• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

1 hour ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Aggies on the road vs. Napier on the sideline… it’s tough. 

I feel like even Napier isn’t stupid enough not to play Lagway and that he could make enough plays to beat the offensive dynamo from The Station. Maybe it’s just wishful thinking. 

I was thinking Florida too but I'm just trying to make sure my dislike for aggy wasn't clouding my thinking.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, markstanco said:

I dont see how a 4 loss regular season P4 team could make the playoffs, but I guess it could be possible every 5 years or so. 

It's a pretty widely held belief that the SEC and B1G conferences will put at least 8 teams in the playoff.  Conjecture?  Yes.  True?  Probably.  If Michigan is #4 in their conference, I'm skeptical that they'd be left out.  

I'm with anyone else who isn't sure what to expect this Saturday between these two mediocrities. In reading Napier's comments today on the SEC call and some of the other stuff he's said, he really is dumb enough to be trying a 2 QB system. I expect that kind of shit to fuck up the locker room and the gameplan and give ATM the edge. 

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Thanks, Nostradamus.

The only prediction that seems viable right now is that there won't be a 4 loss team in the playoffs unless they win their conference and get an automatic bid. At least this year. I don't think a 2 loss team has ever made the 4 loss CFP. A 3 loss team will have controversy attached, and even that will be surprising for the first turn.

Temple has some decent opportunities to end their streak at UConn and UTSA and graciously allow aggy to be a leader in something.

2 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Hmmm I dunno Florida and Auburn are in that mix. While it's certainly possible, I think easily is a bit of a stretch. 

Counterpoint: aggy

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

"Easily" is probably hyperbole, Auburn and MSU look pretty weak.  I think UF beats them to get it to 11, though. 

To be clear, I'm on your team and hope you're right. If Florida can get even a medicore pass rush and run stop, they probably win in a battle of field goals 9-6.

2 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Glass houses. Texas next road game is October 26th in Nashville.

Lemme know next time aggy voluntarily plays a defending national champion or any blueblood for that matter on the road.  When they put Clemson on the schedule that hadn't become good Clemson yet and aggy had already dropped someone else but the school escapes me. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Lemme know next time aggy voluntarily plays a defending national champion or any blueblood for that matter on the road.  When they put Clemson on the schedule that hadn't become good Clemson yet and aggy had already dropped someone else but the school escapes me. 

The Chip Kelly version of Oregon.  They would have smoked the aggies.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Dennis Taylor said:

When they put Clemson on the schedule that hadn't become good Clemson yet

Texas A&M and Clemson announced their series in October of 2014.  In the 3 seasons prior to that date, Clemson went 32-8 with 3 bowl wins.  While that's not "MNC winning Clemson" it's definitely "good Clemson".  

For reference, the last time Texas A&M won 32 games in 3 years was 1992-1994. They definitely scheduled up.

• Haha 1

0fc72b6b2085ba95628075928588d9314d95bbe4

image.png.d2f2b9c35d7b9f49fadedb24ee670b0f.png

Texas A&M football is set to take on Florida in one of the biggest games in the SEC this weekend. After an early setback against the Notre Dame Fighting Irish, the Aggies are looking to establish themselves firmly in Mike Elko’s first year.

On the Florida side of things, Billy Napier’s squad is teetering on the edge of a cliff. This is a make it or break it year for the third-year man in Gainesville, and things are not exactly looking rosy so far.

UF suffered an early, ugly loss to a Miami team that, admittedly, has looked pretty good through two weeks. But now the Gators are undergoing some unrest at the quarterback position, with a fanbase that is eager to see the star freshman and a coaching staff wishing to stick with their original choice at signal caller.

In short, the Gators are not in a great place. As we’ve seen in the past, though (LSU 2016, anyone?), a team dealing with issues like this can pull together with the slightest bit of hope, or they can fracture at the first sign of difficulty.

Hence, a fast start is imperative for the Aggies. If you give the Gators any hope at all early on, things could snowball—especially in front of a rowdy crowd at the Swamp. You have to bottle them up quickly.

A potential issue here is that the Aggies have been rather susceptible to the big play so far this season, especially on the ground. Mike Elko didn’t mince words in his presser when speaking about the quality of the rush defense through the first two games.

The Gators boast a couple of solid backs, most notably veteran Montrell Johnson, who followed Napier from ULL. I think we see a lot of him early on, especially if Lagway ends up getting a significant share of the snaps, running zone reads and trying to take advantage of the edge of the Aggie DL, which has been undisciplined at times so far.

The pass game could be pretty tough on the Gators, however. Texas A&M football has allowed very little success through the air and almost no explosive plays so far. Some of that has to do with the fact that opponents have been loath to drop back much, given the ferocious Aggie front, and are therefore mostly throwing short passes.

Florida’s strategy last game was to set up max protections up front and let Lagway chuck it downfield. That will be a strategy that they cannot really use against the Aggies, both because of the higher quality of athlete on the back end of the A&M defense and the better pass rush they’ll be facing.

Whether the Aggies see Mertz or Lagway, neither will have a lot of time in the pocket. Applying pressure quickly could have the Gator signal caller seeing ghosts, especially if it’s the young five-star being forced to read an Elko defense repeatedly.

On the other side of things, I anticipate the Gators attempting to replicate Notre Dame’s gameplan against the Aggies; namely, man up on the outside, load up against the run, and make Weigman and the A&M receivers beat you.

Now, to be fair, the Ags actually had a decent amount of rushing success against the Irish when they attempted that strategy—and that’s with a poor performance by the Aggie backs, who followed their blockers much better in game two than they did in the opener. So there’s a solid chance that A&M is able to roll out a much-improved ground game relative to game one, even if UF takes this same tack. Of course, it should be said, the ND front is better than the UF front anyway.

In that vein, Aggie fans should be watching for rushing success early on. If Klein and this Aggie team can get something going on the ground against such a strategy from the Gators, then UF could be looking at a long afternoon down in Gainesville. I’ll specifically be watching for an increased number of runs for Conner, who really got into the swing of things against McNeese once he scrambled a couple of times.

If A&M is unable to move the ball on the ground, especially given the possible weather conditions during this game, it could be a rock fight. In a hostile environment against a desperate team, that’s the last thing you want.

I’m bullish on this A&M front, though, and pretty down on the UF defense. I think we see a heavy dose of Moss, Daniels, and Weigman on the ground early on, while the Gators spin their wheels trying to manufacture some explosives. I’m anticipating the coaching staff really drilling discipline on the edge of the line this week, but it’s possible the Gators still break an outside run or two.

As the game wears on, I think some things open up in the pass game. Weigman’s placement was superb on deep balls against McNeese, so I’d love to see a couple of those completed in this one. This one should be well out of reach late in the third quarter, but a late TD by the Gators may have it looking closer than it felt. I’m sticking with my 31-17 prediction. BTHOUF!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Napier’s back is against the wall in the matchup. Start Lagway and beat aggy, there is still hope. 2-1 and 1-0 in SEC play.

aggy is going to throw their best shot, as they don’t want to end the weekend 1-2.

If Napier starts Lagway, I see them winning.
Florida 24 to aggy 17 - in the Swamp! The Gator fans have to “bring it” and NOT be despondent.

If Napier starts the other QB, I see a loss and he won’t be the Coach when the Gators come to Austin.

Hook’em!!!

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 hours ago, Lerka Lerka said:

Impressive company! 

Last true road win - October 16, 2021 @ Missouri in case anyone was wondering. That’s incredible. 

1,061 days and counting. 

If it doesn't happen Saturday, the next chance is 10/19 in Starkville. Where they are 1-4 in their last 5 games.

• Like 2