Mass Shootings

Nice Guy Eddie

9 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

1. People are generally very bad at assessing risk.

2. American high schools are extremely safe.

3. The back seat of an automobile is an exponentially more dangerous space.

4. A kid given ibuprofen or Tylenol had more risk exposure.

5. We absolutely need to address the problems here.

6. But some reality based calibration is also good. 

You argue with yourself in this post.

True statements, sentences 1, 5, 6.

Straight up wrong: 4. Look at the number of exposures and TELL ME DEATH RATE OF tylenol or ibuprofen last year. Include anaphylactic death if you want (shouldn't because you can't predict it with first exposure, but bias to your opinion. 

Equating 2 with 3 and 4 creates a false equivalency. There are absolute benefits to society for driving and over-the-counter med use. There are steps that have been taken to mitigate the risk of driving and meds.

There is NO REASON there should be ANY RISK OF DEATH in school attendance. YOU are bad at assessing risk. YOU need some reality-based calibration.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, quigley said:

You argue with yourself in this post.

True statements, sentences 1, 5, 6.

Straight up wrong: 4. Look at the number of exposures and TELL ME DEATH RATE OF tylenol or ibuprofen last year. Include anaphylactic death if you want (shouldn't because you can't predict it with first exposure, but bias to your opinion. 

Equating 2 with 3 and 4 creates a false equivalency. There are absolute benefits to society for driving and over-the-counter med use. There are steps that have been taken to mitigate the risk of driving and meds.

There is NO REASON there should be ANY RISK OF DEATH in school attendance. YOU are bad at assessing risk. YOU need some reality-based calibration.

Back of the envelope, there is something like 8.2 million person-years of exposure to in school settings per year in this country. That doesn't count the adults in that setting and is just high school numbers, not bringing the elementary and middles numbers into the picture. These school shootings are totally fucked up. But if you honestly can't agree to at least 2 and 3, this is not a reality based exchange.  

Back of the envelope, there is something like 8.2 million person-years of exposure to in school settings per year in this country. That doesn't count the adults in that setting and is just high school numbers, not bringing the elementary and middles numbers into the picture. These school shootings are totally fucked up. But if you honestly can't agree to at least 2 and 3, this is not a reality based exchange.  

The problem you’re not considering is the risk rate vs what the risk rate SHOULD be.

We know there is a risk when we get into a car. We weigh that taking into account the utility of the activity vs what the reasonable risk should be. And “reasonable” is important. We’ll still react negatively to an unreasonably dangerous car.
But more than that, the risk of, say, handwashing dishes, or watching TV, or getting a snack from the pantry, should be near-zero. There are certain activities that have, and about have, near-zero risk. When one of those activities…like “sitting in math class” sees ANY material deviation from that, it cannot sit right with a rational human. If TV remotes suddenly started exploding, killing 50 people a year, or packages of Goldfish were tainted, killing 50 people, we would CORRECTLY react strongly and remedy the shit outta things.
Is not that “going to school” is a huge statistical risk. It’s that it should functionally be a ZERO risk. And it is not.
Same goes for “watching a movie in Aurora, Colorado,” or “dancing at a gay nightclub,” or “attending an outdoor music festival in Vegas.” The deviation of actual risk compared to what the risk SHOULD be is fucking significant.
So I damned well understand our collective reaction. But yes, we should also seek gun law reform as to measures that would pay off by saving thousands of lives (safe storage laws are such low-hanging fruit, for example).
Also. Not instead of.
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Pause for a moment and realize that you are asserting that this is the single intractable issue that isn’t consumed with symbolic identity signifiers promoted by entrenched interests. Do I have you right?

again- if you could take all the AR-15s off the street by tomorrow morning, it’s a rounding error, because math. 

If what you purport was true, we would have red flag laws, universal background checks and safe storage laws. Instead you have fatty pos repping you both sides-ing common sense gun regulations. 

