• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

1 hour ago, Longboard Horn said:

Fingers crossed that they glow in the dark and the game gets scheduled for 11am again.

Hopefully that works out better than their glow in the dark daytime game uniforms.  Must be embarrassing to have to resort to gimmick uniforms 

21 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

It’ll probably involve branding/naming rights with some “trophy”.

Yup.  And my guess is it won't involve football alone, they'll also include some annual all-sports trophy like the Director's Cup but just between these two schools.  They had something like that before the ags bolted for the SEC a decade ago.  

16 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yup.  And my guess is it won't involve football alone, they'll also include some annual all-sports trophy like the Director's Cup but just between these two schools. 

While irrelevant, that would be comical.  Do it.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

While irrelevant, that would be comical.  Do it.

They had it before, for the last 10 years or so that the ags were in the B12.  They had a big announcement when they created it, but then as you can imagine, it didn't get much press after that, because the outcome was never in doubt.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

According to Wikipedia:

The Lone Star Showdown is the traditional rivalry for all varsity men's and women's athletics competitions between the University of Texas at Austin and Texas A&M University. The State Farm Lone Star Showdown started in 2004 and was created to bring more attention to the rivalry in non-major sports. The Lone Star Showdown trophy was awarded to the winning school each year based on head-to-head matchup in each sport. The final episode of the annual competition occurred during the 2011–12 academic year.

Makes sense to restart this now that we're in the same conference. Probably needed a press conference to give the new sponsor some pub.

54 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yup.  And my guess is it won't involve football alone, they'll also include some annual all-sports trophy like the Director's Cup but just between these two schools.  They had something like that before the ags bolted for the SEC a decade ago.  

The trophy has to be Jimbo's Championship Plaque, no?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

Check out this shit.  In the event of a tie, previous winner gets the title.  Sure, fine.  Not my contest, not my rules.  So Texas won 6, A&M won 2, and wiki claims Texas won 63% to A&M's 37% of the "Showdowns".  Uh, 75/25?  No doubt an Aggie wrote the wiki page:

Series history and standings

[edit]
  • 2004–05 Winner: Texas — Score: 14½ to 4½
  • 2005–06 Winner: Texas — Score: 14 to 5
  • 2006–07 Winner: Texas — Score: 10½ to 8½
  • 2007–08 Winner: Texas A&M — Score: 10½ to 8½
  • 2008–09 Winner: Texas A&M — Score: Tied 9½ to 9½ 
  • 2009–10 Winner: Texas – Score: 10 to 9
  • 2010–11 Winner: Texas — Score: Tied 9½ to 9½ 
  • 2011–12 Winner: Texas — Score: 12 to 7

Previous year's winner retains title in the event of a tie, as per the tie-breaker rule.

Overall results (2004–2012)

[edit]
  • Total wins: Texas 6 (63%), Texas A&M 2 (37%)
  • Total points: Texas 90.5 (60%), Texas A&M 61.5 (40%)
  • Haha 3