Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

11 hours ago, statsman said:

I know that the coaches poll is just a starting point, and that teams will rise and fall through the season, but at the start, here are the B12 games between two ranked teams:

Utah at OSU

Arizona at Utah

OSU at KSU (same day as Ari at Utah)

KU at KSU

WVU scheduled PSU and UH scheduled OU, but none of the preseason ranked B12 teams scheduled ranked teams for OOC. 

KSU and Arizona are playing a nonconference game and both teams are ranked.

• Hook 'Em 1

The list was generated by AI, anyway. Absolutely no human being would rank Boulder and Lubbock first and second for location. Boulder, sure, but Lubbock, no. The AI was just using a search with "location" as a key word and counted all of the times people talk about Lubbock's shitty location as a positive.

• Haha 1

On 8/5/2024 at 9:06 PM, statsman said:

I know that the coaches poll is just a starting point, and that teams will rise and fall through the season, but at the start, here are the B12 games between two ranked teams:

Utah at OSU

Arizona at Utah

OSU at KSU (same day as Ari at Utah)

KU at KSU

WVU scheduled PSU and UH scheduled OU, but none of the preseason ranked B12 teams scheduled ranked teams for OOC. 

Unless, of course, you count our dumb-asses for scheduling the #1 team in FCS.

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Unless, of course, you count our dumb-asses for scheduling the #1 team in FCS.

Also not our fault that the mighty sec pigs are bad this year. Game was scheduled years ago. And yeah, SDSU is probably well in the top half of quality non-con opponents for the Big XII.

Edited by 'stache

21 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Also not our fault that the mighty sec pigs are bad this year. Game was scheduled years ago. And yeah, SDSU is probably well in the top half of quality non-con opponents for the Big XII.

Sadly, Okie State probably has the most respectable non-con in the Big 12 this year. 

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Sadly, Okie State probably has the most respectable non-con in the Big 12 this year. 

West Virginia plays Penn State and UCF plays Florida. Those are games that come to my mind as more important than OSU v Pig.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

"Top 10 Big 12 Football Nonconference Games of 2024"

Screenshot_20240808-173209_kindlephoto-11051559.thumb.png.746390d4f9dd9108117d8137e32a14e3.png

With plenty of top matchups to choose from, we picked the top 10 nonconference games in the Big 12 this upcoming season. Take a look.

10. SOUTH DAKOTA STATE AT OKLAHOMA STATE

SAT, AUG. 31 | TBA | ESPN+ | STILLWATER, OK

This one might catch some of you off guard, but there’s a very good chance that Mike Gundy’s group finds themselves in quite a battle to open the season against the Jackrabbits of South Dakota State. By no means is that a knock on the Cowboys, In fact, I expect them to be among the best teams in the Big 12. It’s a testament to the fact that SDSU has won back-to-back national championships at the FCS level and last lost a game on September 3, 2022—a 7-3 defeat at the hands of Iowa.

9. HOUSTON AT OKLAHOMA

SAT, SEP. 7 | 6:45 P.M. CT | SEC NETWORK | NORMAN, OK

Despite sharing the Big 12 for the 2023 season, UH and OU didn’t meet on the football field. However, they will do just that in Week 2 of 2024. The Sooners’ who will be playing in their second game as members of the SEC, will play host to Willie Fritz and the Cougars in Norman. Just a few seasons ago, Fritz took Tulane into Oklahoma Memorial Stadium and nearly upset Lincoln Riley’s Sooners. Can he do it again with the Coogs?

8. BYU AT SMU

FRI, SEP 6 | 6:00 P.M. CT | ESPN2 | DALLAS, TX

If you’d have said this was a Big 12 vs. ACC battle three years ago, most folks would’ve either called you crazy or just flat ignored you. However, that’s exactly what it will be when the Cougars and Mustangs meet in Dallas in Week 2. These two programs have met four times and as recently as 2022, with BYU winning all four meetings. The 2022 matchup was as close as it gets, with Kalani Sitake’s group inching past Rhett Lashlee’s Mustangs in a 24-23 victory in the New Mexico Bowl.

7. ARKANSAS AT OKLAHOMA STATE

SAT, SEP. 7 | 11:00 A.M. CT | ABC | STILLWATER, OK

While less than 190 miles of high separate Stillwater (OK) and Fayetteville (AR), the Cowboys and Razorbacks haven’t met in nearly half a century. A lot has changed for both of these programs since they last met back in 1980, and Arkansas carries a five-game winning streak into this year’s tilt. However, they’ll likely be somewhere around a touchdown dog on the road, and Mike Gundy will have all the reason in the world to lean heavily on Ollie Gordon.

