Texas BBQ

Washpark

On 9/11/2024 at 7:51 AM, Native Horn said:

First fajitas I had were at La Vista at the Hyatt Regency Austin, which was among the fanciest hotels in Austin at the time.  Server after server bringing out the piping hot comales, delicious fajita steam wafting through the lily-white clientele on the second floor of the Hyatt. 

thats the whitest thing i’ve ever read here, congrats 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Pretty good TM article about Goldee's training other pitmasters.  Obviously, Chuck Charnichart features prominently with the success of Barbs-B-Q.  I found this interesting, especially since I hadn't heard anything about it:

Charnichart is the only one who remains, after Haley Conlin left the business in January and Alexis Tovias was asked to depart in February. 

There was so much hype prior to opening about the three women opening the business.  I'm glad Chuck has been able to keep it going - the quality of barbecue is quite impressive.

On 9/10/2024 at 4:06 PM, Brisketexan said:

Fajitas say "hi."  My 87 yr old dad has a whole rant about it -- "I used to buy them for 29 cents a pound before those assholes at Chili's went and made them popular with gringos."

Cheap/throwaway stuff (that is often the food of poor folks/minority cultures) gets discovered and becomes expensive:

- smoked brisket (used to be for country/rural folk, at the local market/butcher/bbq joint)

- chicken wings (cheap bar food for yankee yahoos)

- ox tails (an african american staple)

- fajitas (served by the platter full at countless mexican backyard barbecues until they got expensive in the early 80s)

- tacos in general (I'm looking at you fuckers at Torchy's)

And the list surely goes on and on.

Wings too expensive?  My grandmother would buy necks for chicken and dumplings sometimes the head was still attached.  Blechhh!

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Pretty good TM article about Goldee's training other pitmasters.  Obviously, Chuck Charnichart features prominently with the success of Barbs-B-Q.  I found this interesting, especially since I hadn't heard anything about it:

There was so much hype prior to opening about the three women opening the business.  I'm glad Chuck has been able to keep it going - the quality of barbecue is quite impressive.

3 women not able to get along on how to run a business ???

im shocked 😁

• Haha 1

Let's say you are driving from Austin to Ft. Worth and back the same day.  If you had a chance to stop somewhere in the afternoon to pick up BBQ to go and bring home, where would you go?  Are there options?

Here's a couple I see

Rise N Smoke Pit - Hillsboro

Buffalo Creek BBQ - Hillsboro

Tony's Backyard BBQ - Hillsboro

Massey's BBQ - Alvarado

Slovacek's West - West

I guess there are others but those looked easy

29 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Let's say you are driving from Austin to Ft. Worth and back the same day.  If you had a chance to stop somewhere in the afternoon to pick up BBQ to go and bring home, where would you go?  Are there options?

Here's a couple I see

Massey's BBQ - Alvarado

Slovacek's West - West

Guess in Waco?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, texasdago said:

Here's a couple I see

Massey's BBQ - Alvarado

Slovacek's West - West

Guess - Waco

Heilberg - Woodway 

G Wagon - Little River Academy (if they are open and not sold out)

Miller's - Belton 

3 hours ago, texasdago said:

Here's a couple I see

Massey's BBQ - Alvarado

Slovacek's West - West

Helberg-Waco

• Like 1

5 hours ago, texasdago said:

Here's a couple I see

Massey's BBQ - Alvarado

Slovacek's West - West

Terry Black's--Waco location on 8th Street.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Guess 

Helberg

Shoepfs

Putskas

Rosslers

Millers

Not a bad list.  Neither Pustka nor Shoepf's are on the TM top 50 or honorable mention, though.  Putskas made the 2019 Top 25 new, but didn't make the list after.

As mentioned above, several of these places close at 3:00 on certain days and are not open others.  Rossler's is only open on Wednesday or Thursday, which is why I've never tried it.

With that being said, I would choose either Miller's or Shoepf's to grab something to bring home from a trip to the Dallas.  If its open, Helberg is probably the best on the list.  No reason to cart barbecue home from Hillsboro.  

21 hours ago, texasdago said:

Here's a couple I see

Massey's BBQ - Alvarado

Slovacek's West - West

Take 281 and go to Hard 8?

I haven't been in about 7-8 years, but it was good back then. 

49 minutes ago, hornian said:

Take 281 and go to Hard 8?

I haven't been in about 7-8 years, but it was good back then. 

I took the 281 route between Austin and Ft. Worth a couple of years ago for the express purpose of stopping at Hard 8. They could have just had an off day, but it was awful when we stopped there. Someone who has been there more recently might be able to corroborate or dispute that review.

47 minutes ago, royiv said:

I took the 281 route between Austin and Ft. Worth a couple of years ago for the express purpose of stopping at Hard 8. They could have just had an off day, but it was awful when we stopped there. Someone who has been there more recently might be able to corroborate or dispute that review.

Hard 8 is not good. Allsups burrito is a great choice if you can find one.

3 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Hard 8 is not good. Allsups burrito is a great choice if you can find one.

My oldest was disappointed that she didn't get an Allsups burrito when we were in Ruidoso this year (pre-fire and flood) because I talked them up so much. 

• Hook 'Em 1