Xavier Worthy - Chiefin'

Machinator

4 hours ago, Thatguy said:

You don't go broke from cars and jewelry. Hood dudes who just fell into some money just can't go buy the kind of cars that break the bank, and those chains are 30-100k.

he’s on a rookie contract.  the way these fucking idiots buy jewelry and cars it can quickly add up to a million dollars or more.  one nasty injury and his 5th-year option is declined and hopefully he has a good insurance policy.  and absolutely he’s broke shortly after.  he’s not getting 20MM, he’s getting less than 14 over four years which ends up being about 9.  if he gets the big 2nd contract, yeah, he’s probably fine.  lots of guys don’t.  and like you said, throw in the properties and the posse and he’s fucked without the 2nd contract.

if he’s a bust he ends up broke.  it’s not hard to end up broke if you played in the NFL.  as already stated, it happens often, and just because he’s good at football and was a longhorn doesn’t preclude him from being a dipshit.

12 hours ago, immamac said:

you guys are just jealous of X

no shit of course I’m fucking jealous of him.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, futureman said:

he’s on a rookie contract.  the way these fucking idiots buy jewelry and cars it can quickly add up to a million dollars or more.  one nasty injury and his 5th-year option is declined and hopefully he has a good insurance policy.  and absolutely he’s broke shortly after.  he’s not getting 20MM, he’s getting less than 14 over four years which ends up being about 9.  if he gets the big 2nd contract, yeah, he’s probably fine.  lots of guys don’t.  and like you said, throw in the properties and the posse and he’s fucked without the 2nd contract.

if he’s a bust he ends up broke.  it’s not hard to end up broke if you played in the NFL.  as already stated, it happens often, and just because he’s good at football and was a longhorn doesn’t preclude him from being a dipshit.

He’s right you know….   I think we have enough examples, Ricky, Vince, Earl Thomas, it’s obviously not that hard for some to make bad choices.  Just save 30% of everything you make clean and clear for a rainy day and after you stop playing, stop the lifestyle would be great advice for everyone. Everyone makes fun of Gronk for being stupid but he has never spent a single full nfl check he got.  He never built a unsellable mansion and only bought reasonable houses while playing football.  

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Taxes, agents, accountants- lawyers, family and friends, … it goes very quickly 

PGA guys have all of those things, and caddies. Do they go broke?  

mlb used to have a rep for former players going broke. 

Now that nba contracts are guaranteed, I think nfl has this issue the worst because of the short career length plus non-guaranteed contracts mean you could think you’ve got 10s of millions coming over the next few years and it all disappears for cap reasons. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Now that nba contracts are guaranteed, I think nfl has this issue the worst because of the short career length plus non-guaranteed contracts mean you could think you’ve got 10s of millions coming over the next few years and it all disappears for cap reasons. 

I’d bet the 100-150 ranked guys have a hard time keeping up but do they go broke after making millions?  No because they don’t get 10 million plus contracts….    They have to earn it every week or just spend money on traveling, totally different lifestyles.  Now baseball being guaranteed over the NFL crazy rookie contracts you’re locked into like Brock Purdy is locked into is crazy to me.  Purdy could Joe Theisman in an accident tomorrow and never get paid what he should have.  

Edited by Hook1997

46 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

I’d bet the 100-150 ranked guys have a hard time keeping up but do they go broke after making millions?  No because they don’t get 10 million plus contracts….    They have to earn it every week or just spend money on traveling, totally different lifestyles.  Now baseball being guaranteed over the NFL crazy rookie contracts you’re locked into like Brock Purdy is locked into is crazy to me.  Purdy could Joe Theisman in an accident tomorrow and never get paid what he should have.  

Well baseball you make Brock purdy money for your first 4 years. Teams have gotten comfortable recently buying some of those years and arb years in exchange for long contracts but that’s not the norm, and minor leaguers make nothing relatively. 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Well baseball you make Brock purdy money for your first 4 years. Teams have gotten comfortable recently buying some of those years and arb years in exchange for long contracts but that’s not the norm, and minor leaguers make nothing relatively. 

If Brock was a talented rookie star baseball player he would have signed a 100 million dollar contract already, exactly.   The rookie no change thing in the NFL seems a bit unfair to guys like him.  But his case is definitely not the norm either. 

Edited by Hook1997

baseball you gotta prove yourself at several levels of minor league ball.  there are a ton of baseball players who got drafted in early rounds and never made dick beyond their signing bonus.  baseball money can be stupid but it’s hard to get.

