SEC Network

Zeus

Remember when everyone was upset at “Texas Day Takeover” on the SEC Network how the SEC was playing favorites to Texas and somehow a Texas Day on the SEC network meant we were trying to take the conference over and it was shitty that Sankey was bowing down to Texas in our first year and a bunch of other superficial shit that people kept saying? 

Well it turns out they had planned all along to do a day for each school. Yesterday was Tennessee, 4th of July was South Carolina, today is Missouri so each school gets their “takeover day” on the network. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/1/2024 at 10:56 AM, mbtex said:

Colt injury excuse drinking game is fucking hilarious.  In fairness to Texas, consider this reasonably plausible alternate history scenario:  Remember, it was only a three point game in the fourth quarter. If Squints instead of blind side sack fumbling had connected with Shipley a couple of times on that fateful drive, your ace kicker would likely have tied the game with enough time left for us to choke and lose in regulation or OT.  Mack stays at Texas through the 2010s, sparing Horns Nation a decade of whining and misery.  I concede, Colt’s shoulder injury was a watershed moment in football fortunes for Texas and Alabama.  I also concede last September 9th may have been another.  It certainly felt like one.  Time wounds all heels.  Roll Tide anyway.

Our quarterback did play the whole game . . . with broken ribs.  

Edited by Bama Llama
Caint spayell
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

Remember when everyone was upset at “Texas Day Takeover” on the SEC Network how the SEC was playing favorites to Texas and somehow a Texas Day on the SEC network meant we were trying to take the conference over and it was shitty that Sankey was bowing down to Texas in our first year and a bunch of other superficial shit that people kept saying? 

Well it turns out they had planned all along to do a day for each school. Yesterday was Tennessee, 4th of July was South Carolina, today is Missouri so each school gets their “takeover day” on the network. 

They do this on the reg, especially in slow times of the year.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SurlyGator said:

They do this on the reg, especially in slow times of the year.

I thought they did, which is why I was wondering why other schools were whining about it so much when they did Texas on the SEC celebration day or whatever.

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I thought they did, which is why I was wondering why other schools were whining about it so much when they did Texas on the SEC celebration day or whatever.

Because people love to bitch...especially it appears people from the state of Tennessee. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Every school has whiners.  The Texas whiners just don't have to stones to hang out on Surly.

• Haha 1

On 7/1/2024 at 10:56 AM, mbtex said:

The only time SEC Shorts approached humor was the aggy Qatar nuclear secrets joke during their 2023 season grades sketch. 

I guess they’re fine and serve a limited purpose of SEC teams not taking themselves too seriously. 

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Because people love to bitch...especially it appears people from the state of Tennessee. 

They're just butthurt because we didn't try harder to steal their baseball corch.

4 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

Colt injury excuse drinking game is fucking hilarious.  In fairness to Texas, consider this reasonably plausible alternate history scenario:  Remember, it was only a three point game in the fourth quarter. If Squints instead of blind side sack fumbling had connected with Shipley a couple of times on that fateful drive, your ace kicker would likely have tied the game with enough time left for us to choke and lose in regulation or OT.  Mack stays at Texas through the 2010s, sparing Horns Nation a decade of whining and misery.  I concede, Colt’s shoulder injury was a watershed moment in football fortunes for Texas and Alabama.  I also concede last September 9th may have been another.  It certainly felt like one.  Time wounds all heels.  Roll Tide anyway.

Our quarterback did play the whole game . . . with broken ribs.  

Our QB was our key offensive player. Your QB…was an average ball distributor with great weapons around him. Nothing more than a game manager. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

They're just butthurt because we didn't try harder to steal their baseball corch.

No, they just inherently cry.  Living in Nashville, local sports talk radio frequently refers to BVS - Battered Vol Syndrome.  The aggy-esque roller coaster plunges over the years have had PTSD-type affects.  You will pick it up pretty quick when their games start going south (which they will).

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

Our QB was our key offensive player. Your QB…was an average ball distributor with great weapons around him. Nothing more than a game manager. 

Granted.  I watched every play of every Bama game that season.  I watched a lot of Texas and Colt as well.  Colt was a very special cfb player and he and Shipley were like Pat Haden and J.K. McKay and Lynn Swann.  

I would rather Colt had not been injured and hear all the bitching lo these many yesrs.  Marcel Dareus, Rolando McClain, Erik Anders and the Bama defense put several dual threat qbs out of games that year.  Was Texas’s qb corch not aware of that?  Made me wonder how much video Colt watched. That play happened right in front of me.  My first thought when Colt walked off the field with a limp arm was, “Dumbass! Don’t you know better than to run a qb keeper on us?!  Especially to Dareus’s side?”

