Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

Posted (edited)

CBSSports...

Screenshot_2024-08-11-18-07-33_kindlephoto-10752467.png.b1d713080f3fbbd0516b2c3d0bdf1626.png

1. Whittingham - UTAH
  2. Leipold -  KANSAS
  3. Klieman - K-STATE
  4. Gundy - OKIE LITE
  5. Dykes 😋 - TOADS
  6. Campbell - IOWA ST.
  7. Fritz - UH 
  8. Malzahn - UCF
  9. N.Brown - WVU 
  10. McGuire - TECH
  11. Sitake - BYU 
  12. Aranda - baylor
  13. Brennan - ARIZ
  14. Satterfield - CINCY
  15. Deion - COLORADO
  16. Dillingham - ARIZ ST.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-12-coach-rankings-2024-utahs-kyle-whittingham-debuts-at-no-1-colorados-deion-sanders-near-bottom/

Edited by LTtxfan
damn autocorrect

I was listening to Klatt’s podcast. He gets excited about the B12 because Fox broadcasts it and he played for the Buffs. He noted five teams with legit CFP aspirations this year (since the B12 champ is in the CFP with a first round bye): Utah, KSU, OSU, Arizona, Kansas. 

The worst thing for the B12 would be to put two 9-3 teams into the CCG (still in Arlington). In that case, only the winner makes the CFP. The best thing for them would be to match a 9-3 team with an 11-1 team. In that case, the 9-3 team (with everything to play for) beating the 11-1 team (clinches an at large) would be the most foreseeable thing in the world. 

Would be fun to see Utah matched with Arizona in Arlington. The attendance would be hilarious. 

11 minutes ago, statsman said:

I was listening to Klatt’s podcast. He gets excited about the B12 because Fox broadcasts it and he played for the Buffs. He noted five teams with legit CFP aspirations this year (since the B12 champ is in the CFP with a first round bye): Utah, KSU, OSU, Arizona, Kansas. 

The worst thing for the B12 would be to put two 9-3 teams into the CCG (still in Arlington). In that case, only the winner makes the CFP. The best thing for them would be to match a 9-3 team with an 11-1 team. In that case, the 9-3 team (with everything to play for) beating the 11-1 team (clinches an at large) would be the most foreseeable thing in the world. 

Would be fun to see Utah matched with Arizona in Arlington. The attendance would be hilarious. 

Even with Utah traveling okay and the corporate tickets being used, I would be surprised if the lower level was fully filled out for that event. Grim. 

On 8/9/2024 at 9:32 PM, TKthunder2 said:

If that’s the case, explain all the other aggy games…

(Don’t really just seems odd)

Why do people slow to 5 MPH in traffic to rubber neck?  Why do sharks have feeding frenzies?  Why can't you look away during a brutal fight?  Why did 2 girls 1 cup get such high traffic volumes.  People love a good dumpster fire!

• Haha 1

On 8/11/2024 at 6:24 PM, LTtxfan said:

CBSSports...

Screenshot_2024-08-11-18-07-33_kindlephoto-10752467.png.b1d713080f3fbbd0516b2c3d0bdf1626.png

1. Whittingham - UTAH
  2. Leipold -  KANSAS
  3. Klieman - K-STATE
  4. Gundy - OKIE LITE
  5. Dykes 😋 - TOADS
  6. Campbell - IOWA ST.
  7. Fritz - UH 
  8. Malzahn - UCF
  9. N.Brown - WVU 
  10. McGuire - TECH
  11. Sitake - BYU 
  12. Aranda - baylor
  13. Brennan - ARIZ
  14. Satterfield - CINCY
  15. Deion - COLORADO
  16. Dillingham - ARIZ ST.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-12-coach-rankings-2024-utahs-kyle-whittingham-debuts-at-no-1-colorados-deion-sanders-near-bottom/

How on earth are there four coaches in any conference worse than Dave Aranda? He’s got one of the hottest seats in college football. 

3 hours ago, PvilleStang said:

Why do people slow to 5 MPH in traffic to rubber neck?  Why do sharks have feeding frenzies?  Why can't you look away during a brutal fight?  Why did 2 girls 1 cup get such high traffic volumes.  People love a good dumpster fire!

giphy.com-media-QtieFtKtUbrYoWfD4z-giphy-downsized.gif.e6fa92f68dfc7557dcc0fa06c40117a8.gif

42 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I want to clown but at least it's not on ESPN+.

Beautiful. Frankly, in Ford Stadium, there is room for all who want to see this game. 

Occasionally, I skim the SMU ON3 board. It’s fun, because 29 years after their last game with Texas, they still go on about how Texas brought them down, how Texas wants to keep them down. In poll and preseason discussions, they throw out comments about how “Texas is overrated again”. 

It’s fun. They have finally made it back to a major-ish conference. It’s now legal to build a team the way they built their last good ones. 

