Texas BBQ

Washpark

On 6/29/2024 at 8:37 PM, dcbc said:

Terry Black's may be the sweet spot for quality/short wait BBQ.  I've never been disappointed at the Deep Ellum location.

Hoping that this is the case when the Fort Worth location opens on 7th street.  There are some great barbecue places in Tarrant County that are listed in the TM list and if the pictures posted here are any indication, one more will be added.

What’s the Lockhart consensus these days? Might be over that way on the 5th. Last time I was there for work it sounded like Chisholm Trail had fallen off, Kreuz only had good sides, Smittys was still solid, and blacks was pretty ok.

Terry Black has a spot there now. I’ve also seen and heard great things about Barbs. 

If we are picking one what do we do?

7 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

What’s the Lockhart consensus these days? Might be over that way on the 5th. Last time I was there for work it sounded like Chisholm Trail had fallen off, Kreuz only had good sides, Smittys was still solid, and blacks was pretty ok.

Terry Black has a spot there now. I’ve also seen and heard great things about Barbs. 

Black's is still good.  Kreuz more like a tourist trap and Smitty's brisket was shoe leather the last time I bothered trying it.

Haven't been to the new Terry Black's or Barbs.

7 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Barbs is only open Sat and Sunday unfortunately.

the answer if you want the best BBQ is probably Terry Blacks based on their other locations, haven't been to the new one in Lockhart though.

regular Blacks otherwise.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

I vote Terry Blacks. Went there a few months ago and it was outstanding.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Barb's is closed on Friday.  Terry Blacks has the best barbecue of the remaining places.  Smitty's has the best old school meat market / barbecue vibe.  

If it were me, I'd go to Terry Blacks for the main barbecue meal and then stop by Smitty's for the experience and a link of sausage on crackers.  

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

When I moved back in 2022, I was living in Kyle and my buddy lived (Fuck Cancer!) in Lytton Springs. We met up once or twice a month in Lockhart for BBQ.

Our general consensus over 20 or so total trips:

Tier 1: Kreuz; Terry Black's

Tier 2: Smitty's; Black's

Haven't made it to Barb's yet, my dad raves about it.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I have been to Smitty's and Kreuz's multiple times, mostly as a host to out of town guests, and I've pretty much only been disappointed in the food compared to what we can get in Austin. 

it’s perfect for non bbq Texans or tourist