Mass Shootings

Nice Guy Eddie

26 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Whether someone's horse got shot?

He is literally a horse vet.  Oh, and a Major Colonel in the AF with time on the ground in Falujah.

EDIT:  sorry, forgot the promotion

Edited by jimmyjazz

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

That makes no sense - our AF doesn't have any horse cavalry divisions.

This is true.  They also struggle to hire MDs, so they reach out to others and hire them as "medical officers".

(I know you're just being sarcastic, but it actually came as a surprise to me when he joined up WAY out of school.)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Oh shut the fuck up for once in your life.  He is highly connected in the area, he travels all around to area farms.

No offense, but I'm with Helobious on this one (yikes). Your initial post was just a weird way of saying, "it sounds like it's worse that what's being reported."

Had you said, "I have a veterinarian friend who works in the area and is highly connected. The families are being told [this], and some of the doctors he knows have been called in," then that would be pertinent.

• Hook 'Em 6

The kids who CNN are talking to are no doubt running on adrenaline. But what strikes me is they don't seem as shaken up as I'd imagine.

I'm sure the weight and reality of what just happened to them today will hit them later but they almost seem resigned that this is perfectly NORMAL, almost expected.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

No offense, but I'm with Helobious on this one (yikes). Your initial post was just a weird way of saying, "it sounds like it's worse that what's being reported."

Had you said, "I have a veterinarian friend who works in the area and is highly connected. The families are being told [this], and some of the doctors he knows have been called in," then that would be pertinent.

The reason I didn't say that is that (as I pointed out) I'm reading between some lines.  He's a pretty stoic dude.  He's not texting me on the scene video.

Y'all can just forget that I posted, I don't give a flying fuck.  RIP to those kids.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

I'm sure the weight and reality of what just happened to them today will hit them later but they almost seem resigned that this is perfectly NORMAL, almost expected.

If you have or are connected to school age kids over the age of 10 or so, maybe ask them "so, do you think that getting shot at school is something that actually might happen to you?"  The answers are...incredibly sad.

FT_18.04.18_TeensGuns_MajorityofUSteensw

My own kids related to me the fact that it was matter-of-course for them and their peers to assess each classroom for escape routes and shelter/blocking points.  Just a casual thing they did as a matter of routine.  When my daughter explained to her peers at a (non-US) university that she continued to do so even in her college lecture halls, they were legit shocked.  Her American friends just nodded along with her.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 6

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

Winder falls in the  GA 10th Congressional district - here's their proud house Rep

I'm sure if Mike Collins was at that school with his rifle that he's so horny for that it's more important than kids being alive, he would've taken down the shooter instantly while getting off spectacular hip shots. 

Just now, mdmost said:

I'm sure if Mike Collins was at that school with his rifle that he's so horny for that it's more important than kids being alive, he would've taken down the shooter instantly while getting off spectacular hip shots. 

Need an update:  how many civilian good guys with guns have actually taken down a mass shooter?  There was the dude who chased and killed a guy who had slaughtered a bunch of church-goers, was that Sutherland Springs?  Anyone else?

CNN reporter from trauma hospital in Atlanta said there were two Apalachee shooting victims there, one adult who was in surgery for a gunshot wound to the stomach and another he only said was described as a "child."

13 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, C-Man said:

The kids who CNN are talking to are no doubt running on adrenaline. But what strikes me is they don't seem as shaken up as I'd imagine.

my own kids walked through the room, saw the news, and moved on as though it was just any other kind of boring, day-to-day news story.

because it fucking is.

• Rage+1 7

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Need an update:  how many civilian good guys with guns have actually taken down a mass shooter?  There was the dude who chased and killed a guy who had slaughtered a bunch of church-goers, was that Sutherland Springs?  Anyone else?

Seems like there was a guy who took out a mall shooter before he could kill more than a few people. Then some armed church ushers/security took out some dude before he could kill anybody. That's about it, I think.

Just now, C-Man said:

Seems like there was a guy who took out a mall shooter before he could kill more than a few people. Then some armed church ushers/security took out some dude before he could kill anybody. That's about it, I think.

If you're talking about the outlet mall in Allen I think that was an armed security guard.

Just now, DDD Dad said:

If you're talking about the outlet mall in Allen I think that was an armed security guard.

I looked it up -- it was in Indiana. Good samaritan at mall shot and killed a guy with multiple weapons and 100 rounds of ammo after he killed three people.

