House of the Dragon

crash_davis

Great start to the season.  Glad my Sunday TV queue is loading back up.

I had to google a family tree and dragon chart to refresh myself.  It's been awhile.

I still don't know which side I take...I know I should definitely be Team Rhaenyra, but I can't stand Daemon's face.

Go Starks.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Dameon and Aemond are two peas in an act out without worry if they're going to f everything up pod. I feel like we're going to be swayed from Team Black to Team Green back and forth with each move. 

Cregan Stark was great. I hope that's not the last we see of the North this season. 

The opening sequence was awesome. I would have been cool with a 1 episode detour in the North, but the focus should be on the Targ Civil War. It’s the completed, source material and what the Fat Man wanted to focus on “after” A Song of Ice and Fire and GOT. 

However, I think the fans are more interested in the North and the Starks than dragons. Hopefully some deleted scenes at the Wall or Winterfell find their way on to the internet. 

Posted (edited)
On 6/17/2024 at 6:23 AM, Haphap said:

The gruesomeness of the scene has to be dialed down was explained in this article

https://ew.com/blood-cheese-house-of-the-dragon-season-2-book-changes-explained-exclusive-8663564

i get some of the reasons why changes had to be made in the show production. and obv show writers are weaker than book author... but damn... george rr's verstion of the story just embarasses the tv rendition

The way Martin wrote it, the Dowager Queen Alicent Hightower (played by Olivia Cooke on House of the Dragon) is present and there are three of Helaena's children instead of two, all of which are awake and forced to bear witness. Blood kills the bedmaid and guard; Cheese threatens to rape Jaehaera when the queen takes too long to pick which of her children to kill; and when Helaena finally succumbs and chooses her youngest, 2-year-old Maelor, Blood beheads Jaehaerys instead, leaving Maelor with the knowledge that his mother wanted him dead.

Edited by 52-80

i also cant buy this excuse *at all*.  you're working on a mega-budget show with CGI dragons and have issues with practical filming and direction with child actors - whose detailed acting and expressions nobody pays close attention to?

animate it. use stand-in props for it. film it separate and splice it. a million different ways to get around "we cant have children in gory scenes", as if theres never been horror movies with kids in it.

The other challenges stemmed from the logistics of utilizing child actors. "We knew that we would be challenged to get performances out of children that young — as a person who has kids around these ages, I'm intimately familiar with all of that," Condal says. "Then there are things that you can and cannot expose children to on a movie set. If you were to try to perform a faithful rendering of that story, you'd be challenged from all angles in terms of getting a performance out of a child. A lot of times it seems like the kid is going through that, but you're using clever cutaways and insert shots."

• Hook 'Em 1

Production was great, actors killed it. It was sad when Rhaenyra was grieving, but they’ve poked the tiger now. The actor playing Aegon is killing it. Rhaenys would get it. 

Too bad Disney Star Wars can’t figure out how to do these production values, acting, and writing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, 52-80 said:

i get some of the reasons why changes had to be made in the show production. and obv show writers are weaker than book author... but damn... george rr's verstion of the story just embarasses the tv rendition

Hide contents

I don’t think a two year old is remembering  shit.

Ep 1 was fine and a nice setup. 

One thing this series really lacks is likable or intriguing characters.  I'm invested in this solely for the GOT universe.  There's no Jon Snow or Danny or Ned Stark or even a Jaime.  Hell, the Stark guy we saw for 5 minutes at the Wall was the most interesting character I remember.  I'd rather see a show about him.  

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Am I remembering incorrectly, but didn’t Qyburn in GOT claim to invent the scorpion dragon killing machine? They’re present in this series.

Yea but that fool also claimed to invent the Cobb salad.  

what we didn’t know his name was qyburn cobb?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Macklemore said:

Am I remembering incorrectly, but didn’t Qyburn in GOT claim to invent the scorpion dragon killing machine? They’re present in this series.

He read about them in a book

• Hook 'Em 1

On a side note, something that’s bugged me that I finally put my finger on:  this show has so many scenes in tight rooms, dim brown/yellow lighting, and narrow hallways that it doesn’t always suit ILM’s StageCraft system and I get flashbacks to playing Unreal Tournament.  

Obviously better than straight up endless green screen like Phantom Menace, but I feel like GoT had more shots on actual sets so while the backgrounds weren’t as complex they didn’t trigger Uncanny Valley-ish vibes.  

Works a lot better when outside or higher contrast primary colors like The Mandalorian.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m ambivalent about Otto the character, but the actor playing him is fantastic.

As expected, the dialogue in this show is excellent. My only complaint (beyond the few I discussed above) is pacing. There’s a lot of talking and stage setting without much in the way of plot advancement. I don’t mean action sequences or dragon bullshit, I mean moving the story forward. I guess it’s a consequence of GOT being one [censored] per season, while this is one [censored] for the whole show.

• Like 1

The twin thing could have come off as contrived and an easy plot device to assassinate the queen, but they handled it well by only playing that card once and playing it quickly. Pace seems fine to me: there has been a significant plot event every episode. And production does seem maybe a little cheaper than GOT but it’s still miles better than anything Disney+ is doing.

Still #teamblack. I thought Otto was going to tell Aegon that his kingship was a lie, but he doesn’t know that does he?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

The twin thing could have come off as contrived and an easy plot device to assassinate the queen, but they handled it well by only playing that card once and playing it quickly. Pace seems fine to me: there has been a significant plot event every episode. And production does seem maybe a little cheaper than GOT but it’s still miles better than anything Disney+ is doing.

Still #teamblack. I thought Otto was going to tell Aegon that his kingship was a lie, but he doesn’t know that does he?

https://y.yarn.co/f190bb8b-e770-4948-bb59-554431f8e684_text.gif

• Like 1

I’m ambivalent about Otto the character, but the actor playing him is fantastic.

As expected, the dialogue in this show is excellent. My only complaint (beyond the few I discussed above) is pacing. There’s a lot of talking and stage setting without much in the way of plot advancement. I don’t mean action sequences or dragon bullshit, I mean moving the story forward. I guess it’s a consequence of GOT being one [censored] per season, while this is one [censored] for the whole show.

Rhys Ifans, been around forever, was in Harry Potter.

9 hours ago, Homercles said:

On a side note, something that’s bugged me that I finally put my finger on:  this show has so many scenes in tight rooms, dim brown/yellow lighting, and narrow hallways that it doesn’t always suit ILM’s StageCraft system and I get flashbacks to playing Unreal Tournament.  

Obviously better than straight up endless green screen like Phantom Menace, but I feel like GoT had more shots on actual sets so while the backgrounds weren’t as complex they didn’t trigger Uncanny Valley-ish vibes.  

Works a lot better when outside or higher contrast primary colors like The Mandalorian.  

Think I'm repeating myself but the scope and breadth of the show is much smalller than GoT.  The pilot episode of GoT probably travels to more diverse and interesting places than the whole of the show so far. S1 we barely left the Red Keep. The world has opened up a bit more but still a lot of talking inside rooms. It does seem like a deliberate cost saving decision since GoT was expensive as shit to make.

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

image.gif.8a84717539fcba463d72af358e5d2520.gifHe also banged Sienna Miller. So, a good career. But yes he is fantastic as Hightower. I don’t like the character but couldn’t stand Tywin either. Both are fantastic actors. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Nole-4-Life said:
  Reveal hidden contents

So I've only seen the first episode, but weren't they supposed to behead the eyepatch dude and not some baby?

Yes. They were given no other instruction if he couldn’t be found. Daemon probably wouldn’t have been in favor of that, but he put forth 2 buffoons, so it’s on him. 

• Hook 'Em 1