Negative Recruiting Your Own School: The aggy Screenshot Megathread

texifornia

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Childers and Doering this past spring and summer, on separate shows usually, would hammer the same talking point as aggie posters regarding Texas joining the SEC for the 2024 season:

”I think Texas will be good, but I don’t think they’re prepared for the grind of an SEC schedule. “

Doering is the honkiest SEC honk of all media SEC honks outside of Peter Burns. They’re both unbelievable to listen to in that they’ll often act like they’re being objective.

Doering ranked Texas #6 in the SEC! heading into the season. He also stated on multiple occasions that Florida was going to surprise everybody and win a bunch of games as they go bowling this year. He’s a complete fraud as an analyst. 

So what are these guys saying now, as they unwittingly try to rationalize the reality that Texas isn’t just going to know its apparent place in the SEC and sit out a run at the conference title and playoffs? 

“Have you seen how easy this Texas schedule is? They’re getting the luckiest break in the country this season with Michigan being mediocre and getting to avoid 5 of the top 7 teams. “

Right. 

I mean it was hilarious, the week before the game on texaggy, Michigan isn't good but they will still beat Texas. We beat the fucking shit out of Michigan, now it's Michigan is just shitty. If aggy went to play Michigan this weekend, they would likely get Reed and their 3rd QB knocked out of that game.

I will fully admit, our SEC schedule outside of Georgia (and that Bobo lead offense is a fucking joke), is an embarrassment for the "It just means more" conference. Fucking Toledo and Georgia State. I would not be shocked if Bowling Green gives aggy a game for 2-1/2+ quarters.

Even the Saturday down South guys have us at 3rd in the SEC, yet we are the #1 team in the country. They are fucking scared shitless that Texas in year one is going to take the conference title into a 1st round playoff bye.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

I mean it was hilarious, the week before the game on texaggy, Michigan isn't good but they will still beat Texas. We beat the fucking shit out of Michigan, now it's Michigan is just shitty. If aggy went to play Michigan this weekend, they would likely get Reed and their 3rd QB knocked out of that game.

I will fully admit, our SEC schedule outside of Georgia (and that Bobo lead offense is a fucking joke), is an embarrassment for the "It just means more" conference. Fucking Toledo and Georgia State. I would not be shocked if Bowling Green gives aggy a game for 2-1/2+ quarters.

Even the Saturday down South guys have us at 3rd in the SEC, yet we are the #1 team in the country. They are fucking scared shitless that Texas in year one is going to take the conference title into a 1st round playoff bye.

The Saturday Down South are openly Bama honks right? 

While I love the new conference, SEC Media sucks. Even SEC adjacent sites like Old Row attempt to drag Texas at every opportunity. 

4 hours ago, Getafix said:

Embittered Tarp is the best Tarp.  

This article - 

Taylor Swift Mua GIF by MOODMAN

Full article + some Q&A below; spoilered the post because of length (South Austin's mom: "That's not a problem! ... heh heh") - but here's an excerpt that conveys tone - 

"I've been following A&M for 50 years and covered them for 25 of those seasons. I've seen multiple Marcel Reeds come and go. ... They win or put up big numbers and everyone thinks that this guy is the one to take the Aggies to the promised land.

Then…a couple of seasons later….the same thing happens to them that happened to the incumbent when they made their debut as a starter. The team isn't quite good enough, they're banged up, the excitement is gone, and the production isn't there so much anymore.  You can see the ceiling from whatever section you're in at Kyle Field.

It's like A&M fans and their quarterbacks have been married and divorced so many times we've all lost count. "

Texas A&M has a QB controversy no matter whether it wants one or not
Jeff Tarpley (Aggie 247)

Reveal hidden contents

Texas A&M has a QB controversy no matter whether it wants one or not
Jeff Tarpley (Aggie 247)

1. Texas A&M has a quarterback controversy.

Mike Elko can act like it doesn't exist.

We can all act like it doesn't exist.

But when your backup wins a game and the starter loses one…yeah, it doesn't matter what the people at A&M think or what I think.