As far as McElroy being nothing but a game manager, I challenge you to watch the full game you tube of the 2009 SEC championship.  He led not one but two 7:30 minute drives in the second half.  Timmah Tebow never had a chance to pull of a miraculous comeback because his ass was crying on sideline with Urban watching the game tick away while our game manager nailed down the win, making Texas vs Bama happen.

Football is a rough and dangerous sport played by fast, powerful men.  Injuries happen, both game changing and career ending.  We will never know what would have happened if Colt had zigged instead of zagged on that play.

I believe it would have been a tight game.  Pre-Colt injury, we appeared tight and Mack had a great plan, pooching kickoffs away from Arenas.  Our offense took a while to get limbered up but Colt didn’t play defense.  Ingram and Richardson had some good running lanes and made the most of it.

Texas has superior personnel now and we’re sailing into the unknown with DeBoer.  Good luck, Horns.  I hope you deflower the Big House in a more debauched way than you did Bryant-Denny.  Welcome to the “SEC.”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Meh, I find the SEC network to be just like LHN, but with a lot more money thrown at it. I soured on ESPN years ago, not thrilled we're locked in to the mouse for the foreseeable future.

15 minutes ago, ousux said:

Meh, I find the SEC network to be just like LHN, but with a lot more money thrown at it. I soured on ESPN years ago, not thrilled we're locked in to the mouse for the foreseeable future.

The Big Ten Network has never impressed me. About the same production quality of Root Sports or Bally’s. 

That said, FOX actually broadcasts games in 4k. I will miss that. 

I’d imagine night games were part of the SEC/ESPN pitch. We’ll be extremely fortunate to get one conference game in primetime this season. 

18 minutes ago, ousux said:

And all the white guys have a very noticeable accent. 

28 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’d imagine night games were part of the SEC/ESPN pitch. We’ll be extremely fortunate to get one conference game in primetime this season. 

UTSA on ESPN and ULM on SECN are night games in DKR.

Florida at DKR is 11a, Michigan at the Big House is Big Noon, and the game in Fayetteville is also early.

Colorado St and Mississippi State in DKR are afternoon kicks, as well as OU at the Cotton Bowl, and Vandy in Nashville.

UGA and UK are “flex” meaning either 230 or 7. The game at aggy is also a “flex”.

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

UTSA on ESPN and ULM on SECN are night games in DKR.

Florida at DKR is 11a, Michigan at the Big House is Big Noon, and the game in Fayetteville is also early.

Colorado St and Mississippi State in DKR are afternoon kicks, as well as OU at the Cotton Bowl, and Vandy in Nashville.

UGA and UK are “flex” meaning either 230 or 7. The game at aggy is also a “flex”.

I should have been more specific, conference home games. UTSA and ULM don’t count. 

I bet Georgia is at 230. ESPN has to showcase that time slot. I bet Kentucky is a night game. OU at Bama is the better matchup, and probably gets the 230 slot. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

You'd rather be locked into Big Noon with Fox?

Yep there’s literally no better options. 

big 12 is dogshit I’d rather watch Texas in the sec even if it was only available on something regarded like satellite or tubi 

I bet Bama and Tennessee gets the 2:30 spot on October 19th since that's a rivalry game and Texas and Georgia get the night spot on ABC. ABC still likes night games in prime time. There's no good Big 10 games to compete with the night slot. Remember that ESPN and ABC both have a night game option. 6:30 on ESPN. 7 on ABC. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

OU at Bama is the better matchup, and probably gets the 230 slot. 

Did you mean OU at Auburn?  Bama’s at OU late in the season.  I hope OU humiliates the tigers/whar eagles/ plainsmen.  Assholes. They can never suffer enough.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bama Llama said:

Did you mean OU at Auburn?  Bama’s at OU late in the season.  I hope OU humiliates the tigers/whar eagles/ plainsmen.  Assholes. They can never suffer enough.

Sorry, but nothing good happens when OU wins.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

I believe OU at Bama is the same Saturday as Kentucky at Texas. That’s what I meant. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, mdmost said:

I bet Bama and Tennessee gets the 2:30 spot on October 19th since that's a rivalry game and Texas and Georgia get the night spot on ABC. ABC still likes night games in prime time. There's no good Big 10 games to compete with the night slot. Remember that ESPN and ABC both have a night game option. 6:30 on ESPN. 7 on ABC. 

Yeah that’ll probably happen. 

My point still stands. 1 or 2 night SEC home night games is not the prince we were promised. Florida at 11am is a fucking joke. I’m still excited. Still looking forward to it. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yeah that’ll probably happen. 

My point still stands. 1 or 2 night SEC home night games is not the prince we were promised. Florida at 11am is a fucking joke. I’m still excited. Still looking forward to it. 

Florida is likely coming off a loss to UGA the week before and we’ll be fresh off a bye week. They aren’t expecting that game to be competitive.

