Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

My God this is such a dumb fucking thread.
And fuck selling naming rights to a soulless insurance company. Fuck everything and everyone who lead college football to this bullshit.

If Yormark invites PE to inject cash into the league, and then the league loses x% of their annual revenue, it is really going to wreck the conference. You will have a few schools that take the money and do fuck all with it. You will have one or two that try to elevate their programs only to grow bitter as they end up losing out in the long run due to the free riders.

And eventually the understanding will settle in, there are a finite number of elite players in the national. And they don’t want to be equally dispersed amongst the 100+ programs.
  • Hook 'Em 3

I'm glad we're moving out of the Rig12. I honestly don't think CDC would be quiet about David Pierce right now if we were still in this shit conference.

Moving to a football/baseball conference has sped up him moving forward (hopefully) with getting a better coach. I believe he would give Pierce one more season to "prove" it, but moving to a competitive conference (Rig12 is a good baseball conference, but not a great one like the SECx3) that truly cares about baseball has shown CDC that it's time we dominate again, quicker. JMO

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Nivek said:

If Yormark invites PE to inject cash into the league, and then the league loses x% of their annual revenue, it is really going to wreck the conference. You will have a few schools that take the money and do fuck all with it. You will have one or two that try to elevate their programs only to grow bitter as they end up losing out in the long run due to the free riders.

And eventually the understanding will settle in, there are a finite number of elite players in the national. And they don’t want to be equally dispersed amongst the 100+ programs.

That’s not going to happen. I don’t really understand the PE thing but it’s not going to be a way to lose money. The terms would be safer, but I think ultimately nothing will happen there. The naming rights thing is dumb but clean infusion of cash. Talent disbursement isn’t going to change. The five star programs will still get the five stars and the rest will get the rest. But ultimately like @Okie State said fuck all this shit. secsecsec

18 hours ago, Nivek said:

I was thinking about this the other day. If they really do impose conference roster limits due to revenue sharing as has been floated, probably the biggest beneficiary will be the B12 schools. If the B1G and SEC suddenly only allow 70 scholarships per school, then that would mean you have about 100 higher tier guys per year who would have otherwise been playing in those conferences having to find a landing spot. It could give rise to a school like Houston, Colorado, UCF, etc because they will be landing those guys that just missed the P2 cut. With reduced roster limits, I could see there being much more parity across the conferences. 

As an example with Texas, we may have never taken Byron Murphy, Barryn Sorrell, or Jelani McDonald late. Maybe we decide to cut the cord on Jaydon Blue out of high school for a lower risk guy. Maybe we don't stick with Christian Jones for as long as we did. Those are impactful guys on our roster that might otherwise be at Oklahoma State or TCU. 

19 hours ago, Okie State said:

My God this is such a dumb fucking thread.

And fuck selling naming rights to a soulless insurance company. Fuck everything and everyone who lead led college football to this bullshit.

FIFY.  Sorry, but this misappropriation of element number 82, symbol Pb, on the Periodic Table of Elements drives me bonkers.  #notusuallyagrammarnazi

• Hook 'Em 2

How would the PE investors get repaid for their investment ? At the returns they expect?

Is it telling that Yormark is pursuing this, and selling naming rights, and not a Big12 network? Or, does ESPN already own all the tier 3 rights?

6 hours ago, statsman said:

How would the PE investors get repaid for their investment ? At the returns they expect?

Is it telling that Yormark is pursuing this, and selling naming rights, and not a Big12 network? Or, does ESPN already own all the tier 3 rights?

I think it's too late for a new network to get established. Cable subscriptions are way down. A Big 12 network would probably have to be a streaming service, and it would get lower subscription and viewership than ESPN+.

19 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

I think it's too late for a new network to get established. Cable subscriptions are way down. A Big 12 network would probably have to be a streaming service, and it would get lower subscription and viewership than ESPN+.

That’s a good point. Considering so many B12 league games (tier 1 content) are already on streaming, it’s hard to imagine subscribers for their tier 3. Probably, the only thing with value is KU tier 3 basketball and wrestling matches between ISU and OSU(?)