It's there 

2. That's because if the backup quarterback shows anything at all, they come out as the fan favorite every time out, especially because the expectations are different. There's no recognizable ceiling with someone who's basically got two games under his belt as opposed to someone who's started multiple games or seasons. Moreover, backups almost have to play their way their way out of the position to go back to the bench.

3. For all of the talk about whether or not the Aggies should start Conner Weigman or Marcel Reed, keep in mind that Weigman's shoulder is probably the deciding factor in all of this. If he isn't 100%, do you hold him out until he is? It's an injury that has an uncertain shelf life, can affect a player for weeks, and as the McNeese State game indicated could be reaggravated even against the worst team on Texas A&M's schedule or even in practice. 

It was apparent to our Carter Karels yesterday before the game that Weigman's shoulder was a limiting factor in warmups. That means less zip on passes, even passes such as screens where the ball has to come out quickly for the receiver to have a chance to get going. It restricts your passing offense to an extent on certain types of throws.

In addition, what do you do in terms of your protections?  More max protections? More chipping? More protections that slide to the side of his passing shoulder? You don't want him to run and so it will be factor on some RPOs and zone reads.

4. You can talk about Weigman being A&M's guy based on 1,000+ snaps in fall camp but those snaps didn't occur in front of fans and donors, all of whom have now seen both players not just in games this season but in Reed's work in the bowl game. Whether A&M's staff likes it or not, those people feel like that they've gotten enough information to make an informed decision.

5. But in all reality, how much data do we really have? As Carter pointed out when I talked to him this afternoon, you've got two games on Reed and a game and a half on Weigman. What does a healthy Weigman look like? What does a Reed that an opponent has a week to prepare for look like?

You're three games in. Is this a decision that has to come across as final? Not all quarterback controversies wind up with the backup being able to hold onto their job.

In addition, if the running game and defense aren't there, the backup's youth becomes a liability as opposed to a strength. It's harder for them to hold the huddle together because they're unable to make percentage plays, much less big ones.

6. One of the arguments that's going to be made in Reed's favor is that he is a better fit for the Aggies' offense. The formations, motion, and plays that A&M uses attack the edge and perimeter and really do a good job of either moving second level defenders' eyes or holding them in place too long to make a play. Having a mobile quarterback enables you to run designed plays like inverted zone or quarterback dart that can give a defense too many potential ball carriers. You can roll him and bootleg him.

In contrast, Weigman has been used primarily as a drop back passer this season. He scrambled four times in the McNeese State game, but A&M was probably loathe to use him on designed runs. It gives A&M fewer rushing options in what is essentially a wing T attack which is a limiting factor on the offense. In addition, if Reed can move around and still generate big plays in the passing game, he is not the limiting factor he appears to be on the surface.

However,…keep in mind that Florida's pass rush wasn't very good, they're slow overall as a defense, they may not have been ready for him, and their secondary blew multiple coverages. Reed's numbers throwing the ball versus McNeese State were 5 of 11 for 71 yards and he had no big time throws per Pro Football Focus. That's simply because Reed really didn't progress beyond his first read in the passing game and the Cowboys stayed with A&M's receivers as opposed to letting them run free.

Reed ended up outscoring the Cowboys by only 17-10.

8. This is what Weigman potentially gives you, the ability to hold the ball, go through more options, and getting the ball down the field even if defenders are there. He did that in 2023 prior to his injury.

The mobility works until the big plays in the passing game aren't there. Then, defenses are loading the box, there's no running lanes, blitzes get better disguised, and throws on the run aren't there anymore.

9. By the way, has anyone noticed that Weigman had a terrible game versus Notre Dame probably due to his injury, that A&M trotted him to apologize for it, and wouldn't have let the world know that anything was wrong unless the Southeastern Conference hadn't mandated an availability report for a league game?

That's kind of what happened with Kyle Allen in 2015 when he went to Ole Miss and finished 12 of 34 for under 100 yards throwing. It wasn't until after the game that anyone knew he had a physical issue. The next thing you knew, Kyler Murray was starting versus South Carolina and compiling over 300 yards of total offense.

Of course, he was the next big thing until he imploded against Auburn and then Western Carolina.

