House of the Dragon

crash_davis

3 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

I’ve wondered the same thing. Asked the wife the same question when they headed to the front. “Why aren’t they taking a tunnel?”

Why evacuate at all?  Did anyone else get the impression that leaving was safer than hunkering down in the castle? Angry mob looked like 50 people tops.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Why evacuate at all?  Did anyone else get the impression that leaving was safer than hunkering down in the castle? Angry mob looked like 50 people tops.

It was the Sept of Baelor (sp?), and nothing bad ever happens there.  

• Haha 3

I have a fucking huge ass castle with hundreds of soldiers. I’m gonna leave abandoning my burned and broken king-son. Are we sure it’s not Issa Lopez from the last True Detective running this shitshow?
  • Haha 2

So up until this point, it had never occurred to Rhaenyra that "non-Targaryens with questionable lineage" could potentially be dragon riders. They find one of those dudes, and he gets torched by Seasmoke. Then Seasmoke goes out for a casual post-torch flight only to decide that he was going to select his own dragon rider. And he does this coincidentally just after Rhaenyra determined that this was a possibility? Why didn't this happen before with any other unclaimed dragon? What a fucking coincidence. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

They Why didn't this happen before with any other unclaimed dragon? What a fucking coincidence. 

Didn’t have to.  Why did we have a draft during Vietnam and not one now.  The straits are dire.  I thought the show explained that pretty clearly

7 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Didn’t have to.  Why did we have a draft during Vietnam and not one now.  The straits are dire.  I thought the show explained that pretty clearly

How would the dragon know the straits are dire? Is the dragon fluent in human language and people explained that "Hey Seasmoke. Times are tough. We're gonna need to pair you up". (and he was like, 'I get it, but lemme just torch your first choice before I go pick this black dude'). A dragon selecting its own non-Targaryen rider has never happened before. It's unprecedented, as we're lead to believe. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

How would the dragon know the straits are dire? Is the dragon fluent in human language and people explained that "Hey Seasmoke. Times are tough. We're gonna need to pair you up". (and he was like, 'I get it, but lemme just torch your first choice before I go pick this black dude'). A dragon selecting its own non-Targaryen rider has never happened before. It's unprecedented, as we're lead to believe. 

He was circling him in episode 2 I think 

10 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

He was circling him in episode 2 I think 

Which is fucking ludicrous. Dragons have never sought out and self-selected non-Targaryens for their riders. Rhaenyra thought to match her unaffiliated dragons with non-Targaryen riders last week. They tried it with one guy and it didn't work. Then, immediately after, the dragon decides "Fuck that. I'm just gonna go pick someone" despite the fact that it's never happened before? It's absurd. 

1 minute ago, irishtexan said:

Which is fucking ludicrous. Dragons have never sought out and self-selected non-Targaryens for their riders. Rhaenyra thought to match her unaffiliated dragons with non-Targaryen riders last week. They tried it with one guy and it didn't work. Then, immediately after, the dragon decides "Fuck that. I'm just gonna go pick someone" despite the fact that it's never happened before? It's absurd. 

I’m not an expert on dragons never met one in real life.  However I think they’re beyond your run of the mill pit bulls and tabby cats. So when you say x,y and z are absurd, maybe for animals we possess but not dragons.  Tyrion said dragons were more j reliant than humans.  Not a high bar but still

Velaryons have ridden dragons though and he is a Velayron.  The selection thing is new but WHO FUCKING CARES it's a show about dragons and wizards and weird shit.

I guess we have different measures of ludicrous.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I mean, dragons are pretty absurd, so I'm not sure what you are so worked up over. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, huge said:

Velaryons have ridden dragons though and he is a Velayron.  The selection thing is new but WHO FUCKING CARES it's a show about dragons and wizards and weird shit.

I guess we have different measures of ludicrous.

Yea I mean this is a show where a solid 8.5 “Melisandre” can turn into the ugly lady from something about Mary in a heartbeat.  Magic

2 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

They weren’t at the castle, they were in the Sept.

But, agree on why evacuate. Or at least why out the front fucking door and into the mob.

Tunnels, how do they work? Surely their guard knew of them.

And

6 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

They weren’t at the castle, they were in the Sept.

But, agree on why evacuate. Or at least why out the front fucking door and into the mob.

Tunnels, how do they work? Surely their guard knew of them.

And it seemed that they parked the getaway wagon about 10 blocks away.

• Haha 1

This show is like watching paint dry so admittedly my attention drifts and I probably miss or forget details, but why is the idea that a half-Targ can ride a dragon suddenly a thing? Rhaenyra’s own 2 sons are only half-Targ and they ride dragons, so surely she would’ve known this a long time ago. What am I missing?

Daemon’s story is awful. Let’s spend an entire season roaming around Harrenhal, having nightmares about your family, doing nothing productive, feeling sorry for yourself while your sister struggles to fight a war without you, and then I’m sure they will expect viewers to still think he is a badass who is of critical importance to winning.

I’m tired of watching hour long episodes of talking about the same things. I think ChatGPT could easily churn out this repetitive script.

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Daemon’s story is awful. Let’s spend an entire season roaming around Harrenhal, having nightmares about your family, doing nothing productive, feeling sorry for yourself while your sister struggles to fight a war without you, and then I’m sure they will expect viewers to still think he is a badass who is of critical importance to winning.

I’m tired of watching hour long episodes of talking about the same things. I think ChatGPT could easily churn out this repetitive script.

