BLOW THAT FUCKING HORN - COMMODORES TAKE DOWN #1 ALABAMA AT HOME ×

House of the Dragon

crash_davis

41 minutes ago, mrhorn said:

As many times as I’ve rewatched GoT, you couldn’t pay me to watch that season again. Get your shit together.

This. A friend text me “omg can’t wait to watch the finale again..gonna watch tmrw”. I replied “why?”

I knew by season 1 it will never be GoT level characters and story, but I kept hoping it would step up.

They often deny us battles and when they have them they are usually offscreen. I’m still pissed last season Daemon fought the crab king guy in a cave off screen. Bs. 

3 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

I appreciate the breakdown but Mysaria doesn’t hold a candle to Varys. He was witty with a great back story. Mysaria is just a whore who shares secrets. Never said one thing witty or funny, just relays information.

She's obviously not Varys, but I feel like you're letting recency bias creep in because she hasn't done anything but yap at Rhaenyra this season. She was great in S1, not a dull scene where she was involved. S2 is nothing but dull scenes for her. A real waste of potential.

I was enjoying the first half of the episode. But, the second half left me wanting. Quite anticlimactic, though it did set some things up.

Daemon’s move (or lack there of) did surprise me, but story-wise it was probably the least compelling decision he could make. Did I imagine or misread something significant between Helena and Daemon from his vision?

Rhaena looking for the dragon added nothing since we all knew where it was going. Doesn’t help that I had to look up her character name.

The lippy new dragon rider provided tension that I assume will go somewhere eventually but I was expecting more to happen here.

The visions of GoT “winter is coming” imagery, Daenarys, etc., are cool and all, but feel contrived to me.

I will say that production value and performances are excellent. Really hope they deliver the next season more quickly than this one.

2 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

Daemon’s move (or lack there of) did surprise me, but story-wise it was probably the least compelling decision he could make. Did I imagine or misread something significant between Helena and Daemon from his vision?

The visions of GoT “winter is coming” imagery, Daenarys, etc., are cool and all, but feel contrived to me.

Alys Rivers showed Daemon the Song of Ice and Fire, it's the basis for the whole GoT universe and the same vision that led to House Targaryen leaving Old Valyria and Aegon's Conquest, and the same story that Viserys told to Rhaenyra.

If you're talking about Aemond and Helaena and not Daemon....I'm not sure what you're talking about tbh.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Ulf could be a source of comedy, but of course they delivered 2 humorless scenes. A couple biting comebacks would have helped immensely. But the show is more concerned with dragon fights and setting up dragon fights than producing a well rounded show. 

They left a lot of comedic meat on the bone in the Lannister Essos scenes as well.

I totally agree. I haven't bothered to look up who the writers are for this show, but it just may well be emblematic of the type of writers they are. GRR Martin is a novelist who has to use original words through the multiple voices of characters on paper to draw a reader in, whereas screenwriters maybe tend to lazily lean on Hollywood tropes, visualizations, or whatever to win over audiences when they don't have a really good author's actual material to work with.

It's just a theory, and I honestly don't know what I'm talking about since I have 0.00% experience in the TV/movie-making industry.

Edited by bolverk
edited for double posting

31 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Alys Rivers showed Daemon the Song of Ice and Fire, it's the basis for the whole GoT universe and the same vision that led to House Targaryen leaving Old Valyria and Aegon's Conquest, and the same story that Viserys told to Rhaenyra.

If you're talking about Aemond and Helaena and not Daemon....I'm not sure what you're talking about tbh.

Yeah I remember Viserys learning and passing it down last season. I guess the issue is my own skepticism that the knowledge of this prophecy will significantly affect anything in this show, since we know the ultimate outcome in GoT. It’s kinda the classic problem with prequels. (TBF it did influence Daemon here and Viserys previously)

I meant when Helena appeared and spoke at the end of Daemon’s vision. Then it transitioned directly to the scene with her and Aemond.

It initially stuck out to me since I don’t remember she and Daemon interacting before. But I wasn’t thinking about her ability for foresight.

• Like 1

Who's dumber: mom for giving daughter this name; or govt employee for thinking civilians cant adopt a trademarked name

A woman was left "devastated" after her daughter's passport application was rejected because she was named after a Game of Thrones character.

Lucy, 39, from Swindon in Wiltshire, said the Passport Office initially refused the application for Khaleesi, six.

