Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Makes me sad to know there’s a segment of so called college football fans (including a few on surly) who don’t think anybody but the top 20-25 “blue bloods” should be playing ball and everyone else should fold up their programs and just play school. Would sorely miss all the awesome atmospheres at smaller programs like this if that were to happen.

Who has ever posted that?

I know Al, the ISU guy, demeaned Stanford for wanting a place at the big table despite not being enthusiastic enough for his tastes, but I don’t think he said they should quit football. 

Edited by statsman

57 minutes ago, statsman said:

Who has ever posted that?

I know Al, the ISU guy, demeaned Stanford for wanting a place at the big table despite not being enthusiastic enough for his tastes, but I don’t think he said they should quit football. 

I mean, you guys constantly shit on us and there are schools who care less, and ergo deserve less.  This is entertainment.  Stanford football clearly isn't entertaining to very many people.  I don't think they should be cancelled or relegated or whatever, but nearly every Big 12 program has more enthusiasm and interest surrounding it despite the history, academics, etc.

57 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This thread always delivers. It’s the same cycle of posters saying mostly the same thing over and over again. It’s like watching Seinfeld reruns for me. Holy shit. 

Hits close to home, for multiple instances. This is particularly accurate for the Seinfeld comparison, in a reverse direction - this thread is considerably more entertaining. 

Well, other than Julia Louis-Dreyfus versus LTBear's avatar. 

11 hours ago, LTbear said:

I've posted this photo before, but it's relevant again. Just a fantastic stadium and environment to see a game in.

PXL_20231118_2154488672-min.thumb.jpg.925e2a34ef35559f1aeda5a95c961426.jpg

I have always been partial to App State and Air Force football fields. The smaller venues really show off the landscape in a number of places:

KBS_aerial_May2021a.jpg?width=1000&heigh

UDcTvfG4_400x400.jpg

• Hook 'Em 9

42 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I have always been partial to App State and Air Force football fields. The smaller venues really show off the landscape in a number of places:

KBS_aerial_May2021a.jpg?width=1000&heigh

UDcTvfG4_400x400.jpg

I have a running list of stadiums I want to see a game in someday and App State is high up there. Just about the only "mountain" stadium east of the Rockies. 

24 minutes ago, mdmost said:

So the Big 12 will still play the former Pac 12 for the next 2 years in the Alamo Bowl.

Holy hell this is stupid.

5 minutes ago, Saint Austin said:

So what are the chances it's a '24 Big 12 rematch with a "traditional" Big 12 team vs. a Pac refugee?

I think they'll try their best to slide one of the Big 10 schools or OSU/Wazzu in there.

If it's Big 12 on Big 12 I'd have to imagine they'd try and avoid a rematch.  Most traditional Big 12 schools only play one or two newcomers this year.

6 minutes ago, Saint Austin said:

So what are the chances it's a '24 Big 12 rematch with a "traditional" Big 12 team vs. a Pac refugee?

Would assume they would try and get one of the ex-Pac thats in the B1G first, and if that doesn't work out at least get a non rematch from an ex-Pac Big 12 team, but yeah failing those two options rematch defiantly on the table. 

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

This thread always delivers. It’s the same cycle of posters saying mostly the same thing over and over again. It’s like watching Seinfeld reruns for me. Holy shit. 

Fun Drinking GIF by Stan.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, LTbear said:

I have a running list of stadiums I want to see a game in someday and App State is high up there. Just about the only "mountain" stadium east of the Rockies. 

The JMU/AppState games are real fun ones and up in little stadiums in the mountains with rabid fans.

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

So the Big 12 will still play the former Pac 12 for the next 2 years in the Alamo Bowl.

“And we don’t like issues.”

Edited by Hurtlocker
  • Hook 'Em 1

Jesus, PAC is in full zombie mode. Looks really unlikely there would be a Big 12 rematch bowl game, but still. Could they not have split up the PAC bowl bids proportionate to their new conferences? Or is it because ORST and WSU would run into difficulties? There has to be a better solution to that issue.

12 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Jesus, PAC is in full zombie mode. Looks really unlikely there would be a Big 12 rematch bowl game, but still. Could they not have split up the PAC bowl bids proportionate to their new conferences? Or is it because ORST and WSU would run into difficulties? There has to be a better solution to that issue.

All the bowls want the Big Ten schools so they don’t want to sign up exclusively for OSU/WSU or the 4corner schools when they could hit the lottery and get an underperforming USC.

2 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

All the bowls want the Big Ten schools so they don’t want to sign up exclusively for OSU/WSU or the 4corner schools when they could hit the lottery and get an underperforming USC.

I am surprised the B1G allowed that.

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I am surprised the B1G allowed that.

B1G went from 14 teams for 8.5 bowls to 18 teams for 7 bowls when the playoffs took their bids to the Rose/Orange. Like the Big 12, who last year didn’t have enough contractual tie ins for all of its bowl eligible teams, the Big Ten may need access to these extra bowls.

Some of these numbers may be outdated but it appears that the SEC/ACC have enough bowl games to cover their teams while the Big Ten and Big 12 may not.

B1G: 14teams/8.5bowls > 18teams/7bowls 38% coverage
SEC: 14/11.5 > 16/9 56%
B12: 10/7 > 16/6 37%
ACC+ND 15/10 > 18/9 50%
P12 12/7 > 2/6 300%

In a perfect world the Big Ten would take the PAC12’s bid to the Alamo and Sun Bowl while the Big 12 took over the Holiday and LA Bowl, leaving the PAC2 the Las Vegas and Independent.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

B1G went from 14 teams for 8.5 bowls to 18 teams for 7 bowls when the playoffs took their bids to the Rose/Orange. Like the Big 12, who last year didn’t have enough contractual tie ins for all of its bowl eligible teams, the Big Ten may need access to these extra bowls.

