Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

3 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I guess to precisely that point, . . . I was looking at the schedule of weekday games this week, because those are often a lot of fun and I like having them in the background while I do other shit around the house after work.  And so I see Okie State at BYU on Friday.  And it occurs to me . . . I don't have the first fucking clue what Okie State's record is.  Are they any good?  Are they terrible?  Is Coach Whatshisface on the hotseat?  

I have no clue.  Do any of you?

And what about Tech.  Or Baylor.  Or TCU.  Ok--I know TCU got its shit pushed in by SMU, and that was awesome.  But apart from that?  Absolutely no fucking clue.

God, I love this post-Big12 reality in which not only do I not have to care about those programs; I'm blissfully unaware that they even exist.

I watch all college football but it has been nice to not care about them since no one in or around our state is worth watching.

Going off memory here…

TCU beat Stanford early but lost to Houston and SMU and it isn’t looking pretty.

Baylor has lost every game of consequence so far.

Tech lost to Wazzu, nearly lost to ACU, but is so far undefeated in conference play though I don’t think they’ve played anyone significant yet.

Okie State beat Arkansas but hasn’t won a conference game. Their old QB looks pedestrian and Ollie Gordon lost millions by not going in the draft last year because he looks unimpressive.

K State got upset by BYU (who is undefeated and ranked) but has a few solid wins.

BYU has that one win but nothing else really.

Undefeated/ranked Iowa State finally beat Iowa and got a validation win against WVU.

Kansas, Arizona, UCF, and Utah were all expected to be above average to good this year but aren’t. Cam Rising is injured again at Utah.

I can’t tell you anything about Cincy and Arizona State (other than they beat Mississippi State) and have no idea how they are doing in conference play.

And Colorado is better than last year but is still an incomplete team being carried by some very talented players. You can not like the way it’s being done but it’s getting results. They lost to the two best teams they’ve played in K State and Nebraska, squeaked out victories against Baylor and NDSU, but they demolished Colorado State and UCF. They should make a bowl this year and finish with 7 wins (plus or minus one).

And that’s all I can really tell you about the Big 12 which is about the same amount I could tell you about the Big Ten, less than the SEC, and more than the ACC or G5.

The CBS guys keep talking up Boise State as the possible 4 seed over the Big 12 Champion. 

I just don’t see it unless the Big 12 Champ has 3 losses. Boise’s best win is going to be to Wazzou or Oregon State. 

Tech, Arizona State, BYU, Iowa State, and Kansas State are all going to have at least 1 or 2 top 25 wins if they win the conference. Pretty decent chance Boise won’t have 1. 

The fun Big XII stat is there have been 21 teams in the Big XII (16 current + 5 former).

Texas holds scoreboard over every single team except Cincinnati whom we've never played

Oklahoma 2024
Oklahoma State 2023
Texas Tech 2023
Iowa State 2023
TCU 2023
Kansas State 2023
BYU 2023
Houston 2023
Kansas 2023
Baylor 2023
West Virginia 2022
Colorado 2020
Utah 2019
Missouri 2017
Texas A&M 2011
Nebraska 2010
UCF 2009
Arizona State 2007
Arizona 1925
Cincinnati N/A

• Hook 'Em 9

11 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

The fun Big XII stat is there have been 21 teams in the Big XII (16 current + 5 former).

Texas holds scoreboard over every single team except Cincinnati whom we've never played

Oklahoma 2024
Oklahoma State 2023
Texas Tech 2023
Iowa State 2023
TCU 2023
Kansas State 2023
BYU 2023
Houston 2023
Kansas 2023
Baylor 2023
West Virginia 2022
Colorado 2020
Utah 2019
Missouri 2017
Texas A&M 2011
Nebraska 2010
UCF 2009
Arizona State 2007
Arizona 1925
Cincinnati N/A

We hold all time scoreboard on 19 of them. We are .500 with West Virginia (6-6) and have a losing record to BYU (2-4) thanks to playing them in the 80’s and 2010’s (Mack’s last year and Strong’s first year).

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

We hold all time scoreboard on 19 of them. We are .500 with West Virginia (6-6) and have a losing record to BYU (2-4) thanks to playing them in the 80’s and 2010’s (Mack’s last year and Strong’s first year).

I believe that means we hold all time scoreboard on 17 of them... 

2 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

I believe that means we hold all time scoreboard on 17 of them... 

Yep weird miscount on my part- Colorado leaving and coming back messed with my thinking on it as I was counting them twice and I guess I was including another somehow as well.

