Texas BBQ

Washpark

I can't remember if I've asked this before -- I saw a food channel feature on Pinkerton's and he claimed to smoke over mesquite.  Texas Monthly says he starts on mesquite and finishes on post oak.

Either way, does this somewhat dispel the claims that mesquite shouldn't be used to smoke low and slow?

22 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I can't remember if I've asked this before -- I saw a food channel feature on Pinkerton's and he claimed to smoke over mesquite.  Texas Monthly says he starts on mesquite and finishes on post oak.

Either way, does this somewhat dispel the claims that mesquite shouldn't be used to smoke low and slow?

My dislike for mesquite comes from my own experimentation with it. I've tried it and I just don't enjoy the flavor for a long smoke, plus it burns a little hotter and faster and is tougher to control.  So I avoid it.

However, for grilling steaks, I think it's fantastic.  I'll take small mesquite splits, burn them down to coals, and then put the steaks on.  The mesquite is strong enough to influence the flavor, even during the quick duration of a steak sear.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I smoke almost exclusively with mesquite. But I'm from South Texas originally (Medina County, where the parisa comes from). I say almost, because sometimes I can't find it in Austin. 

It does burn hotter/faster. I also have adjusted my temperatures and times over the years to account for that. I can smoke a 12 lb brisket in 8 hours on the regular (I try to smoke it around 350 instead of 225, and I pull it and rest it after that still wrapped), and to be quite humble, it's better than 90% of the homemade brisket in these parts that is over oak. 

It takes a little bit more babysitting, but hell, those beers aren't going to drink themselves. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I learned how to bbq out on a ranch that had post oak, live oak and mesquite on it. We cut and stacked up plenty but never really kept it separated. We'd bbq with whatever we grabbed. You could tell when you were going heavy with mesquite, but we cooked at a little higher temps regardless of wood, so it was never bad. 

Would I smoke a brisket low and slow with mesquite exclusively? I probably wouldn't, but I'd mix it in no problem.

High heat? I'll use mesquite all damn day (not necessarily on brisket, but other high heat items).

Edited by UncleBuck

23 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

click if you want to be triggered …

Hide contents

Screenshot2024-09-20at13_08_13.thumb.jpeg.7f0274e9f8b8c2881c815426de0f116a.jpeg

triggered GIF

Why would that trigger anyone? He got Fried Chicken and Iced Tea, which is great there. So are their breakfast tacos. Just don't get the "barbecue" and you'll be fine. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Especially since the kids came along, I no longer cook 225.  I'm a 300 fan through and through now.   I build my bed of coals with Mesquite Charcoal and mesquite logs.  Then as the cook goes along, I move into my post oak.  If I'm adding any ribs or  poultry in the last several hours, it'll be split 50/50 with oak and pecan.  So my briskets will always have started with mesquite, moved to oak, and sometimes get a little pecan thrown in the mix.   

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, hornian said:

Why would that trigger anyone? He got Fried Chicken and Iced Tea, which is great there. So are their breakfast tacos. Just don't get the "barbecue" and you'll be fine. 

My older son was the "chicken man" at the Burnet location, he made it for us at home several times.  Their chicken kicks ass.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, hornian said:

He literally got the three items that make it worth going to Bill Miller's: 1) great fried chicken, 2) some of the best french fries around (they fry them in beef fat, the way that God and the rendering plant intended), and 3) giant iced tea.

Fuck, I'd grab that for dinner tonight if I was anywhere near a Bill Miller's.

If it was "Bill Miller's House of Tasty Fried Chicken," we'd all be singing its praises.  Just pretend their cue doesn't exist.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 9/20/2024 at 3:13 PM, Brisketexan said:

He literally got the three items that make it worth going to Bill Miller's: 1) great fried chicken, 2) some of the best french fries around (they fry them in beef fat, the way that God and the rendering plant intended), and 3) giant iced tea.

Fuck, I'd grab that for dinner tonight if I was anywhere near a Bill Miller's.

If it was "Bill Miller's House of Tasty Fried Chicken," we'd all be singing its praises.  Just pretend their cue doesn't exist.

more or less, i’ve eaten there for 30+ years 

never tried the bbq 

10 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

On Wednesday, September 18, San Antonio's Historic and Design Review Commission held a regular meeting to discuss the approvals of multiple agenda items, including a request to construct a Terry Black's Barbecue location at 2102 Broadway, near the city's developing Pearl area.

I don't suppose there's a Chili Queen stand or b&m down there somewhere is there?

'Cause there damned well ought be. 

1 hour ago, Masshole Horn said:

image.jpeg.f90e053a3edefcd73c1df5a9dd075e5b.jpeg

Top 5 brisket!! Dry, unrendered, and barkless.

Yeah, that looks pretty bad.  Everything else in the pictures on the list looked pretty good, though.

No actual top ten barbecue list would leave the state of Texas.  There are probably a couple non-Texas places that would make the top fifty.

On 9/20/2024 at 9:34 AM, jimmyjazz said:

When I used to smoke with Jordan Jackson some at Bodacious in Longview he used a mixture of Mesquite and Oak.  

Business going to be picking up in Longview at Sunbird.  Glad to see them expanding their cooking capacity. 

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Yeah, that looks pretty bad.  Everything else in the pictures on the list looked pretty good, though.

No actual top ten barbecue list would leave the state of Texas.  There are probably a couple non-Texas places that would make the top fifty.

imo, brisket tends to take ‘bad’ photos. it performs much better in videos