• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

0fc72b6b2085ba95628075928588d9314d95bbe4

image.thumb.png.c7589c39da88a90d70afb2d4e7589fd5.png

Let’s be clear: no one would accuse me of being a glass-half-empty fan of Texas A&M football. Though this is a notoriously beaten-down fanbase, I still try to look on the bright side of things.

Even so, I don’t think it’s a personal idiosyncrasy that I feel like there’s a rosy outlook for this season. I think we can objectively say that the Aggies have rebounded in a big way from where the program was near the end of Jimbo’s tenure, and are now positioned well for a big year.

Still, there are fans who are reluctant to buy in—many under the flag of “I’ll believe it when I see it.” As I’ve said, with how beaten-down many Texas A&M football fans feel, you have to expect that to a certain degree. However, I really, truly think there’s more than just an outside shot for this to be a huge year for the Aggies.

I’ve enumerated a lot of reasons over the buildup to the season why I think this is the case, but let’s try to distill this down to just three. Without further ado, let’s jump in.

Three reasons for wild optimism in Texas A&M football: Combo of Weigman and Klein
This is kind of just a subset of “better coaching across the board,” but I think this is the area where we see the most marked improvement. Klein’s system at Kansas State produced a top-10 offense in points per game (notably, ahead of purported schematic mastermind Steve Sarkisian in the same conference), and the second-best red zone offense in the nation at producing touchdowns.

The Aggies, meanwhile, were at 25th in points per game—really, not terrible—but a dreadful 82nd in red zone touchdown percentage. The increased efficiency that Klein can bring in both of these areas, but particularly the latter, would be a boon enough, even before you consider the upgrade that he has at the signal caller spot.

Conner Weigman is a nuclear weapon waiting to be unleashed on the rest of the conference. We’ve seen flashes of his brilliance before, but in a better system (and hopefully behind a better offensive line), there’s some really, really exciting potential here.

If these two can come together to produce the kind of offense that their individual capabilities would suggest, it may just be over for the rest of the conference. Forget vying for an at-large playoff spot—the Aggies would be squarely in contention for the SEC title and an automatic bye.

Three reasons for wild optimism in Texas A&M football: Defense could be conference’s best
Not enough people are talking about just how good this defense for Texas A&M football will be. Think about the jump the Aggies took from 2017 to 2018, when Elko first arrived in College Station. The rush defense was an immediate strength, even though the personnel in the defensive backfield were more of a question mark.

I have far fewer questions about the defensive backfield this year. Charles Oliver, Debione Renfro, and Myles Jones don’t quite stack up to what the Aggies have at that spot this year. I think there’s an artificial sense of concern based on the fact that we don’t know who is starting; that unknown, though, is based on the fact that we have a surplus of good options rather than a scarcity.

If the Aggies rolled out Will Lee and BJ Mayes, I’d feel confident. If they went with Donovan Saunders and Dezz Ricks, I’d feel confident. This is a true “cream rises to the top” scenario at corner, and I think it will end up as a position of strength for the Ags.

That’s not to mention the safeties. Bryce Anderson has one of the spots on lock, and it’s beginning to look like Dalton Brooks is taking the other position by storm. That’s going to be a deadly and athletic tandem roaming the field for the Aggies.

Taurean York is a star. The other linebacker spot could go to any of Daymion Sanford, Scooby Williams, or Solomon DeShields—again, all great options.

And I don’t need to say much at all about the defensive line. Scourton, Turner, Hicks, Regis, Stewart, Sylla, Howell, White, Dindy… The list goes on. This defense has the potential to be the best in the entire conference, including the Georgia Bulldogs. I can’t wait to see the Wrecking Crew return to Kyle.

Three reasons for wild optimism in Texas A&M football: Schedule lines up well
This is yet another topic that I’ve written on several times. The schedule for Texas A&M football is a plus for them this year—even though it’s still tough, it’s a plus relative to every other year they’ve been in the SEC.

