Flight disrupting assholes Thread of Shame.

crash_davis

11 minutes ago, Chopper said:

This hail storm was a real asshole.

image.thumb.png.366ce3c20aec416375ba1545c1f70c7b.png

Austrian Airlines from Palma de Mallorca to Vienna. Hit on approach, about 150km out.  https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/lufthansa-group/austrian-airlines/airbus-a320-gets-severely-damaged-by-intense-hail-strike/amp/

image.thumb.png.dc47f1bdb8ec881fc4dc91a572293b58.png

image.thumb.png.8fde5b8d46ffaf6817cfed23e12dbca8.png

That last pic is fake.  Because there are no wet spots or runny shit stains on the pilots' seats.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/31/2024 at 1:10 PM, Samson's Wig said:

You've been very lucky, I guess.   Once you're inside the airport, things are generally fine, notwithstanding some of the things already mentioned regarding the way TSA handles pre-check and CLEAR that you don't see at any other decent airport.  It's the dumbasses who wildly overbook flights well beyond the capacity of our system that are the problem (hint - it's operated by the city).  Arrivals and Departure lanes are some of the most fucked up bits of civil engineering I've ever seen, as are the parking lots/garages and ride-share setups.  It's a complete clusterfuck getting in and out of there by vehicle.  Baggage claim, for those crazy enough to check a bag, is completely fucked as well, often with five different giant flights all being piled onto a single baggage claim, where everyone ends up waiting twice as long for their bags compared to seemingly every airport on earth, including those in central and south America.  When the people making decisions on capacity are the same folks concerned about driving tourist dollars to town, you're going to get some seriously fucked up managerial decisions.  The folks abandoning rental cars for miles along the highway during SXSW is a prime example of this type of mismanagement. The same issue is what led to the near runway crash a few years back. We fly way too many planes in and out each day for the size of airport and surrounding infrastructure we have.  The worst part of the airport, in my opinion, is the arrivals lane.  At most times of day you will sit your ass in the most convoluted and long ass line for no good reason other than what I assume is aggie engineering combined with Austin local government planning, even when the airport isn't particularly busy.  There are ways around it, but the fact it's an issue in the first place is pathetic.  It's a completely dysfunctional mess.

Our airport is relatively attractive on the inside, and I appreciate the use of local art and businesses.  But that's about the only thing they've done right.  It's not dissimilar from our city government's decisions to spend money on bike lanes and local art installations instead of basic infrastructure.  So the airport at least matches the city in this regard, I guess.

Here's a list of airports owned and operated by municipalities in the U.S.  Some are better than others, but the difference is rather stark, IMO, when compared to airports owned and operated by an airport authority model (where an independent, i.e. private, body manages the airport on behalf of the municipality).  With these airports, you're at the mercy of how good the city management is, so it varies wildly.

Municipal (City/County) Government Department

ABQ -- Albuquerque International Sunport
ATL -- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport
AUS -- Austin-Bergstrom International Airport
CLE -- Cleveland-Hopkins International Airport
CLT -- Charlotte Douglas International Airport
DEN -- Denver International Airport
IAH -- George Bush Intercontinental Airport
LAS -- Las Vegas McCarran International Airport
LAX -- Los Angeles International Airport

(LAWA)L45 — Bakersfield Municpal Airport (L45)
OMA -- Eppley Airfield
ONT -- Los Angeles/Ontario International Airport (LAWA)
MCI -- Kansas City International Airport
MDW -- Chicago Midway International Airport (CDA)
MIA -- Miami International Airport (MDAD)
MSY -- Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport
OAK -- Oakland International Airport
ORD -- Chicago O'Hare International Airport (CDA)
PHL -- Philadelphia International Airport
PHX -- Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport
SFO -- San Francisco International Airport
SJC -- Norman Y. Mineta San José International Airport
SLC -- Salt Lake City International Airport
SMF -- Sacramento International Airport
STL -- Lambert-St. Louis International Airport

No idea about the rest of this list, but it's 100% wrong about ONT.  ONT was, for a time, owned/operated by LAWA, as was LAX.  ONT got turbofucked in the deal, and the Ontario International Airport Authority took over in 2015, and the airport has been on the upward trajectory since then.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Fucking people, man.  Flew from ATL to DCA today, row 35 out of 38 on the Airbus 380.  Seat belt light barely had clicked off and some dickwad was bustling up from row 38, shoving folks aside to get all the way up to about row 30.  Where he stood for 15 minutes, waiting for everybody to shlep their shit out of the overheads.  DCA is not a big connections airport, so he was just obviously being an entitled dickhead, particularly as I saw him cooling his heels at baggage claim with the rest of us.  SMDH.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 2

Yeah, it seems like they no longer make that announcement about "If someone in your row has a quick connection, please let them out and gather their belongings first."  Or something to that effect.  I remember flying into Sacramento years ago and this guy made a whole production of getting his shit first and shouldering down the aisle past people just patiently waiting to deplane.  Mumbling about having to make his next flight.  and the flight attendant looked confused and said sir, "This is SMF, almost nothing connects through here and it's midnight."  

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, baboso said:

Fucking people, man.  Flew from ATL to DCA today, row 35 out of 38 on the Airbus 380.  Seat belt light barely had clicked off and some dickwad was bustling up from row 38, shoving folks aside to get all the way up to about row 30.  Where he stood for 15 minutes, waiting for everybody to shlep their shit out of the overheads.  DCA is not a big connections airport, so he was just obviously being an entitled dickhead, particularly as I saw him cooling his heels at baggage claim with the rest of us.  SMDH.