6. WEST VIRGINIA AT PITT

SAT, SEP. 14 | 2:30 P.M. CT | TBA | PITTSBURGH, PA

The Backyard Brawl is always must-see TV, and even though it’s not the top nonconference game the WVU will be playing this year, the Mountaineers trip to Pittsburgh is going to be something you’ll want to tune in for. In 2022, Pat Narduzzi’s squad used a late pick-six to take down WVU, 38-31, but last season it was Neal Brown’s group that won a defensive battle, 17-6.

5. IOWA STATE AT IOWA

SAT, SEP. 7 | TBD | CBS | IOWA CITY, IA

The CyHawk rivalry is one of the most underrated games of the year, and each of the last two matchups have lived up to the billing. In 2022, Matt Campbell and the ‘Clones got their first win—a low-scoring 10-7 affair—over the Hawkeyes since 2014. Last year, in Ames, Kirk Ferentz and the Hawkeyes got revenge with a 20-13 win. The road team has won each of the last three games in this rivalry, which bodes well for Rocco Becht and Co.

4. PENN STATE AT WEST VIRGINIA

SAT, AUG. 31 | TBD | FOX | MORGANTOWN, WV

One of the most lopsided rivalries in all of college football has not been kind to the Mountaineers, as Penn State leads their all-time series, 49-9-2. Last season, the Nittany Lions extended their active win streak over WVU to five games with a 38-15 win in Happy Valley. However, coming to Morgantown on the heels of a 9-4 season, and in the season opener no less, is going to be a much bigger challenge for James Franklin’s squad. You’ll want to tune in for this one, as it could be one of those early outcomes that flips college football on its head.

3. COLORADO AT NEBRASKA

SAT, SEP. 7 | 6:30 P.M. CT | NBC | LINCOLN, NE

One of the most underrated rivalries of all-time was dormant for a while after Colorado and Nebraska went to different conferences in the realignment wave of 2011. However, the Buffs and Huskers picked things back up last year with Colorado winning at home, 36-14. Now, Deion Sanders and the Buffaloes must go to Memorial Stadium in Lincoln, Nebraska, where they’ve won just one time in the last 20 years. The good news is Colorado carries a three-game winning streak into this game and has two of the best athletes in the country on their side of the field.

2. UCF AT FLORIDA

SAT, OCT. 5 | TBA | 6:00 P.M.-8:00 P.M. | GAINESVILLE, FL

UCF vs. Florida was very nearly the No. 1 nonconference game on this list, and I wouldn’t argue if someone swapped it out for that position. The Knights and Gators will have plenty to play for in this game, and the timing has a ton to do with it. With this nonconference game stretching into Week 6, both UCF and Florida will have two games of conference play behind them. This in-state matchup will provide one team with some momentum to build on and the other a devastating loss that will serve as ammo in the ever-evolving recruiting battle. UCF and Florida have met three times total, with UCF’s only win coming in their most recent matchup—a 29-17 win in the 2021 Gasparilla Bowl.

1. ARIZONA AT KANSAS STATE

FRI, SEP. 13 | 7:00 P.M. CT | FOX | MANHATTAN, KS

So, I’ll start by saying it almost feels like cheating to pick this as a “nonconference game,” but by technicality, that’s exactly what it is. Despite the Wildcats (x2) sharing the Big 12 in 2024, this game is serving as an out-of-conference matchup due to it being scheduled before Arizona made its move to the Big 12. This game has the makings of an absolutely gargantuan matchup with two of the most exciting young quarterbacks in the game—Avery Johnson and Noah Fifita—facing off against one another in a Friday night game in Manhattan, Kansas. I expect Bill Snyder Family Stadium to be rocking, and with all kinds of offensive weapons and opportunistic defenses, this should be a back-and-forth classic that could end up having postseason implications despite not counting toward either team’s Big 12 record.

Just Missed: Mississippi State @ Arizona State, Kansas @ Illinois, Pitt @ Cincinnati, Texas Tech @ Washington State, Rice @ Houston

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2024/06/12/top-10-big-12-football-nonconference-games-of-2024/

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Jabberwocky said:

West Virginia plays Penn State and UCF plays Florida. Those are games that come to my mind as more important than OSU v Pig.

Great points. I didn’t give my post a lot of thought because of how weak I think the Big 12 scheduling is. WVU versus not just PSU but also Pitt is legit. 

On 8/5/2024 at 7:55 PM, closetojumping said:

You guys can mix the notion of a 9-4 Iowa State making the playoff or of Iowa being anything besides excellent compared to all but about 10-15 teams in CFB this year. 

