House of the Dragon

crash_davis

5 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

What's the knock on Cole?  Is it because he was a bitch boy about being Rhyneera's plaything, but is now perfectly content being a boytoy for mrs green?  Or people just don't like the actor?  Maybe I forgotten something (entirely possible).  

This season alone? Sent the twin who was all about honoring his duty on a suicide mission Cole knew wouldn't work to cover for his own failings because he was boning Alicent instead of keeping watch. And yes, in general for being a massive bitch boy last season who had the laughable strategy to whisk Rhaenyra off to the other side of the world because he broke his vow only to continually break them over and over. Then he becomes the biggest bitch defender of the Greens. 

• Hook 'Em 5

9 minutes ago, Vegas64 said:

I thought the witch and Daemon's scenes were very confusing as an illiteratti. He drank something to help him sleep and then fast forward to the middle of a meeting with a vassal lord. say whaaaaat

Did a rewatch late last night when I couldn't fall asleep. In one of the scenes where Daemon is wandering around Harrenhall, he's alone but hears a woman's voice that sounds almost exactly like Melissandre (the red witch from GoT). I'm not saying Alys is her, but if it wasn't clear already, something's up with that woman and her potions.

Also, what the fuck was up with that black goat? Was it...I dunno...SATAN?!?

Spoiler

image.png.c18005937b981931db481bec3d7a7c5d.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, mdmost said:

This season alone? Sent the twin who was all about honoring his duty on a suicide mission Cole knew wouldn't work to cover for his own failings because he was boning Alicent instead of keeping watch. And yes, in general for being a massive bitch boy last season who had the laughable strategy to whisk Rhaenyra off to the other side of the world because he broke his vow only to continually break them over and over. Then he becomes the biggest bitch defender of the Greens. 

“A child died because I was getting my dick wet but YOUR CLOAK IS DIRTY”

• Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

What's the knock on Cole?  Is it because he was a bitch boy about being Rhyneera's plaything, but is now perfectly content being a boytoy for mrs green?  Or people just don't like the actor?  Maybe I forgotten something (entirely possible).  

37 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Brutally killed a gay dude in season 1.  

31 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Being a petty bitch because Rhaenyra thought he was too poor to run away with and sell oranges 16 years ago is part of it. They had sex once and he gets mad because she doesn’t betray her father and abandon her birthright. Incel shit. 

29 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I guess I was never bothered by all this as much as others were . . . I never really cared about Cole one way or the other.  These transgressions seem par for the course in Westeros.  I mean Daemon very likely signed off on or ordered baby beheading, and he seems to still be viewed as a "goodish" guy. 

Even Tyrion is hardly noble. He put goatshit in a relative's boot and blamed a squire who was nearly beaten to death. He jerked off in the turtle soup and hoped his sister ate it.  It's a rough world in the GOT universe.  

True but we all know Daemon's going out in a blaze of glory. I don't think anyone thinks he's a "good guy". He's a great character. I won't be sad when he goes because I'm hoping he takes Aemond with him. Plus Daemon ordered explicitly for them to kill Aemond but I doubt it bothered him at all that a son for a son was taken. He, like Aemond, wants to provoke the other to fight. 

Regardless, we know this won't end happy. This is Game of Thrones. 

None of the characters are good. GRRM has said himself they’re all gray. This debate is ‘garded, but it’s not isolated to Surly.

It’s gotten so heated on Reddit that they created 2 sub. r/hotdgreens and r/hotdblacks. Just insane that these people can’t discuss the series in 1 sub. Again, GRRM didn’t intend for us to pick sides because all of the characters are extremely flawed.

Even our beloved Starks did some very fucked up shit in their ancient past. 

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

None of the characters are good. GRRM has said himself they’re all gray. This debate is ‘garded, but it’s not isolated to Surly.

It’s gotten so heated on Reddit that they created 2 sub. r/hotdgreens and r/hotdblacks. Just insane that these people can’t discuss the series in 1 sub. Again, GRRM didn’t intend for us to pick sides because all of the characters are extremely flawed.

But yet I find myself easily saddling up to team black

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

After last episode where Alicent was like “oops I fucked up with that story but we’re gonna have the war anyway lol” I’m pretty solidly team Rhaenyra. She attempted a peaceful resolution. But yes both sides have bad people. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

When I read the book, I was staunchly Team Green. But after watching the show and witnessing the Hightower scheming, I’m Team Black.

The Targs let the wrong family in, and it lead to civil war that destroyed their kingdom. 

Also, it’s a good practice to side with whatever side the Starks are on. 

