House of the Dragon

crash_davis

1 hour ago, elguapo said:

image.png.95c6a79a5c2c5e16c3c21970fa0fcf55.png

I loved the Allyn dressing down Corlys scene. “Your little gay heir is “dead” and now you remember an honorable G like me is alive, I don’t want or need you old man, I’m my own man!”

That said, this show I’ll contend is really good and the sum of its (eventual) parts will be borderline great. The beating is in the waiting week to week and then 18 months between seasons. If this was a binged over a week and 20-24 hour series, it would be really strong. No clubfoot pun intended.

As for me, I think I’ll wait until it’s finished and properly binge the last two seasons instead of trying to follow along real time. I think you remember and enjoy it more that way given the huge gaps.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I might wait and watch the series finale in 2028, around the time of the LA Olympics. I don’t know if the other episodes between now and then will be worth the time investment. Just tell me how it all ends.

i was annoyed just enough by the end of this season that i said "fuck it, i'm not going to wait until my 11 year old is in college to figure out what happens and just read it all. i have never read a single fantasy book in my life but this show pissed me off so much that i did it out of spite (well, a summary version but nonetheless).

• Haha 3

Rehashing a season one take here, but yeah..if it feels like we're watching budget Game of Thrones, it's cause we literally are.  Warner Bros/Discover is gonna be relentlessly tugging on these udders for years to come.

The Daemon payoff was a cool moment even though it took too long to get there. It did set the table for a potentially good next season. Since I'm just not as into this as GoT, the wait doesn't bother me as much. With GoT I had to start reading the books because the wait was killing me.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Derka said:

I mean, this is it right here. None of the character development of early GoT, absolutely no humor whatsoever, can't really follow the characters because their names all sound the same. But most of all, no fucking dragon battles.

This season was a slog. I will definitely be waiting for all episodes of season 3 to be released so I can binge them instead of tuning in every week hoping something happens, but only to watch the same boring characters have the same conversations in the same dimly-lit set.  Twas a goddamn beating. 

Thinking more about it, the Daemon and Rhaenyra reunion completely doesn't work for me.  All season, they've been teasing that Daemon might try to take his army of Rivermen and his dragon and take the throne for himself (never mind that it is totally out of character with how he could have tried to take the crown from Viserys and always stayed loyal).  But last week should have completely put that to rest.  Little Tully made Daemon his bitch, publicly humiliated him, and said that the Rivermen would back him but only because of Rhaenyra, because of grandpa Tully's vow to Viserys and Viserys's naming Rhaenyra as his heir.  So an episode later when Rhaenyra shows up, we're supposed to be back to questioning Daemon and the Rivermen's loyalties?  To the point that no one will kneel for Rhaenyra until Daemon kneels first?  It made no sense.

8 hours ago, MinerProphet said:

I loved the Allyn dressing down Corlys scene. “Your little gay heir is “dead” and now you remember an honorable G like me is alive, I don’t want or need you old man, I’m my own man!”

That said, this show I’ll contend is really good and the sum of its (eventual) parts will be borderline great. The beating is in the waiting week to week and then 18 months between seasons. If this was a binged over a week and 20-24 hour series, it would be really strong. No clubfoot pun intended.

As for me, I think I’ll wait until it’s finished and properly binge the last two seasons instead of trying to follow along real time. I think you remember and enjoy it more that way given the huge gaps.

I’ve enjoyed 90% of the episodes in both seasons.  However not having the  battle to end the show was a jizz to the eye.  

south Austin moms eye I meant

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BHMCruiser said:

I stopped reading this thread but I want to say how on earth do you make a show about titties and dragons boring?

Because there are no titties in this show. Like no titties, just skinny man ass and Aemond dick.

This show is the worst.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 2

9 hours ago, F250 said:

Because there are no titties in this show. Like no titties, just skinny man ass and Aemond dick.

And when Alicent "skinny dips," she wears a white slip thing that's not even see through when soaking wet.

