So excited to go to the SEC with these Tennessee assholes

TexasEd

Just now, Doc Daneeka said:

Where does throwing to Cook up 42-7 in the 4th fall on the class scale? To be clear, I’m not opposed and I understand why, but not everyone sees it that way. There are plenty of people who saw Sarkisian’s continuing to press into the 4th quarter the same way you see what Tennessee did. 

UTSA were being the dicks, so fuck them. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Inge was originally going to Bama with DeBoer.  Interesting that Inge chose the vols over bama and DeBoer...

Screenshot_20240918-082149_kindlephoto-1930399.png.be6e6b53afe3e4d447ff449692b26914.png

William-Inge-%E2%80%94-Tennessee-Footbal

Tennessee linebackers coach William Inge met with the local media on Tuesday morning ahead of the Vols top 15 matchup at Oklahoma.

Inge discussed freshman Edwin Spillman’s debut against Chattanooga, the challenges that Oklahoma quarterback Jackson Arnold presents and much more.

On how he would grade the tackling from Tennessee linebackers through three games

“I think we’ve been fairly consistent at our back line. And again, often it’s, you’re going to be in the battle before you really see how it is. But we’ve definitely been effective thus far. And you only know how good you are off of your last performance. So we still have to keep our thumb on it going into the next game. So once we get done with one game, we turn the page and we move on to teaching again because the skill level is going to be better obviously this week and we still have to go out there and execute our job.”

On the versatility with Tennessee’s linebackers, being able to mix and match

“I think from a vision standpoint in the room, we have to create a culture that’s going to foster to a body of academic, athletic and personal excellence. So when you do that, everyone is going to be encompassing because we’re always teaching everyone. And our vision is to have dual linebackers, to where you can always get your best guys in. And one of the goals that we wanted to encompass coming in was see who was going to be the best combination of guys and who can play where. And I think the guys have really have a great job of embracing that and really putting that into play on game day.”

On Oklahoma QB Jackson Arnold being able to run and the importance for Tennessee’s defense stopping him in that area 

“Yeah, and that’s something that you really have to keep your eyes on when it comes to him being able to take off and run. But also him having some specific quarterback run games that they design. They do a great job and he’s obviously very efficient at what he does. He knows kind of when to take off, when it’s there for him. And he is really smart at being able to get what he can get and then he gets down. So we have to be very disciplined when it comes to us applying our job, doing our task. And if they do happen to get something, we got to let it go, our mindset and go on to the next play.” 

On Tennessee LB Edwin Spillman making his debut against Kent State, how has progressed since fall camp

“Still very good. He’s definitely coming along and growing. Exactly what you want from a young player. The one thing that he does not lack, he does not lack the physicality. And that’s what you want in your linebackers, to where if you say run through the wall, I know where 13 is going, there’s going be a hole in the wall, and that’s exactly what you want. And just as young players, you’re always trying to teach them in the understanding of just the schematic things that you want. So seeing him grow and have a guy like Keenan Pili, having (Spillman) under his arm, it’s awesome. And he’s actually reaping some of the benefits of that.”

On Tennessee linebacker Jalen Smith, what he’s done to earn playing time 

“The biggest thing Jalen has done, he’s been consistent. When he has a task to do, he can go apply the job that’s needed on that particular call within the defense. The other thing that he’s done is he’s really grinded during the spring, during the summer and during the fall camp of just making sure that he knows exactly everything that’s going on within the schematic structure of the defense. So when he’s out there, he’s not going to be deficient. And he works sufficiently in all of his movements. And as a young player, he’s still developing, so it’s not perfect just yet. It’s still going to be what we would call kind of poetry in motion, as as he’s still trying to paint his pitcher as a young player. But we’ve definitely been pleased with how he’s been able to be consistent on the football field. And at the point of attack he’s been able to make his plays and make his tackles.”

On the keys behind a Tennessee linebacker having good eyes

“One of the best things to deal with when it comes to your eyes, number one, is just knowing that they have to be disciplined in the correct spot prior to the ball being snapped and when the ball is snapped. And I think that’s the one thing that we work on a lot of time is going to be us more in just the visionary portions of the game. Knowing what you can anticipate is going to happening, what’s going to happen. Did it happen? You got your confirmation because your eyes are in the correct spot. Now you can be able to go play fast. And I think that’s one of the things that our young men, to a whole group, they’ve been really able to encompass that when it comes to our eye discipline. And that’s probably one of the reasons why we’ve been have experience a lot more success on the field.”