I’m happy the Arkansas game is 11am but fuck FOX for giving us Big Noon against Michigan. I think two 11am games a year is fine. If the other 8 are 230 or 7pm I won’t complain.

6 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I believe OU at Bama is the same Saturday as Kentucky at Texas. That’s what I meant. 

Bama plays OU at Norman, not Tuscaloosa.  For the last millenium, that weekend was always a home game reserved for a lightweight opponent aka the annual cupcake. Not so this time.  Kentucky will challenge Texas for about five minutes of the first quarter.

8 hours ago, dcbc said:

Sorry, but nothing good happens when OU wins.

I feel the same way about Auburn.  It is a wretched hive of scum and villainy, where nothing is heard when they lose but the laughter of the damned.  Pretty good vet school, though.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I believe every SEC school claims to have a good vet school.  Kind of goes with the territory.

Your belief is misplaced.  Alabama, Texas and OU do not have vet schools.  I don’t know about the others other than Alldumb, LSU and aggy.  Not likely Ole Miss has a vet school.  I went to Miss State back in the days before electricity and all the pre-vet undergrads there were absolute aces.  I ain’t no vet but highly respect them.

13 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Noon eastern is fox’s marquee time slot as it’s their only national game I believe. Of course Texas at Michigan gets that spot. 

I get that, but some games deserve to be prime time and that arrangement is fucking shit up. I wanted to see the Big House at night. Alabama at Texas should have been a night game too.

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
On 7/6/2024 at 3:38 PM, Bama Llama said:

Granted.  I watched every play of every Bama game that season.  I watched a lot of Texas and Colt as well.  Colt was a very special cfb player and he and Shipley were like Pat Haden and J.K. McKay and Lynn Swann.  

I would rather Colt had not been injured and hear all the bitching lo these many yesrs.  Marcel Dareus, Rolando McClain, Erik Anders and the Bama defense put several dual threat qbs out of games that year.  Was Texas’s qb corch not aware of that?  Made me wonder how much video Colt watched. That play happened right in front of me.  My first thought when Colt walked off the field with a limp arm was, “Dumbass! Don’t you know better than to run a qb keeper on us?!  Especially to Dareus’s side?”

As far as McElroy being nothing but a game manager, I challenge you to watch the full game you tube of the 2009 SEC championship.  He led not one but two 7:30 minute drives in the second half.  Timmah Tebow never had a chance to pull of a miraculous comeback because his ass was crying on sideline with Urban watching the game tick away while our game manager nailed down the win, making Texas vs Bama happen.

Football is a rough and dangerous sport played by fast, powerful men.  Injuries happen, both game changing and career ending.  We will never know what would have happened if Colt had zigged instead of zagged on that play.

I believe it would have been a tight game.  Pre-Colt injury, we appeared tight and Mack had a great plan, pooching kickoffs away from Arenas.  Our offense took a while to get limbered up but Colt didn’t play defense.  Ingram and Richardson had some good running lanes and made the most of it.

Texas has superior personnel now and we’re sailing into the unknown with DeBoer.  Good luck, Horns.  I hope you deflower the Big House in a more debauched way than you did Bryant-Denny.  Welcome to the “SEC.”

Every other Mckelroy drop back in that game ended up with him on his back. Yall only had 11 official passing attempts for the game yet he was sacked 5 times. The Bama OL was getting destroyed by our pass rush. Had Bama ever been put into a situation where they had to pass the ball (ie Colt playing puts more pressure on your offense, hence the out of character fake punt by Bama to start the game) Mckelroy and the Bama passing attack wouldve been in trouble. Gilbert's numerous turnovers to start the game put our smaller defense on the field for far too long and they couldnt hold up. Styles make fights and without Colt the style of the game turned into a style we couldn't compete in. A shootout would've made for a different style game, thus a different fight. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Every other Mckelroy drop back in that game ended up with him on his back. Yall only had 11 official passing attempts for the game yet he was sacked 5 times. The Bama OL was getting destroyed by our pass rush. Had Bama ever been put into a situation where they had to pass the ball (ie Colt playing puts more pressure on your offense, hence the out of character fake punt by Bama to start the game) Mckelroy and the Bama passing attack wouldve been in trouble. Gilbert's numerous turnovers to start the game put our smaller defense on the field for far too long and they couldnt hold up. Styles make fights and without Colt the style of the game turned into a style we couldn't compete in. A shootout would've made for a different style game, thus a different fight. 

Well put.  Shame we never found out.  Colt believed he could escape, dodge or slide around our linebackers but he didn’t make it. Turning point, leading to what you outlined above. Hell, all might have ended differently if Mack or whoever called the play had just let the first half run out without that ill fated shovel pass. We’ll never know but I know what Horns World will always believe.  Shit man, enjoy riding the wave you’re on now and tip your hat to Sark and to Nick for giving him a job.  I wasn’t sure if Texas would ever be . . . back.