• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

1 hour ago, Mr. Drummond said:

I think the cybertruck is pretty ugly, but at least its different.     How many white crv/mazda/rav4s/highlander/hyundai/kia shitty crossovers can you look at?    Cars used to be fun.

Signed - guy who drives an orange raptor, a metallic blue old 911 and my wife drives a green land rover defender to the mall and HEB (when open of course).  

I always drove beater cars for work (‘58 Oldsmobile, ‘60 and ‘64 Ramblers, ‘78 Buick), but upgraded when I retired to a new S-10 pickup, followed by a new 2000 Cherokee.
Then a 2019 Civic coupe (with 14,000 miles) which I just gave to a grandson for his 21st birthday. 
Lastly this 2024 Civic hatchback that is a “luxury” ride to me.

IMG_5464.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

I always drove beater cars for work (‘58 Oldsmobile, ‘60 and ‘64 Ramblers, ‘78 Buick), but upgraded when I retired to a new S-10 pickup, followed by a new 2000 Cherokee.
Then a 2019 Civic coupe (with 14,000 miles) which I just gave to a grandson for his 21st birthday. 

IMG_5464.jpeg

So your second car into retirement was a 2000 that was bought new...Holy shit 

Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

IMG_5464.jpeg

I can’t believe you drove a ‘64 Rambler until 1978. That make died before I started driving, but my dad had a couple. He indicated that reliability and longevity were not Rambler qualities. 

first car I remember riding in, I was about 3.5-4yo.  My mom's brown 1978 Buick LeSabre sedan.  

Texas A&M fired their horrible coach mid-season in 1978, and they finished 7th outta 8 in hoops.  

Back in a time when College Station was considered 'cosmopolitan' for East Texas.  Back when we measured that brown tank's fuel economy not by the miles per gallon, but how many cigarette butts would accumulate in the two front ashtrays.  Usually 40 had to accumulate (2 packs) which meant it was time to stop of and refuel, and buy more Winstons.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Drummond said:

I think the cybertruck is pretty ugly, but at least its different.     How many white crv/mazda/rav4s/highlander/hyundai/kia shitty crossovers can you look at?    Cars used to be fun.

Signed - guy who drives an orange raptor, a metallic blue old 911 and my wife drives a green land rover defender to the mall and HEB (when open of course).  

you had me until you said raptor - the tribal tattoo of pickup trucks. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

I always drove beater cars for work

Every car I've ever bought has been a beater. I love beaters, they are awesome. You don't have to give a shit about anything. Get banged up? Who cares. Shit breaks? The entire car only cost $500, throw the shit away and buy another beater. I drive them till they literally fall apart. Never had a bill for a car note in my life. Cars are just a thing that gets me from point A to point B, so long as it has air conditioning and something I can install a tape deck into for a tape deck adapter, I'm fine.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

IMG_5464.jpeg

Were the Ramblers the 4 door whose front seat would fold down as flat as a bed? I think they had metal brackets attached to the frame of the back seat for support as they laid down. 

Every car I've ever bought has been a beater. I love beaters, they are awesome. You don't have to give a shit about anything. Get banged up? Who cares. Shit breaks? The entire car only cost $500, throw the shit away and buy another beater. I drive them till they literally fall apart. Never had a bill for a car note in my life. Cars are just a thing that gets me from point A to point B, so long as it has air conditioning and something I can install a tape deck into for a tape deck adapter, I'm fine.

James Dalton enters the chat!
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Crapinon said:

Were the Ramblers the 4 door whose front seat would fold down as flat as a bed? I think they had metal brackets attached to the frame of the back seat for support as they laid down. 

Both of mine were 2 door Ramblers. 
So ugly, my students were either afraid to vandalize them or else felt sorry for me.

2 hours ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

Driving a beater is so liberating.  You don't worry about anyone messing with it, and no one ever parks too close.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Crapinon said:

Next I caught a ride with a gamblers wife
She had a brand new laid down Rambler
She stopped outside of town
Laid the rambler down
Said she sure could dig it if I rode her

--Delbert McClinton, "B-Movie Boxcar Blues"

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

i don't have time to fuck with secrant but someone absolutely needs to ask in every forum - are they really actually po'ed at us already? - what have we done in our first 28 days in the league that's pissed off anyone?
aggy propaganda and revisionist history was more effective than we thought it would be. Yes, that's it In a nutshell.

Saw one in the wild the other day for the first time and could not believe how fucking ugly the thing was.  Pictures do not do it justice.  It's the most god awful thing I've ever seen.  I said to my 11 year old, could you imagine paying so much money for something so hideous?  He agreed, but also thought it was kind of cool.  He's 11 so I gave him a pass.
I passed 2 in a mini-convoy on I-20 a couple weeks back. Beyond the ugly they are somehow simultaneously smaller AND larger than they appear in pictures. That's the real engineering triumph.

aggy propaganda and revisionist history was more effective than we thought it would be. Yes, that's it In a nutshell.

Meh, the real sec fans have figured out aggy. The hate is from talking heads.

I said it in another thread, but what Oregon did at the B1G media days by putting a 65’ duck in the river was cool and fun. If Texas would have done something similar at sec media days it would have been ridiculed for 25 hours a day.

14 hours ago, Deej said:

I never see anything in the bed of most regular pickups. 

At least not the ones driven by white folks.

Well call it a lesson learned, or maybe I'm stupid but I will NEVER be without a pickup if I can help it. I've only been "pickupless" once in my life from 2001-2005, and I'll be damned if I didn't need one every time I turned around.  I guess it's an extreme case of "better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Well call it a lesson learned, or maybe I'm stupid but I will NEVER be without a pickup if I can help it. I've only been "pickupless" once in my life from 2001-2005, and I'll be damned if I didn't need one every time I turned around.  I guess it's an extreme case of "better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I bought an expedition XL in 2012 because kids and sold it in 14. Back to crew cab trucks that I drove since the 90s. I have 2 gas cans and a 25 gallon sprayer for weeds at my lease in there right now for Saturday. Can’t do that in a suv.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Since just 2010, I’ve owned an older Silverado, a Sierra, down to a Tacoma, while my Company car was a shitty Chevy car, and finally back to owning a Ram truck. I hated driving the co car, as when one is used to driving higher (visibility wise), it’s tough to go down to a lower level.

I’m one of those truck owners that outside the 6-10 trips to Lowe’s or HD and etc, there might be five other times annually that I really use a truck bed. I just like riding higher, appreciate the bigger engine, and the fact that I have the truck bed if I need it.

Hook’em!!!

• Hook 'Em 3

11 hours ago, SurlyBDR said:

Thousands of miles and a lifetime ago, I had the pleasure of meeting Gordie Howe at a hockey tournament I was playing in. GREAT guy. My dad asked him for any advice he was willing to pass on to me. Howe said "you have two eyes and a mouth and you already know which one you need to keep shut." 

When I see Zuhn and Weigman running off like this, it's very clear that, at a minimum, they just haven't thought this through. And that's probably stating the situation very generously.

Then again, as amazing as Howe was, he probably set NHL player salaries back by a decade by kind of timidly refusing to open his mouth and complain about team owners not paying fair wages so maybe I'm wrong. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matuka said:

Three constants in life:  death, taxes and aggy screwing up simple shit.   No doubt an aggy printer screwed the pooch and the aggy assigned to proofread in the AD failed to catch the error.

Hey, glass houses.  My season tix spelled our QB's name Quinn Uwers.

• Hook 'Em 1