Texas BBQ

Washpark

7 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Stopped by KG BBQ for lunch today. Much longer like than the first time I went prior to hitting the Texas Monthly list and Kareem competing on the Netflix show. 

20240727_112611.thumb.jpg.d2ed458290df8ad3beafb91a6db18418.jpg

20240727_121646.thumb.jpg.f61873c8431455e9b98b9b8bfef5d6a9.jpg

Half pound of moist  brisket, pound of pork ribs, Mediterranean sausage, lamb and beef kofta, Egyptian mac and cheese, Mediterranean rice, and Om Ali (Egyptian bread pudding) for dessert.

20240727_123700.thumb.jpg.34328a4782a47405d109de9fd278bc61.jpg

What a high quality and well rounded menu.  Brisket was cooked well and nicely seasoned, although one of the slices was a little too thick.  Pork ribs continue to be my favorite - layers of flavor and good bite.   Next time I'll ask for theee or four large ribs as opposed to just ordering a pound - too many little ribs.  Sausages and sides are so unique to Texas barbecue and really good.  I didn't get any lamb chops because I've had them several times.  If you go for the first time, a lamb chop is a must. 

Where is this place? Those ribs look interesting and good as fuck

Anyone ever had a bbq order shipped? I'm in northern Colorado and would be grateful for a recommendation on whether it's worth it and who does a great job with packing and shipping. 

I’ve sent Coopers to some texpats and they were quite happy. Franklin ships too - a cryovac brisket is easy to ship.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Have done both Snow’s and Franklin shipping to us in NY, they both reheated, or should I say, microwaved just fine.  Franklin was directly from him and Snow’s through Goldbelly.  Have done the same for Chicago deep dish. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Thanks for the mail order tips. I hope Snow's is still killing it. Ordered direct from them, which seemed to be the best deal. For less than the price of 2 briskets from Franklin I ordered 2 briskets, 2 racks of ribs and some sausage, plus it'll arrive on Tuesday. But damn getting food from Franklin was tempting. The price difference is undoubtedly the goldbelly markup. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Chopper said:

Anyone ever had a bbq order shipped? I'm in northern Colorado and would be grateful for a recommendation on whether it's worth it and who does a great job with packing and shipping. 

I was not happy with gifts I sent from Southside from Elgin. 

Surprisingly, this place from Menard does some great stuff: https://www.brisket.net/default.aspx

6 hours ago, Underdog said:

Have done both Snow’s and Franklin shipping to us in NY, they both reheated, or should I say, microwaved just fine.  Franklin was directly from him and Snow’s through Goldbelly.  Have done the same for Chicago deep dish. 

Sous vide is the best way to reheat BBQ IMHO

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

6 hours ago, Chopper said:

Thanks for the mail order tips. I hope Snow's is still killing it. Ordered direct from them, which seemed to be the best deal. For less than the price of 2 briskets from Franklin I ordered 2 briskets, 2 racks of ribs and some sausage, plus it'll arrive on Tuesday. But damn getting food from Franklin was tempting. The price difference is undoubtedly the goldbelly markup. 

I shipped a brisket from snows to some friends in New Orleans in the last year and was there when they heated it up. You did right by your friends for sure. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Snow’s Reheating Instructions

I’ve never used the mail order, but I’ve read numerous reviews noting that their instructions worked great. 

YMMV

Spoiler

I was there last weekend and Ms Tootsie didn’t look well. I’ve known her since the mid-70s. 

If it’s on your bucket list you should go now. I’ll bet she retires before long and who could blame her? 

• Hook 'Em 2

We went to Snow's a month or 2 ago for the first time.  I hope it was an off day for the brisket.  Everything else was fine, but I can make a better brisket than what we had on a pellet grill while drinking heavily.

On 7/17/2024 at 9:06 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

RIP Convenience West

Hate to see this but honestly not surprised. We went last year and it was pretty bad. I still don't understand how they got a James Beard award nomination. They're not even the best restaurant in Marfa. 

3 hours ago, bborange said:

Lunch last Wednesday at Terry Black’s.  

Great to have a meeting over BBQ. 

IMG_6281.jpeg

Ready for the Terry Black BBQ store that is being built on 7th street here in Fort Worth to open.  Hope they can produce quality like this picture shows.

Question for you Houston folks.  I'm making my first trip down since the 90's.  Son is touring Rice.  I'd like to hit up one of your area's specialty BBQ spots.  There are a couple of qualifiers, though.

1. Driving from Johnson Space Center, up 45, to Dallas.

2. It'll be a Sunday.

3. We don't really have the time or patience to go through a long line.  

Any suggestions?

21 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Question for you Houston folks.  I'm making my first trip down since the 90's.  Son is touring Rice.  I'd like to hit up one of your area's specialty BBQ spots.  There are a couple of qualifiers, though.

2. It'll be a Sunday.

Any suggestions?

pinkerton’s - high probability there’s a line, it moves quickly. Order ahead and it’s waiting on the to go table for you 

• Like 2

On 7/30/2024 at 3:33 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

2. It'll be a Sunday.

Any suggestions?