Officials said they were unable to issue a passport unless Warner Brothers gave permission because it owned the name's trademark. But the authority has since apologised for the error.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c4ng1xd06xwo

• Haha 1

HBO and showrunners- "we're setting the table for season 3. All the players are now on the board"

Fuck off. 2 more years before we actually see a battle. The only good part was Helaena and the godswood. 

• Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

So underwhelming, seems like they just cut off the last two episodes to get it to 8. 

Yeah, it definitely feels like episode 8 of a 10 episode season. Seems like it was setting the table for a big battle in Episode 9, and then setting up the board for the next season in Episode 10. Was this shortened due to the strikes?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Dialog-driven shows don’t bother me…hell my all time favorite is The Wire and love shows like Shrinking.  
But damn this show needs a Tyrion, a Bronn, a Bunk or even a Paulie Walnuts…someone with serious business and integral to the plot, but serving as comic relief that you root for.  

This would be genius. Paulie Walnuts and Daemon in the Pine Barrens. “Tone you won’t believe this…I rode a fuckin dragon!”

26 minutes ago, Texzilla588 said:

This would be genius. Paulie Walnuts and Daemon in the Pine Barrens. “Tone you won’t believe this…I rode a fuckin dragon!”

"You're not going to believe this. He killed 16 Targaryens. The guy was an interior decorator."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, hornian said:

Yeah, it definitely feels like episode 8 of a 10 episode season. Seems like it was setting the table for a big battle in Episode 9, and then setting up the board for the next season in Episode 10. Was this shortened due to the strikes?

No, shortened due to budget cuts. 

2 hours ago, hornian said:

They have 1 book of source material and are trying to get 3-4 seasons out of it.  It leads to boring, shitty tv.  GoT was one book per season in comparison.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Homercles said:

Dialog-driven shows don’t bother me…hell my all time favorite is The Wire and love shows like Shrinking.  

But damn this show needs a Tyrion, a Bronn, a Bunk or even a Paulie Walnuts…someone with serious business and integral to the plot, but serving as comic relief that you root for.  

I actually liked the dialogue a lot this season. There are multiple scenes, usually at least one a week, that is downright Shakespearean in my opinion. 

• Hook 'Em 3

14 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

She's obviously not Varys, but I feel like you're letting recency bias creep in because she hasn't done anything but yap at Rhaenyra this season. She was great in S1, not a dull scene where she was involved. S2 is nothing but dull scenes for her. A real waste of potential.

They could have at least given us some more fun between her and Rhaenyra if we weren't going to get anything else interesting in this finale.  

• Drool 1

Those Sara Hess interviews are brutal. I guess boring people can write funny sometimes? She worked on Deadwood. Good uses of humor, especially one-liners. 

She also worked on House. Not my cup of tea, but had some memorable one-liners. 

Maybe it’ll get better. Maybe she’ll get some help. I’m sure they’ll take 2 years to produce it, so there’s time. 

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

No love for new character Lohar? The actress also played one of the goofy space witches in The Acolyte. 

Shhhhhh, dont certain people go looking her up.  Another thing to get hung up on.

Edited by huge
  • Haha 1

remember when i got yelled out of this thread for making posts that many of you are now yourselves posting word for word? derka remembers.

this show is not good, and none of the characters are worth rooting for or against. totally uninteresting build up to nothing. i can’t imagine why anyone would tune in for a season three two years from now. just scrap it and start a new series.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Ive enjoyed the show, but I do wish I had the chance just to binge all 3 seasons, vs watching week to week over 5+ years.

professor farnsworth futurama GIF

just gotta wait until 2026

3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

No love for new character Lohar? The actress also played one of the goofy space witches in The Acolyte. 

Honestly found her scenes unbearable.  I don't know if she can't act or if the script was bad, but I did not believe for one second that she was some badass Admiral.

6 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Honestly found her scenes unbearable.  I don't know if she can't act or if the script was bad, but I did not believe for one second that she was some badass Admiral.

Reminded me of the Klingon sisters. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So 20-24 episodes left, with 20 being the most likely number. The only way is up. 

I'd say 16-20.  Zazlav isn't suddenly going to be about spending more money

Edited by WBT

29 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

Me

IMG_8490.jpeg

Still pissed. After the R & A forever conversation and awkward moments, I saw 20mins left. I subtract 5mins for possible post show crap.  We took bathroom breaks, got refills, and sat down ready for 15mins of some drama/action. Told the wife "Starks, baby! It's about to go down!"

Then I realized it was just a montage of blue balls.