All things SNL

Dr. Teeth

Jason Reitman’s ‘SNL’ Movie Gets Title & Fall Release Date

Jason Reitman’s Untitled SNL 1975 project has been titled Saturday Night and will be released in theaters on October 11 via Columbia Pictures.

October 11 is the same date of the legendary NBC comedy show’s first-ever broadcast in 1975. The late-night staple will launch its 50th season this fall.

The murderer’s row ensemble cast includes Gabriel LaBelle (as Lorne Michaels), Dylan O’Brien (Dan Aykroyd), Cory Michael Smith (Chevy Chase), Rachel Sennott (Rosie Shuster), Lamorne Morris (Garrett Morris), Nicholas Braun (Jim Henson), Finn Wolfhard (NBC page), Jon Batiste (Billy Preston), Ella Hunt (Gilda Radner), Cooper Hoffman (Dick Ebersol), Andrew Barth Feldman (Neil Levy), Naomi McPherson (Janis Ian), Willem Dafoe (David Tebet), J.K. Simmons (Milton Berle) and Kaia Gerber (Jacqueline Carlin), among others.

Directed by Reitman and written by Gil Kenan & Reitman, the film is based on a true story and follows the humor, chaos and magic of what happened behind the scenes in the 90 minutes leading up to the first broadcast of Saturday Night Live.

The pic is produced by Jason Blumenfeld, Peter Rice, Reitman and Kenan. EPs are Erica Mills and JoAnn Perritano.

Kenan directed and Reitman and Kenan produced and wrote Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire, which was released in March and made $113.3M domestic and $201.8M at the global box office.

13 minutes ago, RPM said:

Jason Reitman’s ‘SNL’ Movie Gets Title & Fall Release Date

Jason Reitman’s Untitled SNL 1975 project has been titled Saturday Night and will be released in theaters on October 11 via Columbia Pictures.

October 11 is the same date of the legendary NBC comedy show’s first-ever broadcast in 1975. The late-night staple will launch its 50th season this fall.

The murderer’s row ensemble cast includes Gabriel LaBelle (as Lorne Michaels), Dylan O’Brien (Dan Aykroyd), Cory Michael Smith (Chevy Chase), Rachel Sennott (Rosie Shuster), Lamorne Morris (Garrett Morris), Nicholas Braun (Jim Henson), Finn Wolfhard (NBC page), Jon Batiste (Billy Preston), Ella Hunt (Gilda Radner), Cooper Hoffman (Dick Ebersol), Andrew Barth Feldman (Neil Levy), Naomi McPherson (Janis Ian), Willem Dafoe (David Tebet), J.K. Simmons (Milton Berle) and Kaia Gerber (Jacqueline Carlin), among others.

Directed by Reitman and written by Gil Kenan & Reitman, the film is based on a true story and follows the humor, chaos and magic of what happened behind the scenes in the 90 minutes leading up to the first broadcast of Saturday Night Live.

The pic is produced by Jason Blumenfeld, Peter Rice, Reitman and Kenan. EPs are Erica Mills and JoAnn Perritano.

Kenan directed and Reitman and Kenan produced and wrote Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire, which was released in March and made $113.3M domestic and $201.8M at the global box office.

I like the concept, 90 minutes before the show starts. I don’t care about how Chevy Chase grew up. 

I wouldn’t call that cast a murder’s row. It’s a lot of interesting actors who have done interesting things. Dafoe and Simmons are the only names. 

I’m in. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

I’ve never heard of most of those people and those I have are way past their prime.

That might be more of an indictment of your age than the quality of the cast.

Dylan O'Brien, Lamorne Morris, Nicholas Braun, Finn Wolfhand, Jon Batiste, and Kaia Gerber are all known with high Q scores. You've even enjoyed some of their work I'd wager.  Cooper Hoffman is Phillip Seymour's adult son. Time keeps flowing like a river.

No cast updates?! Be better surly. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/tv/2024/08/02/saturday-night-live-punkie-johnson-molly-kearney-depart/74652970007/

Punkie is kind of a loss. Molly was unmemorable to worthless. I assume they’re tightening up the casts because of the dozens of cameos and former cast member appearances schedule for the 50th season. Maya Rudolph coming back every week to portray Kamala Harris feels like a very safe bet. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

And that had a big influence on Punkie Johnson deciding to walk away from the show.  Otherwise, looks like the cast is set.  