1) Utah is loaded with experience and has a charmin soft schedule. They’ll be 11-1/12-0 heading into the conference title game. 

2) Oklahoma State returns like 20 starters off of a team that actually played for the title. 

3) Iowa State isn’t on par with either of those teams. 

4) Iowa went 10-2 in the regular season last year with one of the worst offenses in our lifetimes. They’ve dumped part of the problem and they also return like 19 starters. They’re going to beat the dogshit out of Iowa State this year. And by that, I mean they’re going to win 21-10 with the game never feeling close. 

ISU beat OSU last year and both squads return everyone.  I think Utah is better (and we play them in Salt Lake) but a whole lot of people have just slotted 2 teams we beat last year ahead of us in OK State and KSU.  And it wasn't like we beat OSU when they were doing their stupid 3 man QB rotation.  We beat them with Bowman going the whole way.  ISU also played UT much closer than OK State did.

I'd take that bet on the ISU/Iowa game too.  Iowa will win, but it will be by less than a score.  13-10.  9-6.  Far from anything resembling an ass kicking.  Other than Campbell's first season, and the 2021 debacle, that game has been stupid close.  Iowa is an above average squad that has benefitted from an extremely weak conference schedule, and utter incompetence from their premiere non-con opponent.  Look at how they fare against anyone that's willing to put the ball in the air against them.  It's not pretty.  Campbell's a fucking idiot when it comes to that game and routinely tries to beat Ferentz at Ferentzball, and the only time it ever worked was with the shittiest team that he had assembled in Ames and Spencer Petras at QB for Iowa.  Iowa has been blessed with shitty opponents that literally hand them the game, unforced (watch the end of last year's Iowa/Nebraska game if you don't believe me), on a regular basis for year after year and it's continuing again this year.  They have a lower SOS than much of the Big 12 despite playing in the vaunted Big 10.

Iowa's going to win 10 games again this year, but if they get into the playoffs, they will once again be exposed as existing on the spoils of a conference that's really mostly mediocre but just has a lot of eyeballs.

On 8/5/2024 at 9:29 PM, Steel Shank said:

I feel like making love at an ISU tailgate.

I've had to wait to use a portajohn at an ISU tailgate for this exact reason.

31 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

ISU also played UT much closer than OK State did.

To be fair- this last year was the first time that Gundy didn’t spend the summer planning UT and stealing practice days during the season to install the UT plan. Meanwhile, Campbell had “special stuff” for UT, like he always did. 

So UT might not work well as a transitive property 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, statsman said:

To be fair- this last year was the first time that Gundy didn’t spend the summer planning UT and stealing practice days during the season to install the UT plan. Meanwhile, Campbell had “special stuff” for UT, like he always did. 

It doesn't need to.  ISU actually beat OSU last year and both squads return basically everyone.  It was just another data point, as OSU had a (by one game) better conference record than ISU (OSU played a weaker conference slate, dodging UT in the regular season).

If you look at their results against common opponents, it's all over the place.  OSU beat OU and KU, ISU lost to them.  Both beat KSU (ISU did it on the road, OSU did it at home).  Both beat the shit out of Cincy.  ISU demolished BYU on the road, OSU should have lost to them at home.

My point is that OSU is not in any way, shape, or form obviously on a different tier than ISU.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

21 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It doesn't need to.  ISU actually beat OSU last year and both squads return basically everyone.  It was just another data point, as OSU had a (by one game) better conference record than ISU (OSU played a weaker conference slate, dodging UT in the regular season).

If you look at their results against common opponents, it's all over the place.  OSU beat OU and KU, ISU lost to them.  Both beat KSU (ISU did it on the road, OSU did it at home).  Both beat the shit out of Cincy.  ISU demolished BYU on the road, OSU should have lost to them at home.

My point is that OSU is not in any way, shape, or form obviously on a different tier than ISU.

That was Bowman’s first game as the starter after the three qb and South Alabama fiasco. We turned it around after the ISU game. He’s had a full offseason now as the full time starter. He’ll be better. But in general, this is what the new Big XII will be, not a lot of separation, so I agree, nobody stands out way ahead of anyone else.

42 minutes ago, statsman said:

Lol.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2024 at 9:29 PM, Steel Shank said:

I feel like making love at an ISU tailgate.

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I've had to wait to use a portajohn at an ISU tailgate for this exact reason.

attaboy Steelshank! 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

I'd go with West Virginia and it's not really very close.

I don't know man, Pitt stinks, wouldn't put them much ahead of SDSU, if at all, to be honest, but Penn State is way better than any of our non-cons, so I don't disagree with WVU having the toughest. 