I was a student at UT during the height of the Pony Express. Texas had terrific teams and the Longhorn players were BMOC, almost gods among us. SMU had terrific teams and their players were like the hired help on campus. 

It’s fun to read their board and realize they don’t care about attendance or ratings. They’re fine if they only have 30k fans at a big game. They’re fine if they only have 15k fans. Just let them know who they need to write the check to to purchase a football team they can brag about. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/12/2024 at 7:07 AM, statsman said:

Yormark might be the guy to make sure the stands are packed. I've always thought it stupid that folks let "big" games get broadcast with half empty stadia. Fucking bus them in and pay them to come inside. Free beer, half-time $100,000 drawing, whatever. Fill it up, make it loud. The advertisers would approve and the concessions would be pleased.

On 8/12/2024 at 7:19 AM, closetojumping said:

Even with Utah traveling okay and the corporate tickets being used, I would be surprised if the lower level was fully filled out for that event. Grim. 

It would be a championship game with a CFP top 4 seed on the line, attendance would be really good.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/13/2024 at 8:25 AM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

How on earth are there four coaches in any conference worse than Dave Aranda? He’s got one of the hottest seats in college football. 

He's 2 years removed from a conference title.  Kirk Ferentz, for example, has never won an outright conference title.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

He's 2 years removed from a conference title.  Kirk Ferentz, for example, has never won an outright conference title.

Fair enough. In four years he’s 2-7, 12-2, 6-7 and 3-9. And they play a dogshit nonconference schedule every year.

His first team was inexperienced but had talented athletes left over from Rhule. The second year they grew up. Now it’s almost all his guys and the trajectory isn’t pretty. They lost to Texas fucking State last year and they weren’t close to competitive against us.

The natives are restless and they’ve been spoiled by Briles and Rhule. I don’t think Aranda makes it out of this season.

13 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Fair enough. In four years he’s 2-7, 12-2, 6-7 and 3-9. And they play a dogshit nonconference schedule every year.

His first team was inexperienced but had talented athletes left over from Rhule. The second year they grew up. Now it’s almost all his guys and the trajectory isn’t pretty. They lost to Texas fucking State last year and they weren’t close to competitive against us.

The natives are restless and they’ve been spoiled by Briles and Rhule. I don’t think Aranda makes it out of this season.

I generally agree with your point, I'm just pointing that his best season (which accounts for 25% of his tenure as a head coach at this point) beats a ton of active coaches, including a lot of the dudes ahead of him on that list.  And it's only 3 seasons ago, so there's gonna be some recency bias.

I think Baylor's a bottom 1/3rd (of the Big 12) team this year and he's back to being a DC next year.

On 8/13/2024 at 2:19 PM, Tex Long said:

Yormark might be the guy to make sure the stands are packed. I've always thought it stupid that folks let "big" games get broadcast with half empty stadia. Fucking bus them in and pay them to come inside. Free beer, half-time $100,000 drawing, whatever. Fill it up, make it loud. The advertisers would approve and the concessions would be pleased.

Jet packs?

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I generally agree with your point, I'm just pointing that his best season (which accounts for 25% of his tenure as a head coach at this point) beats a ton of active coaches, including a lot of the dudes ahead of him on that list.  And it's only 3 seasons ago, so there's gonna be some recency bias.

I think Baylor's a bottom 1/3rd (of the Big 12) team this year and he's back to being a DC next year.

I believe Barry Switzer won one Super Bowl in four years — 25% of his tenure — as Cowboys head coach, but that didn’t prevent many people from seeing he crashed the plane that someone else built and piloted successfully. Hell, “he” won three division titles in four years, I think. If the goal is to evaluate the coach, one must evaluate the circumstances. Imo, anyway. 

8 hours ago, markstanco said:

They will be lucky to get 4 wins this year. osu will mudhole them. 

I think they’re probably better than South Alabama, so let’s hold our horses here and see how it plays out, lol.

Edited by 'stache
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I believe Barry Switzer won one Super Bowl in four years — 25% of his tenure — as Cowboys head coach, but that didn’t prevent many people from seeing he crashed the plane that someone else built and piloted successfully. Hell, “he” won three division titles in four years, I think. If the goal is to evaluate the coach, one must evaluate the circumstances. Imo, anyway. 

Sonny Dykes does not like the way this conversation is going…

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Sonny Dykes does not like the way this conversation is going…

I’m sure he doesn’t. The people here about a year and a half ago implying, or outright stating, Texas should’ve hired him instead of Sarkisian probably aren’t liking it, either. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, 'stache said:

OSU built a soccer stadium and we only have a girls team. I really wish we could add men’s soccer and girls volleyball, could easily be played in Gallagher Iba Arena.

I think the point of the image is the shitty graphics work. 

