Evangelical Christians

Washpark

Relatives who teach there said the Bible was barely mentioned in what he is trying to cite as his justification, that he was unwilling to point out what statute mandates this Bible stuff, and that elected state officials are already publicly warning school districts to tread lightly and read the statutes carefully and not what Walters is claiming.  One of my cousins texted me that her school district’s leadership are flipping out because parents have already contacted them and told them to expect lawsuits if they are pushing the Bible stuff in the fall.  Even though in theory then lawsuits should be handled at the state level, the guidelines are not clear for the districts in terms of what to actually do, and so it’s going to be a fucking mess.
She had 20 kids in her class last school year, and said if you asked the parents how religion should be taught, you’d have 20 different ideas.  They have four schools in their district, and their legal resources are extremely slim.

Of course you will have a variety of opinions, this decision is to break schools and indoctrinate children. Nothing more.
  • Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

People just don’t believe this. I don’t know if they don’t have the stomach for it, it’s too horrifying so it can’t be true, or what, but it’s just not sticking. 

Im pretty much tapped out and thinking the only way to show people the Rs plans are to have them live it. Sucks for most of us, but if we aren’t collectively smart enough to avoid this, we get what we deserve. 

• Hook 'Em 3

The last time an evangelical movement took hold, prohibition happened and had to be undone.  Today there are many more liberties that will be taken away, much more pain from doing so, and a much tougher struggle to undo it all.  

At least prohibition required a national vote- we will be skipping all of that will of the people nonsense this time in favor of the will of god as interpreted by a small group of people that lead a moderate plurality of the country. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The last time an evangelical movement took hold, prohibition happened and had to be undone.  Today there are many more liberties that will be taken away, much more pain from doing so, and a much tougher struggle to undo it all.  

At least prohibition required a national vote- we will be skipping all of that will of the people nonsense this time in favor of the will of god as interpreted by a small group of people that lead a moderate plurality of the country. 

Prohibition required 2 whole ass constitutional amendments both to implement and undo. Nowadays it would be done by executive order, and Congress is too broken to pass any sort of constitutional amendment, so we'd be stuck with it forever.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

What the fuck?  Her background and family life is none of my business.  But...

She led a movement called "SlutWalk", she married Wiz Khalifa whom 99% of MAGA nation would shoot on sight.  She's bisexual, hosted drag shows, was an under-age stripper, and dated a trans-man.  Again, none of my business.  Just something to consider when you realize her adamant pro-Trump position is all.  And I really am left bewildered, is it more odd that she chose Trump or more odd that MAGA nation chose her to speak at their biggest platform in 8 years?  

We are in a simulation.  

Edited by YGIFS

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

What the fuck?  Her background and family life is none of my business.  But...

She led a movement called "SlutWalk", she married Wiz Khalifa whom 99% of MAGA nation would shoot on sight.  She's bisexual, hosted drag shows, was an under-age stripper, and dated a trans-man.  Again, none of my business.  Just something to consider when you realize her adamant pro-Trump position is all.  And I really am left bewildered, is it more odd that she chose Trump or more odd that MAGA nation chose her to speak at their biggest platform in 8 years?  

We are in a simulation.  

It's just a matter of "by any means necessary." It all makes sense when you see it through their lens.

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I don’t think we need a Catholic parallel thread, so I’ll use this one to say that yesterday I saw a bumper sticker they said “help our country, pray the rosary”

The original Catholic rosary had 108 beads just like Buddhist, Hindu, etc prayer necklaces.  I guess there was only one prayer bead necklace factory back then that all religions purchased from.  

• Haha 1

This article, written by an Episcopal priest, describes the Southern Baptist Convention perfectly.  

In my “Religion in North America” class, I often refer to the Southern Baptist Convention as one of only two major examples of religious groups in American history that elected to diminish their numbers in fidelity to doctrinal purity.

Last year, the Southern Baptist Convention saw what was reportedly its largest annual decline in membership, from 13.680 million to 13.223. No worries, though. Women have been shoved aside, and biblical inerrancy (whatever that means) prevails.

https://goodfaithmedia.org/by-the-way-southern-baptist-follies/

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

This provided an opening for the heresy of Christian nationalism.

James Fowler wrote "Stages of Faith" in 1995.

He discussed how much a homogeneous belief group is much easier to steer and coerce.  Here we are.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TeeDubya said:

This article, written by an Episcopal priest, describes the Southern Baptist Convention perfectly.  

https://goodfaithmedia.org/by-the-way-southern-baptist-follies/

I experienced the SBC purges in the 1980s. Entire congregations removed from the SBC in the name of conservatism. They were getting rid of the "liberals" at the time. For them a liberal was an Arminian that believed in the social gospel and "works."

Let them keep reducing their numbers in the name of purity. Their theology is essentially 10% Fischer Price Calvanism and 90% state religion.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m sure there’s plenty of money in the building fund from years of donations, that in no way has been raided to pay for luxurious items for pastor Jeffress.  Right?

they’re getting a huge insurance check plus they’ll start a go fund me 

And they can now just tear the old dog down to go multi story on the clean lot. Wins all around! I have to wonder just how bad the smoke damage is going to be on the nonfire bldgs. 

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Is this where we do the MAGA-evangelical thing and say “that’s God’s judgment for their wicked ways?”
I mean, it’s stupid and wrong, but if that’s how we’re rolling these days, roll all the way.

nah, it's another Venezuelan illegal immigrant thug just released from prison with a one way ticket paid for by the Venuzuelan president to the US that caused this. mass deportation!!!!