1 hour ago, Hook1997 said:

If Brock was a talented rookie star baseball player he would have signed a 100 million dollar contract already, exactly.

that’s not true at all.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Who gives a shit if they go broke? Got damn most were broke before. Enjoy that shit and all you fuckheads yapping about broke are broke jealous bitches anyway. 

These kids work their asses off for years to get where they are, and I’d like to see them build something viable for their long term future instead of pissing it away before they are no longer able to earn the big bucks. 
They can still party & have fun without being stupid.

6 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

These kids work their asses off for years to get where they are, and I’d like to see them build something viable for their long term future instead of pissing it away before they are no longer able to earn the big bucks. 
They can still party & have fun without being stupid.

In fairness he was raining 1s and not 100s.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

He’s right you know….   I think we have enough examples, Ricky, Vince, Earl Thomas, it’s obviously not that hard for some to make bad choices.  Just save 30% of everything you make clean and clear for a rainy day and after you stop playing, stop the lifestyle would be great advice for everyone. Everyone makes fun of Gronk for being stupid but he has never spent a single full nfl check he got.  He never built a unsellable mansion and only bought reasonable houses while playing football.  

Huh? Ricky is very far from broke. I doubt earl is either. 

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Bolero88 said:

Huh? Ricky is very far from broke. I doubt earl is either. 

Ricky was hurting till a few years ago, there was bankruptcy talk years ago.  Earl you’re right possibly, I just figured with the divorce and since he’s crazy and thought I saw something in the news about his finances a couple years ago.  

Edited by Hook1997

12 hours ago, ztejas said:

Uhhh yes you absolutely can. You'd be hard pressed to name two faster-depreciating assets than custom jewelry and brand-new niche sports cars.

11 hours ago, futureman said:

Maybe you guys don't know any former NFL guys but the ones i know that went broke did so because they had too many people with their hand out or asking them to bankroll some business they didnt know how to run or was a bad idea from the start. The only athletes I know that went broke behind cars and jewelry were people who were barely in the league in the first place. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Maybe you guys don't know any former NFL guys but the ones i know that went broke did so because they had too many people with their hand out or asking them to bankroll some business they didnt know how to run or was a bad idea from the start. The only athletes I know that went broke behind cars and jewelry were people who were barely in the league in the first place. 

I do know NFL guys, former and current.  You clearly don’t know very many.

12 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

the nfl business model is a stick and carrot for that 2nd contract. It works great for the nfl and owners 

with NIL blowing up, 98% of college will be taking a pay cut to go pro 

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

This is not true

if you’re a nfl 2nd round pick, you should be getting $1mil a year in nil money …..

In the second round, contracts start at $9.9million and drop to $6.3million. The third round goes from $6million to $5.5million, while the parameters for the fourth round are between $4.5million and $4.8million. 4 year contracts 

an unproven hs qb had nil offers if 9 and 13 mil. If a kid is good enough to be a 2nd pick, 2 to 3 mil nil is very believable 

51 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

if you’re a nfl 2nd round pick, you should be getting $1mil a year in nil money …..

In the second round, contracts start at $9.9million and drop to $6.3million. The third round goes from $6million to $5.5million, while the parameters for the fourth round are between $4.5million and $4.8million. 4 year contracts 

an unproven hs qb had nil offers if 9 and 13 mil. If a kid is good enough to be a 2nd pick, 2 to 3 mil nil is very believable 

You’re looking at the .01% of NIL earners and applying it to 98% if college football. Using Rashada, 1 player, at the very beginning of NIL for HS is also just a poor reasoning deduction. 

13 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You’re looking at the .01% of NIL earners and applying it to 98% if college football. Using Rashada, 1 player, at the very beginning of NIL for HS is also just a poor reasoning deduction. 

yes, I’m sure nil’s will only get smaller

Uhhh yes you absolutely can. You'd be hard pressed to name two faster-depreciating assets than custom jewelry and brand-new niche sports cars.
That contributes for sure, but it really kicks in after the playing days are over and they're still spending on stupid shit that is never worth what they paid for it new.

Who gives a shit if they go broke? Got damn most were broke before. Enjoy that shit and all you fuckheads yapping about broke are broke jealous bitches anyway. 

Immamac, get BlackLab on the phone. We need to surrender our position on the internet. Old white dudes cant share an opinion on something.

• 2 months later...
On 6/2/2024 at 1:44 PM, Eskimohorn said:

Immamac, get BlackLab on the phone. We need to surrender our position on the internet. Old white dudes cant share an opinion on something.

Nobody said you couldn’t share.  Just take the ribbing sans sauce.  

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I'm 100% drafting Worthy in my FF league. He'll be inconsistent, especially as a rookie, but there are going to be too many of these types of play given Worthy's speed and Mahomes' play extending scrambling ability.