10. Teams that have this type of issue usually have the support for one guy or another break down among position groups. People like the offensive linemen and defensive players rally around the more mobile guy who make their lives easier ("Hey, that other guy was a statue!"), makes people miss, and provides a spark ("Man, look at him take that defender on!).  On the other hand, the receivers may be thinking that they worked really hard on a route, but they didn't get the ball because the new guy was running after is first read ("Man, how can I get the ball when the new guy takes off running too soon!").

11. I've been following A&M for 50 years and covered them for 25 of those seasons. I've seen multiple Marcel Reeds come and go. They usually have a great debut on a team that needs a spark for whatever reason. Opponents aren't prepared for them, they use their legs more to make plays, things get simplified, and offensive coordinators build their game plans around their limitations as much as their strengths. They win or put up big numbers and everyone thinks that this guy is the one to take the Aggies to the promised land.

Then…a couple of seasons later….the same thing happens to them that happened to the incumbent when they made their debut as a starter. The team isn't quite good enough, they're banged up, the excitement is gone, and the production isn't there so much anymore.  You can see the ceiling from whatever section you're in at Kyle Field.

It's like A&M fans and their quarterbacks have been married and divorced so many times we've all lost count. 

Just look at Weigman….Haynes King gets injured in 2022, Weigman starts against Ole Miss as a true freshman, throws for over 300 yards against a top ten team, and everyone responds to the guy with the powerful arm and mobility.

I can run through a dozen circumstances where this has happened…the names change and the blame on the starter remains the same.

Nonetheless, I don't expect fans and donors to take this into consideration because they beleive it's always going to be different this time around.

12. Finally…the next few games should be interesting. The Aggies get Bowling Green, Arkansas, and now top ten Missouri before a bye week.

If Weigman isn't 100% and Reed gets you past Eagles and the Hogs, then how do you go back to Weigman against the Tigers when he hasn't played in a month, especially if Reed is putting up good numbers?  Do you need to play Weigman in one of those contests to roll him out there on October 5?  

There are more questions than answers right now about A&M's quarterback position.

image.thumb.png.f8fcc2affcc76223ff1c19e3fca88997.png

image.thumb.png.637eb65ccc31c2e1d4431407adbff5d8.png

image.thumb.png.c2b53d77454be7926c60515049449489.png

image.thumb.png.b71b82682d9707dda122138da55de9b4.png

Not stirring too much shit. He has "12" Power points.

• Like 1

Tarp has always been the closest thing to a realist you will find among the atm 9.95ers, but something snapped inside of him over the last few weeks and he's become fully self-aware and he's over everything now.  I'm pretty certain he hates Elko with a passion already.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

If he's been following aggy for 50 years, he's gotta be in his mid to late 60's, right? I truly thought that guy was in his 30s or 40s. 

My guess is that Tarp is 52 to 55.

His first A&M game from either a couch or in the actual stadium was likely before he turned 6, but may have been when he was 3 months old.

Don't know where you're getting "mid-late 60s".

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

His first A&M game from either a couch or in the actual stadium was likely before he turned 6, but may have been when he was 3 months old.

I honestly don't know, either. I went full Surly and didn't account for ages 1-10 lol. 

22 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Tarp has been calling himself very old for at least the last 10 years on the internet. I think he’s like 68.

The thing I like best about all those Texaggy posts is the cognitive dissonance. They've talked themselves into Michigan being an "awful team", and then go on to say they'll be the second best team we face this year as if they're somehow better than the defending champs. Never change aggy, self awareness would be more dangerous than AI suddenly thinking it needs to get married and have kids.

Michigan might actually be that bad. They are still better than A&M, but they are trotting out some Shawn Watson level offense. Made the QB switch to Orji this week. Pretty good defense, though.  I guess we will find out more about them against USC on Saturday. I suppose if they beat USC, Texas got to play them when their QB was bad like Millroe last year.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Michigan might actually be that bad. They are still better than A&M, but they are trotting out some Shawn Watson level offense. Made the QB switch to Orji this week. Pretty good defense, though.  I guess we will find out more about them against USC on Saturday. I suppose if they beat USC, Texas got to play them when their QB was bad like Millroe last year.