Can't stand it either.  Like we get the point, he is forced to reflect on all his mistakes.  This could have been done in 1-1.5 episodes.

EP 6 was 73 mins - I was excited going in thinking it would be great...wrong.

Ep 7 is 67 mins

EP 8 is 73 mins

At this point I think the finale last few minutes will be all the new dragon riders mounting up and flying off / fade to black.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, wild_turkey said:

This show is like watching paint dry so admittedly my attention drifts and I probably miss or forget details, but why is the idea that a half-Targ can ride a dragon suddenly a thing? Rhaenyra’s own 2 sons are only half-Targ and they ride dragons, so surely she would’ve known this a long time ago. What am I missing?

I actually don't mind Daemon being flummoxed and taken down a peg this season and struggling with a bunch of inferior house Lords and a castle that's falling apart and dealing with the witch who is obviously manipulating him to some degree. I think it's an interesting use of his character because, frankly, I thought his character as this impetuous and impulsive loose cannon great warrior was contrived and stupid and is a worse option.

Edited by Vegas64
  • Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, mdmost said:

I get the feeling the show is trying to show just how bad the King's Guard has become since Cole was made Hand and now leading the army. 

The king's guard is shit because Aegon appointed a bunch of his nepo baby friends to it, only thing Cole has done is send one legit knight to his death to cover his own ass.

I actually don't mind Daemon being flummoxed and taken down a peg this season and struggling with a bunch of inferior house Lords and a castle that's falling apart and dealing with the witch who is obviously manipulating him to some degree. I think it's an interesting use of his character because, frankly, I thought his character as this impetuous and impulsive loose cannon great warrior was contrived and stupid and is a worse option.

That could all been accomplished in a couple of scenes. Instead he’s stuck in an Emily Brontë novel wallowing in his angst and mother love.

The whole show is a contrived ball of shit with a low budget and shitty writers.
  • Hook 'Em 1

HBO caught lightning in a bottle with Seasons 1-4 of GOT.  Not so much since then. This would be better as a 2-3 season show, but Max wants to milk this IP for all it can.  Not a wise long-run strategy, but there's nothing long-run about that company now.    

4 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I think they were looking a people with a much smaller percentage of Targ in their blood - the guy that got burnt up was Targ somewhere on his great-grandmother's side or something.  

Bastards and half-siblings will be riding the dragons I suspect.  Milli Vanilli is apparently a half Velaryon bastard.  Half-brother at the bar will probably end up on a dragon as well as some point.  These are my guesses, I didn't read any of the books.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I think they were looking a people with a much smaller percentage of Targ in their blood - the guy that got burnt up was Targ somewhere on his great-grandmother's side or something.  

Bastards and half-siblings will be riding the dragons I suspect.  Milli Vanilli is apparently a half Velaryon bastard.  Half-brother at the bar will probably end up on a dragon as well as some point.  These are my guesses, I didn't read any of the books.

IMG_1456.gif

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I think a lot of you are forgetting that non-nobles are basically viewed as a lower species of human. This is why she's only looking at noble houses for riders. A lowborn rider challenges the entire system. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, seven said:

I think a lot of you are forgetting that non-nobles are basically viewed as a lower species of human. This is why she's only looking at noble houses for riders. A lowborn rider challenges the entire system. 

They're also less flame retardant.

Daemon’s Harrenhal scenes remind me of those Sopranos episodes when Tony’s in a coma and having all those trippy Freudian dreams. Don’t remember exactly but I think those episodes might’ve been pretty divisive among fans at the time too.

Posted (edited)

This was a great episode to watch with headphones. The Vermithor scene had some Jurassic Park vibes. 

The scene with Daemon and young Tully was some old school GoT shit. 

Edited by Buzzrock
  • Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Maybe I missed something the last episode but do wild dragons just fly around with saddles? Why did Seasmoke have a saddle?

Seasmoke was not wild.  That was Laenor’s bonded dragon.  When Laenor “died”, Seasmoke was still in the dragon pit on Dragonstone.  The dragon keepers had him prepped with a saddle to be claimed by Steffon Darklyn before Seasmoke bbq’d him and noped out.  

• Like 1

What did Ms. Randolph connect with in this episode for her to state it was 1 of the best episodes of the franchise? She has 938k subscribers on YouTube, so she appears to be a recapper that people take seriously. 

Female empowerment perhaps? Rhaenyra finally grabs the wheel and takes control of her faction. The cliff scene with 3 dragons was certainly cool, but this episode wouldn’t make most people’s top 25 lists for the franchise. It’s not even the best episode of the season. 

Oh well, I won’t dwell on a dumb tweet. Good episode. Everything worked. I wish we had more time for Hammer and Ulf’s backstories, but we mostly get it from their limited scenes. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)

ok... i am a horrible person...

I laughed at the mobile people BBQ.

let the pawns free, and whoever gets to the back-row.... alive and unburnt.... will turn into any piece they wanna be.

and poof... 40 ded. 2 white mofos, like fuck it, i dont want to be a rook, or bishop, King or Queen, I wanna be a fucking dragon-rider MFer....

and since they got to the back row, those pawns became dragon-riders

edited to add that I realize they werent just 2 rando white dudes. they had been focused on several times over multiple episodes and yes, whoever pointed out that dude claiming to be a Targ bastard being an eventual rider was correct. 

Edited by AUS-97HORN