Allen was indeed a security guard or off-duty cop.

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

CNN: Sources said Apalachee HS received a phone threat this AM before shooting. Caller warned of shootings at five schools, said Apalachee would be first

Cue (or is it queue?) the lawyers.

Edited by DDD Dad

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

CNN: Sources said Apalachee HS received a phone threat this AM before shooting. Caller warned of shootings at five schools, said Apalachee would be first

Sounds fake. Shooters have told people about attacks before they happened before. No one has ever phoned the school before attacking.

2 minutes ago, Satchel said:

We can no longer blame just the shooters. We’ve decided to live like this and until we get tired of the gun violence, people will continue  to be shot to death for no good reason.

Well, WE haven't decided to live this this. WE have no say over it because THEY give more of a shit about keeping every firearm and bullet readily available to THEM than if kids can live their lives. THEY don't want even a modicum of gun control because any control might lead to them losing the guns they are so horny to own. I will never understand our gun culture and why that right supersedes all others. What other nation on this planet cares so much about guns as we do?

• Hook 'Em 4

25 minutes ago, C-Man said:

My guy, they do drills for school shootings like they do for tornados and fires. They just assume it's gonna happen and there's nothing that can be done about it but hope our kids are the ones coming home on two feet. 

• Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Well, WE haven't decided to live this this. WE have no say over it because THEY give more of a shit about keeping every firearm and bullet readily available to THEM than if kids can live their lives. THEY don't want even a modicum of gun control because any control might lead to them losing the guns they are so horny to own. I will never understand our gun culture and why that right supersedes all others. What other nation on this planet cares so much about guns as we do?

The “we” I’m referencing includes the millions of us who watch our children being murdered in schools and continue to vote into office the people who facilitate their murder. To suggest that we have no say is a cop out in my opinion. Texans can vote out a gun loving Ted Cruz, but will we?

4 minutes ago, Satchel said:

The “we” I’m referencing includes the millions of us who watch our children being murdered in schools and continue to vote into office the people who facilitate their murder. To suggest that we have no say is a cop out in my opinion. Texans can vote out a gun loving Ted Cruz, but will we?

No because the majority this state do not care that other people's children die if it means they have to give up access to a firearm or ammo. We've shown over and over that our state doesn't care. It didn't care after Uvalde. It never will unless it's their children that die. Honestly, the most we saw the right get outraged about a shooting was the Covenant School in Tennessee because the shooter was trans. Our state's reaction to tragedy is to make more guns readily available and you can carry them out in public on full display. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Satchel said:

Yeah, I'm with @mdmost on this.  "Texans" aren't a monolithic demographic.  I'm not taking any responsibility for asshats who vote for other asshats who have pew pew boners.

• Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

"We definitely need to do something about 'mental health' in this country.  And by 'mental health', I mean the crazy shit that other people do that might suggest that they could spiral into a murderous frenzy, but none of the same shit that I do.  Because, rest assured, I'm a super-stable genius, worthy of trust with my weapons designed to do maximum tissue damage - but with absolutely no obligation to safeguard my weapons or provide any proof of training / skill with my pew-pew toys self-defense equipment because, as we all know, 2nd Amendment / 'shall not be infringed' / 'Don't tread on me'  ..."

/ "Reasonable" GQP folks after latest school shooting  

• Rage+1 2

14 minutes ago, mdmost said:

No because the majority this state do not care that other people's children die if it means they have to give up access to a firearm or ammo. We've shown over and over that our state doesn't care. It didn't care after Uvalde. It never will unless it's their children that die. Honestly, the most we saw the right get outraged about a shooting was the Covenant School in Tennessee because the shooter was trans. Our state's reaction to tragedy is to make more guns readily available and you can carry them out in public on full display. 

Most Republicans wouldn't even change if it were their own kids that were killed by a school shooter. It's modern day child sacrifice that they see as necessary to maintain their way of life.

• Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

CNN reporter on scene said a 16-year-old girl talked to her a little while and showed her a text she sent to her mom once she realized she was hearing gunshots in her school.

The text read: "I know I haven't been a perfect daughter. I'm sorry."

Jesus. Fucking. Christ. We must be better than this.

