So excited to go to the SEC with these Tennessee assholes

TexasEd

Well, somebody should invite Austin B to Google "UT". See what comes up on Page 1.
I see UT-Knoxville listed just below U of Tampa and UTD.

Also, Google “real UT map”. I think 4 states say Tennessee. Surrounding states.

Any tweet about Texas there is a reply from Tennessee saying “we are the real UT”.

I like Tennessee in general and am looking forward to watching Texas play against them in the SEC.  I rarely (never?) interact with Tennessee fans in real life and I don't frequent any internet forums where I'd find them, so don't expect any hostile interactions.

This answer in that reddit thread was pretty funny though:

Long answer: Picture that one guy at the bar that used to be the star QB and prom king back in high school, but now he's in his mid-30s, working a dead-end job for just above minimum wage. He's on his 12th beer of the night, getting increasingly belligerent as he tries to instigate fights with literally anyone within range because the only way he feels alive anymore is in that brief moment between him punching the bouncer and all of the other bouncers ganging up to whoop his ass and kick him out. That guy is Tennessee.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I like Tennessee in general and am looking forward to watching Texas play against them in the SEC.  I rarely (never?) interact with Tennessee fans in real life and I don't frequent any internet forums where I'd find them, so don't expect any hostile interactions.

This answer in that reddit thread was pretty funny though:

also:

Short answer: yes

Long answer: They are one of the largest brands, fanbases, and wallets in all of college sports. This brand has largely been focused around college football. They have been perpetual underperformers for the past couple of decades and have had basically 3 good seasons to show for it. This has turned them bitter and relying on their traditions to show that they're a great team but are always saying "wait until next year." Next year never comes and they always fall short of expectations. They have been slaughtered by their biggest rival in recent history and their biggest rivals consider them a secondary rival. They have had good seasons but never enough to take the next step. Maybe I just described A&M, maybe they're the same school.

Well, it probably sucks for them that...

We beat Bama the last time we played them.

We beat Georgia the last time we played them.

TN is 1-16 against Bama the last 17 years.

TN is 2-12 against Georgia the last 14 years.

TN is also 2-17 against Florida the last 19 years.  You can probably see why they're anger is misplaced.  They can't beat anyone they hate.  Gonna be funny when we also beat Florida this year.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

When I was Jr High age, my Dad had four players from DeSoto, play for Tennessee in the mid-late ‘80s (Johnny Majors). Since we couldn’t go to Knoxville or closer road games, we always had the Jefferson Pilot games on TBS, which seemed like it was every Saturday of the Vols, home or away.

We never made it to any of their games, to include bowl games, which my Dad regrets to this day.

We both aim to get to Knoxville the first time the Horns play there. Because of those four: Hale, Hendrix, Hunt, and Prior, I’ve always had a “fondness” for Tennessee.

Hook’em!!!

One kind of odd thing specific to TN fans is their schedule.  Other than the year in which they won the MNC, here's how almost every year has played out.

Preseason - aggy level hype; up the roller coaster

Week 3 - Lose to Florida.  Fans start to have 2nd thoughts about their expectations.

Weeks 4-7 - Lose to Bama, Georgia.  Fire the coach!

Weeks8+ - End the year with 4 patsies and usually a pretty easy bowl game.  Here's there last 9 bowl opponents: Iowa, (10-3) Clemson, Purdue, Indiana, Nebraska, Northwestern, Iowa, North Carolina, Virginia Tech.

So they go on the exact same roller coaster every year.  We're good, wait a minute, we suck, nope, we're good again and end on a 4 or 5 game winning streak.  That has to mess with ones psyche over time.  They spend 49 of 52 weeks each year pretty content with what's going on.  They very rarely end the season on a bad note, so they're hyped from about Nov 1st until late Sept when they play Florida.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Earl Haffler said:

Fun fact about Tennessee's color:  The University of Tennessee chose orange as its color so those who donned it could wear it to the game on Saturday, hunting on Sunday, and picking up trash on the highway during the week.

I'm going to start using this. Naturally I'll say that I thunk it up on my own and give you absolutely no credit for this gem but that's how I roll

1 hour ago, Earl Haffler said:

Fun fact about Tennessee's color:  The University of Tennessee chose orange as its color so those who donned it could wear it to the game on Saturday, hunting on Sunday, and picking up trash on the highway during the week.

That's gold and I'll use it down the road with the few Vols fans I know.

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Who is their biggest rival?  I don't even know.  Florida?

Since the Albert Means debacle it is most definitely Bama. Fulmer dropping a dime on Alabama put them on probation opening the door for Shula to coach, which was a disaster. And would ultimately sink Fulmer at Tennessee.

On 7/3/2024 at 1:55 PM, The Dog said:

even OU fans are all "wtf is wrong with these guys?"

Their fanbase has taken on the persona of their baseball coach and program, which is their most successful team lately. Vitello is a prick, his team his cocky and in your face, and the fans talk shit nonstop. It’s been that way ever since Vitello got there. So that’s how the fans act all the time. Angry and confrontational. 

7 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Love Kyle, but UT was established in 1883, not 1876. That was just the year the legislature authorized the establishment of the university. 

1876 was also the year UT's agricultural branch opened in Collie Station. 

• Like 1

On 7/3/2024 at 3:25 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Who is their biggest rival?  I don't even know.  Florida?

When the SEC went to divisions in 1992 after pig and USCe joined, the conference assigned everyone a permanent rival in the other division for no other reason than to preserve the whole "Third Saturday In October" rivalry between Tennessee and Alabama.  Well, also keeping Auburn-Georgia probably also played into the permanent rival decision.  Because of that, we got LSU-Florida on a yearly basis, along with all of those scintillating Mississippi State-Kentucky and Ole Miss-Vanderbilt slobber-knockers.