17 we hold winning all time record over-Nebraska, Mizzou, Oklahoma, aggy, UCF, Iowa St, Kansas, K State, Okie St, Houston, TCU, Baylor, Tech, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Arizona St

1 we split with - West Virginia 

1 we’ve never played - Cincinnati 

1 we having a losing record against- BYU

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

I guess I was including another somehow as well.

Well it would be hard for us to hold scoreboard over Texas even though we have beaten ourselves many times over the years haha

We are one of the 21 ;-)

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

I am pretty sure that when someone claims we hold scoreboard over another team, they simply mean we won the most recent head-to-head matchup. They are not referring to all-time record.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

Kansas and Baylor back where they belong I see.  Tech being so high is crazy, IMO.

Bears repeating. 

FWIW, Matt Rhule thought he had Joey McGuire lined up to be the next Baylor head coach when he left. Mack Rhoades, the Baylor athletic director, didn't think McGuire prepared enough for his interview, and selected Dave Aranda. McGuire was still on staff during the 2021 season when Baylor won the Sugar bowl, the only major bowl win in their history. McGuire left for Texas Tech the next season. When announcing McGuire leaving, Rhoades said he told him to get his stuff and get out. He's the enemy now. 

Aranda got a big extension and raise after the Sugar Bowl win. The only reason he's still there is because after last season, the BMDs were not willing to buy out the contract. I quit covering Baylor, and lost access to their 9.95 site year before last (I could not handle another Dave Aranda interview,) but at that time, fans were already asking why Rhoades went with Aranda. McGuire isn't all that and a bag of chips, but he is a competent coach. Aranda doesn't run the program. The program runs around him. 

I know nobody here gives two shits about Baylor or Tech, so dropping this in this thread. Baylor has dropped back to Kevin Steel and Guy Morriss levels of incompetence, and it will take them years to recover, if they do. 

• Hook 'Em 5

19 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

I really dislike these large conferences without divisions

It's dumb. Miami, Clemson and SMU - the 3 best teams in the ACC right now - don't play each other. Like there isn't one game between any of them during the season. You could theoretically wind up with three teams going 8-0 in conference. 

But if you do divisions - then you'd have - what - one game against the other division per season? 

I'm not sure what the solution is. 

41 minutes ago, Richard Kimball said:

Bears repeating. 

FWIW, Matt Rhule thought he had Joey McGuire lined up to be the next Baylor head coach when he left. Mack Rhoades, the Baylor athletic director, didn't think McGuire prepared enough for his interview, and selected Dave Aranda. McGuire was still on staff during the 2021 season when Baylor won the Sugar bowl, the only major bowl win in their history. McGuire left for Texas Tech the next season. When announcing McGuire leaving, Rhoades said he told him to get his stuff and get out. He's the enemy now. 

Aranda got a big extension and raise after the Sugar Bowl win. The only reason he's still there is because after last season, the BMDs were not willing to buy out the contract. I quit covering Baylor, and lost access to their 9.95 site year before last (I could not handle another Dave Aranda interview,) but at that time, fans were already asking why Rhoades went with Aranda. McGuire isn't all that and a bag of chips, but he is a competent coach. Aranda doesn't run the program. The program runs around him. 

I know nobody here gives two shits about Baylor or Tech, so dropping this in this thread. Baylor has dropped back to Kevin Steel and Guy Morriss levels of incompetence, and it will take them years to recover, if they do. 

image.gif.2fc3488e1a45da748bb4a3f8c3db48ed.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

It's dumb. Miami, Clemson and SMU - the 3 best teams in the ACC right now - don't play each other. Like there isn't one game between any of them during the season. You could theoretically wind up with three teams going 8-0 in conference. 

But if you do divisions - then you'd have - what - one game against the other division per season? 

Yes, and the scheduling is a complete crapshoot. If you're in a conference with just 8 conference games, you don't play half the league. You might have 1 or 2 common opponents with another league team that you have to break a tie with.

Edited by The Hot Dog Buffet

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

SMU probably gets fucked out of the ACC Championship in this scenario.

1 minute ago, DFW Horn said:

SMU probably gets fucked out of the ACC Championship in this scenario.

Who knows what tiebreaker it would wind up going to. It wouldn't be a 2008 B12 south scenario because everyone's schedule is different. 

I looked at it the other day and I think it comes down to something like conference opponent winning %. 

(I do not think all 3 teams will go 8-0, tbf)

6 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Big 12 Conference Standings

Screenshot_20241015-131434_kindlephoto-2453938.png.23b959f1cbfc6d788953a282b8a9e1ff.png

4 of bottom 5 teams are really surprising... 

