Texas BBQ

Washpark

I usually don't watch these, but Kareem from KG BBQ is on the 3rd season Barbecue Showdown on Netflix.  Some lady from Texas named Sloan is also on the show, but I don't know anything about her.  I hope KG kicks some serious ass.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I usually don't watch these, but Kareem from KG BBQ is on the 3rd season Barbecue Showdown on Netflix.  Some lady from Texas named Sloan is also on the show, but I don't know anything about her.  I hope KG kicks some serious ass.

Just remember, this isn't a serious bbq show. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/22/2024 at 4:49 PM, Deej said:
  Reveal hidden contents

He gets passed over for a chick who can't cook a brisket. 

Spoilered 

Spoiler

Thanks for the spoiler tag.  I didn't look until he got kicked off.  Imagine having a great brisket, but losing on the leftovers challenge.  I think I'll go see him this weekend.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:
  Hide contents

Thanks for the spoiler tag.  I didn't look until he got kicked off.  Imagine having a great brisket, but losing on the leftovers challenge.  I think I'll go see him this weekend.

Both of his challengers made a fucking burnt ends sandwich. Clown show 

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Deej said:

Places that do this...stop giving them your business. 

Pisses me off because I think Tejas is top tier BBQ, but I’m not supporting a business that rips off its workers. 

On 7/22/2024 at 3:00 PM, Deej said:

Just remember, this isn't a serious bbq show. 

Yeah, but he's the most likeable person on it.  Netflix forced it on me, and I gave in.

10 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Hot and fast is not easy that’s for sure. If you want to test brisket, let them go low and slow if they want.

It doesn't help that none of them go straight to getting the fire going, then rub those briskets quick and get them on the pit.  It seemed like it was two hours in before any of them got to that point.

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

It doesn't help that none of them go straight to getting the fire going, then rub those briskets quick and get them on the pit.  It seemed like it was two hours in before any of them got to that point.

8 hours does seem a bit tight, but it is a "BBQ" challenge, not a "low and slow" challenge, and not a "let's set the perimeters around each contestants skills and methods," challenge. You have folks popping out hot and fast briskets at competitions in 6 hours or even less all of the time (normally using barrel type cookers). Get a hot fire going, get your brisket on and keep that fire hot at least through the stall. With briskets sometimes I go low and slow, sometimes medium-ish all the way. I never go hot and fast with them, but I know I could if I needed to, because I can "BBQ." 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

8 hours does seem a bit tight, but it is a "BBQ" challenge, not a "low and slow" challenge, and not a "let's set the perimeters around each contestants skills and methods," challenge. You have folks popping out hot and fast briskets at competitions in 6 hours or even less all of the time (normally using barrel type cookers). Get a hot fire going, get your brisket on and keep that fire hot at least through the stall. With briskets sometimes I go low and slow, sometimes medium-ish all the way. I never go hot and fast with them, but I know I could if I needed to, because I can "BBQ." 

I think if you competition cut the brisket and go like 300 you can get good results. 

22 minutes ago, kevwun said:

It's never as tender when you cook it that hot and the fat doesn't render properly.

I mean make no mistake, there's a different mouth feel and bite to a brisket that has sat there cooking and relaxing for 16 hours, but hot and fast brisket can be tender AF and its own great thing, with the fat rendering more than well enough.. And sometimes it just has to do, when you've been given only 8 hours to get it onto a plate. 

Edited by UncleBuck

I'm not sure how they were able to do any of the large proteins in the amount of time allocated.  No way there was time for a proper rest within the time slot.  Some of the cooks looked like the meat was pulled just before plating - might have been the editing, though.  Regardless, it was fun to watch Kareem and Sloan (who I'd never heard of) compete.    

12 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I'm not sure how they were able to do any of the large proteins in the amount of time allocated.  No way there was time for a proper rest within the time slot.  Some of the cooks looked like the meat was pulled just before plating - might have been the editing, though.  Regardless, it was fun to watch Kareem and Sloan (who I'd never heard of) compete.    

You'd definitely prefer a longer rest. That's why my thought process was you'd need to get that brisket done in 6 hours, so you can maybe get an hour of rest. Will take time for fire to get ready, then rest and plate. It can be done, but yah, it's a tight squeeze and you figured they'd get more time. But though the rest time would be short, and longer rests are preferred, only 45 minutes to an hour resting isn't going to kill you. I've had to do it before when guests *cough* MyInLawsWhoAreVeryImpatientAndDoNotUnderstandRestTimes *cough* are ready to eat. It turns out fine, just not where you'd prefer it to be. 

I also wonder how long the meat sits on those plates before the judges get to them. For the contestants' sake, I'd hope it's a right away type thing. 

Edited by UncleBuck

16 hours ago, Deej said:

It probably takes some time to get that one judge out of her crypt, so probably not a right away type thing. 

If bad mood was a person.

To me, the funniest and most relatable part was when the girl who won tried to put pork ribs on the Pit Barrel Cooker (the first time in the entire show I remember seeing anyone use that damned thing), and her ribs fell off the hook and into the fire.  

We retired ours to the lake years ago, and a few weeks ago, I stupidly hung a couple of baby backs in it, only to have them both drop into the fire.  I'm done with it.  It's being gifted to my brother in law with a rib caveat.

Edited by dcbc
  • Haha 2

Since they only had 8 hours for the brisket, wouldn’t it be prudent to separate the point and flat and cook them separately? Still hot and fast but then give a good rest period after they probe right so that the juices redistribute (obviously you’ve pulled the flat earlier than the point)? That’s what I was telling my wife as we were watching it.

