Mass Shootings

Nice Guy Eddie

25 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Oh no, my man. We are SO much worse than this. A thousand times worse. Our depravity and indifference are so complete that we ONLY pretend to care about shootings that involve schools and public places now. Thats a few hundred deaths a year. But around 40-50k people a year will die from gunshot. A little over half of those will be suicide which we don't care about, and all but a tiny fraction of the rest will be regular, non active shooter murder, which we we also don't care about.  Oh, and only around 3% of the gun deaths will be from an assault rifle, but assault rifles will be involved in about 2/3 of active shooter incidents, which gives us the McGuffin we need for our play about caring. 

Everyone agrees that mental health issues and domestic violence are deeply involved in gun homicide and that the vast majority of all it could be either mitigated or avoided altogether with a combination of red flag laws, waiting periods, age restrictions, safe storage requirements, and (dare I even mention it) a modicum of first-world mental health treatment. 
But WE DON'T CARE! 

So let's all gather around and watch "progressives" and "conservatives" jerk each other off about AR-15s. Beats giving a fuck, right? Thoughts and prayers, though. 

QFMFT.

And yes, having restricted access to a firearm has been shown to reduce suicide rates.  Sure, if someone is dead-set on committing suicide, they'll find a way.  But if you make it a bit harder, make it less convenient....that pause, and consideration, can break the sequence.  It's not a hypothetical, it's been shown to work.

Accidental gun deaths in the home are a thing too -- safe storage laws would help with that too.

All the things Bozo listed, on a national level, would materially reduce ALL gun violence, not just random school shootings.  So, yeah....we don't care about anyone or any of it.  We are fucking completely broken on the issue of gun violence.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

QFMFT.

And yes, having restricted access to a firearm has been shown to reduce suicide rates.  Sure, if someone is dead-set on committing suicide, they'll find a way.  But if you make it a bit harder, make it less convenient....that pause, and consideration, can break the sequence.  It's not a hypothetical, it's been shown to work.

Accidental gun deaths in the home are a thing too -- safe storage laws would help with that too.

All the things Bozo listed, on a national level, would materially reduce ALL gun violence, not just random school shootings.  So, yeah....we don't care about anyone or any of it.  We are fucking completely broken on the issue of gun violence.

Regarding suicide, it's not just the availability of a gun, but the likelihood that a suicide attempt with a gun results in death vs the alternatives. People are much much much much more likely to survive other kinds of suicide attempts than they are an attempt with a gun.    

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Two of my uncles committed suicide, both with handguns, and while I take your point I assure you the witnesses would have counted them as violent gun deaths.

You take my point but argue against it.  Gotcha.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Regarding suicide, it's not just the availability of a gun, but the likelihood that a suicide attempt with a gun results in death vs the alternatives. People are much much much much more likely to survive other kinds of suicide attempts than they are an attempt with a gun.    

Resumé

Razors pain you;
Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you;
And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren’t lawful;
Nooses give;
Gas smells awful;
You might as well live.

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We should post billboards of the hundreds of text exchanges like that (probably thousands by now, actually) all over the highways at every NRA convention, and next to every GQP congressman's office. 

Not that it would do a damned bit of good.  You could gun down a GQP gun nut's kid in front of them, and it would just be God's will and a price they willingly pay for....whatever the fuck this is that they think is so great.

It would be a lot less work and just as effective to just light that money on fire.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Quick people on the right, let's spin up all the other reasons this kid killed 4 people at school other than because he had access to a firearm. We have to protect the firearms at all costs. And go. Mental illness, yeah that's a good one. We don't know his mental state but it's the easiest thing to blame this on while being the most complex problem that has no real fix but it's a good way to deflect. Violent video games, music, and television, yeah that's a good one. Lack of religion in schools, another great one because God has never caused people to do terrible things to other humans. Breakdown of the family unit, well we don't know what his family life was like but fuck it, it's better than blaming guns.

