Evangelical Christians

Washpark

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Seems like a pretty lazy and unimaginative way to name a church. Do they ever reseed the rankings?

I've seen it happen during realignment. A "First Baptist" in town was much smaller than the non-First Baptist and dropped the name and realigned their commitment to the SBC. It was like a flagship university changing their name to a directional school name and dropping down to FCS. Sure, they are still D1 and play football but nobody watches their games.

Edited by F250
  • Haha 2

Well shit, I'll slam a green been casserole. Maybe I should join the church.

We attend a Presbyterian church. Years ago, we did a joint MLK day service…with Ebenezer Baptist. We then did a joint pot luck.
That was an embarrassing culinary ass-kicking. 90% of the Presby dishes hardly got touched….whereas there were almost fights over the 5 kinds of grits, 3 types of bbq, 4 types of Mac and cheese, greens, and other deliciousness the Ebenezer folks brought. It was brutal.
Also, I ate a LOT that day.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 2

We attend a Presbyterian church. Years ago, we did a joint MLK day service…with Ebenezer Baptist. We then did a joint pot luck.
That was an embarrassing culinary ass-kicking. 90% of the Presby dishes hardly got touched….whereas there were almost fights over the 5 kinds of grits, 3 types of bbq, 4 types of Mac and cheese, greens, and other deliciousness the Ebenezer folks brought. It was brutal.

When I was a sophomore at Ole Miss, I reluctantly agreed to go to church with a black friend of mine who played football. He was from Lake Jackson, TX, and went on to play pro ball for a while. Myself, not being a church-goer, was extremely pissed about being up that early on a Sunday. But a promise is a promise. To this day, this was arguably the greatest church experience of my life. The only thing better than the service, was what I called, “the after party”. Other than my trip down to the swamp for my baseball teammates’ grandmother’s birthday party, had I experienced quantity and quality go hand in hand when it came to food. Just thinking about it today, makes me hungry.

Sorry, back to the idiots.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

When I was a sophomore at Ole Miss, I reluctantly agreed to go to church with a black friend of mine who played football. He was from Lake Jackson, TX, and went on to play pro ball for a while. Myself, not being a church-goer, was extremely pissed about being up that early on a Sunday. But a promise is a promise. To this day, this was arguably the greatest church experience of my life. The only thing better than the service, was what I called, “the after party”. Other than my trip down to the swamp for my baseball teammates’ grandmother’s birthday party, had I experienced quantity and quality go hand in hand when it came to food. Just thinking about it today, makes me hungry.

Sorry, back to the idiots.

Sorry for thread derail but my daughter is going to be a freshman at Ole Miss this fall. She’s pretty liberal, hates Trump and will have to bite her tongue pretty hard, I’m sure, but it’s a beautiful campus and Oxford is amazing. (My ex and most of her family went to OM — ex FIL played baseball/basketball there in the 60’s.)
  • Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

And that was different from every other day how exactly?

I'll have you know I had half a salad for lunch today.  Getting fit, losing weight, feeling good, man.

But, I mean....I'd kill for a bowl of green chile cheese grits.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

PCUSA I hope. I’m about to do my 2nd term on the session and I’ve headed up fellowship for 3 years, one luncheon a month. When your average member age is 78 you gotta be careful with the spices. Next weekend we’re taking a chartered bus to an Astros game and this year they made me buy primo seats because last year the old folks almost fell trying to get to their seats.

I’ve gotten to be close friends with our pastor and I still don’t know if she’s a lesbian because it’s none of my fucking business who or if she fucks. In fact, the question has only sped through my brain for a fleeting moment because it’s unimportant - and, tbh, it was male ego, ie “she is a wonderful lady. I’m lucky she is leading our church. I wonder if she is attracted to me?” And all the conservative assholes departed for the PCA or Pioneer Presbyterian church, and PCUSA is so damned liberal and loving and I am so grateful I’ve never heard anything remotely political at church other than love thy neighbor. It’s a magical la la land where we still sing 300 year old hymns.

afa2fe0e6a80364b802e725329b23b4e.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

7 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Brave guy to risk his job. Most likely there is at least 25% of his audience being described, to their face, in terms they won't like to hear. And like with many lectures, those who get offended are the ones who are most guilty.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/30/2024 at 2:57 AM, tx 3 putt said:

He’s not wrong, but I don’t think this is compelling for those susceptible to falling into Christian nationalism. There are large groups in theologically conservative evangelical churches that can be moved away from this garbage — they were manipulated into it to begin with — but I think the case needs to be a spiritual/biblical one, not a-good-for-society one.

This movement is damaging churches too and is contrary to anything but the most tortured reading of the Bible. The remaining religious leaders whom haven’t fallen into this need to be hammering on this point. Their message should be saving the church.

Arguing against the idea of “America as a Christian nation” accepts it on the the nationalists’ terms. Sure, it’s good to provide a counter-narrative, but it’s too easy to muddy the waters and lead too many to believe that America was actually founded as a Christian nation. It starts to feel like a game picking and choosing gotcha quotes that leave too many to revert to whatever feels comfortable.

