage. I was there in ‘94 when they knocked off my MSU Cowboys to go to the NC in Chattanooga. Cold as a MFr for my Louisiana boys and me!

Hook’em!!!
  • Hook 'Em 1

In ‘02 MSU knocked off both Montana State and the Griz, in order to go to Chattanooga, but we got beat by WKU for the title. Coached by Harbaugh (Dad) we beat them by over 20+ in September, but I guess they made adjustments during the season and we didn’t? Undefeated and ranked #1 all season.

That was a long drive back home to LC!

Hook’em!!

Enough FCS talk!