Some of these numbers may be outdated but it appears that the SEC/ACC have enough bowl games to cover their teams while the Big Ten and Big 12 may not.

ACC+ND 15/10 > 18/9 50%
P12 12/7 > 2/6 300%

In a perfect world the Big Ten would take the PAC12’s bid to the Alamo and Sun Bowl while the Big 12 took over the Holiday and LA Bowl, leaving the PAC2 the Las Vegas and Independent.

Well, considering that you will likely get a minimum of 2 qualifiers for the CFP, and likely 3 or even 4 this season, that would take the total to 10-11 spots for 18 teams. Then you look around and see what is left and I don't think anyone is going to cry over not seeing 5-7 Rutgers, Indiana, Northwestern, Purdue, Maryland, Illinois, etc. in a bowl.  

Edited by Vertigo

10 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

ACC+ND 15/10 > 18/9 50%
P12 12/7 > 2/6 300%

I guess it makes some sense that the Pac bowls under their existing contracts don't want to be subordinated. The bargain they made was for PAC teams in a certain order, so the Alamo Bowl wants whichever of UO or UW or UU or USC don't make the CFP. It's uncertain where they would land if the bowls were reconfigured. It's a result of the PAC dying so suddenly. The USC/UCLA announcement provided some time, but the conference collapsed entirely less than a year ago. Once those contracts are up, and the CFP decides what they fuck it wants to do, the bowl structure will probably be reset. 

One thing the discussion fails to mention is that “bowl eligible” != “bowl selected” as well.

Just because you went 6-6 shouldn’t guarantee a bowl. And we certainly shouldn’t see records under .500 either.

However, as the number isn’t changing, just their conference affiliations for selection, it should all work out in the end. 

On 6/2/2024 at 11:00 PM, LTbear said:

I've posted this photo before, but it's relevant again. Just a fantastic stadium and environment to see a game in.

PXL_20231118_2154488672-min.thumb.jpg.925e2a34ef35559f1aeda5a95c961426.jpg

Hiker/backpacker that I am, if I was there, I'd rather hike up those beautiful hills, because they're there, than see some nobody play football.  Lulz.

• Haha 1

On 6/3/2024 at 12:14 PM, TKthunder2 said:

Maybe Utah and Baylor can play a 2nd non conference game there?

LOL we aren't going to be bowl eligible.

Although give me the Alamo Bowl almost every year. They do that game up right and we're not UT where we look down upon it.

2 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:

Hiker/backpacker that I am, if I was there, I'd rather hike up those beautiful hills, because they're there, than see some nobody play football.  Lulz.

I've done both in one day, makes for a great day 

• Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

LOL we aren't going to be bowl eligible.

Although give me the Alamo Bowl almost every year. They do that game up right and we're not UT where we look down upon it.

Low expectations are kinda nice, no?

16 hours ago, LTbear said:

I've done both in one day, makes for a great day 

Yeah first thing that came to my mind was, why not both....morning hike, tailgate, game, post game mountain view drinks and grill.

• Hook 'Em 1

Since some sort of pay for play model is on the horizon, wouldn't players in bowl games get an extra 1/13th of their salary? Where would this extra pay come from? Half the bowl games make no money. On top of that half the time the teams/schools often lose money on a bowl game. Over the years I've seen numerous articles on how UT or Tech or OkSt lost money on a trip to the Holiday Bowl or Citrus Bowl etc. So how will there be money for the extra salary? Asking for a friend.

2 hours ago, CustersDoctor said:

Since some sort of pay for play model is on the horizon, wouldn't players in bowl games get an extra 1/13th of their salary? Where would this extra pay come from? Half the bowl games make no money. On top of that half the time the teams/schools often lose money on a bowl game. Over the years I've seen numerous articles on how UT or Tech or OkSt lost money on a trip to the Holiday Bowl or Citrus Bowl etc. So how will there be money for the extra salary? Asking for a friend.

Unless something changes, they aren't employees, there isn't any salary per se. Just more of X for the season or such.

2 hours ago, CustersDoctor said:

There is no viable solution for bowl games in this era of CFB. The NCAA would be better off doing multiple playoff tiers. Most bowls don't make enough money for any NIL incentives, let alone enough to get the top players to play instead of opting out. If you had a 16 team playoff and then a G5 16 team playoff, not only would it make more money, it would keep all of the top players opted in for the games. Then you could take a few of the top bowls and have them host a best of the rest type of setup. 6 win teams should not have post seasons.  

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, Vertigo said:

There is no viable solution for bowl games in this era of CFB. The NCAA would be better off doing multiple playoff tiers. Most bowls don't make enough money for any NIL incentives, let alone enough to get the top players to play instead of opting out. If you had a 16 team playoff and then a G5 16 team playoff, not only would it make more money, it would keep all of the top players opted in for the games. Then you could take a few of the top bowls and have them host a best of the rest type of setup. 6 win teams should not have post seasons.  

Yeah you don't even need to go that far you just need to take them all.    Even if the top 12/16 are play in, you can still match up 17/18, 19/20, 20/21, what the fuck ever.    The worst thing really left in CFB is conference affiliations, especially with bowl games.   Now that the Rose is gleefully dead, let's nuke the rest from orbit.

tenor.gif?itemid=4464817

12 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

Yeah first thing that came to my mind was, why not both....morning hike, tailgate, game, post game mountain view drinks and grill.

Missoula has come good breweries too 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1