Hopefully Punkie’s Kamala impression gets leaked somewhere. She won’t be better than Rudolph, but I think she could do a competent impression. 

Tough break, but Lorne has a deep bench of former cast members that aren’t very busy and live in New York. (Yes I know Rudolph has a show on Apple that nobody watches). 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Yeah, her's was pretty good.  Maya's is just on another level.  And the added layer that she has a very mixed-racial/mixed-religious background in real life.  There's not a 2000's SNL fan among us who can honestly they never once paused to think, "Hmmm...I wonder what Maya's ethic background is."; but not like a creep MSM news as of late way, just that she can do many impressions of different backgrounds with ease.  IRL-I didn't realize her mom was a huge teen/20's pop sensation.  Which would explain Maya's musical chops, which could come in handy for Harris sketches.  

I'm sure the multi-racial Maya playing the bi-racial Kamala Harris will cause a few boycotts.  There will also likely have been a VPOTUS debate before the season debut, so I wonder who'll play Vance.  As stated above, Molly would have been an interesting take but is also leaving the show.  Dismukes or Day are the only current cast members that could pull it off, and not that originally.  But I don't know that an alum/celeb cameo would agree to multiple appearances between September and November-January for maybe doing Vance 1 or 2 times/month.  

A wildcard I could see would be John Higgins (the shorter, bearded guy from 'Please Don't Destroy')

I like the idea, though Steve may come across as a little too dry for a Walz impression.  But he’s obviously got range still in his old age.  

Logistical, he’s got several tour dates in October and early November.  And when he gets mini breaks from tour dates, he usually stays in his LA home, not NYC. Stll, if Lorne asked him, he’d make it work.  

Franken comes to mind.  Jim gaffigan could pull it off but he’s never done terribly well on ensemble/sketch comedy.  

two other thoughts on Vance.  Shane Gillis; who was almost a cast meMber and did host well.  And dark horse candidate Zach Galifinakis.  Aside from the physical resemblance, Zach has the comedic gift of going big while coming across as small.  Vance tries to go big but comes across as smaller.  Zach would be able to can that to his advantage.  

There are only six Saturdays between premiere and Election Day. Five will be new, live broadcasts with one set aside for rerun/halloween special/political sketches of the past.  They’ll still bring the losing ticket back every now and again throughout season 50.  But the main four will have to commit to at least 4 of those 5 shows, if not all 5.  

Get the blow ready.  

Edited by YGIFS

And he is familiar with Vance refrigeration in the Midwest.  

You’ve got the two tops accounted for.  I guess you could do one relative unknown or rep player; and one splash celeb, between the two veeps.  

They’ll settle on them soon because writers have been called back between Labor Day and first Saturday.  They’ll do weeks of full time writing and pitches before week of regular schedule on 23rd.  I’m guessing they’ll all watch convention intently and make the calls after based on who they think they can capture best.  This 50th political opening 6 weeks really gave them a lot to work with.  For awhile it seemed Like JAJ v Mikey, round 9. Funny and accurate, but nothing groundbreaking.  Now they really have a great recipe to work with.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Troast is a head scratcher. She was in a lot of sketches which often indicates she wrote them/Lorne liked them enough to put them in the show. 

Apparently, she was not asked back.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/tv/2024/09/10/snl-chloe-troast-exit-new-cast-members-season-50/75155755007/

2 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Yeah I read that. Not a hint of what happened. To my knowledge she’s the only female cast member that can sing which makes it even more confusing. 

On 9/10/2024 at 11:40 AM, RPM said:

Troast is a less funny Sarah Sherman. This wasn't her time/place.

On 9/10/2024 at 11:52 AM, Red Five said:

I don’t really see that at all, other than both being female. Sherman is pretty unique.

ETD_SHOWCLIP_C01%20SNL%20LADIES_040524_C

Not sure how many opposite/returned from the dead twin skits you could write, but...okay? Maybe you could put her in skits where you don't want Sarah to be funny? Oooh, she could run plays in on 2nd and short if Sarah is tired.

Edited by RPM