• Hook 'Em 1

People are generally very bad at assessing risk. American high schools are extremely safe. The back seat of an automobile is an exponentially more dangerous space. A kid given ibuprofen or Tylenol had more risk exposure. We absolutely need to address the problems here. But some reality based calibration is also good. 
Well, when 7 people died from tainted Tylenol, they started putting foil over the opening and tamper-proof lids.

7 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

It’s hard to claim efforts are theater when you have near 100% effective rate everywhere outside the US

It's pretty easy when you are surrounded by people here talking about the impending fascist overtaking of this country and watching others around the world that don't have 2nd amendment protections getting the fucking heel ground into their forehead. 

Edited by Anastasis

2 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

We weep for the oppressed in England, France, Austria, Switzerland and so on and so forth. 

All in due time. Switzerland is a fun example though. Remember travels as a child and our swiss hosts. Shit looked like an uzi to me. What did I know. I just liked the cheese board. 

44 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

All in due time. Switzerland is a fun example though. Remember travels as a child and our swiss hosts. Shit looked like an uzi to me. What did I know. I just liked the cheese board. 

You might check into what the current regs for gun ownership (and the types that are permitted to whom) are before making any such comparisons.

https://www.ch.ch/en/safety-and-justice/owning-a-weapon-in-switzerland#which-weapons-require-which-permits

Editing for clarity and transparency, because the previous link only leads to a portion of the stipulations. Here's one to the full list of things to think about: https://www.ch.ch/en/safety-and-justice/owning-a-weapon-in-switzerland

Edited by bolverk

8 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Back of the envelope, there is something like 8.2 million person-years of exposure to in school settings per year in this country.

So, back of envelope, people were roughly half as likely to be killed or injured in a school shooting as they were to die from acetaminophen poisoning in 2023. How many were poisoned by school nurses?

Last year, firearms were the leading cause of death among US children.

Ana, behind his keyboard:

image.jpeg.d02f172f3db20e3f4aa77671942fb5cd.jpeg

7 hours ago, royiv said:

If what you purport was true, we would have red flag laws, universal background checks and safe storage laws.

We would? Fascinating. What would the legislative process be, and how would that set of reforms stay clean as it moves through?

8 hours ago, royiv said:

Instead you have fatty pos repping you both sides-ing common sense gun regulations. 

Wait, your position is that I’m wrong because of internet rep? Touch grass.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

10 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Didn’t they have like mass graves filled with indigenous children? Fucking Canadians. 

Actually no remains have ever been found.  The "mass graves" was big news, but the "we ain't found shit" part of the story has received little if any exposure from the media.  

GWz9-L1l-Xc-AA1nhu.jpg

• Fuck You 2

12 hours ago, Anastasis said:

People are generally very bad at assessing risk. American high schools are extremely safe. The back seat of an automobile is an exponentially more dangerous space. A kid given ibuprofen or Tylenol had more risk exposure. We absolutely need to address the problems here. But some reality based calibration is also good. 

It's like you don't see that this problem is only getting worse and not better? What is the number of deaths/incidents when your risk assessment changes to "ok, NOW we should probably do something"?

5 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

It's like you don't see that this problem is only getting worse and not better? What is the number of deaths/incidents when your risk assessment changes to "ok, NOW we should probably do something"?

He’ll decide action is needed exactly the moment most other people decide it isn’t.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, royiv said:

If what you purport was true, we would have red flag laws, universal background checks and safe storage laws. Instead you have fatty pos repping you both sides-ing common sense gun regulations. 

Haha. Your cuntiness is always good for a pick me up.  Get fucked. 

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Not sure how you get that from that post. There has been lots and lots and lots of discussion related to gun control measures on this board. In those I have supported a wide range of common sense gun control reforms.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Imagine being a grown man and deciding every day “yup, I’m gonna continue to make my whole deal just being a contrarian asshole about every possible topic.”

Imagine being a grown man and deciding to whine on the internet almost every day about someone else on the internet. 

17 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Kids killed/maimed by lawn darts < kids killed by cars.   So let's do nothing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Was it ever reported how the 14-year-old kid in Georgia was able to get an AR-15 into school undetected? Duffle bag or something?