A380 you say? I’d pay money to watch a fully loaded A380 attempt to takeoff from DCA’s 7000’ runway.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, royiv said:

A380 you say? I’d pay money to watch a fully loaded A380 attempt to takeoff from DCA’s 7000’ runway.

My bad, just went and checked on my Delta app.  A321.  Guy was still an asshole.

29 minutes ago, baboso said:

6 minutes ago, royiv said:

Oh yeah...my bullshit alarm went off too. 

9 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I've started flying SWA more because of the lack of baggage charges when skiing. If you are booked on a Wanna Get Away fare, how do you get earlier priority seating?

Buy a yippy little dog, buy it one of those “EMOTIONAL SUPPORT ANIMAL” vests, and abandon any shred of dignity you have left. 

• Haha 4

45 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Buy a yippy little dog, buy it one of those “EMOTIONAL SUPPORT ANIMAL” vests, and abandon any shred of dignity you have left. 

Instead of the Emotional Support Animal vest, I might as well get it one of these:

617aAS2bneL._AC_UF10001000_QL80_.thumb.jpg.3b2d04b2737188ab8648008dbb650392.jpg

9 hours ago, Blotto said:

I haven't flown Southwest in awhile, but cant you still just pay something ($25?) for early seating? Early bird or some shit

They are hurting financially, missing earnings. Which leads to this...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/ouch-southwest-airlines-just-raised-early-boarding-fees-heres-how-much-more-youll-pay/ar-BB1nHbq0

Southwest Airlines' EarlyBird Check-In still starts at $15, but can now cost up to $99 one way, depending on the flight. EarlyBird Check-in promises a higher boarding position than regular check-in.

Previously, EarlyBird Check-In cost a maximum of $25 one way.

Southwest Upgraded Boarding, which guarantees a boarding position between A1 and A15 for flights departing within 24 hours, starts at $30 and will now cost as much as $149 per segment per customer.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/30/2024 at 10:19 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Lounges are a step above sitting out in the fray, and getting mediocre food for free instead of paying for it. I find that the demand is so high for entrance that there is usually only 1 or 2 free seats when I enter. One leaves, one enters process.

Given the current lounge experience, I'm surprised we don't see more ultra-lounges (or whatever they would be called) that require 1st class tickets or platinum status.

Centurion Lounge>Admirals Club.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/10/2024 at 8:21 PM, Bevo said:

I've started flying SWA more because of the lack of baggage charges when skiing. If you are booked on a Wanna Get Away fare, how do you get earlier priority seating?

I havent flown SWA in 10+ years, but I would buy the ticket and get the PDF you print out for boarding.  On my Grandmother's grave, I would open it in Photoshop, and change my boarding to A6 or similar.  Never got questioned.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

I miss the old SWA blue plastic strips with numbers on them that we'd hold up high while walking towards the gate. Like cattle with ear tags, except we used our opposable thumbs.

You got to use your thumbs? They always stapled my boarding pass to my chest.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/5/2024 at 8:39 AM, elfenix said:

McCarthy allegedly told police during questioning that he enjoys drinking "Jack and Cokes" and had multiple before boarding his flight in Portland, Ore., and then several more during his layover in Chicago, the complaint states. 

its a hobby, really

McCarthy also claimed that when he returned to his seat after using the bathroom during the flight to New Hampshire, he was “flicking the bean” due to a “medical urination problem,” according to the complaint.

Didn't know dudes could flick their own bean.

image.png.cbf829009239471355780b808ad465f1.png

google his name + Oregon and this is the first linkedin result and the age seems to be about right. I gotta believe things just got a little rougher on the ole job hunt, although the interests section did not mention "Jack and Cokes" so perhaps this is a different Neil McCarthy from Oregon. He's fucked regardless. 

Edited by Blotto

3 hours ago, Blotto said:

google his name + Oregon and this is the first linkedin result and the age seems to be about right. I gotta believe things just got a little rougher on the ole job hunt, although the interests section did not mention "Jack and Cokes" so perhaps this is a different Neil McCarthy from Oregon. He's fucked regardless. 

Well don’t I feel like the fool. I went around drinking very tasty wine in McMinnville not even knowing Jack and Coke was the local favorite. 

3 hours ago, Blotto said:

its a hobby, really

Didn't know dudes could flick their own bean.

That's a dude?

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Pretty uneventful trip to and from Dallas this weekend, everyone was well behave boarding and unboarding the planes. Was really shocked how tame Love was yesterday afternoon.

Edited by Underdog

a little off-topic;

I had a business meet yesterday afternoon near LAX.   I decided to say fuck traffic, and had a nice dinner and drinks, and got a hotel.  I drove back after traffic this morning.

The hotel I got was a crew hotel for several airlines.   Asian/Pacific women usually don't push my buttons, but holy hell...those Philippine Air gals. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

a little off-topic;

I had a business meet yesterday afternoon near LAX.   I decided to say fuck traffic, and had a nice dinner and drinks, and got a hotel.  I drove back after traffic this morning.

The hotel I got was a crew hotel for several airlines.   Asian/Pacific women usually don't push my buttons, but holy hell...those Philippine Air gals. 

Please reload pics.  TY.

• Like 3