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m sure there’s plenty of money in the building fund from years of donations, that in no way has been raided to pay for luxurious items for pastor Jeffress.  Right?

Jesse Arrival GIF by The Righteous Gemstones

• Like 1

Fuck the Southern Baptist Convention -- tried to "fire" the SBC leader for having the temerity to call Joe Biden's decision to remove himself from the 2024 election as a "selfless act." Then, when it got reversed the Chair of the Executive committee resigned in a huff.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/23/us/brent-leatherwood-southern-baptist-convention/index.html

In under 48 hours, the head of the staunchly conservative public-policy arm of the Southern Baptist Convention rankled fellow Baptists by applauding President Joe Biden’s “selfless act” of withdrawing his candidacy for re-election. Then, his agency reported he was fired — and now they have reaffirmed his leadership.

The head-spinning series of events started Sunday, but by Tuesday morning, the SBC’s Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission announced that no, leader Brent Leatherwood wasn’t fired. Rather, he has the full support of his top board members — though its chairman resigned amid the agency’s retraction.

On Monday, the commission issued a statement that the ERLC’s executive committee had removed Leatherwood in accordance with its bylaws.

But on Tuesday, it said, “There was not an authorized meeting, vote, or action taken by the Executive Committee. Kevin Smith has resigned as Chair of the Executive Committee.”

Leatherwood “has our support moving forward,” the executive committee statement said.

Leatherwood posted on X, formerly known as Twitter, Tuesday morning: “I deeply appreciate everyone who has reached out, especially our trustees who were absolutely bewildered at what took place yesterday and jumped in to set the record straight.”

Leatherwood had led the embattled agency through three years as the policy spokesman for the nation’s largest Protestant denomination, but he had not joined in the increasingly public support among many Southern Baptists for former President Donald Trump.

After Biden’s announcement Sunday that he would not seek re-election, Leatherwood called it a “selfless act.”

“We should all express our appreciation that President Biden has put the needs of the nation above his personal ambition,” Leatherwood said.

Leatherwood’s statement prompted fierce blowback on social media from some within the denomination who had already targeted his agency for criticism amid a larger battle to pull the already-conservative denomination even further to the right.

Clint Pressley, the newly elected president of the Southern Baptist Convention, joined in the criticism of the idea that Biden acted on principle.

“Sounds right,” Pressley posted on X in response to a post by a Southern Baptist professor. That professor, Andrew Walker, said Biden’s withdrawal was not an “act of valor” but rather a case of “ultra-powerful” Democrats forcing him out.

Leatherwood came to his job three years ago with conservative credentials. He was a former executive director of the Tennessee Republican Party. He was also a director of communications and policy strategy in the Tennessee General Assembly and worked for several years on Capitol Hill in Washington.

Leatherwood is the father of three children who were at the Covenant School in Nashville last year when it was attacked by a gun-wielding assailant who killed three adults and three other children. Leatherwood joined some other Covenant parents in an unsuccessful effort to advocate for legislation that would keep firearms away from people who could harm themselves or others.

Leatherwood also denounced the publication in some news media of documents attributed to the killer, saying that it only worsened the trauma to families of the schoolchildren. He was also the driving force behind a group of Covenant parents who went to court to keep the shooter’s writings from being released to media and other groups that had filed public records requests. A judge recently blocked the release of the writings.

Leatherwood and his agency had advocated staunchly conservative stances in areas such as opposing abortion, in keeping with official Southern Baptist stances, though he resisted calls by some to advocate legal penalties for women who seek abortions.

At this year’s annual meeting of the Southern Baptist Convention, hundreds attended an unofficial event featuring a video-recorded address by Trump.

But Leatherwood hosted a separate event, also attended by hundreds, in which he interviewed former Vice President Mike Pence, another staunch conservative who received the wrath of Trump and many of the former president’s followers after he refused to use his role to block certification of Biden’s 2020 election victory.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

15 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Why are these assholes expressing a political opinion either way?  Fuck em. Pay taxes.

well it is a miracle they took a break from raping kids to get mad about something 

so there’s that 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Why are these assholes expressing a political opinion either way?  Fuck em. Pay taxes.

I grew up going to a 1st Baptist Church.  Remember sermons going back to the late 70's.  Went most weeks until I left home to go to UT.  I do not ever remember a time when there weren't political flyers right next to the weekly programs and those little books that are meant to keep kids occupied so they don't act up during the super boring sermon.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, C-Man said:

Fuck the Southern Baptist Convention -- tried to "fire" the SBC leader for having the temerity to call Joe Biden's decision to remove himself from the 2024 election as a "selfless act." Then, when it got reversed the Chair of the Executive committee resigned in a huff.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/23/us/brent-leatherwood-southern-baptist-convention/index.html

Southern Baptists are raging assholes that throw shitty potlucks.

Edited by F250
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

On 7/20/2024 at 10:58 AM, Jive Turkey said:

IMG_1978.thumb.jpeg.c641e9529a4b1d939454fea0586ad2b3.jpeg

To be fair, a nation giving in to their worst desires (doing what’s right in their own eyes in terms of hatred, cruelty towards foreigners, etc.), demanding a plainly wicked leader so as to embrace their degeneracy, and then having a series of catastrophes destroy the nation is the plot of large portions of the Old Testament.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1