For the rank and file evangelical, they need to be reminded that the thing they profess to most value — the propagation of the Gospel — is being destroyed by the Christian nationalist movement. Lust for power and hurting any and everyone is clearly evil in itself, but it’s very practically also damaging the relevance of the need for Jesus.

The cynical religious leaders probably can’t be reached. They are seeking their reward on earth and appear to not believe in the hell that they are preaching, but there are lots of regular folks who could probably be saved. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Mole said:

He’s not wrong, but I don’t think this is compelling for those susceptible to falling into Christian nationalism. There are large groups in theologically conservative evangelical churches that can be moved away from this garbage — they were manipulated into it to begin with — but I think the case needs to be a spiritual/biblical one, not a-good-for-society one.

This movement is damaging churches too and is contrary to anything but the most tortured reading of the Bible. The remaining religious leaders whom haven’t fallen into this need to be hammering on this point. Their message should be saving the church.

Arguing against the idea of “America as a Christian nation” accepts it on the the nationalists’ terms. Sure, it’s good to provide a counter-narrative, but it’s too easy to muddy the waters and lead too many to believe that America was actually founded as a Christian nation. It starts to feel like a game picking and choosing gotcha quotes that leave too many to revert to whatever feels comfortable.

For the rank and file evangelical, they need to be reminded that the thing they profess to most value — the propagation of the Gospel — is being destroyed by the Christian nationalist movement. Lust for power and hurting any and everyone is clearly evil in itself, but it’s very practically also damaging the relevance of the need for Jesus.

The cynical religious leaders probably can’t be reached. They are seeking their reward on earth and appear to not believe in the hell that they are preaching, but there are lots of regular folks who could probably be saved. 

You're not wrong....but you are way, way, way too late.  My wife has regularly observed that resurrection is an essential part of the Christian story, and the arc of the faith.  To be resurrected....a thing first must die.

It is probably well past time for "the Church" in America to die.  It is too riddled with cancer to be saved, it is not worth saving.  Let it die.  Then see what shows up at the resurrection, and nurture that.

Let it go, Indy.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Mole said:

100% agree. I don’t really have a right to agree though since I left. But I left for reasons not entirely unrelated to your points.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

You're not wrong....but you are way, way, way too late.  My wife has regularly observed that resurrection is an essential part of the Christian story, and the arc of the faith.  To be resurrected....a thing first must die.

It is probably well past time for "the Church" in America to die.  It is too riddled with cancer to be saved, it is not worth saving.  Let it die.  Then see what shows up at the resurrection, and nurture that.

Let it go, Indy.

You are correct too, but not all churches are beyond salvage just many and most if not all of the white conservative ones. 

33 minutes ago, troph said:

You are correct too, but not all churches are beyond salvage just many and most if not all of the white conservative ones. 

Sure.  But when "the body of Christ" is more cancer than body....you let the whole fucking thing go.

I mean, I'm sure that not every person on earth was deeply evil and worthy of drowning, but God flooded the whole planet and killed em all anyway.  Right?  Fundagelicals should take that lesson to heed -- make something shitty enough, and the right move is to wipe the whole damned institution out.

I know plenty of good, even great churches/congregations.  Is there any way to separate the body from the cancer any more?  I doubt it.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Sure.  But when "the body of Christ" is more cancer than body....you let the whole fucking thing go.

I mean, I'm sure that not every person on earth was deeply evil and worthy of drowning, but God flooded the whole planet and killed em all anyway.  Right?  Fundagelicals should take that lesson to heed -- make something shitty enough, and the right move is to wipe the whole damned institution out.

I know plenty of good, even great churches/congregations.  Is there any way to separate the body from the cancer any more?  I doubt it.

Nah man they got the promise yo. Fucking queers stealing it so they can rape pillage and kill to get that rainbow back. They back baby they gettin’ it back!!

1 hour ago, cactusflinthead said:

His delivery could use some work but the message hits.

Is this political speech in the pulpit?

Don't care. I don't give a damn if they preach politics. At least I know where they stand. I know where Jeffress is going to stand on these issues. It's refreshing to hear an amen from an elder in the pews.

He’s a Democrat and a state representative from Round Rock.

And a UT grad.  Some Surly poster knows him from UT.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Born and raised in Williamson County and a product of Round Rock ISD and UT-Austin.

Some times unicorns happen.

Well, it took Nixon to go to China.

I'd subscribe to his newsletter and throw some dollars in the plate. 

Edit: seriously who is he?

Edited by cactusflinthead

• 2 weeks later...

Well I can’t read the comments because I refuse to support a right wing billionaire troll…so I’ll assume that their statue of Mojo Jojo offends you somehow and the comments are full of manufactured outrage, bots peddling manufactured outrage, and a breathtaking circle jerk of fear and loathing.  

And you calling anything or anyone goofy, even in jest, is rich

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, PRONG HORN said:

What if he was a left wing billionaire troll?  

Honestly? All billionaires need to be made to sit down and shut the fuck up. But until then, I’ll align with those on the left to combat the hatred of humanity present on the right.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...