• Replies 76.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

When was the last time these two teams have played? 

Something I’ve noticed about A&M, they dont schedule big names for OOC. They schedule OOC—sure—but nothing like Ohio State, Michigan, USC, etc.

11 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Something I’ve noticed about A&M, they dont schedule big names for OOC. They schedule OOC—sure—but nothing like Ohio State, Michigan, USC, etc.

I think they said something like 2002 or thereabouts on CGD this morning.

Edited by royiv
Just checked 2001

Can’t have teams that might beat you.

11 minutes ago, Pancho said:

It's because the SEC! SEC! SEC! is such a grind.

0fc72b6b2085ba95628075928588d9314d95bbe4

We’ve been saying for quite some time tha this would be the best defense this Texas A&M football team sees all year. I think that was borne out tonight, but there were plenty of projections that didn’t come to pass.

ADVERTISING

Namely, the offensive improvement that we all anticipated to see out of this unit, now coached by Collin Klein rather than Jimbo Fisher, didn’t really manifest. Of course, this is maybe the best pass defense in the nation, but the performance when the Aggies had the ball still left a lot to be desired.

It was Conner Weigman who chiefly fell short here, in all honesty. The third-year signal caller, who came in with only eight games under his belt, didn’t really look like the guy we had seen in admittedly limited time in previous years—well, excepting Auburn in 2022.

A shot near the end of the game captured Weigman losing his lunch as he walked back to the sideline. It’s well possible that he was simply ill for the duration of this game, and that’s why his passes were so off the mark.

But that’s the kind of thing you need to work through. And the Aggies almost did—for most of the game, the Ags were leading or right on the cusp. It wasn’t until late that the Irish finally took a two-score lead.

We saw a defense that was no doubt improved over last year’s, yes. But the offense is what the chief issue was for most of last year, and though this was indeed an elite defense, there wasn’t much to sink your teeth into as an Aggie fan. First game jitters, a new system, all the rest could be said, but the fact remains that this was a game that the Ags needed to kick off the Elko era in a big way.

They’re not out of things. The season isn’t over. This was an elite, well-coached opponent. But it’s concerning to note that some of the same issues that seemed to plague this team over the last two years were cropping up throughout this key contest. When it comes down to it, the production wasn’t quite there.

The Ags will have an opportunity to bounce back next week against McNeese before a road trip to Florida in week three. After the performance that the Gators put up today, A&M had better enter week 3 at 2-1.

https://gigemgazette.com/posts/instant-reaction-texas-a-m-football-falls-in-low-scoring-battle-to-elite-nd-defense-01j6n9sgt30f

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

0fc72b6b2085ba95628075928588d9314d95bbe4

Lee Corso picks Texas Longhorns to win national championship, thus ensuring the Texas Longhorns will not win national championship
For anyone who may not know, College Gameday is in Aggieland today for Texas A&M football’s consequential showdown with the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. As you would expect, the fans have shown up and are loud and proud this morning in Aggie park, representing the Aggie fan base well.

If there’s one character in college football media that loves playing to the crowd—in one way or another—it’s Lee Corso. The veteran of the coaching ranks and staple on College Gameday has returned for his 38th season with ESPN: truly a historic run.

Corso, of course, is well-known for his infamous headgear picks on the premier college football morning show. Picking teams is kind of his thing, in other words.

Of course, that doesn’t mean he’s great at it—just that he does it. He came out of the gate swinging this morning on that front, though, leaping forth to let everyone know that he has picks for his final four teams (even though it’s a twelve-team playoff this year). Corso picked Georgia, Ohio State, Texas, and Notre Dame as the last four standing, saying the Longhorns would triumph over Georgia in the national championship.

Of course, judging from recent history, this means that the Longhorns will not even make the national championship, much less win. In 2023, Corso predicted USC to top the Bulldogs—neither made the final four. In 2022, Corso predicted Ohio State over Alabama—neither made the championship.

There are a lot of predictions for the Longhorns to make noise this year, but most are ignoring some of the huge questions down in Austin. T’Vondre Sweat and Byron Murphy were the straw that stirred the drink of that defense last year, and it remains unclear who will replace their production. It’s a complete turnover at receiver as well.

We’ll see how things shake out, of course, but I foresee it being a struggle to reach 9 wins for the Horns this year. With Corso’s prediction on record, now, I feel confident—at the very least—that they won’t be taking home the hardware this year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

0fc72b6b2085ba95628075928588d9314d95bbe447f97c8f3a59dfe3ad4887f5.jpg
Lee Corso picks Texas Longhorns to win national championship, thus ensuring the Texas Longhorns will not win national championship
For anyone who may not know, College Gameday is in Aggieland today for Texas A&M football’s consequential showdown with the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. As you would expect, the fans have shown up and are loud and proud this morning in Aggie park, representing the Aggie fan base well.

If there’s one character in college football media that loves playing to the crowd—in one way or another—it’s Lee Corso. The veteran of the coaching ranks and staple on College Gameday has returned for his 38th season with ESPN: truly a historic run.
Corso, of course, is well-known for his infamous headgear picks on the premier college football morning show. Picking teams is kind of his thing, in other words.
Of course, that doesn’t mean he’s great at it—just that he does it. He came out of the gate swinging this morning on that front, though, leaping forth to let everyone know that he has picks for his final four teams (even though it’s a twelve-team playoff this year). Corso picked Georgia, Ohio State, Texas, and Notre Dame as the last four standing, saying the Longhorns would triumph over Georgia in the national championship.

Of course, judging from recent history, this means that the Longhorns will not even make the national championship, much less win. In 2023, Corso predicted USC to top the Bulldogs—neither made the final four. In 2022, Corso predicted Ohio State over Alabama—neither made the championship.
There are a lot of predictions for the Longhorns to make noise this year, but most are ignoring some of the huge questions down in Austin. T’Vondre Sweat and Byron Murphy were the straw that stirred the drink of that defense last year, and it remains unclear who will replace their production. It’s a complete turnover at receiver as well.
We’ll see how things shake out, of course, but I foresee it being a struggle to reach 9 wins for the Horns this year. With Corso’s prediction on record, now, I feel confident—at the very least—that they won’t be taking home the hardware this year.

Ah, yes, “the straw that stirred the drink,” perfect simile.

The best is where they have decided ND is better than Texas, and their defense is really good.  I’m pretty sure I saw ND w no passing game trying to run between the tackles half the game.  Then when they got on the edge late if foster didnt crash down and make the play their slow LBs and corners got worked.

• Hook 'Em 2

Everything going on tonight with aggy will be gone and over with, an aberration, when the sun comes up tomorrow.  By 10 am the roller coaster will start clicking clacking back up with 11-1 predictions past the “early setback.”  Weigman will be the “warrior” evidently playing while ill.  If at full strength, he would have gone 28-30 with 400 yards passing and 3 TDs, plus one rushing.  Nothing is over!  t.u. will wish they could play half as well as Notre Dame.  45-10 aggy, with the game over by half time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, dinner and a movie with my wife seemed like a good idea at the time, but it appears I have missed some glory.  Did the roller coaster not even make it out of the gate?

There were several wheels that had flat spots.

9 hours ago, Pancho said:

Pancho, all this time and you just now notice thar? I call shenanigans....or sarcasm. 

13 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Bless her little maroon heart.  Her education very obviously didn’t prepare her enough to explain it away, for a very memeable second time now.  Now it’s become a game for Portnoy, so I expect we’ll see more to come. 

I wouldn't worry about her - I'm pretty sure Mike Elko ate her. 

And not in the good way.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1