Pinkertons will save you a total of 20 minutes in driving and 15 minutes of lines but cost you 5% in flavor.  It’s still really good but those are trade offs you need to weigh.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hornbeliever said:

Pinkertons will save you a total of 20 minutes in driving and 15 minutes of lines but cost you 5% in flavor.  It’s still really good but those are trade offs you need to weigh.  

Pinkertons is great.

Truth is a little better. 

BBQ is universally better than it has ever been, there are plenty of good options these days.

• Hook 'Em 5

What’s the spot in or around Wimberley these days?

Kelly’s is the best and it is a trailer in the laundromat parking lot on 12.

San Marcos BBQ took over their old restaurant space and it is okay.
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 8/1/2024 at 10:20 AM, huge said:

BBQ is universally better than it has ever been, there are plenty of good options these days.

So, so, SO much this.

Y'all really don't understand.  20+ years ago, if you wanted truly great BBQ, there were a handful of options statewide.  Most of them in small towns.  In Austin, you drove to Lockart or Taylor.  That was it.  Most BBQ was like the crappy catered stuff you got/can still get sometimes: think Mikeska's type stuff.  It's.....fine, in terms of "I ate a meal."  But it was just food.  Not the kind of thing you ate and thought "holy shit, that's amazing."

Today, within 10-15 minutes of my home and/or my office, there are a dozen places serving world-class BBQ.  Seriously, even joints that folks around here often crap on because they're just an outpost of "a chain."  Take the Blacks BBQ location on Guadalupe.  Create a time machine, and put that same place in Austin, in 1994 (30 years ago).  It would be the best BBQ in the city, and there wouldn't be a close second.  Today?  There are a dozen places as good or better within a 15 minute drive.

Shit, when my kids went to an office picnic probably 10 years ago, catered by one of those old style mediocre outfits, they tasted the BBQ and asked me "what the hell is this?"  I told them "it's the kind of BBQ your mother and I grew up on.  Y'all are spoiled."

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So, so, SO much this.

Y'all really don't understand.  20+ years ago, if you wanted truly great BBQ, there were a handful of options statewide.  Most of them in small towns.  In Austin, you drove to Lockart or Taylor.  That was it.  Most BBQ was like the crappy catered stuff you got/can still get sometimes: think Mikeska's type stuff.  It's.....fine, in terms of "I ate a meal."  But it was just food.  Not the kind of thing you ate and thought "holy shit, that's amazing."

Today, within 10-15 minutes of my home and/or my office, there are a dozen places serving world-class BBQ.  Seriously, even joints that folks around here often crap on because they're just an outpost of "a chain."  Take the Blacks BBQ location on Guadalupe.  Create a time machine, and put that same place in Austin, in 1994 (30 years ago).  It would be the best BBQ in the city, and there wouldn't be a close second.  Today?  There are a dozen places as good or better within a 15 minute drive.

Shit, when my kids went to an office picnic probably 10 years ago, catered by one of those old style mediocre outfits, they tasted the BBQ and asked me "what the hell is this?"  I told them "it's the kind of BBQ your mother and I grew up on.  Y'all are spoiled."

I grew up in Austin thinking that chopped beef sandwiches from The Pit were tits!

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I grew up in Austin thinking that chopped beef sandwiches from The Pit were tits!

I mean....a simple chopped beef sammich IS still a nice thing.  And yeah, when you could get 4 for $6 or something like that....I picked that deal up a time or two when the boy had an early little league game.  Grab a bag of chopped beef sammiches on the way there, eat them in the stands at NWLL.  Not a bad evening.  Just got to have the right expectations/standards.

I remember being super-happy with picking up a quart of chopped BBQ at Joel's BBQ in Flatonia as we headed down to my uncle's ranch for the weekend.  Heat it up for sandwiches, eaten with a cold beer on the porch.  Good times, good dinner.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tigol said:

Kelly’s is the best and it is a trailer in the laundromat parking lot on 12.

San Marcos BBQ took over their old restaurant space and it is okay.

Go to Kelly's. Don't think twice.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I mean....a simple chopped beef sammich IS still a nice thing.  And yeah, when you could get 4 for $6 or something like that....I picked that deal up a time or two when the boy had an early little league game.  Grab a bag of chopped beef sammiches on the way there, eat them in the stands at NWLL.  Not a bad evening.  Just got to have the right expectations/standards.

I remember being super-happy with picking up a quart of chopped BBQ at Joel's BBQ in Flatonia as we headed down to my uncle's ranch for the weekend.  Heat it up for sandwiches, eaten with a cold beer on the porch.  Good times, good dinner.

Back when we first moved to Taylor, I could get home from work in Austin at 6pm, and still go through the drive thru at Rudy Mikeska's, get 4 chopped beef sandwiches for $10 or a family pack- lb of brisket, lb of sausage, potato salad, beans and half a loaf of white bread, pickles and onions (and real onions, fuck the purple pickled shit places serve nowadays) for $25.  Definitely good times.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

So, so, SO much this.

Every single word of this.

10 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

So, so, SO much this.

smittys, kreuz or luling market was peak bbq, and a ‘n treat !

Edited by tx 3 putt