Edited by 'stache

17 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

How is UH getting their asses handed to them by a mid (by their standards) OU squad important in any way? It's gonna be a blood bath. And I'd put OSU v. SDSU way ahead of OSU v. Arky. I'm not all that worried about Arky, I am worried about SDSU being pretty darn good and champing at the bit to take down a P-4 team, a ranked one at that, they are going to be salty af.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I don't know man, Pitt stinks, wouldn't put them much ahead of SDSU, if at all, to be honest, but Penn State is way better than any of our non-cons, so I don't disagree with WVU having the toughest. 

S Tier: Playing 2 Power 4 teams, one of which is a blueblood or near blueblood status, and a solid G5 school (Florida this year*)

A Tier: Playing a blueblood/near blueblood school along with another P4 team (WVU)

B Tier: Playing a blueblood P4 team (Texas this year) or 2 non blueblood P4 teams (TCU)

C Tier: Playing a non blueblood P4 team and a solid G5 team (Okie State)

D Tier: Playing a non blueblood P4 team and a weak G5 team (Kansas)

F Tier: No power 4 teams

Note: if you play an FCS team with an 8 game conference schedule you drop down a tier.

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

Pitt's a popular rebound pick. Narduzzi is a joyless dick who lost the team last year but the guy can coach.

NDSU isn't as dominant as they have been. CU could lose that game, but I think they probably win.

That doesn’t escape the fact that NDSU hasn’t lost a game, except the Champs, in SDSU, in a couple of seasons. If I was in Vegas, I’d definitely bet on them covering, if not winning straight up.

Hook’em!!!

On 7/13/2024 at 11:34 AM, TxEx84 said:

Surprised Fl at Texas and/or Texas at piggie isn't on that list.  Maybe because teams will be shit by November?

As for Big12, ouch.  There has to be at least one game predicted to be in top 40, right? Right?!? KU/KSU? Utah/BUY? Some random Colorado game? Something? Anything? Bueller? 

Penn St at WVU? Farmageddon?

Here's their weekly watchability projections for the season. The Big12 has more representation there.

watch2.webp

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Here's their weekly watchability projections for the season. The Big12 has more representation there.
watch2.webp.9bf930620e88a84bdc5eebd04274ace3.webp

That’s an early season game, that as just a CFB fan, I’m looking forward to watching.

Rooting for WVU in this one.

Hook’em!!!

4 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

That doesn’t escape the fact that NDSU hasn’t lost a game, except the Champs, in SDSU, in a couple of seasons. If I was in Vegas, I’d definitely bet on them covering, if not winning straight up.

Hook’em!!!

But the Big12 is the third best conference. 

Fuck, I can't keep a straight face typing that. 

4 hours ago, CustersDoctor said:

watch2.webp

aggy at Florida is a 9.4 but Florida at Texas is a 8.5?

This seems guy seems to really like him some aggy. If I remember I’d like to go back after the season and see how right/wrong his predictions are…

32 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

aggy at Florida is a 9.4 but Florida at Texas is a 8.5?

This seems guy seems to really like him some aggy. If I remember I’d like to go back after the season and see how right/wrong his predictions are…

aggy @ Florida is way more likely to be a competitive game.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

WVU tailgate destroys CU.  I’m obviously biased, but you can find lots of posts from UT fans who went to games in Ames praise ISU’s as well.  OK State is awesome, and KSU is fairly similar to the Pokes and Clones but smaller.

Can confirm that okie state has an awesome pregame.

On 8/9/2024 at 5:39 PM, CustersDoctor said:

watch2.webp

I like this, I may use it to pick out my watching.    It would be interesting to see who shows up on here a bunch, but there are some scratchers.   I won't bring up the ones already mentioned, but Cal/Auburn over Colorado/Nebraska?   Farmageddon over Michigan/Ohio State?   Really?    Mizzu/S.Car over Tennessee at Georgia?   How bad is October 12th for Rutgers to make the list?   How is UNC's only game to make it into the top ten of any given week, week one when they play fucking Minnesota?    Their scheudle is kind of meh, and I can see if their instate against NCState on the 30th doesn't crack the rivalry weekend, but their game against FSU on 11/2 isn't better than Arizona at UCF?!   

The more I look at this, the more it made me go down the rabbit hole.   I found his site:

//img1.wsimg.com/isteam/ip/1568e90d-5220-4859-b2eb-e3b0861aa53a/TeamBest-a7b10e5.PNG/:/rs=w:1300,h:800

//img1.wsimg.com/isteam/ip/1568e90d-5220-4859-b2eb-e3b0861aa53a/Wk1-18a0f78.PNG/:/rs=w:1300,h:800