#NotMyGoT

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 4

I’m not making excuses for GOTD. Fully clothed brothels wouldn’t happen anywhere, including Ridayh. Some tittles in the background won’t break them. 

That said common complaints actresses have about nude scenes: 

1) Length of time they have to be nude. It takes a long time to get a shot sometimes. I’m sure they’re cold and uncomfortable much of the time.

2) Open access to the set. Some actresses have described instances where the crowd watching the scene tripled in size during a nude scene, and included people that definitely shouldn’t be there. Caterers, pages, delivery guys etc…

3) I believe it’s now a guild requirement to hire an intimacy coordinator for every nude scene. I’m sure they’re expensive and slow down production. 

Sydney Sweeney has no problems showing the goods. Good for her and very good for us.

It’ll be interesting if the Aemond actor complains about having to do a nude scene. It should work both ways right? I’m sure that brothel scene wasn’t a ton of fun to shoot. 

46 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

And when Alicent "skinny dips," she wears a white slip thing that's not even see through when soaking wet.

#NotMyGoT

Total blue balls scene. She's wandering into the water in all white so I'm thinking, hell yea nips and muff!

But no. Yet another disappointment to be followed by more disappointment.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2024 at 9:54 PM, CurlyDumps said:

Rehashing a season one take here, but yeah..if it feels like we're watching budget Game of Thrones, it's cause we literally are. 

I think you meant it in a quality sense, because in a literal sense HOD cost twice as much per episode than GOT.  $20M/ep vs $5-15M. 

7 hours ago, 52-80 said:

I think you meant it in a quality sense, because in a literal sense HOD cost twice as much per episode than GOT.  $20M/ep vs $5-15M. 

Wow. I guess I did? Is this an inflation thing? GoT certainly felt bigger and more expensive. 

23 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Wow. I guess I did? Is this an inflation thing? GoT certainly felt bigger and more expensive. 

I think its for sure inflation, COVID-burdened logistics, and surprisingly people suggest dragon CGI cost a buttload. 

GoT had more exotic locations and agreed it felt more polished. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Then maybe he should executive produce a better fucking script. 

ETA: I’m not sure he can still actually write well like that any longer. Hence all the consulting, and not creating. 

Edited by thunderlounge

Good on him for speaking up not that it will make much difference.  That's what happens when you sellout control of your story.

I don't know where hbo's hacks get the arrogance to keep thinking they can write a better story.

• Hook 'Em 1

I found GRRM’s blog post to be constructive and well reasoned. He wisely goes after Condal instead of the other writers. I suspect Condal and GRRM haven’t spoken in several years. I believe he used 2020 as the year they discussed the film depiction of Blood and Cheese. 

His basic point was, if you keep cutting character after character events depicted on the show have to be drastically different from the book and have much less emotional impact. 

Spoiler

He did drop a warning in the post, but he spoiled a major death in Season 3. HBO has to be apoplectic. 

11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I found GRRM’s blog post to be constructive and well reasoned. He wisely goes after Condal instead of the other writers. I suspect Condal and GRRM haven’t spoken in several years. I believe he used 2020 as the year they discussed the film depiction of Blood and Cheese. 

His basic point was, if you keep cutting character after character events depicted on the show have to be drastically different from the book and have much less emotional impact. 

Hide contents

He did drop a warning in the post, but he spoiled a major death in Season 3. HBO has to be apoplectic. 

They all die in the end except for like one person. GRRM "spoiled" it in GoT. I don't get the spoilers for this one. All of the dragons die, and almost all the Targs die. They talk about it a lot in the original show. It's not a secret. I haven't read the Fire and Blood books, but I'm sure that all the "main characters" will die at the end and someone "surprising" (like an infant) is going to be the sole survivor because otherwise GoT wouldn't exist.  

Yes they all die but we don't need reminders of exactly how it happened if we didn't read the book and have forgotten the multiple scenes in the original show that discussed it. I've purposefully not looked back at those scenes so I can remain in the dark on how people die.