• Fuck You 1

51 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

After last episode where Alicent was like “oops I fucked up with that story but we’re gonna have the war anyway lol” I’m pretty solidly team Rhaenyra. She attempted a peaceful resolution. But yes both sides have bad people. 

I thought the two lines that were super powerful this episode was:

"I inherited 80 years of peace, I had to sue for peace blah blah blah to be sure, etc, but those who have misread my caution for weakness, it will be their undoing."

and

"People will die, tons of blood will flood our streets, dragons and fire and body parts, and someone will sit on the throne-- the actual intentions of the King died with him."

• Hook 'Em 1

For all the bitching I have done about this show, I will say the dialogue has been excellent.  I'm not a book reader, so I don't know if the writers are just lifting from the fat man or if they are doing heavy lifting on their own, but bravo.  

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

For all the bitching I have done about this show, I will say the dialogue has been excellent.  I'm not a book reader, so I don't know if the writers are just lifting from the fat man or if they are doing heavy lifting on their own, but bravo.  

That was definitely true for GoT but don’t think there is any dialogue in Fire and Blood. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This show lacks good shit talkers like the Hound, Bronn, or Tyrion. Those guys could made mundane scenes entertaining with their banter.

Daemon is a little intriguing but he lacks personality.

We all know that the Song of Fire and Ice was about Jon Snow and they already stated this is about something else. HoD is somewhat reminiscent of a period piece about Edward IV, it's important to history but insignificant since House Tudor will win the throne. Sure blood lines will be established but who cares since we already know it's going end weird.

5 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

I guess I was never bothered by all this as much as others were . . . I never really cared about Cole one way or the other.  These transgressions seem par for the course in Westeros.  I mean Daemon very likely signed off on or ordered baby beheading, and he seems to still be viewed as a "goodish" guy. 

Even Tyrion is hardly noble. He put goatshit in a relative's boot and blamed a squire who was nearly beaten to death. He jerked off in the turtle soup and hoped his sister ate it.  It's a rough world in the GOT universe.  

Yeah. The righteous indignation by the group here is fucking hilarious. I like Cole just fine. He gets ass, and is about to murder Ali’s brother’s bitch ass. 

5 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Probably the worst part of the show except for inconspicuous, yet huge, dragons. If I were Alicent I would’ve had her captured. The fact that she didn’t capitulate and rebuffed Rhaenyra’s peace offering was obvious, and her inner struggle with it was contrived. Whatever Viserys wanted is totally irrelevant at this point. War is the only answer. Alicent should’ve had her killed on the spot. The entire scene was idiotic. 

The dragon fight was fun to watch but it was entirely predictable that Aemond and Vhagar would be waiting for Rhaenys and Meleys, and I think that’s a little bit problematic from a storytelling standpoint. At some point, the power of Vhagar needs to be ineffective or vulnerable to attack, otherwise that gets monotonous as a viewer.

I was pretty sure Rhaenys would die from the moment she volunteered to go, which sucks because we just lost one of the few likable characters. The show doesn’t have much depth in that department.

2 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

Yeah. The righteous indignation by the group here is fucking hilarious. I like Cole just fine. He gets ass, and is about to murder Ali’s brother’s bitch ass. 

Add Rex liking him to the list of reasons to dislike Cole @bschoolprof

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 6

I had no idea pretty boy Cole engendered so much animus, here and across the intertubes. 

Regardless, it’s nice to be watching a show that’s generating some actual discussion, like the early days of GOT. It’s been a while since I actually gave a shit about a TV show. Team Black for me (I guess). 

1 hour ago, Hank_Hill said:

Add Rex liking him to the list of reasons to dislike Cole @bschoolprof

Ha. He’s not been my favorite character, but he doesn’t inspire hatred like Joffrey or Dany’s brother. He’s been portrayed as a brute that in tandem with Aemond, has some strategic chops. Hes been a cunt like pretty much everyone on this show at times. His death won’t register the satisfied reaction that Aegon’s will, or even Alicent’s twat brother. 

12 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

They're trying too hard to make a boring character interesting. The show wants him to be their Jamie Lannister or something. The insecure conflicted white knight schtick is played out.

11 hours ago, F250 said:

This show lacks good shit talkers like the Hound, Bronn, or Tyrion. Those guys could made mundane scenes entertaining with their banter.

Daemon is a little intriguing but he lacks personality.

We all know that the Song of Fire and Ice was about Jon Snow and they already stated this is about something else. HoD is somewhat reminiscent of a period piece about Edward IV, it's important to history but insignificant since House Tudor will win the throne. Sure blood lines will be established but who cares since we already know it's going end weird.