Posted (edited)
On 6/16/2024 at 6:15 PM, statsman said:

That’s a good point. Considering so many B12 league games (tier 1 content) are already on streaming, it’s hard to imagine subscribers for their tier 3. Probably, the only thing with value is KU tier 3 basketball and wrestling matches between ISU and OSU(?)

By definition, Tier one isn't streaming.    Those are only games on over the air channels; however, ESPN has been added into that mix as of late.   T2 was all cable channels, e.g. TNT, TBS, ESPN2, ESPNU, FS1, etc.   T3 are all conference branded networks be it linear or streaming.

The only time you'd consider streaming numbers to be Tier one is if they were mirroring games on ABC, as an example.

League games vs non-league games don't define whether something is T1 or not, just the location of where it is broadcast.    Most conference games are dumped on Tier 3, that's kind of why it exists.   

Edited by Hurtlocker

On 6/17/2024 at 6:33 PM, Hurtlocker said:

By definition, Tier one isn't streaming.    Those are only games on over the air channels; however, ESPN has been added into that mix as of late.   T2 was all cable channels, e.g. TNT, TBS, ESPN2, ESPNU, FS1, etc.   T3 are all conference branded networks be it linear or streaming.

The only time you'd consider streaming numbers to be Tier one is if they were mirroring games on ABC, as an example.

League games vs non-league games don't define whether something is T1 or not, just the location of where it is broadcast.    Most conference games are dumped on Tier 3, that's kind of why it exists.   

I get that. My point is that a conference’s tier 1 content should come from league games, and solid non-conference games. Tier 2 should be where the less attractive league games go. It’s a problem when league games are streamed. Last year, a lot of Baylor games streamed. Baylor won the B12 just a couple of years ago. 

Left Behind fans crow a lot about their media revenue and how it is superior to the ACC (not really so, when you add the ACC network revenue to the mix). The next contract after this one will be very telling. 

3 hours ago, statsman said:

I get that. My point is that a conference’s tier 1 content should come from league games, and solid non-conference games. Tier 2 should be where the less attractive league games go. It’s a problem when league games are streamed. Last year, a lot of Baylor games streamed. Baylor won the B12 just a couple of years ago. 

Left Behind fans crow a lot about their media revenue and how it is superior to the ACC (not really so, when you add the ACC network revenue to the mix). The next contract after this one will be very telling. 

Happens in all the leagues though, its literally why BTN was created and rest of the conference nets to follow.   Monetizing unsold inventory.

Notable games on the SECN last year: Clemson/SC, Vandy/Tenn, Kentucky/SC, Arkansas/Auburn, LSU/Florida, or basically any vandy or SC or Missouri game.   There will be more as inventory expands. 

For the B1G you have your Minnesota/Illinois, Purdue/Indiana, Rutgers/Iowa, Nebraska/NW, etc.   

Its all the conference games where the match up is either great and you force someone to subscribe or meh and you pay for the game with carriage instead of advertising.   The Vandy and Kentucky games next year are ripe for SEC Network.   They've already dumped the ULMonroe to streaming to gain subscriptions.

The ACC and B12 aren't behind on media revenue because of T2 and T3, all of those games suck, doesn't matter if your turd is polished or not, it sucks.   They are behind from T1 audience.   A decade ago each conference had around 3 big brands and the Big 12 had 4, but was managed by a bunch of dumbasses.   You needed at three to keep enough T1 inventory going each week to generate higher values.   Now those Tier One brands are consolidated as viewership (when winning) is Michigan>Ohio State>Texas>Alabama>Georgia>USC>Penn State>Oklahoma>LSU>Nebraska>Florida is better than any property left at the ACC/B12.   Iowa State/TCU generated 4m, but Michigan/Ohio State generates nearly 20m.  That's what broadcasters are consolidating, and you will see more games highlighted between those brands.   That's what drives the needle, not the 4m games...the 10m.

Only way they'll top that in the next media cycle is:

• generate more audience or show audience growth over time of the contract
  • win in the post season at a healthy clip
  • Hook 'Em 2