1. Just extend the list by 2 spots instead of throwing the last two in small text, idiots.
  2. Look at the logos lol
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I think the point of the image is the shitty graphics work. 

1. Just extend the list by 2 spots instead of throwing the last two in small text, idiots.
  2. Look at the logos lol

I didn't catch 1 because I was too amused and distracted looking at 2 and trying to determine if they got any correct. Then if there was any logic to the logo error, alphabetical, reverse from the ranking order, or anything at all?

No is the answer.

Edited by BurntEyes

Now that we're out of that shit conference, I may actually watch some WV games, ESPECIALLY WV vs Pedo State. That's gonna be a good game. 

WVU is going to be pretty good this year and they will set the tone for this upcoming season, as I think they will win that game.

Hook’em!!!

7 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

WVU is going to be pretty good this year and they will set the tone for this upcoming season, as I think they will win that game.

Hook’em!!!

I don't know if they win it, but at the same time I won't be shocked. It should be an entertaining game. We'll see if Allar has taken that next step, and we'll see if WV can contain the PSU RB's. Regardless, it's circled as a game I really want to watch. 

I remember Bowman and Purdy playing in their respective freshmen years and the announcers billing it as a battle of freshman phenoms.  It was a pretty tight game that we pulled out and I remember in the next offseason there was a Bowman vs. Purdy debate on a lot of Big 12 pods.

Think that one got settled.

On 8/15/2024 at 8:00 AM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

He probably doesn't make it out of the bar without getting roofied.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I guess people can pause their TVs to contribute to the oSu NIL fund?

So dumb. I had to click the link and enlarge the image to get it to scan. No way that anybody will be able to get that to capture from their screen in real time. This is nothing more than putting on a show for the players/recruits.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

So dumb. I had to click the link and enlarge the image to get it to scan. No way that anybody will be able to get that to capture from their screen in real time. This is nothing more than putting on a show for the players/recruits.

Bingo.  Gundy has a reputation for being anti NIL and he's been working pretty hard to reverse that (as opposed to just dying on the vine like Dabo).  This is just a means of letting people know he's on Team NIL.

4 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Just now, Al_4_ISU said:

Bingo.  Gundy has a reputation for being anti NIL and he's been working pretty hard to reverse that (as opposed to just dying on the vine like Dabo).  This is just a means of letting people know he's on Team NIL.

For real, all things NIL related are about putting on a show. That's how the game is played now. 

Just now, 'stache said:

For real, all things NIL related are about putting on a show. That's how the game is played now. 

Absolutely.

I'm just saying that OSU probably isn't the first school to do this had Gundy been more publicly pro NIL in the first place.  Gundy dug himself a little bit of a hole on that front and I have 0 doubt it's being used against him on the recruiting trail.  Stuff like this is done to counteract that perception.

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Absolutely.

I'm just saying that OSU probably isn't the first school to do this had Gundy been more publicly pro NIL in the first place.  Gundy dug himself a little bit of a hole on that front and I have 0 doubt it's being used against him on the recruiting trail.  Stuff like this is done to counteract that perception.

I disagree, the media overstated his comments about NIL when it was in its formative stages. Like a lot of old school coaches, he doesn't like it, but was always honest that you have to compete as best you can within the rules as they exist. I think FSU or another program did NIL QR Codes on the back of their jerseys for a spring game. This is just an extension and is making it to the media. Nobody's going to be clicking the QR code from the field or TV, but the reports show that we're playing the NIL game, which is the entire point.

6 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I disagree, the media overstated his comments about NIL when it was in its formative stages. Like a lot of old school coaches, he doesn't like it, but was always honest that you have to compete as best you can within the rules as they exist. I think FSU or another program did NIL QR Codes on the back of their jerseys for a spring game. This is just an extension and is making it to the media. Nobody's going to be clicking the QR code from the field or TV, but the reports show that we're playing the NIL game, which is the entire point.

100% agree.

On 8/15/2024 at 8:00 AM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I don't think it's spoiled to expect 6-6 from Aranda with the newest stadium and football ops facility in P4 along with a NIL fund that is competitive in the B12.  

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Not necessarily. Boosters can visit the players after the game, scan the helmet up close, and contribute. 

It’s a modernization of the old Sooner practice of dropping cash in players’ helmets as they walk under the stands after the game. 

24 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I don't think it's spoiled to expect 6-6 from Aranda with the newest stadium and football ops facility in P4 along with a NIL fund that is competitive in the B12.  

I am so glad that Grant Teaff gets to live to see Baylor football fall into insignificance 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, statsman said:

I am so glad that Grant Teaff gets to live to see Baylor football fall into insignificance 

I think we'll be fine if we keep spending like we are right now, it just won't be this year. We'll see if the donors keep it up with NIL or if a Aranda and crew buyout + new staff slows that down somewhat.