@BurntOrange&White will kiss your ass in public and give you 30 minutes to draw a crowd if Michigan beats USC on Saturday. 

Having watched their offense 3 times now, man, I don't see how they're getting above 10 points against competent defenses. They're going to need some defensive scores and black magic to put up enough points to beat that USC offense. The only other hope is that the front seven just shreds the USC OL, I guess. 

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

@BurntOrange&White will kiss your ass in public and give you 30 minutes to draw a crowd if Michigan beats USC on Saturday. 

Having watched their offense 3 times now, man, I don't see how they're getting above 10 points against competent defenses. They're going to need some defensive scores and black magic to put up enough points to beat that USC offense. The only other hope is that the front seven just shreds the USC OL, I guess. 

Their defense is still damn good, I don't think USC is capable of doing what we did on the scoring front against them. Who knows, Orji might pop a run or two and get them going. I have low hopes that they will win, but it should be closer than our game.

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

Tarp has always been the closest thing to a realist you will find among the atm 9.95ers, but something snapped inside of him over the last few weeks and he's become fully self-aware and he's over everything now.  I'm pretty certain he hates Elko with a passion already.

Elko cut in front of him in a buffet line, or something?

• Haha 1

I posted this in the A&M thread on the Football board. Reposting here for people's reference:

I don't know much about A&M's history over the last 30 years other than them losing some hilarious games like 27-25 and 77-0, so I asked ChatGPT about the QBs being replaced and this is what it came up with:

1992-1995: Corey Pullig 4-yr starter

1996: Branndon Stewart replaced by Mark Farris midseason

1997-1999: Randy McCown 3-yr starter, replaced Mark Farris

2001: Mark Farris replaced by Dustin Long midseason

2002: Dusting Long replaced by Reggie McNeal midseason

2005: Reggie McNeal replaced by Stephen McGee midseason (injury)

2008: Stephen McGee replaced by Jerrod Johnson midseason (injury)

2010: Jerrod Johnson replaced by Ryan Tannehill

2012-2013: Manziel 2-yr starter

2014: Kenny Hill replaced by Kyle Allen midseason

2015: Kyle Allen replaced by Kyler Murray midseason

2016: Trevor Knight (ChatGPT says he transferred from OU? Don't remember this guy)

2017: Nick Starkel (? who is this?) and Kellen Mond swapped back and forth (?)

2018-2020: Mond starts for 3 yrs

2021: Haynes King replaced by Zach Calzada (injury)

2022: Haynes King replaced by Max Johnson, who was then replaced by Connor Weigman

2024: Looks like Weigman about to be replaced by Marcel Reed

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 2

The following is not for those that repeat what aggy says to make fun of their asses.

I can't believe some people here still worry about the statements and excuses aggy makes regarding who we are or how they will beat us because we still don't experience the SEC. All that don't matter anymore we are now in the SEC and we will settle all doubts on the field.

Edited by DanTheHorn

3 hours ago, ousux said:

The thing I like best about all those Texaggy posts is the cognitive dissonance. They've talked themselves into Michigan being an "awful team", and then go on to say they'll be the second best team we face this year as if they're somehow better than the defending champs. Never change aggy, self awareness would be more dangerous than AI suddenly thinking it needs to get married and have kids.

That doesn’t require much effort or much talking.

Michigan is horribad this year. Sark could have easily hung 50 and without scrub time for all who suited up, we would have held them to 6, or maybe even 3.

I was fully on board with giving everyone snaps, but didn’t realize how dire their QB & WR situations were/are.

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Other than Milroe’s 4th quarter INT, he wasn’t bad, but he really showed have run more.

Alabama’s problem was that our defense was very good AND Milroe was trying not to scramble like Dillon Gabriel would against us the following month. Whether that was his decision or their OC’s, I don’t know, but I know that it was dumb.

Bama’s #2 & #3 QBs were such dog shit against a mediocre opponent the week after they played us that they immediately went back to Milroe and realized that when he isn’t facing Texas, he’s a really fucking good QB.