Part of that is the absence of either of the top two teams in the conference—Alabama and Georgia—on their slate. Of course, some have Texas up there above Alabama, but we’re being serious here.

All of the Aggies’ toughest games are at home. Not only that, but they’re reasonably spread out: Notre Dame is the opener (in just 9 days!), Missouri is the first week of October, LSU the last week of October, and Texas the last game of the regular season.

The road trips won’t be easy—they never are in the SEC, unless you’re talking about Vanderbilt—but they’re all against teams who should be a cut or two below the Aggies: Auburn, South Carolina, Florida, and Mississippi State.

The byes are placed well, too: right before the trip to Starkville, and right after the trip to Columbia, with the home game against LSU right in between those. There are no back to back conference road trips. This should help the Aggies tremendously: if they just win the games they’re supposed to win and go .500 in the big home games, they’re 10-2.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

The road trips won’t be easy—they never are in the SEC, unless you’re talking about Vanderbilt—but they’re all against teams who should be a cut or two below the Aggies: Auburn, South Carolina, Florida, and Mississippi State.

Clickety clack mofos. Teams that should should be a cut or two below the Aggies:

Since joining the SECX3, TAMU is:

6-6 vs. AU.  https://www.winsipedia.com/games/texas-am/vs/auburn
9-1 vs. USCe.  https://www.winsipedia.com/games/texas-am/vs/south-carolina
3-3 vs. UF.  https://www.winsipedia.com/games/texas-am/vs/florida
6-6 vs. MissSU. https://www.winsipedia.com/games/texas-am/vs/mississippi-state

This is one of the problems with Aggies.  If they would just accept their mediocrity, they could be happy.  But their little brother complex constantly has them shooting off at the mouth about how much better than everybody they are, especially mean ol’ tu.  They certainly don’t let facts get in their way.

Edited by nnm
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

image.thumb.png.c7589c39da88a90d70afb2d4e7589fd5.png

This guy is quickly becoming my favorite aggy honk. The unbridled optimism and fish camp exuberance are going to make it so fun watching him try and maintain his attitude in October. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

https://aggieswire.usatoday.com/2024/08/23/texas-aggies-football-athletic-director-trev-alberts/

Texas A&M athletic director Trev Alberts 'hopeful' that Lone Star Showdown becomes annual

“It hasn’t been determined and I don’t want to speak for Chris (Del Conte) but I want it to be played every year. I think it’s important to Texas, Texas high school football and needs to be played every year. There’s some nuance to that,” Alberts said Thursday. “How many conference games are we going to play in the SEC? How does it impact the College Football Playoff? When you start getting into different schedule models, many of us ‘have more than one traditional rival.’ What you don’t want to do is get to a point where you’re asking Texas ‘who you want your rival to be? Oklahoma or Texas A&M?’ I’m hopeful that we can get there but I want this game played every year.

“We started thinking about how we can advance this, really grow the rivalry and make it as special as it can be. It’s a three-year commitment with mutual agreements and potential to extend it even further. We want some stability and continuity in the showdown so I think that’ll be really important.”

There is no way this game isn't played annually. The SEC needs to get it's shit together and either switch to 9 conference games or figure out a way to protect rivalries. 

45 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

As long as we play OU annually, i dont give a shit if we play aggy every year

Course in the years we don't play, we'll have a steady diet of  "ATM clearly would have stomped Texas" , and "Snakey manipulated the schedule for his sip buddies to avoid a beatdown"  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Olin So butthurt... "Do you get a sense that this is a respectful rivalry game? 😋 

Question starts around 2:50 mark

I don’t totally understand his angle with the question.

It’s a somewhat insulting question to his own fanbase’s athletic director.

Is he wanting Trev to demean the competitive nature of a second tier rivalry?

6 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

I don’t totally understand his angle with the question.  It’s a somewhat insulting question to his own fanbase’s athletic director.   Is he wanting Trev to demean the competitive nature of a second tier rivalry?