2 minutes ago, deft said:

Since they only had 8 hours for the brisket, wouldn’t it be prudent to separate the point and flat and cook them separately? Still hot and fast but then give a good rest period after they probe right so that the juices redistribute (obviously you’ve pulled the flat earlier than the point)? That’s what I was telling my wife as we were watching it.

It's an option. Or you could just super trim your brisket down to 10lb or so. Maybe give 'em some brisket sausage on the side with the trimmings. 

That extra fat on the point keeps the flat a bit more moist.  I'd think separating it hurts you there.  But what kills these people is not getting the fires lit and getting the meat on so they have time to get it cooked and rest it.  It's TV.  So it's mostly fake.  But still

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, dcbc said:

If bad mood was a personTo me, the funniest and most relatable part was when the girl who won tried to put pork ribs on the Pit Barrel Cooker (the first time in the entire show I remember seeing anyone use that damned thing, and her ribs fell into the fire.  

We retired ours to the lake years ago, and a few weeks ago, I stupidly hung a couple of baby backs in it, only to have them both drop into the fire.  I'm done with it.  It's being gifted to my brother in law with a rib caveat.

I have one.  I almost burned my house down after removing the lid to move something and it became a hellfire-belching dragon.  Fuck those things.

• Hook 'Em 1

It's an option. Or you could just super trim your brisket down to 10lb or so. Maybe give 'em some brisket sausage on the side with the trimmings. 

lol did you see them trying to make sausage
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I have one.  I almost burned my house down after removing the lid to move something and it became a hellfire-belching dragon.  Fuck those things.

So that's why they have a warning on them: "For outdoor use only."

Just now, dcbc said:

So that's why they have a warning on them: "For outdoor use only."

Oh, my bad.  (To be clear, it was in the back yard, several feet from the roofline of my back porch.  Barely far enough.  I had to grab a stick and put it through the lid's handle to put the lid back on.)

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, dcbc said:

That extra fat on the point keeps the flat a bit more moist.  I'd think separating it hurts you there.  

I always put it this way-- a packer trimmed brisket is the perfect combination of fat, connective tissue, and lean meat.  It cooks so beautifully and tastes so great, because it is self-contained.

Making any changes to the composition or dimensions of that perfect package, alters the cooking chemistry, resulting in a more volatile cooking process and a less consistent final product.

I'm not saying that splitting up a brisket can't be done, I've seen folks do all kinds of things to attempt to approximate a full packer cook, with an oddly trimmed or split-up source.  Some of the results are really good, but in general they are sub-optimal.

Just my take after cooking a bazillion briskets and trying to help others do the same.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Oh, my bad.  (To be clear, it was in the back yard, several feet from the roofline of my back porch.  Barely far enough.  I had to grab a stick and put it through the lid's handle to put the lid back on.)

I was just kidding.  I had the same thing happen.  I've seen it happen on a Big Green Egg too.  On the PBC, even if you go slow, if the lid is off those things for longer than a few seconds, that fire gets up, which I later discovered doesn't hurt it so much for grilling burgers if it's the only thing available.  Ultimately, I credit it for getting me started in making decent BBQ.  I quickly moved to a WSM.  I have my first decent offset on order, but I'll always keep the WSM around along with my Kettle.  The PBC truly is the master of none, but it might get my brother in law started, and free isn't a bad price for it.  I'll be sure to remind him to go slow with the lid.  

41 minutes ago, kevwun said:

One of my buddies cooked a HEB point that came cut in half last weekend on his recteq.  He said it turned out dry as fuck and he knows what he's doing.

I did a few points from HEB when I was dialing in my WSM. Back then (wouldn't know now) they took way too much fat cap and flat off (with the fat side down in the packaging). and most didn't seem very marbly. If it absolutely came down to parting one, I'd leave more fat and flat on the point.

Edited by UncleBuck

18 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Pretty sure you’re not supposed to use them “in” the house.

Spoiler

j/k

• Hook 'Em 1

The only time I use dissected brisket is when I pick up one of those pre-packaged corn beef flats, points, or any combination thereof for some pastrami.  And it's not Katz's, but it's a novelty.

15 hours ago, kevwun said:

One of my buddies cooked a HEB point that came cut in half last weekend on his recteq.  He said it turned out dry as fuck and he knows what he's doing.

those are perfect for the crock pot !

Stopped by KG BBQ for lunch today. Much longer like than the first time I went prior to hitting the Texas Monthly list and Kareem competing on the Netflix show. 

20240727_112611.thumb.jpg.d2ed458290df8ad3beafb91a6db18418.jpg

20240727_121646.thumb.jpg.f61873c8431455e9b98b9b8bfef5d6a9.jpg

Half pound of moist  brisket, pound of pork ribs, Mediterranean sausage, lamb and beef kofta, Egyptian mac and cheese, Mediterranean rice, and Om Ali (Egyptian bread pudding) for dessert.

20240727_123700.thumb.jpg.34328a4782a47405d109de9fd278bc61.jpg

What a high quality and well rounded menu.  Brisket was cooked well and nicely seasoned, although one of the slices was a little too thick.  Pork ribs continue to be my favorite - layers of flavor and good bite.   Next time I'll ask for theee or four large ribs as opposed to just ordering a pound - too many little ribs.  Sausages and sides are so unique to Texas barbecue and really good.  I didn't get any lamb chops because I've had them several times.  If you go for the first time, a lamb chop is a must. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1