Negative Recruiting Your Own School: The aggy Screenshot Megathread

texifornia

9 minutes ago, hornlife said:

Aggie, they're about 3 or so years ahead of schedule on figuring out they messed up again.  They're mostly in that denial but some are realizing the facts.  Unless you grew up in some backwoods shithole in Texas, none of their recruits want to be there.  They can't develop on offense and defense is very subpar with elite talent.  They'll replace a few coaches this round again.  And once again wonder why they lose 25+ players to the portal.  This could be the highest and best coaster crash ever. No name coach and mostly no name other coaches - great idea that's going to work next time - welcome back to trying to buy a team. 

This is a talking point repeated by the talking heads covering college football at the national level, but it's absolute bullshit. Who do they have that's elite? Sure they have a bunch of kids that were 5-stars coming out of high school. But who is "good"? The answer is no one.

It's very similar to our time wandering the desert where we were signing a bunch of 5-star players but very few of them lived up to their potential while at UT. Malik Jefferson, Caden Sterns, Jalen Green, BJ Foster, Tyler Owens, etc. The only 5-star player we signed between 2015 and 2020 that KIND OF lived up to potential was Overshown, and the lights only came on after Sark got here. They're in a similar situation - lots of big name duds, which schools will effective use to recruit against them in the same way our competition recruited against us. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

I don’t think we wanted to lose Walton.  That’s the only guy I can think of though.

Naw, didn't blink, look at our EDGE position.  He was a bit light imo too.  Hey, I initially thought Richard Walton QB between James Brown and The Major and was thinking, oh hell, we wanted to lose him.  Epic parties on 6th Street all bars playing James Brown songs after a win and $1 shots/beer/whatever.  Lots of pregnant happened on those nights!

But yea, a year more he might have been great (may have been academics) he was rangy and fast and thank you. 

Hook'em to Fondren & Main and all of you! Go Gators! 

2 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

This is a talking point repeated by the talking heads covering college football at the national level, but it's absolute bullshit. Who do they have that's elite? Sure they have a bunch of kids that were 5-stars coming out of high school. But who is "good"? The answer is no one.

It's very similar to our time wandering the desert where we were signing a bunch of 5-star players but very few of them lived up to their potential while at UT. Malik Jefferson, Caden Sterns, Jalen Green, BJ Foster, Tyler Owens, etc. The only 5-star player we signed between 2015 and 2020 that KIND OF lived up to potential was Overshown, and the lights only came on after Sark got here. They're in a similar situation - lots of big name duds, which schools will effective use to recruit against them in the same way our competition recruited against us. 

Who do they have that would be elite under our staff? There's 2-3 I look at.

That's part of my point and thank you for the insight.  Our current coaches go with need first, find the best talent that can be developed for such need, and do it.  In btw we portal up. Who have they (aggie - yea new staff but it looks like regression and bread mostly in portal) developed lately? Slight pass here for Elko but he got more in defense than Sark did and they suck on rush defense with those guys ... wow. Offense, they suck - slow and low talent.  If Napier pulls his head out of his ass and starts plays the young QB, he's going to destroy them.

We went all in for Banks as a 4* and it's a look at me now commercial.  We backed off Dewberry (sp?) got Flood's guys - developed and wow we are rolling on that. Other positions the same.  I think the biggest this year is our secondary and replacing interior DL which all fit PK's scheme.  We portaled good DL to help (hoping for at least one more flip on that). 

Great points, hey I was in the stands on Akers last game.  Then 6.5 years for under and grad, I've felt the pain - do not want.  We'll have a great but hard season.  Aggie will not, OU will not. Arky scares me as a trap game.  GA - shit, I live in ATL and have family that went there and Bama - damn I want that win.  

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

The blind media trust in the 247 talent index lagging indicator is annoying.

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

Perfectly said, our own fans are repeating what the national media is saying because it’s been said over and over. I guess only Texas has 5 star busts according to media. Not one fucking talking head has said anywhere that aggy talent was overrated. It’s fucking nauseating. 
Also fuck the media talking about Bitchagain losing all their players. We lost players also WTF. rant over carry on 

• Hook 'Em 3

52 minutes ago, Hookem10 said:

Perfectly said, our own fans are repeating what the national media is saying because it’s been said over and over. I guess only Texas has 5 star busts according to media. Not one fucking talking head has said anywhere that aggy talent was overrated. It’s fucking nauseating. 
Also fuck the media talking about Bitchagain losing all their players. We lost players also WTF. rant over carry on 

Let me know if I'm missing anybody from the last few years as far as highly rated kids who so far haven't done much of anything at aggy.

Hicks, Brownlow-Dindy, Dewberry, Foster, Fatheree.  What has Shemar Stewart done??  Bryce Anderson has a few moments I guess??  Weigman hasn't lived up to his ranking.

All of this makes me more thankful for the insight or luck in hiring Sark and in the masterful way he’s crafted the program into an emerging monster.  

Those poor bastards are in hell.  Having lived through the idiocy of Jimbo’s contract and the fool’s gold of his tenure, they go out and make such an underwhelming HC hire.  Klein is not the guy.  He’s a guy who can maximize a roster of two and three stars but his system isn’t going to maximize 4 and 5 star talent. You’d have to be crazy to bypass an opportunity to catch passes from Ewers (or other elite offenses) in order to block for Klein’s running backs. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I don’t understand the point of calling people into account about an initial knee jerk reaction regarding an asssitant coach elsewhere from 3.5 years ago. No one wanted to keep Coleman and everyone was correct in that regard. Once people actually looked into the Wiggins candidate, many of us were out. 