Olin is saying the Longhorns aren't respectful of aggy...

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Olin is saying the Longhorns aren't respectful of aggy...

giphy.gif

Ah, Jesus those oxygen thieves have no limit. I can’t imagine some local Austin sports website reporter asking CDC about “rivalry respect.” TexGags is in a class of its own but..

Crimony…

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

"What you don’t want to do is get to a point where you’re asking Texas ‘who you want your rival to be? Oklahoma or Texas A&M?’ I’m hopeful that we can get there but I want this game played every year."

We're already there.   The idea that aggy can cause the question to be asked is part of their delusional worldview where they perceive themselves to have agency in a matter above, outside and beyond their control, influence or understanding.

Here's our terms, Trev.   They are not negotiable.  You will agree to these terms in total, in writing, publicly, verbatim, signed by John Sharpe and sealed with the shit of his talkiebirds.

1. Release Looch from bondage and end the information embargo.  You are ruining our clickity-clack, which is the only thing of value we get in return for the 1/3rd AUF payment.

2. All Burnt Orange tickets to games at pyle, whenever they are played, are in the northwest half of the stadium.  For as long as pyle stands.  At least the northwest half.

3. Regardless of 8 or 9 league games, you cancel all d2 contracts for future games after '24, and state in writing that aggy will never schedule a d2 cupcake ever again.

4. aggy will play an OOC road game against D1 opposition every year.   NEUTRAL SITES DO NOT COUNT.  aggy must visit the home stadium of a d1 OOC opponent EVERY YEAR.

5. Full, anal, financial transparency.  You will enable and allow the best forensic auditors to crawl up your ass and die.  Your chart of accounts, all instruments, transactions, debits, credits, payments and receipts.  All of it.  Filed monthly with Deloitte.  And paid for with a permanent engagement garnished from your AUF payment.

6. While we are on the subject, you will name Deloitte as the manager and auditor of all AUF disbursements.

7. In summary, as a public institution, we get to see where you spend our money.

8. Immediate removal of all aggy branding from all institutions funded by the taxpayers of the State of Texas, including the State Forest Service and the Division of Emergency Management.

9. Within 5 years, all aggy infesting TxDoT will be granted other employment on the state dole.  We don't care what the fuck they do, but get them the fuck away from our roads.

10. Within 5 years, aggy will institute admission standards.  Any.

11. aggy will create and maintain forever female cheer and pom squads for football.  The fastest way to rehabilitate your culture is to show the world that you actually do have some quality ass on campus.

12. And finally, while on the subject of your campus, water your fucking grass, you dipshits.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Harmon looks like a geeky character from some 80s sitcom but I can't quite put my finger on the movie or character.  It's irritating me that I can't make the connection. 

Are we sure this person (prounoun/pronoun) is actually real and not an AI-generated construct?

16 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

"What you don’t want to do is get to a point where you’re asking Texas ‘who you want your rival to be? Oklahoma or Texas A&M?’ I’m hopeful that we can get there but I want this game played every year."

We're already there.   The idea that aggy can cause the question to be asked is part of their delusional worldview where they perceive themselves to have agency in a matter above, outside and beyond their control, influence or understanding.

Here's our terms, Trev.   They are not negotiable.  You will agree to these terms in total, in writing, publicly, verbatim, signed by John Sharpe and sealed with the shit of his talkiebirds.

1. Release Looch from bondage and end the information embargo.  You are ruining our clickity-clack, which is the only thing of value we get in return for the 1/3rd AUF payment.

2. All Burnt Orange tickets to games at pyle, whenever they are played, are in the northwest half of the stadium.  For as long as pyle stands.  At least the northwest half.

3. Regardless of 8 or 9 league games, you cancel all d2 contracts for future games after '24, and state in writing that aggy will never schedule a d2 cupcake ever again.

4. aggy will play an OOC road game against D1 opposition every year.   NEUTRAL SITES DO NOT COUNT.  aggy must visit the home stadium of a d1 OOC opponent EVERY YEAR.

