Texas BBQ

Washpark

On 6/29/2024 at 8:37 PM, dcbc said:

Terry Black's may be the sweet spot for quality/short wait BBQ.  I've never been disappointed at the Deep Ellum location.

Hoping that this is the case when the Fort Worth location opens on 7th street.  There are some great barbecue places in Tarrant County that are listed in the TM list and if the pictures posted here are any indication, one more will be added.

What’s the Lockhart consensus these days? Might be over that way on the 5th. Last time I was there for work it sounded like Chisholm Trail had fallen off, Kreuz only had good sides, Smittys was still solid, and blacks was pretty ok.

Terry Black has a spot there now. I’ve also seen and heard great things about Barbs. 

If we are picking one what do we do?

7 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

What’s the Lockhart consensus these days? Might be over that way on the 5th. Last time I was there for work it sounded like Chisholm Trail had fallen off, Kreuz only had good sides, Smittys was still solid, and blacks was pretty ok.

Terry Black has a spot there now. I’ve also seen and heard great things about Barbs. 

Black's is still good.  Kreuz more like a tourist trap and Smitty's brisket was shoe leather the last time I bothered trying it.

Haven't been to the new Terry Black's or Barbs.

7 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Barbs is only open Sat and Sunday unfortunately.

the answer if you want the best BBQ is probably Terry Blacks based on their other locations, haven't been to the new one in Lockhart though.

regular Blacks otherwise.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

I vote Terry Blacks. Went there a few months ago and it was outstanding.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Barb's is closed on Friday.  Terry Blacks has the best barbecue of the remaining places.  Smitty's has the best old school meat market / barbecue vibe.  

If it were me, I'd go to Terry Blacks for the main barbecue meal and then stop by Smitty's for the experience and a link of sausage on crackers.  

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

When I moved back in 2022, I was living in Kyle and my buddy lived (Fuck Cancer!) in Lytton Springs. We met up once or twice a month in Lockhart for BBQ.

Our general consensus over 20 or so total trips:

Tier 1: Kreuz; Terry Black's

Tier 2: Smitty's; Black's

Haven't made it to Barb's yet, my dad raves about it.

• Hook 'Em 1

I have been to Smitty's and Kreuz's multiple times, mostly as a host to out of town guests, and I've pretty much only been disappointed in the food compared to what we can get in Austin. 

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I have been to Smitty's and Kreuz's multiple times, mostly as a host to out of town guests, and I've pretty much only been disappointed in the food compared to what we can get in Austin. 

it’s perfect for non bbq Texans or tourist 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Underdog said:

Can’t head back home without getting some authentic Q… 

74198733076__48CFE061-F742-4D3D-8EF5-4AC1291F05F3.thumb.jpeg.8d166370ad8f225fa1b66d42d27b660f.jpeg

Not a fan of their 'que, but I do really like their dry rub wings with their bbq sauce for dipping. It has become a frequent night time thing. I like getting a big yellow cup to add to my fine drinkware collection as well. I think they smoke the wings and freeze them, then reheat them in a hotass pizza oven. They come out so crispy outside and tender and juicy inside, not your traditional hot wing. Great stuff.

Edited by DougO
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, DougO said:

Not a fan of their 'que, but I do really like their dry rub wings with their bbq sauce for dipping. It has become a frequent night time thing. I like getting a big yellow cup to add to my fine drinkware collection as well. I think they smoke the wings and freeze them, then reheat them in a hotass pizza oven. They come out so crispy outside and tender and juicy inside, not your traditional hot wing. Great stuff.

IMG_0037.gif.a39d4487b9d57ce180a3c0fcf7d3f920.gif

It was a low bar but that chopped was better than the Whataburger I got the other day. I was going to trash the cup then said fuck it and brought it back with me. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Horn Draoi said:

Had Holy Smokes! BBQ from Marble Falls on the 4th.  Not impressed, undercooked and very chewy.  Maybe the holiday rush?  I’ll let somebody else test during a “normal” week.

I'd bet dollars to donuts it's not any better then.

We went to Moreno's for lunch today in Austin.  Was very good.  I had a smoked burger and fries that were excellent.  We got a slice of brisket and a pork rib to share and it was really good.  Seems like a nice replacement for Valentina's as they do breakfast tacos and have barbacoa.  Also a good selection of sandwiches.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/3/2024 at 12:10 AM, hobbes2702 said:

I was always a Smitty's guy, but the food was pretty mediocre the last couple of times I went.  I tried Black's about a year ago and it was definitely better.

Jay’s BBQ Shack, Abilene.

Solid as always. Good brisket and ribs. House made jalapeño and cheese sausage is as good as I’ve ever had. Not pictured, jalapeño corn and hatch green chili mac and cheese. Both very good. 

Best Q in Abilene imo

IMG_8532.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

Drove to Stiles at lunch today forgetting they were closed. Walked through the open front door and found no one in the restaurant… checked my phone and then, whoops!

A check of Black Gold down the street seemed to indicate they had yet to open but i took a look anyway and was disappointed. No BBQ for the taco today…

On 7/7/2024 at 5:23 PM, kevwun said:

We went to Moreno's for lunch today in Austin.  Was very good.  I had a smoked burger and fries that were excellent.  We got a slice of brisket and a pork rib to share and it was really good.  Seems like a nice replacement for Valentina's as they do breakfast tacos and have barbacoa.  Also a good selection of sandwiches.

Shhhhhhhhhh....... Those of us that live near there appreciate not having to wait in ridiculously long lines. 

21 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

The OG family going to reopen Dozier’s out in Fulshear 

https://www.chron.com/food/article/texas-barbecue-saved-doziers-19568194.php

This makes me happy.  We used to go to Dozier's all the time when I was a kid on our drive out 1093 to our ranch near Frydek.  My dad always thought a lot of Ed, and I have permanent memories of what Dozier's smelled like back then (and probably still does today).  Good on the grandson for buying it back.  I hope he does right by the place and can keep it going.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2

Driving from New Braunfels to Waco next Friday - is Interstellar still legit for a stop N of the city or should I aim for something else? Ideally lesser of a long wait - will be prob 12:30ish when we are coming through and have a bit of a tight schedule. 

Edited by The Ace of Aces

9 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Driving from New Braunfels to Waco next Friday - is Interstellar still legit for a stop N of the city or should I aim for something else? Ideally lesser of a long wait - will be prob 12:30ish when we are coming through and have a bit of a tight schedule. 

Interstellar is a legit stop.  The wait will probably be 45 minutes or more on Friday, though.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 7/19/2024 at 9:12 PM, The Ace of Aces said:

On 7/20/2024 at 6:32 AM, Jerry Callo said:

Interstellar is a legit stop.  The wait will probably be 45 minutes or more on Friday, though.

On 7/20/2024 at 7:49 AM, The Ace of Aces said:

Thanks.  If time is a n issue might give Guess or Helberg a shot. 

Stiles Switch in Cedar Park is good.  Better and much more consistent than their N. Lamar location IMO.