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Just now, mdmost said:

Quick people on the right, let's spin up all the other reasons this kid killed 4 people at school other than because he had access to a firearm. We have to protect the firearms at all costs. And go. Mental illness, yeah that's a good one. We don't know his mental state but it's the easiest and most complex problem to use that has no real fix but it's a good way to deflect. Violent video games, music, and television, yeah that's a good one. Lack of religion in schools, another great one because God has never caused people to do terrible things to other humans. Breakdown of the family unit, well we don't know what his family life was like but fuck it, it's better than blaming guns.

Unlocked doors. You missed that one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, royiv said:

Dammit. That and needing to arm teachers. Of course, we have to worry if they're grooming the students or feeding them woke ideology but I'm sure we can trust teachers to be packing heat in a highly volatile environment like a school.

5 minutes ago, royiv said:

Schools must be hardened(meanwhile we can’t fucking fund the schools as it is) & WE NEED ARMED TEACHERS.  

keep the checklist going.  We will hear most of these, in the rest of today’s news cycle.

Edited by HalfSack Horn
No need for my extra opinion here

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

Quick people on the right, let's spin up all the other reasons this kid killed 4 people at school other than because he had access to a firearm. We have to protect the firearms at all costs. And go. Mental illness, yeah that's a good one. We don't know his mental state but it's the easiest thing to blame this on while being the most complex problem that has no real fix but it's a good way to deflect. Violent video games, music, and television, yeah that's a good one. Lack of religion in schools, another great one because God has never caused people to do terrible things to other humans. Breakdown of the family unit, well we don't know what his family life was like but fuck it, it's better than blaming guns.

I get the sense they realize they don't even have to try anymore. Just let it alone and the new cycle shortens and we move on to the next thing.

I also get the sense that Dem strategists do not see an upside in leaning into gun law reform anymore, and will also let the pitch go by.

We are not serious people. Pubs realized this in the '90s, and I think it took seeing nothing ever matter w/r/t Dotard for the Dems to finally see this.

The generation that grew up with school shootings will have to be in charge before the needle moves on this one.

• Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, safe sex said:

And it really fucking sucks for you if you do survive

This has always needed to be a HUGE part of the discussion. 

The trauma these students experience from a shooting at their school...what do we think the count is now? Tens of thousands of kids? Hundreds of thousands?

Having to cope with that type of tragedy in the formative years of your life and brain? Truly horrific. And it will create generational trauma. 

And that's just school shootings. Add in mass shootings, suicide, good old fashioned gun violence, and accidental deaths. 

Just letting our society and future rot. It's unbearable. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

5 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Mike Collins is rightfully getting ratioed. Hard.

What steps has Mike taken to "get God into Schools?"

Since that was his proposed solution to school shootings, I assume, at the least, he's proposed legislation seeking to do that?

18 minutes ago, mdmost said:

DEI has to be at the top of the list. 

• Rage+1 1

37 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Just letting our society and future rot. It's unbearable. 

When you understand that we've made the choice to treat Americans as op-ex, not cap-ex, it all makes sense.

We SHOULD have a perspective that our people are our greatest resource, and we should invest in them.  Instead....they are seen only as a source of revenue for certain enterprises and individuals.  And if all you are is a source of revenue, then the revenue number per head damned well better beat the expense number per head.  Otherwise, you need to be axed.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, I'm with @mdmost on this.  "Texans" aren't a monolithic demographic.  I'm not taking any responsibility for asshats who vote for other asshats who have pew pew boners.

My problem with being resigned  to living like this is it means gun violence will only get worse. Think for a minute, where’d we be if gun sense proponents played the long game as have pro life advocates. Keeping their eyes on the prize paid off in ways that are incalculable. The millions of silent people who won’t fight to change our culture bear some responsibility for the violence.

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, I'm with @mdmost on this.  "Texans" aren't a monolithic demographic.  I'm not taking any responsibility for asshats who vote for other asshats who have pew pew boners.

