San Diego recommendations

Sundodger

On 8/7/2024 at 11:22 AM, wild_turkey said:

I'm heading to San Diego in late August with my wife and our 19 month old daughter. It's our first time there and we'll be staying in an Airbnb house a couple blocks from the beach, near the junction of Mission Beach and Pacific Beach. We liked the idea of Coronado Island, but they don't allow short term rentals there, so it would've had to be a hotel, which meant sharing a room with the kiddo (no bueno) or paying significantly higher rates for a suite. The Airbnb option in Pacific Beach suited us better.

We plan to visit the zoo and spend time at the beach. We would like to visit La Jolla and probably Coronado Island. We don't have any specific activities planned other than the zoo, but looking for recommendations.

I would also appreciate some kid friendly dining spots around that area if anyone knows of anything. Basically prefer outdoor seating with good food, price is no concern, casual or upscale, just don't want to be crashing a quiet date night spot.

Are Stone Brewing or Ballast Point Brewing worth visiting?

I'm a fan of whale watching with kids.  Even if you don't see whales, you're sure to see a ton of dolphin.  She may be too small to enjoy though.   Near the USS Midway, I love The Brigantine.  Right on the water, great outdoor seating.   Great taco Tuesday deals, BTW.   Also, in late August, the horses will be running at Del Mar if you enjoy that.  "where the turf meets the surf, down at old del mar

On 8/7/2024 at 11:32 AM, Herbie Hancock said:

Miguel’s Cocina by the El Cordova Hotel on the island is great food with a nice patio. Been a few years, but we hit Stone and Bolt brewery and enjoyed both.

Bought a vase from a dude blowing glass in the art market at Balboa park. Pretty damn cool to watch something get made from scratch right in front of you and then get to take it home.

Miguel's is a chain. It's fine, but there are several locations.

18 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Any thoughts on Duke’s in La Jolla? Or the aquarium up there?

The Scripps Aquarium is fantastic.  And, on that day, go to the gliderport.  There's a cool sandwich shop there and you can get lunch. https://www.flytorrey.com/the-cafe/

In La Jolla, there are a ton of seals.  The kid might get a bang out of that.  And a restaurant with the best views ever: https://www.georgesatthecove.com/

4 hours ago, mdleast said:

I also like hanging out on that patio at the Duke's in La Jolla and have done so multiple times.  I like the food well enough but I am not a big "foody" or anything if that's a big factor for you. 

There is also a Jake's in Del Mar from that same company that I also have been to multiple times at sunset.  Love that beach around there and how they do the view beyond sundown with lights on the beach

7a6cf8747054469304f6fe44db76ff4b.jpg

6a007c47c9880dda47dfaf757ab48c0c.jpg

ce9550eb6cda57ded98507afc5383145.jpg

Love Jakes.  J.R. hasn't been behind the bar the last couple of times I've been there.  

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Like 1