House of the Dragon

crash_davis

2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

As expected, the dialogue in this show is excellent. My only complaint (beyond the few I discussed above) is pacing. There’s a lot of talking and stage setting without much in the way of plot advancement. I don’t mean action sequences or dragon bullshit, I mean moving the story forward. I guess it’s a consequence of GOT being one [censored] per season, while this is one [censored] for the whole show.

Agree - it’s all palace intrigue and little action. 

11 hours ago, Homercles said:

On a side note, something that’s bugged me that I finally put my finger on:  this show has so many scenes in tight rooms, dim brown/yellow lighting, and narrow hallways that it doesn’t always suit ILM’s StageCraft system and I get flashbacks to playing Unreal Tournament.  

In fairness they balance out those dim visuals with low mumbling audio, so you can't see or hear shit.

Can we talk about how shit security is?  In 20 minutes, the inner chambers of both royal houses were infiltrated with next to zero effort.

I did like how the former gold cloak gave up Daemon with zero torture applied.  Such loyalty!

31 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Yes. They were given no other instruction if he couldn’t be found. Daemon probably wouldn’t have been in favor of that, but he put forth 2 buffoons, so it’s on him. 

It was strongly implied that Daemon gave them instructions to get a son-for-a-son no matter what. 

27 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

It was strongly implied that Daemon gave them instructions to get a son-for-a-son no matter what. 

By Daemon?  I don’t recall that. He specifically mentioned Aemond. He may have used son for a son language, but that doesn’t mean go off script if you can’t find who I mentioned and kill a toddler. He himself is way too smart for that.  

Regardless, again, it’s on him. His incompetence led him to choose two incompetents. 

• Hook 'Em 1

IIRC they cut away when Daemon was giving the instructions, and one of the goons asked something about if they didn’t find Aemond.

Something like that, anyway. 

Last night others implied to Daemon that they figured he didn’t care or said take the next heir. Which of course he adamantly denied when talking with Rhy before he stormed off.

Do they have to keep killing off the cool characters that look like they would be good to see in battle (off a dragon).

My only complaint about HoD series is that is lacks the likeable charcaters / warriors.  Or even unlikeable ones.  Everyone is so young.  Aemond is all bones.

Missing a Jorah, Hound, Mountain, Drago, Oberyn, any Stark, Grey Worm, Bronn.  Daemon just isn't it. 

54 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

By Daemon?  I don’t recall that. He specifically mentioned Aemond. He may have used son for a son language, but that doesn’t mean go off script if you can’t find who I mentioned and kill a toddler. He himself is way too smart for that.  

Regardless, again, it’s on him. His incompetence led him to choose two incompetents. 

Daemon was pretty vague on purpose to those goons regarding a back up plan.  Big goon told rat catcher "you remember what he said...son for a son". Which implies is was said offscreen by Daemon.  By being vague he knew what the consequences could have been as in they may go off script....but it lets him deny responsibility.  He probably never thought that a small child would end up being an option though.  

1 minute ago, utxmike05 said:

Daemon was pretty vague on purpose to those goons regarding a back up plan.  Big goon told rat catcher "you remember what he said...son for a son". Which implies is was said offscreen by Daemon.  By being vague he knew what the consequences could have been as in they may go off script....but it lets him deny responsibility.  He probably never thought that a small child would end up being an option though.  

Yeah any way you slice it, he’s at fault. I’m just saying, I don’t think he thought that was a possibility, and don’t think he’s dumb enough to personally have done that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, utxmike05 said:

Do they have to keep killing off the cool characters that look like they would be good to see in battle (off a dragon).

My only complaint about HoD series is that is lacks the likeable charcaters / warriors.  Or even unlikeable ones.  Everyone is so young.  Aemond is all bones.

Missing a Jorah, Hound, Mountain, Drago, Oberyn, any Stark, Grey Worm, Bronn.  Daemon just isn't it. 

I haven’t read Fire And Blood, but I doubt this series will reach those highs. Those characters were fleshed out over thousands of pages by George in the novels. Fire And Blood is a history book. 

lol@fuckin grey worm tho. 

Edited by Dark Horse

33 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Best guess is just grief from killing his bro.

Yea a recap I watched said that in that era it was like the ultimate sin to kill your own kin.  Still a shitty way to end both of them.  Wish they ended up teaming up and fucking over the Greens.  Stupid Cole and his orders.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Dark Horse said:

I haven’t read Fire And Blood, but I doubt this series will reach those highs. Those characters were fleshed out over thousands of pages by George in the novels. Fire And Blood is a history book.

I think this is an important point to remember when people complain about inconsistencies between the book and the show, for example the level of brutality of Blood & Cheese. The brutality described in the book is coming from a history text written by a single maester, entirely based on secondhand information provided by the Hightowers and almost certainly greatly exaggerated in order to portray Rhaenyra in the most negative light possible.

Basically, the book is an unreliable narrative and the show is trying to portray how things really went down. At least that's my interpretation.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Hard to take Aegon seriously because he looks like a high school sophomore at oldest. Joffey was a literal boy-king with a temper but is Aegon supposed to be a full grown adult or what

I’m guessing his character is somewhere around 19-22.

I think Aegon is a lot like Joffrey in many ways, but not in that psychopath cruelty way.

Now Aemond is as bad, or worse, in the underlying, don’t give a shit, violent psychopath way.