My problem with being resigned  to living like this is it means gun violence will only get worse. Think for a minute, where’d we be if gun sense proponents played the long game as have pro life advocates. Keeping their eyes on the prize paid off in ways that are incalculable. The millions of silent people who won’t fight to change our culture bear some responsibility for the violence.

• Like 1

The only way to solve this is to put someone like Kamala and Walz in the White House and get the Democrats in charge of both houses of Congress. Texas changing simply isn't happening. People in this state are fine with dead kids if it means they have to sacrifice the ability to get as many guns as they want. Uvalde showed us that. That can happen and everyone with an R next to their name wins their races. The people in charge of this state simply do not care if kids die. They cannot give one inch on gun control, not even sensible gun control. Oh and then look at our Supreme Court which is making it even harder to enforce gun laws and executive orders like Trump's bump stock ban. Millions of us are trying to vote in people who will do something. There's just more in this state who don't want it to change unless it's some nebulous item that they can fix like "mental health" or "lack of God in schools" or "making schools more secure". They want to address everything but the guns and how easy they are to get. Is the state offering to pay for every school to be more secure? Hell no. They think arming teachers is the answer. They are fine with kids dying. It's an easy calculation for them. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

my own kids walked through the room, saw the news, and moved on as though it was just any other kind of boring, day-to-day news story.

because it fucking is.

I saw the headlines and literally forgot about this until now. 

32 minutes ago, mdmost said:

The only way to solve this is to put someone like Kamala and Walz in the White House and get the Democrats in charge of both houses of Congress. Texas changing simply isn't happening. People in this state are fine with dead kids if it means they have to sacrifice the ability to get as many guns as they want. Uvalde showed us that. That can happen and everyone with an R next to their name wins their races. The people in charge of this state simply do not care if kids die. They cannot give one inch on gun control, not even sensible gun control. Oh and then look at our Supreme Court which is making it even harder to enforce gun laws and executive orders like Trump's bump stock ban. Millions of us are trying to vote in people who will do something. There's just more in this state who don't want it to change unless it's some nebulous item that they can fix like "mental health" or "lack of God in schools" or "making schools more secure". They want to address everything but the guns and how easy they are to get. Is the state offering to pay for every school to be more secure? Hell no. They think arming teachers is the answer. They are fine with kids dying. It's an easy calculation for them. 

Until they pack SCOTUS, nothing matters. Dems can control 2/3 of the gov't, but until the justices are replaced or watered down, every single gun law written by a dem controlled legislature will be struck down. 

• Hook 'Em 7

10 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Until they pack SCOTUS, nothing matters. Dems can control 2/3 of the gov't, but until the justices are replaced or watered down, every single gun law written by a dem controlled legislature will be struck down. 

Bolded for actual legal accuracy.  As I've mentioned before, read Bruen.  Thomas wrote a decision that says in considering a law regulating firearms, if a functionally identical law didn't exist in 1789, then the law violates the 2nd amendment.  Lower courts have followed that reasoning, striking down any number of gun laws that people long thought were just fine (age limits on gun ownership?  NOPE, unconstitutional.  Banning someone with a live domestic violence order from possessing a gun?  NOPE, unconstitutional.)

There can be no new gun laws.  None.  Zero.  Zilch.  And in fact, probably 80% of our EXISTING gun laws can and will be struck down following the reasoning of Bruen.  The funny thing is, the SCOTUS recently had the chance to apply Bruen, and had to say "yeah, we know what it says, but that's clearly not what we actually meant" (meaning they had to ignore the plain language of their own precedent when the ink was hardly dry on that precedent)....but to top it off, it was an 8-1 decision with Clarence saying "the fuck I DIDN'T mean what I said -- I meant EXACTLY THAT."  Bruen is the most wide-reaching, indefensible, awful SCOTUS decision of my lifetime, and yes, I'm aware of Dobbs.  Bruen is indefensible under any modality of constitutional interpretation -- it's fucking idiotic and nonsensical to an extreme that would be embarrassing from a district court.  And here we are, with it enshrined as a SCOTUS decision.

