Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I have no issue with free agency.  It's fair.  I have a problem when good teams are punished for drafting well.  I am also very confused why any fan of Texas Football would be upset about the current landscape.  It might as well have been tailored to our needs.

Because I'd feel the same way if it were the other way around.

I'm not a disingenuous person who only likes things when they benefit me or hates things that don't.

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

It was against the rules then.  The rules have been changed.  It's not disingenuous, it's a reckoning.

Yes, but let's recognize that it's just legal version of "bag men"... I'd rather see a different system.  

I respect your opinion, but I think it's lame for some people (not you) to neg me for having a different one.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

It's not a bag game though.  Texas NIL is funded by voluntary donations and businesses that are getting advertising in return for giving players money.  It's out in the open and the school can make sure it's being done right.  That's much better than some shady ass middle man fleeing families that don't know any better.  It's better for everyone involved.  Except for broke ass schools like LSU and "uncles".

Edited by kevwun

11 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Yes, but let's recognize that it's just legal version of "bag men"... I'd rather see a different system.  

I respect your opinion, but I think it's lame for some people (not you) to neg me for having a different one.  

I feel like what you’re advocating for would just bring back the bag game that is actively being eliminated. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

In a joint commitment ceremony in which each one drives a Lambo to the intersection of 6th and Congress?  

I'll allow it.

And they drive there in a Victory formation.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

It is what's being discussed.  NIL is just code word for paying players, but you know that already.

Actual NIL is just endorsements, and I'm not against any player making as much as they can from endorsements, but if you think that's how NIL is actually working, you're either insane or being disingenuous.  

This is why I said I understand the "sentiment" of the LSU poster.  

College football has jumped the "amateur" shark, so we should just stop pretending that these kids aren't professional athletes.  There needs to be revenue sharing and salary caps.  Hell, I don't even think they should be made to go to class.  I think they should have access to scholarships and be able to play school while playing if they choose to, but also allow them to postpone going to school until after their football careers are over.  

College football is just an NFL development league and should be treated as such.... the NFL has a salary cap, and so should college football.  

I recognize there are people who disagree, but that's my opinion.

IMG_9384.gif

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

I'm not suggesting different.  I'm saying NIL, the way it's operating now, is not different that the "bag man" days, aside from being legal and relatively public.  

In my view, what we refer to as NIL would go away and be replaced by direct payment (employment) and that all money earned through real endorsements would be up to the individual. 

No differently than how it's done in the NFL.

Basically, HS players would be the equivalent of NFL free agents.

This is just a bad take.

NIL isn't different from the bag game aside from the fact that it's completely different? Strong point. The bag game was cheating. Most schools played bags at least a little, a few played bags a lot. That's not the same as NIL in any universe.

A salary cap + endorsement deals would end us right back at the same spot. If you set a salary cap & continue to allow endorsements (because that cat isn't going back into the bag) you'll have schools like UT telling Arch manning "we'll pay you X & the NIL endorsement opportunities around Austin will pay you X. Different, but the same.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I didn't like the way he talked about Ohio State.

I’m sure he likes them, but I personally I don’t see that happening. More likely that talk helps keep his NIL value honest.

10 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I didn't like the way he talked about Ohio State.

Yep, kid clearly likes that opportunity. Gotta hope mama wins out along with being part of a 3 Amigos class.

(Nattiel, Jackson, Johnson)

31 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Listen to him talk about Momma/Austin/playing w/ Ffrench and Lockett ... 🔥  🔥  🔥  🔥.

("Since I was little, my Momma always wanted to try to move me to Austin ... if I was to go to Texas, it would make her world.")

("Big factor if all three went to the same school ... ")

LOL .. who knows?

34 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Listen to him talk about Momma/Austin/playing w/ Ffrench and Lockett ... 🔥  🔥  🔥  🔥.

("Since I was little, my Momma always wanted to try to move me to Austin ... if I was to go to Texas, it would make her world.")

("Big factor if all three went to the same school ... ")

His reaction when talking about that was something.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Everybody's got a special kind of story. Everybody finds a way to shine.
It don't matter that you got not a lot.
So what? They'll have theirs, and you'll have yours, and I'll have mine. And together we'll be fine because it takes different strokes to move the world.

image.png.4641eba2abdfcfd63b8c3a1d82cf8603.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SimkinsMan said:

Seems like a Ffrench commit might open the door to some tasty ffromage puns. We would have an abondance of riches at the position. We could easily go brie, ffour, or ffive wide at the position with studs.

Had to rep this for the eFfort.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, kevwun said:

Yes, the NFL is a whole bunch of medicority now compared to what it was before the salary cap.  MLB is better because the cap is soft and isn't set so low comparatively as the NFL's cap.  Both have effected the quality of good teams though.

Not even close!

MLB is better because they instituted a pitch clock. Baseball had gotten so fucking boring that lifelong fans couldn’t watch it and waves of kids had moved onto lacrosse 🥍 because participating in baseball ️ was killing them.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Refreshing. I’ve listened to multiple interviews with Kurt Cousins since the draft and much bigger names than Josh Newberg failed to ask him a single question about Penix. 

Asking hard questions is the job. 

Is Kurt Cousins cousins with Kirk Cousins?

Or are they brothers?

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Is Kurt Cousins cousins with Kirk Cousins?

Or are they brothers?

Both parents are identical twin sets. So biologically, they are brothers. Legally, they are Cousins. 

Edited by Mr. Mojo Risin'
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Not even close!

MLB is better because they instituted a pitch clock. Baseball had gotten so fucking boring that lifelong fans couldn’t watch it and waves of kids had moved onto lacrosse 🥍 because participating in baseball ️ was killing them.

People didn't stop watching MLB because the speed of the game, at least not purists, casual fans.......maybe. Kids aren't moving to Lacrosse from baseball in the Houston area, not sure about the rest of the country. HS baseball teams turn away so many kids, they are transferring to shittier school districts or just remaining in select and foregoing HS baseball.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Longhornlove said:

People didn't stop watching MLB because the speed of the game, at least not purists, casual fans.......maybe. Kids aren't moving to Lacrosse from baseball in the Houston area, not sure about the rest of the country. HS baseball teams turn away so many kids, they are transferring to shittier school districts or just remaining in select and foregoing HS baseball.

Baseball purists keep score watching from home. They also played Rotisserie League Baseball before Fantasy Football existed. 

Lacrosse has exploded in the Dallas area and it has moved out of the Atlantic Coast to massive popularity nationwide that has led to enormous tournaments at the Indio Polo Fields, where Coachella is held, and in Denver. 

Televised college baseball and the pitch clock are saving baseball. Indoor stadiums have also helped.m, but I doubt that 20% of the general population could tell you who won the World Series.

set for 12:30pm CST

does anyone who frequents the OTF board know if they're going to be on hand for this or have their own stream? I'd like to give Bobby and crew my eyes if possible. Also pretty cool that they're doing this at the ON3 Elite camp. A lot of dudes there that we are in on who could maybe feel the mojo. Committed and Uncommitted alike.

• Hook 'Em 1