On Edwin Spillman making his debut and the reaction from Tennessee’s other linebackers

“Well I couldn’t settle the guys down on the sideline. Number one, because when I put Edwin in the game, I didn’t tell him. It was like we were coming off the field, I’m like hey, you’re going in the game. I did not give him one second to think about it. And all the guys on the sideline started going crazy. So every person was looking directly at him. But to see him go out there and play and be effective more than anything, I think we knew physically he could go apply and do all of his jobs. We just wanted to make sure that he could settle down. And that’s kind of what coaching is on our end. Just making sure he can be calm and everything can be slowed down for him. And that’s exactly what you want as a young player, getting the exposure that he got at at that period of time. And we thought it was kind of gonna be a 15-20 snap scenario for him. So he’s on course to growing with respect to what we want from him.” 

On the starting combination of Tennessee linebackers Keenan Pili and Arion Carter

“For anyone gambling, it’s the perfect combination because seven and 11 will always hit pretty good. The one thing that you see from those guys when it comes to leadership and preparation, that’s why that combination is really, really, really good. And I would, in my opinion, just kind of saying it, it’s definitely for sure one of the best combinations in the country. If you look at their production for playing, it will definitely speak for itself. They do a great job in the preparation when you talk about being the gym rats, the guys in the building, they’re here early in the morning, late at night, watching film, studying, preparing, getting the information on to the next to the teammates, the next group of guys who are going in. They’re exactly what you want. And then when you push play, you talk about two guys that play fast together, that’s exactly what you want in your room. And we’ve been very pleased to see them continue to go in and from our standpoint. When we’re getting into SEC play, we still have to continue to take steps and rise in our performances.”

I realize it flies in the face of all that is good and holy but, especially since my wishes seem to have very little impact on the fucking world, I would not be heartbroken for Texas to hand both OU and Georgia their first losses of the season in consecutive weeks. But if the comet hits Norman, that’s fine, too. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Tennessee football ticket price hike in 2025 to help pay players in revenue sharing era - Knox News

Spoiler

The University of Tennessee will increase football ticket prices and the required donations that accompany them by an average of 14.5% in 2025 with most of the new cost going to a “talent fee” to pay players.

On Tuesday, UT informed season-ticket holders of the price hike via email, along with a video of athletics director Danny White explaining the purpose of the move.

Revenue sharing for athletes is coming to college sports as early as next year.

The richest schools will opt in by funding an estimated $22 million pool to pay athletes directly and about another $5-10 million to fund additional scholarships. The remaining schools could be left in the dust.

“We’ve come a long way in the last few years. In this new era, it’s going to get a lot more expensive,” White told Knox News. “But there’s also going to be a closer relationship between resources and competition than there ever has been before. And our biggest asset is our fan base.”

Here’s the breakdown of the average 14.5% price increase of tickets at Neyland Stadium in 2025:

• Initial average increase of 4.5% per seat on single-game tickets and season tickets plus donations. Some will be higher, some lower. That increase accounts for UT’s rising costs for construction, food, travel and other athletic department expenses.
  • An additional 10% increase per seat on all single-game tickets and season tickets plus donations as a “talent fee” to fund the revenue-sharing pool for athletes coming as early as 2025.

Season ticket renewals will begin Thursday, and the renewal deadline is Feb. 27, 2025. UT is offering a 10-month payment plan to help fans absorb the cost increase.

UT already doubled student ticket prices from $10 to $20 this season, and they’ll go up to $25 in 2025.

Paying Tennessee players, extra scholarships could cost $30 million

The details of revenue sharing aren’t known yet because they’re contingent on the settlement of the House v. NCAA federal antitrust case, which is still amid negotiations. Revenue sharing could go into effect as early as July 2025.

But generally, schools will have the option of funding up to 22% of their annual revenue, or about $22 million, to pay athletes. It could work sort of like a salary cap for college sports, but that structure is also murky.

All SEC and Big Ten schools are expected to opt in to the revenue-sharing model, and some schools from weaker conferences will attempt to keep pace.

Paying athletes for their name, image and likeness could still be a factor in landing and retaining top players. But NIL’s place in a revenue-sharing model is uncertain.

The cap on scholarships also will rise as early as July 2025. Football can go from 85 scholarships to 105. Baseball can go from 11.7 scholarships to 35, and so on.

