All things SNL

Dr. Teeth

Sushi Glory Hole was damn funny.  Most of the other skits, not so much IMO.  Weekend Update was a complete waste of time, with more than half of it featuring a really dumb skit with one of the new cast members.  I love Nate, but his last appearance was WAY better.

29 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Sabado Gigante resonated with me. the lol wtf everytime i saw it. Hot chicks, bumblebees, rapid espanol. Loved it

"Why was that guy dressed like Dracula?" 🤣

The actual Don Francisco commented on it on YouTube!

3 hours ago, Native Horn said:

Sushi Glory Hole was damn funny.  Most of the other skits, not so much IMO.  Weekend Update was a complete waste of time, with more than half of it featuring a really dumb skit with one of the new cast members.  I love Nate, but his last appearance was WAY better.

100%. He seemed way stiffer in this one. I'm sure the lackluster material played a part.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just saw the movie and really enjoyed it. There are no doubt some embellishments but also some great behind the scenes stuff I didn’t know about and I’m a big SNL nerd who had read and listened to a lot of SNL related stuff over the years. Great cast and frenetic pace too.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Stevie looks perfectly alright for 76 years old and she can still perform. Good for her. I’m glad she surprised us with that second song. 

that first song was powerful and apropos!

2 hours ago, Ttownguy said:

I’m surprised the Please Don’t Destroy sketches haven’t aired so far this season. Are those gone for good? I can’t imagine they would get rid of something that was so successful.

I kind of wonder if the bloom is off their rose? I liked their movie, but it didn’t do very well in theaters and the reviews were horrible. It had to lose money.

15 hours ago, Ttownguy said:

I’m surprised the Please Don’t Destroy sketches haven’t aired so far this season. Are those gone for good? I can’t imagine they would get rid of something that was so successful.

Ariana Grande is one of those vague names I know exist but I don’t know… the difference between that and Selena Gomez or half of the other I assume Disney factory outputs that are probably in their thirties but I never learned about.

anyways she can’t sing and i don’t think as an actor she could convince me that she is a human being.

Edited by Celery Man

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Ariana Grande is one of those vague names I know exist but I don’t know… the difference between that and Selena Gomez or half of the other I assume Disney factory outputs that are probably in their thirties but I never learned about.

anyways she can’t sing and i don’t think as an actor she could convince me that she is a human being.

I guess her music career is going well and again she’s starring in Wicked. Selena Gomez has climbed the backs of Steve Martin and Martin Short to give her career a second life, but she’s probably more famous right now. 

I wonder if they invited her back because she was a good sport about all the Pete Davidson jokes. Lorne has a long memory. 

4 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

The Brits are BIG mad in the replies!

Most of the comments are just about how terrible the accents are, and they were terrible. For some reason, all comedians default to a cockney accent when playing Brits.

For US context it's the equivalent of someone saying 'Howdy pardners, I'm from Texas' in a Bronx accent.

1 hour ago, rage-a-holic said:

Most of the comments are just about how terrible the accents are, and they were terrible. For some reason, all comedians default to a cockney accent when playing Brits.

In fairness, it's fun to slag off the brits by making em all sound like the biggest chavs around

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Not that it's saying a ton so far, but that was easily the best episode of the season. And I don't have a single clue where, or desire, to find Arianna Grande content elsewhere. Had a little too much of the "I'm a theater kid, so I'm going to make sure to show it off" to it, but still some pretty funny moments.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wait, what?  She has an astonishing amount of vocal talent.  Are you going off the skit where she intentionally sang off pitch as the bridesmaid?

I was. I guess that makes sense as a joke although it didn’t land as one for me.

16 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I was. I guess that makes sense as a joke although it didn’t land as one for me.

Yeah, the skit wasn't great.  That said, I would put her at or above Celine, Whitney, Christina in pure vocal ability.  Her pitch is astonishingly accurate, and she is a crazy good mimic.

It's too bad her music isn't very good.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/13/2024 at 3:50 PM, mdleast said:

Just saw the movie and really enjoyed it. There are no doubt some embellishments but also some great behind the scenes stuff I didn’t know about and I’m a big SNL nerd who had read and listened to a lot of SNL related stuff over the years. Great cast and frenetic pace too.

The movie was very entertaining and yeah I'm sure the embellished.  The cast was great and O'brien nailed Ackroyd...plus the same actor played BOTH Jim Henson(perfectly) and Andy Kaufman.

BTW the sheer talent and legendary people were there that night is obscene.  Even Milton Burle was around.  

On 10/13/2024 at 5:23 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Ariana Grande sucks. I said it when they announced her and she did nothing to refute that. 

Again, I get it right before Wicked comes out, but there is absolutely no reason to give her a hosting gig 6 weeks before the movie comes out. Especially in the coveted 50th Season. 

I mean even if you don't like HER the episode was easily the best of the season overall(even if i liked last weeks host more)

18 hours ago, mchookem said:

Ariana did look like skeletor and the skits were mostly meh but saying she 'can't sing' is quite a stretch lol. and i can't stand pop-diva style music.

Hell the one skit they did where she was at her best friends house and she missed all the signs that he was a serial killer was not only funny but a pretty catchy tune.

16 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wait, what?  She has an astonishing amount of vocal talent.  Are you going off the skit where she intentionally sang off pitch as the bridesmaid?

Yeah, it's extremely hard for a very talented singer to sing off key that bad.  She did as good as i'd expect.

14 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Not that it's saying a ton so far, but that was easily the best episode of the season. And I don't have a single clue where, or desire, to find Arianna Grande content elsewhere. Had a little too much of the "I'm a theater kid, so I'm going to make sure to show it off" to it, but still some pretty funny moments.

Agreed. It wasn't the funniest in a long time, but this season has been pretty good overall...the new talent is over the last couple season is really coming into their own IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1

Wickline looks extremely uncomfortable on camera. Maybe it's part of her schtick, but it's not a good look. Totally agree on Yang. I was never a big fan. Like him in some other non-SNL stuff, but this season he acts like he's a Top 3 cast member (you are obliged to cheer when he walks on) and he isn't even close.

Edited by RPM