Bama’s problem wasn’t Milroe playing like shit at the start of the year. Their problem was that Milroe was playing TEXAS.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Milroe's QB rating was about the same basically every month of the season last year.  The party line that he improved greatly as the year went on was bullshit.  He played well against us and his houdini ability to make plays when their OL was getting whipped was the only reason they scored two of their touchdowns.

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Spindletop said:

I posted this in the A&M thread on the Football board. Reposting here for people's reference:

I don't know much about A&M's history over the last 30 years other than them losing some hilarious games like 27-25 and 77-0, so I asked ChatGPT about the QBs being replaced and this is what it came up with:

1992-1995: Corey Pullig 4-yr starter

1996: Branndon Stewart replaced by Mark Farris midseason

1997-1999: Randy McCown 3-yr starter, replaced Mark Farris

2001: Mark Farris replaced by Dustin Long midseason

2002: Dusting Long replaced by Reggie McNeal midseason

2005: Reggie McNeal replaced by Stephen McGee midseason (injury)

2008: Stephen McGee replaced by Jerrod Johnson midseason (injury)

2010: Jerrod Johnson replaced by Ryan Tannehill

2012-2013: Manziel 2-yr starter

2014: Kenny Hill replaced by Kyle Allen midseason

2015: Kyle Allen replaced by Kyler Murray midseason

2016: Trevor Knight (ChatGPT says he transferred from OU? Don't remember this guy)

2017: Nick Starkel (? who is this?) and Kellen Mond swapped back and forth (?)

2018-2020: Mond starts for 3 yrs

2021: Haynes King replaced by Zach Calzada (injury)

2022: Haynes King replaced by Max Johnson, who was then replaced by Connor Weigman

2024: Looks like Weigman about to be replaced by Marcel Reed

How could you forget one of the most fun aggy qbs ever? Starkel turned down Yale, was called "ass my dude" by Tate Martell, was an open Justin Bieber superfan, took girls out for ice cream dates, and then won a Mountain West Championship with San Jose fucking State.

BNG-L-SJSUFBC-1220-5.jpg?w=1024

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

Wait a minute...

1 hour ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

I'm just surprised aggy hasn't given Marcel Reed some stupid fucking nickname yet.

edit: They probably have I just haven't found it yet..😁

38 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Marcel Football. Not making that up. Fucking aggies. 

I would have bet that "Chocolate Wiggy" would have been their way of honoring Weigman and Reed at the same time.

Marcel Football does have an original right to it.

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

How could you forget one of the most fun aggy qbs ever? Starkel turned down Yale, was called "ass my dude" by Tate Martell, was an open Justin Bieber superfan, took girls out for ice cream dates, and then won a Mountain West Championship with San Jose fucking State.

The woman in that pic looks like she just got surprise poopered.

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

The Yale thing is easily the funniest part of all this. He was potentially (probably) set for life and he gave it up to be... well, aggy

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Childers and Doering this past spring and summer, on separate shows usually, would hammer the same talking point as aggie posters regarding Texas joining the SEC for the 2024 season:

”I think Texas will be good, but I don’t think they’re prepared for the grind of an SEC schedule. “

Doering is the honkiest SEC honk of all media SEC honks outside of Peter Burns. They’re both unbelievable to listen to in that they’ll often act like they’re being objective.

Doering ranked Texas #6 in the SEC! heading into the season. He also stated on multiple occasions that Florida was going to surprise everybody and win a bunch of games as they go bowling this year. He’s a complete fraud as an analyst. 

So what are these guys saying now, as they unwittingly try to rationalize the reality that Texas isn’t just going to know its apparent place in the SEC and sit out a run at the conference title and playoffs? 

“Have you seen how easy this Texas schedule is? They’re getting the luckiest break in the country this season with Michigan being mediocre and getting to avoid 5 of the top 7 teams. “

Right. 

You actually pay attention to Chris fucking Childers?  Are you on the fucking spectrum?  Chris Childers is a fucking clown.  He's a sideshow freak.  He's a moron.  His one purpose in life is to set up Rick fucking Neuheisel, who, despite his failures, actually knows something about football.  Childers is an idiot that buys jerseys on Ebay and has them tailored.

• Haha 2