Many schools won’t be able to fund those extra scholarships unless they drop some sports.

For schools like UT that are opting in, it will require about $30 million annually to both fund revenue sharing and additional scholarships. That’s where UT's ticket price hike comes in.

“It’s really a $30 million-plus math problem,” White said. “We’re not just offloading it to our fans. We are asking them to help us with a portion of it.”

How ticket price hike will fund portion of player pay

UT estimates the 10% ticket price increase for a “talent fee” will account for $7.5 million, or about one-third of the annual $22 million revenue-sharing pool to pay athletes.

The university is tapping other revenue streams to keep pace with the richest schools in this new pay-for-play era of college football.

The Tennessee Fund raised $139.7 million in 2023-24, the best year in UT athletics fundraising history. That mark has increased more than $100 million in the past four years since White was hired.

And UT has landed lucrative corporate sponsorships, such as the Pilot branding rights deal on Neyland Stadium. That has helped fund facility renovations and restock the athletic department coffers for this new arms race in college athletics.

Danny White believes resources produce winning

That revenue surge recently yielded White a contract extension and raise to become the highest paid AD at a public university in the country. His pay increased to at least $2.75 million with the same 5% annual increase from his original contract.

White believes resources produce winning, and his track record at UT reinforces that philosophy. So it's no surprise that he'll lead UT into the revenue-sharing era in college sports.

In 2023, UT athletics had its highest operating revenue in history at more than $200 million, exceeding the previous record by almost $50 million. And the Vols have won at a staggering level alongside those soaring revenues.

In 2023-24, UT finished third in the Learfield Director’s Cup, the highest in school history, and captured its third straight SEC All-Sport title. It was one of two schools in a power conference to have every sport reach the NCAA postseason or a bowl game.

In March, UT men’s basketball made the Elite Eight for the second time in program history. In June, Vols baseball won its first national championship at the College World Series, and Tony Vitello was rewarded with a new contract that made him the highest paid college baseball coach in the nation.

And UT football is ranked in the top 10 for the second time in the past three seasons under coach Josh Heupel, whom White hired.

UT is among hottest tickets in college football

White said UT ticket prices are comparable to competitors in the SEC and nationally, and demand is high for the Vols.

UT sold out its 70,500 season tickets for the second straight season and the third time in the past 23 years. And there’s a waiting list of almost 15,000 fans showing interest in season tickets, White said.

The Vols have posted 15 consecutive sellouts. That’s especially notable considering Neyland Stadium's capacity of 101,915 makes it the sixth-largest college stadium in the country.

Last season, UT led the SEC in total home attendance (713,405) and average home attendance (101,915), ranking third and fourth, respectively, in the nation.

“We have a waiting list of 15,000. So if we were about cold-hearted business, we would probably be a lot more aggressive with our price points,” White said. “But this is college athletics, and we have a real passionate fan base.

“We don’t take these decisions lightly. We work hard to try to thread the needle between generating the revenue we need but also being fair and reasonable.”

1 hour ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

Rocky top has played the one of the weakest schedules so far.

NC State probably looked like a decent ACC opponent when Tennessee got them on the schedule (and they were ranked in the preseason) but the Wolfpack has turned out to be hammered dogshit so far. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/17/2024 at 11:32 AM, Doc Daneeka said:

Where does throwing to Cook up 42-7 in the 4th fall on the class scale? To be clear, I’m not opposed and I understand why, but not everyone sees it that way. There are plenty of people who saw Sarkisian’s continuing to press into the 4th quarter the same way you see what Tennessee did. 

I don’t care. Teams and fans already hate us. I hope we hang 60 on every team from year on out except OU (127).

1 minute ago, lilMAC25 said:

I don’t care. Teams and fans already hate us. I hope we hang 60 on every team from year on out except OU (127).

Oh, I don’t care, either, I just think it’s disingenuous sometimes. I don’t think Sarkisian wants to run anyone’s nose in it — though he’ll do it, as Tech and Oklahoma State saw — but he’ll keel putting up points if that’s what he think he needs to do to get his guys good experience. 

5 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Oh, I don’t care, either, I just think it’s disingenuous sometimes. I don’t think Sarkisian wants to run anyone’s nose in it — though he’ll do it, as Tech and Oklahoma State saw — but he’ll keel putting up points if that’s what he think he needs to do to get his guys good experience. 

Totally picking nits, but I wish he’d do it more.