5. Full, anal, financial transparency.  You will enable and allow the best forensic auditors to crawl up your ass and die.  Your chart of accounts, all instruments, transactions, debits, credits, payments and receipts.  All of it.  Filed monthly with Deloitte.  And paid for with a permanent engagement garnished from your AUF payment.

6. While we are on the subject, you will name Deloitte as the manager and auditor of all AUF disbursements.

7. In summary, as a public institution, we get to see where you spend our money.

8. Immediate removal of all aggy branding from all institutions funded by the taxpayers of the State of Texas, including the State Forest Service and the Division of Emergency Management.

9. Within 5 years, all aggy infesting TxDoT will be granted other employment on the state dole.  We don't care what the fuck they do, but get them the fuck away from our roads.

10. Within 5 years, aggy will institute admission standards.  Any.

11. aggy will create and maintain forever female cheer and pom squads for football.  The fastest way to rehabilitate your culture is to show the world that you actually do have some quality ass on campus.

12. And finally, while on the subject of your campus, water your fucking grass, you dipshits.

Hard pass on 11. If they ever resemble a quasi normal school, they might break their cycle of futility.

6 hours ago, Dewey said:

If you ask Texas who they want as a rival, it's ou, it's that easy. Gomer can't ever make up their mind if they want to play Texas. At first they ran off, then threw a fit when we joined and now they want the game, in all sports - every year? Fuck off, at least your AD recognizes how valuable a Texas game is on your schedule.  Nope, if it's one rival that we get every year, it's ou and it's not close. Go try and kiss up to lsu or settle for Arkansas or Miss State. Fuck off. 

we've covered this before but the full timeline goes something like this:

they cried when we tried to go the pac without them ('91?)

they cried when we tried to protect them by negotiating on their behalf to take them west with us ('05-'06)

they cried when we tried to share HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS on a network with JUST THE 2 OF US

the prior 2 were their justification for trying to destroy the rig12 on their way out

they cried when they moved out and we wouldn't agree to continue fucking at their convenience and at our cost, i.e. the buyout of 9 OOC games already under contract (notice once again how good they are at spending our money)

they cried to the lege about it, with the idea that the state could mandate the game or it would affect funding..... wait, wut?  yeah, that one died in 48 hours once the realized they were risking exposing the Texas Constitutional Reality that they're officially little brother: "if you don't fuck us, we're going to refuse the AUF payments"....  yeah, that one was full aggy

they cried when cdc got here and said, "okay, we've cleared the OOC hurdles for the most part, let's calendar some games"

they cried like stuck pigs and wounded hyenas when the rest of their league sat silent while they wailed about their gentlemen's agreement, which it turns out they made with themselves

they cried about SITTING BIGBOY NATTYHOLDERS failing utterly and totally, which they have managed to erase, once again, WITH OUR MONEY

what will tomorrow bring?

we wait with baited breath, as the aggy turns

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

they cried when we tried to protect them by negotiating on their behalf to take them west with us ('05-'06)

they cried when we tried to share HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS on a network with JUST THE 2 OF US

the prior 2 were their justification for trying to destroy the rig12 on their way out

they cried when they moved out and we wouldn't agree to continue fucking at their convenience and at our cost, i.e. the buyout of 9 OOC games already under contract (notice once again how good they are at spending our money)

they cried to the lege about it, with the idea that the state could mandate the game or it would affect funding..... wait, wut?  yeah, that one died in 48 hours once the realized they were risking exposing the Texas Constitutional Reality that they're officially little brother: "if you don't fuck us, we're going to refuse the AUF payments"....  yeah, that one was full aggy

they cried when cdc got here and said, "okay, we've cleared the OOC hurdles for the most part, let's calendar some games"

they cried like stuck pigs and wounded hyenas when the rest of their league sat silent while they wailed about their gentlemen's agreement, which it turns out they made with themselves

they cried about SITTING BIGBOY NATTYHOLDERS failing utterly and totally, which they have managed to erase, once again, WITH OUR MONEY

Ŵell said...