This fucking timeline.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Your hourly reminder that Laura Loomer is a piece of shit.

GWqwGKnWwAA_rfY?format=jpg&name=medium

Lemme fix that:

Have you noticed that there are school shootings fucking everywhere, all the fucking time?  Swing states, not swing states, before elections, after elections, on salisbury steak day, on not salisbury steak day....

That's the fucking problem, you hideous fucking ghoul.

Why in the fuck did this country choose to elevate the literal worst fucking people among us?  Why?  Why is the GQP doing this?  Their "thought leaders" is a band of about 1,000 people who would be unwelcome in my home for a goddamned neighborhood potluck.  Loathsome creatures, all of them.

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I care about suicide.  My wife's nephew committed suicide, with a gun.  I don't think they should be "counted" in violent gun deaths, though.  Sure, I suppose no access to guns might prevent SOME suicides, but a person suffering that type of depression will likely find another way.  Not always, though.

I also care about murder.  Increase your "assault rifle" metric by 2X-3X and it starts to look a lot more ominous.

I offer my sincere sympathy for the loss of your wife's nephew.

Having a handgun in the home is associated with a much higher risk of suicide (8x more likely for men; 35x more likely for women). Yes, I'm sure severely depressed people can and often will find another way but as this study points out:

“Suicide attempts are often impulsive acts, driven by transient life crises,” the authors write. “Most attempts are not fatal, and most people who attempt suicide do not go on to die in a future suicide. Whether a suicide attempt is fatal depends heavily on the lethality of the method used — and firearms are extremely lethal. These facts focus attention on firearm access as a risk factor for suicide especially in the United States, which has a higher prevalence of civilian-owned firearms than any other country and one of the highest rates of suicide by firearm.”

image.thumb.png.9ee49ef231b36ae28dd75aee33325b6a.png

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2020/06/handgun-ownership-associated-with-much-higher-suicide-risk.html

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

cartoon-nra-okay-youre-safe.jpg

• Rage+1 4

4 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

My prediction: the triple Freedom Combo:
1) Student known to be dealing with mental health or anger issues
2) Student had access to unlocked/unsecured weapons
3) Police have visited the house before/are aware of violence or mental health issues in the home

Appears to have checked off at least two of boxes. Was investigated by the FBI in 2023 and passed off to local law enforcement.

• Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Your hourly reminder that Laura Loomer is a piece of shit.

GWqwGKnWwAA_rfY?format=jpg&name=medium

Yeah, because swing states are heavily populated, and there's a school shooting somewhere in this country about twice a fucking week.  So, yeah, there is a shooting in a swing state within 2 months of an election every time.  You're trying to insinuate something when it really isn't any more complicated than simple probability, you fucking hack demon.

Edited by TexArcher

9 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Appears to have checked off at least two of boxes. Was investigated by the FBI in 2023 and passed off to local law enforcement.

TRIPLE FREEDOM C-C-COMBO:

Colt Gray, who was 13 at the time, and his father were then interviewed by the sheriff’s office. The father said he had hunting guns in the house but his son did not have unsupervised access to the weapons.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I'm going to say checks all three boxes.  There has to be something going on in the head if you're going to shoot people.  

• Hook 'Em 1

What’s awesome about that FBI tweet is all the MAGAs/Trumpers attacking the FBI for not doing its job.
No, you fucknuts, they did exactly the job they are ALLOWED to do. Limited by the steadfast refusal of your guys to allow any laws that would allow the authorities to act on such threats (eg, red flag laws). The answer is often “yeah, we all knew this person would eventually go on a spree, but the law gives us no tools to stop them before they actually go out there and shoot up a school.” Indeed, if the authorities TRIED to take action, these exact same people would be screaming about the 2nd amendment and “muh freedoms.” Fuck all those people to hell.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2