The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

On 5/28/2024 at 9:46 PM, Goofyboy said:

Opinions on Cartier Santos? I haven’t seen Cartier really mentioned much.

Bought mine 40 years ago.  Still a daily wear.  Been back to the factory twice for service.  Never any trouble, but about every 15 years I send it in.  Gets lubed, polished, etc...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Elvis said:

Damn, that's pretty.  But Citiezen is my dailer beater.  $2300 ain't my price rance for Citizen.

It's expensive because it's a limited edition released to celebrate Citizen's 100th anniversary. @Covri the non-limited edition version CC4050 goes for about half that price in the JDM market, FYI.

s-l1200.webp

Don't sleep on Citizen's higher-end stuff. Their Attesa and Chronomaster/"The Citizen" lines are good alternatives to Seiko's Astron and Grand Seiko lines.

Edited by satyanash

What’s the cut off between affordable watch and what belongs on this thread?
I posted this on the affordable watch thread. It looks great to me, but it’s only a pedestrian $1,000. 

image.thumb.png.14f42653cb685a665707e1a1511701d0.png
Farer is great. I'd say it's on the cut line of about $1,000. Could go either place. I'd take this over the Citizen above.

@HoustonHorn to the white courtesy phone please.... My daughter is in the market for a lady's watch.  Requirements not round, anything but round.  But I did send her a pict of a Zenith Elite Ultra-Thin Lady, she admitted it was nice.  Metal bracelet.  Movement can be auto or quartz.  I recommended Cartier Santos, a Frank Muller and JLC Reverso.  She works as a CFP and is stepping up the office attire game and it would be her first watch.  Reverso and below.  We can DM or other as not to derail the spirit of this thread.  Ideas?

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

@HoustonHorn to the white courtesy phone please.... My daughter is in the market for a lady's watch.  Requirements not round, anything but round.  But I did send her a pict of a Zenith Elite Ultra-Thin Lady, she admitted it was nice.  Metal bracelet.  Movement can be auto or quartz.  I recommended Cartier Santos, a Frank Muller and JLC Reverso.  She works as a CFP and is stepping up the office attire game and it would be her first watch.  Reverso and below.  We can DM or other as not to derail the spirit of this thread.  Ideas?

My vote goes Reverso.

On 6/7/2024 at 9:48 PM, Superhero said:

I posted this on the affordable watch thread. It looks great to me, but it’s only a pedestrian $1,000. 

image.thumb.png.14f42653cb685a665707e1a1511701d0.png

I have a Lander GMT with the original brass crown which became difficult to turn after 4-5 years. They said they could service it for $400 which really sucks on a $1300 watch.  They look great, though. 

On 6/8/2024 at 4:48 AM, Superhero said:

if the dealer dont offer a payment plan it dont count

• Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

On 6/9/2024 at 8:52 AM, Bevo&Pevo said:

Tank is the answer.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 6/9/2024 at 8:52 AM, Bevo&Pevo said:

Another vote for a Tank here. 

• 2 weeks later...

Priscilla wears a pink face Cartier Roadster.  They don't make them anymore, so you would have to shop used.  Pretty classic and feminine too.  I like it better than the Tank 

cartier-roadster-pink-ladies-watch-w6201

• Hook 'Em 1

Nice for sure.  I chatted with her a bit yesterday.  She's been trying on wrist candy for sizing purposes.  So, she is still in the discovery phase.  She also said, she's moving off Memorial to the 26th of some building.   Livin' in high cotton.  Wait and see.  

1 hour ago, pearlandhorn said:

I need to take my submariner in for servicing and cleaning in Houston. Anybody got any recommendations? I purchased from Valobra’s in Houston about 10 years ago but not sure if the guy who services them is still there.

At least for my wife's watch, Valobra sent it out elsewhere for servicing.  I don't know where it was sent (more precisely, I don't know where it currently is since we haven't picked it up yet).

• Hook 'Em 1