Oh no, my man. We are SO much worse than this. A thousand times worse. Our depravity and indifference are so complete that we ONLY pretend to care about shootings that involve schools and public places now. Thats a few hundred deaths a year. But around 40-50k people a year will die from gunshot. A little over half of those will be suicide which we don't care about, and all but a tiny fraction of the rest will be regular, non active shooter murder, which we we also don't care about.  Oh, and only around 3% of the gun deaths will be from an assault rifle, but assault rifles will be involved in about 2/3 of active shooter incidents, which gives us the McGuffin we need for our play about caring. 

Everyone agrees that mental health issues and domestic violence are deeply involved in gun homicide and that the vast majority of all it could be either mitigated or avoided altogether with a combination of red flag laws, waiting periods, age restrictions, safe storage requirements, and (dare I even mention it) a modicum of first-world mental health treatment. 
But WE DON'T CARE! 

So let's all gather around and watch "progressives" and "conservatives" jerk each other off about AR-15s. Beats giving a fuck, right? Thoughts and prayers, though. 

39 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I heard the shooter was a Venezuelan drag queen. 

The shooter was WOKE

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, C-Man said:

According to this girl, the shooter was a student at the school. (That was the logical conclusion but it hasn't been confirmed by legacy media yet that I've seen.)

My prediction: the triple Freedom Combo:
1) Student known to be dealing with mental health or anger issues
2) Student had access to unlocked/unsecured weapons
3) Police have visited the house before/are aware of violence or mental health issues in the home

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I care about suicide.  My wife's nephew committed suicide, with a gun.  I don't think they should be "counted" in violent gun deaths, though.  Sure, I suppose no access to guns might prevent SOME suicides, but a person suffering that type of depression will likely find another way.  Not always, though.

I also care about murder.  Increase your "assault rifle" metric by 2X-3X and it starts to look a lot more ominous.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Oh no, my man. We are SO much worse than this. A thousand times worse. Our depravity and indifference are so complete that we ONLY pretend to care about shootings that involve schools and public places now. Thats a few hundred deaths a year. But around 40-50k people a year will die from gunshot. A little over half of those will be suicide which we don't care about, and all but a tiny fraction of the rest will be regular, non active shooter murder, which we we also don't care about.  Oh, and only around 3% of the gun deaths will be from an assault rifle, but assault rifles will be involved in about 2/3 of active shooter incidents, which gives us the McGuffin we need for our play about caring. 

Everyone agrees that mental health issues and domestic violence are deeply involved in gun homicide and that the vast majority of all it could be either mitigated or avoided altogether with a combination of red flag laws, waiting periods, age restrictions, safe storage requirements, and (dare I even mention it) a modicum of first-world mental health treatment. 
But WE DON'T CARE! 

So let's all gather around and watch "progressives" and "conservatives" jerk each other off about AR-15s. Beats giving a fuck, right? Thoughts and prayers, though. 

I like you man, and I think you bring the closest thing we've got to a "middle ground" on this. But sensible gun control laws like you mention are passed all the time in blue states. It's not just a circle jerk in places where they have the votes to enact change. Yes, AR-15s aren't the only problem, but "progressives" would take ANY gun control win at the federal level if it were possible. But it's not. And there's a reason it's not.

• Hook 'Em 7

14 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I care about suicide.  My wife's nephew committed suicide, with a gun.  I don't think they should be "counted" in violent gun deaths, though.  Sure, I suppose no access to guns might prevent SOME suicides, but a person suffering that type of depression will likely find another way.  Not always, though.

I also care about murder.  Increase your "assault rifle" metric by 2X-3X and it starts to look a lot more ominous.

Two of my uncles committed suicide, both with handguns, and while I take your point I assure you the witnesses would have counted them as violent gun deaths.
They also owned assault rifles. Do you know what they didn't have? Quality mental healthcare. Would that have helped? I don't know, they were married to my aunt. But what I do know is that the assault rifles they owned didn't factor into their deaths. 

13 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I like you man, and I think you bring the closest thing we've got to a "middle ground" on this. But sensible gun control laws like you mention are passed all the time in blue states*. It's not just a circle jerk in places where they have the votes to enact change. Yes, AR-15s aren't the only problem, but "progressives" would take ANY gun control win at the federal level if it were possible. But it's not. And there's a reason it's not.

Dude. I hear you, but at the Federal level the bolded line above is simply not true.

* blue states and Florida, where gun death rates are lower than Oregon, Pa, and Illinois.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1