Trey Owens needs reps.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Totally picking nits, but I wish he’d do it more.

Trey Owens needs reps.

The way he talked, he kind of intended to last week. Unless things go off the rails tonight, I’m pretty sure he will. 

One of the things that annoys me is putting in the backup just to hand off. Run the damned offense. May have cost Brown a national championship. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

There’s no guarantee with Gilbert. 

Even with Gilbert and the pick six to close the first half we were still down only 3 with 6 to go.

Had he broken squints in correctly during the season instead of trial by fire vs Bama in the national championship game we definitely would have stood a much better chance.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

Even with Gilbert and the pick six to close the first half we were still down only 3 with 6 to go.

Had he broken squints in correctly during the season instead of trial by fire vs Bama in the national championship game we definitely would have stood a much better chance.

Yes. That’s why I said “may have.” “Definitely would have stood a much better chance “ != “guaranteed.” And is an example of why it annoys me that backups aren’t put in to run the offense. 

Also let's be clear Mack Brown was an absolute QB fucking moron.

Obviously Colt McCoy was a massive win and he deserves credit but the rest were straight losses.

Simms over Applewhite

Having to have Tim Brewster beg to sign Vince Young

Gilbert over Luck

RG3 as safety

Manziel as safety

Its almost impossible to suck and miss that bad

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Pimphand said:

Obviously Colt McCoy was a massive win and he deserves credit but the rest were straight losses.

Simms over Applewhite

Gilbert over Luck

RG3 as safety

Manziel as safety

Brown's UNC team is currently down 11 pts, at home, at the end of the 1st qtr, against James Madison despite gaining 251 yards.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Brown's UNC team is currently down 11 pts, at home, at the end of the 1st qtr, against James Madison despite gaining 251 yards.

Down 63-38 to JMU

4 hours ago, Pimphand said:

Simms over Applewhite

Gilbert over Luck

RG3 as safety

Manziel as safety

Simms>>Applewhite.

[pulls pin, chunks grenade, and ducks]

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/17/2024 at 10:32 AM, Doc Daneeka said:

When you sign a contract with these cupcakes for early season games, you write this in the contract...

"For your $1.5 million, you have to be ok with us running our normal offense late in the game when we are up by 50 points as a tune-up for our real opponents."

6 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Down 63-38 to JMU

Simms>>Applewhite.

[pulls pin, chunks grenade, and ducks]

I agree with this. Outside of ou Simms was a very good QB. The love for Applewhite is bizarre. Sure, he was solid, but he wasn't great by any measure. 

The only nice thing I will say about the Vols is their campus is beautiful. 

26 minutes ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

I agree with this. Outside of ou Simms was a very good QB. The love for Applewhite is bizarre. Sure, he was solid, but he wasn't great by any measure. 

The only nice thing I will say about the Vols is their campus is beautiful. 

Did you watch any part of the 2001 Big 12 Championship game?

Did you watch the Holday Bowl?

Simms was the better QB but Applewhite was the better College QB

On 9/18/2024 at 9:03 AM, Pimphand said:

image.thumb.png.82463e93a70ba2eb63c2e0188806fc33.png

Nice SOS by Ohio State and the Vols.

I normally would root for Tenner to beat the brakes off the Sooners but their fans have proven to be so annoying this has pretty much become a meteor game.

The SEC is going to feature lots of those with OU, Ark, & A&M out there as well.

ND with the #22 ranked schedule is hilarious m

24 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

As the only Vol fan on here let me say I come in peace and deserve support. Fuck Choklahoma

My wife was supposed to go to this game.  A couple of her friends flaked, so we're going to the Arkansas/Tenn game in 2 weeks.  Props to you, my wife, and several of my best friends if y'all win.  Most of the rest of the Vols can f off.

My wife was supposed to go to this game.  A couple of her friends flaked, so we're going to the Arkansas/Tenn game in 2 weeks.  Props to you, my wife, and several of my best friends if y'all win.  Most of the rest of the Vols can f off.

You have to give me credit. I didn’t miss a home game for 15 years until Butch’s last year. I would be in Norman right now but I have an Ironman next Sunday. I still want to party with you one day.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

You have to give me credit. I didn’t miss a home game for 15 years until Butch’s last year. I would be in Norman right now but I have an Ironman next Sunday. I still want to party with you one day.

Oh hell yeah.  I want to hear how the Ironman goes.  Good luck.

7 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

Half or full?