Let's revisit the Week 2 AP Top 25

11. Utah

16. Oklahoma State

17 KSU

19. Kansas

20. Arizona

4 out of 5 of thoses ranked teams are probably reasonable. But Kansas?  Kansas?

3 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Let's revisit the Week 2 AP Top 25

11. Utah

16. Oklahoma State

17 KSU

19. Kansas

20. Arizona

4 out of 5 of thoses ranked teams are probably reasonable. But Kansas?  Kansas?

I made a thread about this. You may have missed it. 

• Haha 1

Week 7 Latest:

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

KSU at CU provided great late night ratings. The B12 has found its niche: good ratings for games played Friday and Saturday night. Call it the “Best of the Rest” or the “Cream of the Crap” strategy. 

Cincy at UCF drew 280k viewers Saturday afternoon. Maybe the expansion strategy of “ascending programs in high population states” needs more time. 

Of course, no B12 schools from Texas or Oklahoma played last weekend. I think the TV and B12 execs knew no one would tune in. 

Edited by statsman

22 hours ago, ztejas said:

The solution is more, smaller, regional conferences. Our Football Supreme Ruler ESPN would never allow that however. 

• Rage+1 1

Bowman has struggled. Of course, his senior laden offensive line can’t seem to find the “extra defender in the box” to block, so Ollie Gordon hasn’t been able to do shit, and it’s fucked the entire offense. Rangel is worthless, would probably ride the bench at Tulsa, so yeah, it’s gonna be bad, and we’re gonna miss our first bowl game since Gundy’s first season in 2005.

It’s kind of crazy how pathetic Okie State has been this season. They returned like 20 of 22 starters from a 9-4 team. The run game, until last night, has been dogshit. That they somehow beat a resurgent Arkansas team is also absurd. 

They play:

-@Baylor

-ASU

-@TCU

-Texas Tech

-@Colorado

I would normally assume a finish of 4-1/5-0 with that schedule. Now? The only record that would actually surprise me would be 5-0. Anything from 0-5 to 4-1 has a case that can be plausibly made by any casual CFB fan. 

25 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I thought Utah was going to run this conference. I missed the wrong team from Utah. BYU has such a great home field advantage. I don't think BYU will go undefeated but they have a great shot with away games at Utah and Arizona State being their toughest remaining tests. 

Utah with a healthy Cam and without Cam are two different teams.

The former could have run away with the B12.

Strange year for sure. Bowman’s arthristis is kicking in I guess and both the backups are out for the year. Bunch of injuries on an already weak defense and we can’t stop anybody or tackle. I guess a truly bad year was inevitable. I’d probably prefer ISU win the conference over BYU but honestly don’t care all that much. At least ou sucks.

Checking in on Conference-Big 12. ISU (#10 AP, 16 Sagarin) and BYU (#11 AP, 18 Sagarin) are undefeated and not scheduled to play each other. There is one other ranked C-B12 team, KSU, and they are on ISU’s schedule. 

ISU’s best win is Iowa, a very mid B1G team. BYU’s best win is SMU (they trounced KSU earlier, too). 

Does anyone feel that, should any defeated ISU meet an undefeated BYU in the C-B12 CG, both teams should make the CFP? Why or why not?

1 hour ago, statsman said:

Checking in on Conference-Big 12. ISU (#10 AP, 16 Sagarin) and BYU (#11 AP, 18 Sagarin) are undefeated and not scheduled to play each other. There is one other ranked C-B12 team, KSU, and they are on ISU’s schedule. 

ISU’s best win is Iowa, a very mid B1G team. BYU’s best win is SMU (they trounced KSU earlier, too). 

Does anyone feel that, should any defeated ISU meet an undefeated BYU in the C-B12 CG, both teams should make the CFP? Why or why not?

That’s a difficult hypothetical to answer in a vacuum not knowing what the body of work looks like for other teams in the running. This has been a very different season from past years with multiple top teams taking a loss before the CCGs. 

19 hours ago, statsman said:

from what I've seen of the Big 12 this year, the conference winner should be playing the in FCS playoffs, not FBS.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, royiv said:

That’s a difficult hypothetical to answer in a vacuum not knowing what the body of work looks like for other teams in the running. This has been a very different season from past years with multiple top teams taking a loss before the CCGs. 

I think we know that if ISU and BYU finish undefeated, before the CCG, ISU’s best win will be Iowa and BYU’s best win will be SMU.