I generally agree with all this except you don’t think Daemon has a personality?! He might not have a personality you like, but he’s absolutely got one in that he’s rebellious and defiant and moody and brooding and chip on his shoulder, who seems to enjoy war. If anyone didn’t have a personality it was his brother.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/8/2024 at 6:14 AM, Buzzrock said:

I’m just guessing regarding Aemond. The general rule in shows and movies is that if they don’t show the character die then they aren’t dead.

And yeah, Joffrey got it pretty bad in GoT. I see Aemond is the new (more fun) Joffrey in this show. I actually hope he survived, the actor playing him is doing a great job.

Rhaenys / Meleys getting chomped was telegraphed pretty heavily, but it was still a fun episode. RIP the Queen who never was.

Ok, you're clearly talking about Aegon, not Aemond here. I understand why people get confused, I guess.

• Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Decided to watch a bit of OG GoT last night. 

This is some dumbass shit comparatively.

There have been some terrible spinoffs, but this isn't the worst.

You may want to avoid certain scenes in GOT that contain spoilers for this show.  I won't provide any details obviously other than the scenes in question:

Spoiler

--When Sansa is in KL, perhaps in the throne room or somewhere similar, Goeffrey gives a major spoiler as to what happens to some main characters

--I've also heard that Shereen reveals some spoilers to Davos in some of their conversations.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brian Fantana said:

Ok, you're clearly talking about Aegon, not Aemond here. I understand why people get confused, I guess.

Yeah sorry, fuck these names. 

Aemond had his sword out when Cole showed up and quickly put it away. Presumably he was going to finish off Aegon if needed. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

aegon definitely survived. just gonna be in traction for a while.

i think i see where this is all headed despite not having read any of the books but the amusing thing to me about that episode was the fact that there are ravens all over westeros telling people that someone took a dump or that someone had a bad day or whatever...but no one took notice at all on the intel side of things of the apparently largest, most badass dragon on the planet relocated from kings landing to a forest outside of a black holdout castle? springing an ambush camouflaged in a forest when you are a city sized dragon seems like a big leap...particularly when there are other dragons flying above. in the same vein, the notion that said dragon could effectively hide unseen behind a castle mid-dogfight in order to snatch another significantly sized dragon is stupid. i understand they have created a world in which resolving these dragon fights is a challenge but that was idiotic, as was having the other dragon fly at ground level whilst in a fight with the known bully.

since this is all so obviously headed towards a fight between aegon and daemon mounted on their dragons, in the lore of dragon supremacy, how does daemon's dragon measure up to vhagar?

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, sidis said:

since this is all so obviously headed towards a fight between aegon and daemon mounted on their dragons, in the lore of dragon supremacy, how does daemon's dragon measure up to vhagar?

*Aemond.  Aegon's dragon burst into flames when it hit the ground.

Keep up.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, sidis said:

aegon definitely survived. just gonna be in traction for a while.

i think i see where this is all headed despite not having read any of the books but the amusing thing to me about that episode was the fact that there are ravens all over westeros telling people that someone took a dump or that someone had a bad day or whatever...but no one took notice at all on the intel side of things of the apparently largest, most badass dragon on the planet relocated from kings landing to a forest outside of a black holdout castle? springing an ambush camouflaged in a forest when you are a city sized dragon seems like a big leap...particularly when there are other dragons flying above. in the same vein, the notion that said dragon could effectively hide unseen behind a castle mid-dogfight in order to snatch another significantly sized dragon is stupid. i understand they have created a world in which resolving these dragon fights is a challenge but that was idiotic, as was having the other dragon fly at ground level whilst in a fight with the known bully.

If he flew out at night, no one would know where he was going or even that he had left.

40 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

*Aemond.  Aegon's dragon burst into flames when it hit the ground.

Keep up.

indeed...and i love some pointless pedantry as much as anyone. critical clarification. thanks.

though i am confident that sunfyre is not done in this story.

so what's up with daemon's dragon against vhagar?

38 minutes ago, kevwun said:

If he flew out at night, no one would know where he was going or even that he had left.

mmkay. seems like a stretch but whatever. i suppose it's almost plausible that no one around rook's rest would have ever noticed this giant fucking aircraft carrier of a dragon rolling into town.

1 hour ago, sidis said:

bookfaggy, but no spoilers. 

image.thumb.png.bc953db4087e97e9ff816eb2601247ba.png

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

apparently everyone in King's Landing goes to bed at sundown and no one can see anything at night.

14 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

bookfaggy, but no spoilers. 

image.thumb.png.bc953db4087e97e9ff816eb2601247ba.png

I'm not a book reader, but I know from reading random shit that Vermithor is not much smaller than Vhagar, and has already been shown in this show. I wonder if that's who ultimately takes out Vhagar.