10 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Well done, but *bated* breath. 
https://www.vocabulary.com/articles/pardon-the-expression/bated-breath-vs-baited-breath/

IMG_0078.thumb.jpeg.77a4ccad66b9c97ad4b3e291d78d3ddc.jpeg

Edited by nnm
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

https://aggieswire.usatoday.com/2024/08/23/texas-aggies-football-athletic-director-trev-alberts/

Texas A&M athletic director Trev Alberts 'hopeful' that Lone Star Showdown becomes annual

“It hasn’t been determined and I don’t want to speak for Chris (Del Conte) but I want it to be played every year. I think it’s important to Texas, Texas high school football and needs to be played every year. There’s some nuance to that,” Alberts said Thursday. “How many conference games are we going to play in the SEC? How does it impact the College Football Playoff? When you start getting into different schedule models, many of us ‘have more than one traditional rival.’ What you don’t want to do is get to a point where you’re asking Texas ‘who you want your rival to be? Oklahoma or Texas A&M?’ I’m hopeful that we can get there but I want this game played every year.

“We started thinking about how we can advance this, really grow the rivalry and make it as special as it can be. It’s a three-year commitment with mutual agreements and potential to extend it even further. We want some stability and continuity in the showdown so I think that’ll be really important.”

There is no way this game isn't played annually. The SEC needs to get it's shit together and either switch to 9 conference games or figure out a way to protect rivalries. 

I think you have to go to 9 games to protect the rivalries.
  • Hook 'Em 2

image.thumb.png.76d799fd7350d6780baebe7c00c6ae49.png

With the commitment of Jonah Williams today to the Longhorns, Texas A&M football has gone 0-for-2 on five-stars this week after OT Michael Fasusi committed to OU on Wednesday. Worse even than that, Texas A&M football now has zero commitments within the top-10 in-state players.

Of course, it should be said that this is partially tempered by the fact that the Aggies have cleaned up so far out west, notching commitments from three of the top four players in California. And, for whatever it's worth, their top-ranked commitment from in-state, despite being the fourteenth-ranked player in Texas, is still a top-100 guy overall.

But if players were signing on the dotted line today with the spots where they are currently verbally pledged (pending the commitment of Michael Terry III, who looks like he is headed elsewhere), the Ags would go without a single five-star from in the state of Texas in a year where the Lone Star State boasts nine players with that designation.

As things stand, though, the destinations of these five-stars are remarkably disparate. Texas, Ohio State, and Alabama are all tied with two commitments each from that group, with Oregon and OU both notching one. The Ducks could join the Longhorns, Buckeyes, and Tide if Michael Terry elects to go to Eugene.

The tough part is that it seemed like the Aggies led for Jonah Williams, in particular, for a large portion of his recruitment. Indeed, he was predicted to land in College Station by several experts for quite some time. So why the sudden change?

I can't say for sure. What I will say is that, looking at the whole picture, you'd have to believe there's some interesting thought processes going on in Austin when, coming off of a playoff appearance, you are being out-recruited—not only by Ohio State, Oregon, Alabama, etc., but by your in-state rival who is coming off of a 7-6 season.

The loss of Fasusi to OU could have been a catalyst to some big time players in the Longhorn recruiting structure, and they decided to push their chips in with the lone remaining uncommitted top-20 player that hails from Texas. If this is the case, though, then it should be concerning to Longhorn fans just how much time there is from now until signing day.

That, of course, is just speculation—but it is undeniably true that there's a whole season left to play. There's still a lot of recruiting to be done—not only with uncommitted guys, but the committed ones as well. They are not, in fact, signing on the dotted line today.

So no, it's not time to panic. There's quite a few moves left yet to be made on this chess board. We'll just have to see how things shake out come late December.

• Haha 2