Dude.  It's Georgia.  Land of MTG.  Pretty sure "AR variant" is on the "necessary school supplies for the 2024-25 school year" list in that state.  It was carried in via his backpack's built-in rifle sleeve.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Was it ever reported how the 14-year-old kid in Georgia was able to get an AR-15 into school undetected? Duffle bag or something?

honestly they break down into pretty small components if you pop out the two take-down pins that hold the upper onto the lower, I could definitely see it just carried in a duffle

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

honestly they break down into pretty small components if you pop out the two take-down pins that hold the upper onto the lower, I could definitely see it just carried in a duffle

So he leaves the classroom, presumably to go to the bathroom, goes and gets it out of his locker and assembles it in the hallway or the bathroom and tries to take it back to his classroom?

BTW, my kid is a junior in HS and they don't even have lockers any more.

Just now, C-Man said:

So he leaves the classroom, presumably to go to the bathroom, goes and gets it out of his locker and assembles it in the hallway or the bathroom and tries to take it back to his classroom?

Yes. Did you hear the account from his classmate? She said he left the room and she was by the door when he came back. The door was locked and she said she saw the gun so didn’t open it for him. Then she said he turned and fired off 10-15 shots. The kids in the classroom all ran and hid in the corner. 

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Yes. Did you hear the account from his classmate? She said he left the room and she was by the door when he came back. The door was locked and she said she saw the gun so didn’t open it for him. Then she said he turned and fired off 10-15 shots. The kids in the classroom all ran and hid in the corner. 

Yeah, thought that's what happened. Just wondering how you get an AR inside without anybody noticing. Maybe it was broken down and reassembled once he went to retrieve it like @Captainant theorizes.

41639c9b9d02ef2447d397aa79ed358c.jpg

Just got this email from my daughter’s school district. So you’ve got a guardian that’s so mind bogglingly irresponsible that they leave their bullets (and almost certainly the gun with said bullets) where the kid can just fucking pick them up and take them without you knowing? I can’t even begin to wrap my head around someone being that fucking stupid.

Separately, what the fuck kind of sentence is “further updates will be provided if additional details are revealed.”? There sure as fuck better be additional details, the very least of which better be an outline of exactly what steps were taken to investigate if there are additional bullets and/or a gun in one of 3 schools, when you have a list of exactly which kids were on the bus to each of those schools.

• Rage+1 1

These are terrorist attacks, random, senseless and meant to strike fear. And one faction of our society and numerous special interests actively prevent “reality-based calibrations.”

6 hours ago, heso said:

Just got this email from my daughter’s school district. So you’ve got a guardian that’s so mind bogglingly irresponsible that they leave their bullets (and almost certainly the gun with said bullets) where the kid can just fucking pick them up and take them without you knowing? I can’t even begin to wrap my head around someone being that fucking stupid.

Separately, what the fuck kind of sentence is “further updates will be provided if additional details are revealed.”? There sure as fuck better be additional details, the very least of which better be an outline of exactly what steps were taken to investigate if there are additional bullets and/or a gun in one of 3 schools, when you have a list of exactly which kids were on the bus to each of those schools.

Now now Heso, they've respectfully requested your "understanding and support."

7 hours ago, heso said:

Kemp ISD apparently shut down all schools today after an unconfirmed threat against multiple Texas school districts today.

36 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Can I retroactively go back and retract every bad thing I said -- or thought -- about the 'Ol Ball Coach?

• Hook 'Em 2

83f17cc30acbea7f4713bb1eef0283c6.jpg

One of the first comments under the Spurrier rant.

Hell, no GW didnt say that fucking shit. “include their own government”. You mean the President who put down armed and pitchforked citizen rebellions, as was his duty under the constitution, said that shit?!?

Can one of you X warriors set this mfer straight?!?

Depending on Spurrier’s business interests or financial needs, if any, he may be forced to apologize or clarify his statement. If some southerners hear that he is anti-gun or woke, he could potentially lose a lot of money.

both sides like to accuse each other of cancel culture but in reality they both do it.