• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

What military history?

Military history can be found at the Bush Library on campus. The only “connection” to aggy is that he lived in Houston after his political retirement. Why there, I really don’t know? Maybe aggy offered to pay for his Presidential Library and had plenty of free space to build it.

Hook’em!!!
  • Hook 'Em 1

Stupid aggy. Yeah I appreciate actual military history, but aggy ain't my go-to when I want a fix, for obvious reasons. In Texas, the National Museum of the Pacific War in Fredericksburg is the place to go.
ETA: Some of you probably remember it as the Admiral Nimitz museum. Chester Nimitz was from Fredericksburg and later became a pivotal figure in the War in the Pacific. He didn't attend UT, but in 1985 when the USPS created a stamp in his honor, there was a big ceremony at the old, much smaller museum for the commemoration. The museum's curators needed a color guard to present the colors that day, and they didn't go to the Corps of Cadets. Instead they chose the UT NROTC color guard, of which I happened to be a member at the time, to do the honors. We showed up to a crowd of WW2 Navy and Marine Corps veterans and their families who treated us like rock stars ... despite the fact that none of us had ever done anything remotely meaningful the way they had. We were all just in awe and were honored to be there. Probably the coolest thing I was ever involved with as a Midshipman.
:gettingalittledustyinhere:
/csb

The Nimitz WW2 Museum is awesome for a place as small as his hometown of Fredericksburg. They even used to hold “reenactments” about a month or two over the weekends. On a smaller scale, but it has the content of the items you’d see in New Orleans, which I’ve been to 2-3 times. Both of those museums are definitely worth the time to “carve out” for any visitor/tourist.

Hook’em!!!
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

The Nimitz WW2 Museum is awesome for a place as small as his hometown of Fredericksburg. They even used to hold “reenactments” about a month or two over the weekends. On a smaller scale, but it has the content of the items you’d see in New Orleans, which I’ve been to 2-3 times. Both of those museums are definitely worth the time to “carve out” for any visitor/tourist.

Hook’em!!!

Yeah, 100%. Back in 1985, the museum was very small, pretty much limited to the old blue hotel building that's a small fraction of the size of the current facility. A lot of the old hardware that's part of the museum now was already being stockpiled out back in the yard. They told us then that they had big, big plans for expansion, but we had no idea it would ever be what it is now. And yeah, the re-enactments are really well done. It's really a great museum, run by people who care about keeping that history alive.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, linux said:

So I rewatched it looking for when the meme was shown, it really is as hillarious as you would expect from the gomers.

Second to last play of the game

Aggie down 10, wiggy scrambles and throws a lawn dart 5 yards behind their running back safety valve

Elko screams "run the fucking ball!"

They run it and game ends.

Imagine spending the entire game looking like Homer Simpson, then at the last moment blowing up on your OC on national TV because he did not raise the white flag fast enough. Classic gomers.

There was a 4th and 2 late in the game when aggy was down a TD. They tried to throw a quick slant that got jumped and easily broken up. I figured this moment HAD to be in response to throwing it on 4th and short. I gave them too much credit.

16 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Biggest giveaway that the "ags are the nicest fans" note is fake is the last line:  "If you appreciate military history and ever get the chance to visit the campus, I highly recommend it."

So a domer supposedly sends his ag buddy a note that ends with a recommendation that the aggy visit the campus?  Hokay . . .

In fairness, all their buildings are square and brown like a military base.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

For those that don't know - the national medal of honor museum opens in Arlington next March. I'm looking forward to that. 

I think it's cool they do stuff like this so Bill Lonquist '48 and Joe West '54 can regale the group with stories of the corps and national championships. Keep those oral traditions alive. 

I worked with Dr. West for 10 years. His personality is infectious and he’s a good guy, but he’s so aggy he whoops when he gets excited/happy. He’d tell a joke or funny story and it would just blurt out of nowhere. I miss him but that was such a crazy tick to have. 

8 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

aggycheer.thumb.jpg.5248f99f8531a2ab933244372bd5924a.jpg

Their uniforms look like they have shoulder pads on.

“Fine. We will let them on the field, but they gotta look like guys. Only guys on the field, just like the military.” Aggy, probably. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Crapinon said:

It's all the refs fault. We need to take immediate action! Damn sips....

https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/3486702

Fatboy Thaddeus3:28p, 9/4/24
From my watch the officiation wasn't that one-sided...but if Alberts & Elko don't have multiple employees prosecuting these kinds of concerns, full-time, we are guaranteed to never establish ourselves in the elite. Wake up, eSIPn has put us in the same "bad guy" doghouse as FSU, and we will have to shatter many tough barriers to get the same perennial sweetheart treatment that teams like ND enjoy.

Officiation is one such barrier. How are we gonna do it?

We need dossiers on every individual ref, their biases & tendencies, and what kind of real-time pressure they'll respond to.
We need a research team that will compile historical biases and publish open-source review collateral & summary data.
We need an internal review team that is externally dreaded and feared, willing to do everything from backchannel the SEC head office to publish evidence of malfeasance directly to media members.
On gameday, we need at least 2 people in the booth watching every ref, tracking their calls and non-calls, ready to feed lobbying points to our sideline staff.
We need friendly social media channels that will livestream real-time (seconds to minutes after calls are made or missed) officiation reviews, along with stiff "fair use" legal protection (or workarounds thereof) to enable on-the-spot delivery of convincing visual evidence.

No, I'm not joking. This is a serious issue. It may not be front of mind for most, but now is the time to start laying this foundation and building out this wing of our program.

I love the "dossiers" like this dumb ass is Jason Bourne. More like Jason Boooooo, amirtie?

I'll say it before and I'll say it again: After 20 years as an Infantryman in Uncle Sugar's Army, these idiots don't know the first fucking thing about the military. I only met one or two Ags that were branched Infantry and if I remember correctly, they were both tabless bitches. One I do remember quitting when I was an RI at Benning. They are only cosplaying.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, TheBryMan81 said:

There was a 4th and 2 late in the game when aggy was down a TD. They tried to throw a quick slant that got jumped and easily broken up. I figured this moment HAD to be in response to throwing it on 4th and short. I gave them too much credit.

Yeah this was the reaction to that play: "I made a huuge mistake"

And here is where he screams like a moron to just end the game running it

3 hours ago, Crapinon said:

we will have to shatter many tough barriers to get the same perennial sweetheart treatment that teams like ND enjoy.

Barriers like winning.

Officiation is one such barrier. How are we gonna do it?

Learn the word officiating.

We need dossiers on every individual ref, their biases & tendencies, and what kind of real-time pressure they'll respond to.
We need a research team that will compile historical biases and publish open-source review collateral & summary data.
We need an internal review team that is externally dreaded and feared, willing to do everything from backchannel the SEC head office to publish evidence of malfeasance directly to media members.
On gameday, we need at least 2 people in the booth watching every ref, tracking their calls and non-calls, ready to feed lobbying points to our sideline staff.
We need friendly social media channels that will livestream real-time (seconds to minutes after calls are made or missed) officiation reviews, along with stiff "fair use" legal protection (or workarounds thereof) to enable on-the-spot delivery of convincing visual evidence.

And then do what beyond the usual ass scratching?

No, I'm not joking.

We know. That's why we're all laughing.