Solid work of positioning yourself as the guy who had it straight the whole way, which you often do. Congrats. 

1. I never called anyone to account. It was a simple observation on fanbases.

2. I used the word "us" which includes myself in the group that was hoping he would come with.

It was a simple observation no more no less.

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Solid work of positioning yourself as the guy who had it straight the whole way, which you often do. Congrats. 

I'd have to actually spend time expressing an opinion to be able to claim I was right about something. 

I have called you out on stupid things at times in the past 15 odd years...but I hardly felt that was often enough to get under your skin....

It's actually pretty simple - 

The reason they mention our "busts" is because we're a blue blood and relevant whether we win or lose. 

Aggy doesn't get called out because they're irrelevant and no one remembers or cares about who they have, other than Weigman, which they have constantly posted his horrendous play. Even Paul Finebaum called them irrelevant and said they're nothing more than an 8-4 program just the other day. Their players don't matter. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, TexasRenegade said:

I'd have to actually spend time expressing an opinion to be able to claim I was right about something. 

I have called you out on stupid things at times in the past 15 odd years...but I hardly felt that was often enough to get under your skin....

Calling your bullshit isn’t indicative of my view of you as a poster or personal feelings. I just think the prior post was weak and it feels like that kind of drive-by is one of your things. It’s not something you can factually support but it might make you look clever and above the fray of us plebes. Say that wasn’t what you were doing, but, yeah, that’s what you were doing. 

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Great post. Walton was a guy we didn’t want to lose, and I didnt want to lose, and yet here we’re are and I’d completely forgotten that guy ever existed until you mentioned him in the post. That’s a testament to where we are as a program. 

I just remembered Tapp too.  He’s also doing nothing at Arizona State.

• Hook 'Em 2

Some aggy in those screenshots mentioned that Texas playing them as our last SEC road game of the season gives them an added advantage, like we’ve never played them at Pyle Field many times in the SWC and Big XII. I don’t see how the SEC logo on the unis and field of a perennially middling team somehow imbues them with added power. It just means more?

15 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I'm especially interested in seeing if aggy can hold onto parts of the Houston area to the extent they have. There's just not much to feel good about with that program right now. Meanwhile, we're rounding up most of the oxygen in the room. Of course, Mensa cleaned up on highly rated Houston prospects a few seasons ago, and most turned out to be meh in Austin or elsewhere. But year in and year out, I'd far rather dominate recruiting in that region than not.  

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Calling your bullshit isn’t indicative of my view of you as a poster or personal feelings. I just think the prior post was weak and it feels like that kind of drive-by is one of your things. It’s not something you can factually support but it might make you look clever and above the fray of us plebes. Say that wasn’t what you were doing, but, yeah, that’s what you were doing. 

Whatever, like I said, I used us to include myself in that. It dang sure wasn't me trying to take a shot at anyone, it was an observation about how it had changed no more no less, I probably make those observations from time to time because how opinion changes on this board and we sometimes forget it is interesting to me.  For dang sure not trying to be clever...like I said I very rarely actually post stuff on here anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I love that they really believe they are the 7th most talented team in the country.  They have holes everywhere.  Especially at OL, LB, CB, RB, and WR.  And their DL is nothing special, despite the lofty rankings.

They pumped their DL because they were practicing against their shitty OL in fall camp. The exact same shit we experienced during our wilderness years.

• Rage+1 2

One guy that wasn't a very minor loss but that I didn't want to lose nonetheless was Jamier Johnson. He's a senior now at Indiana and I think he passed up one of their returning starters to start this year. Can't tell much about cornerback play from stats but I think Indiana's defense is supposed to be pretty good. 

45 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I love that they really believe they are the 7th most talented team in the country.  They have holes everywhere.  Especially at OL, LB, CB, RB, and WR.  And their DL is nothing special, despite the lofty rankings.

How many guys do they have who would contribute at all on our team this year? The Shemars, Scourton, Anderson, probably Regis and *maybe* York, all at varying snap counts. On offense, maybe Moss, more so because of our injuries than his talent? They might have a dozen players who are at least decent P4 starters on the whole roster, and that's being generous. In any case, I'm glad that they think they are the 7th most talented team in the country because it will make this season that much more painful. 

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

I almost pity Tarp, man is a modern college football version of Alfred Jodl. Committed to a futile cause in which he must carefully try and show reason to those who will listen without drawing to much attention from the sycophants yes men and getting the maroon gestapo sic on him for speaking out against the party.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Hookem10 said:

Here's an idea: no one is talking about it because no one gives a fuck about aggy?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Jimmy Two Times said:

How many guys do they have who would contribute at all on our team this year? The Shemars, Scourton, Anderson, probably Regis and *maybe* York, all at varying snap counts. On offense, maybe Moss, more so because of our injuries than his talent? They might have a dozen players who are at least decent P4 starters on the whole roster, and that's being generous. In any case, I'm glad that they think they are the 7th most talented team in the country because it will make this season that much more painful. 

Shemar Turner would be a starter with Collins, but the other guys you mention would be rotational guys. York would never see the field at Texas. I think Mukaba/Williams are better than Anderson but he'd get plenty of snaps considering Sarkisian loves to rotate our 2 deep on defense throughout the game.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jimmy Two Times said:

York? Maybe on punt/kickoff coverage if we've suffered a few injuries.