Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

19 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Port Arthur is 1.5 hrs highway driving east on the fucking border of Texas and Louisiana. How the fuck is that “Houston Area”?

Fuck 1.5 hrs is my commute into town each week.  JK

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I hate you all.

Exactly. I already covered this shit a couple weeks back. 

On 5/25/2024 at 8:09 PM, BigHorn'13 said:

PSA

Pearland is not Houston. Katy is not Houston. The Woodlands is not Houston. Baytown is not Houston. 

Thanks, 

BigHorn'13 

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Houston and it's surrounding areas are a giant shit hole. 

But occasionally it's nice to raid the area for football talents. 

I don’t completely agree, but Houston is the least aesthetically pleasing of the big 5 cities in Texas.

That said, there’s a property off of 288 on the way to Pearland that’s flat as a table top with panoramic views of the Medical Center and the Downton Skyline to the north. It’s quite striking at any time of day. I’ll attempt to take a good picture next time I’m down there. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

4 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

Port Arthur is 1.5 hrs highway driving east on the fucking border of Texas and Louisiana. How the fuck is that “Houston Area”?

Houston is more of a concept than a place at this point.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I don’t completely agree, but Houston is the least aesthetically pleasing of the big 5 cities in Texas.

That said, there’s a property off of 288 on the way to Pearland that’s flat as a table top with panoramic views of the Medical Center and the Downton Skyline to the north. It’s quite striking at any time of day. I’ll attempt to take a good picture next time I’m down there. 

For our sakes, please don't.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, PTINS said:

Starting to produce?

The Houston area:

2005    Jamaal Charles, Memorial (Port Arthur, TX) 

2008    Ryan Roberson, Brenham (Brenham, TX)

If Port Arthur is Houston area then shouldn't Brenham be in the Austin area?

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Thiefery said:

If he's going to make his final decision "soon,"  I think that has got to bode well for Texas.  My thought is that he came in, Texas blew him away, he's gone home to think about it, and now is close to 98% certain that he knows where he wants to go: Texas. The problem he faces is having to let the FSU coaches know.  That's my homer take.  But each day that he waits to decide, though, is a chance for more and more FSU fans to get in his ear.  

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Primer on this OV weekend.  A long article like this, with Roach, would have been a total snooze fest.  These guys - Scruggs in particular - throw in a ton of specifics and make it very much worth reading.

A few of the positive notes:

Dakorien Moore:  Regardless of when the decision comes, Horns247 still expects Moore to end up signing with the Longhorns come December.

John Mills:  This still appears to be Texas' race to lose entering the weekend.

Lance Jackson:  Like Rickey Stewart, we're not nervous or cautious of a potential flip as Jackson is locked in with the Longhorns.

Smith-Orogbo:  I wrote about it in The Stampede on Monday, but don't find it super surprising if my crystal ball prediction ends up getting changed back to being in favor of the Longhorns.

Riley Pettijohn:  I like the chances of the decision coming down to the in-state rivals of Texas and Texas A&M with the Longhorns winning out. 

Jonathan Cunningham:  Regardless, depending on how things go this weekend, we could be firing up the crystal ball machine sooner or later.

FULL ARTICLE

Texas official visit primer: Everything you need to know about this upcoming weekend's group of visitors
An in-depth breakdown of everything you need to know about each of the sixteen official visitors set to take in the Forty Acres this weekend.
Horns247 Staff

Reveal hidden contents

Texas official visit primer: Everything you need to know about this upcoming weekend's group of visitors
An in-depth breakdown of everything you need to know about each of the sixteen official visitors set to take in the Forty Acres this weekend.
Horns247 Staff

We're back to being in the thick of the most important part of the recruiting calendar, as the Texas Longhorns are set to host 16 official visitors this coming weekend. 

Prospects will be arriving starting tomorrow morning and will spend time on the Forty Acres doing official visit activities until the recruiting weekend wraps up Sunday afternoon. 

Texas will be hosting 42 total official visitors across three weeks during the month of June, but as stated earlier only 16 of those 42 visitors will be on campus this weekend. 

Those 16 prospects include Dakorien Moore, Riley Pettijohn, Lance Jackson, Andrew Marsh, Lamont Rogers, Daylan McCutcheon, Smith Orogbo, Marco Jones, Nick Brooks, Kevin Wynn, Kelshaun Johnson, Rickey Stewart, Brandon Brown, Trestin Castro, Jonathan Cunningham, and John Mills. 

It's a smaller group compared to the group that'll come in for the 21-23 official visit weekend, but it'll still be incredibly important as this weekend's group features the top wide receiver and linebacker targets in Duncanville's Dakorien Moore and McKinney's Riley Pettijohn. 

Here's everything you need to know about the six prospects set to officially visit the Forty Acres this weekend.

TYLER CHAPEL HILL 3-STAR RB RICKEY STEWART — TEXAS COMMIT
Rickey Stewart
Rickey Stewart (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
Top schools: Texas 

Official visits: Texas (June 14-16) 

Crystal Ball: 100% Texas 

The skinny: A one-time SMU commit, Stewart visited Texas on Jan. 20, earned an offer, and didn't wait long after that to back off his pledge to the Mustangs. When he returned to Austin on April 6 for the Longhorn City Limits, the in-state back was ready to make the call. He pledged to the Longhorns and has been locked in ever since. Stewart is Texas' top running back target in the state, and Tashard Choice made sure he knew it. He's not considered a flip threat at this point in the process. (South)

DUNCANVILLE 5-STAR WR DAKORIEN MOORE

Dakorien Moore (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
Top schools: LSU, Ohio State, Oregon, Texas

Official visits: Ohio State (May 31-June 2), LSU (June 7-9), Texas (June 14-16), Oregon (June 21-23)

The skinny: There isn't much new to the recruitment of the nation's No. 1 wide receiver prospect. Horns247 still expects Moore to choose the Longhorns come decision time, even after official trips to Ohio State and LSU over the last two weekends. Although there isn't a firm timeline, Moore is planning for a decision to take place some time in the month of August before his senior season kicks off. Regardless of when the decision comes, Horns247 still expects Moore to end up signing with the Longhorns come December. I haven't checked in with anyone regarding any special activities for Moore or who will be hosting him, but I'd be pretty surprised if he doesn't spend a lot of time around Colin Simmons and Johntay Cook specifically. If Moore lands at Texas, he'll be the highest rated wide receiver prospect to ever sign with the Longhorns. (Scruggs)

KATY JORDAN 4-STAR WR ANDREW MARSH

Andrew Marsh (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
Top schools: Kentucky, Oklahoma, Penn State, Texas, USC, Washington 

Official visits: Washington (May 31-June 2), USC (June 7-9), Texas (June 14-16), Kentucky (June 18-20), Oklahoma (June 21-23) 

Crystal Ball: N/A

The skinny: You can almost copy/paste what was written about McCutcheon for the skinny on Marsh. Texas has a lot of top tier options at the position that starts with Dakorien Moore, Jaime Ffrench, and Kaliq Lockett. Beyond that there are other high interest targets like Marsh, McCutcheon, Kelshaun Johnson and Tanook Hines. How that could all piece together remains to be seen. Could Texas sign Moore, Ffrench, Lockett and call it a day? Yes. But there are other combinations of players they could add as well, and Marsh fits into that equation. USC may hold the edge, however, entering the weekend. We'll see if Texas pushes to change that. Marsh isn't expected to make a decision until November, though. (South)

HITCHCOCK 4-STAR WR KELSHAUN JOHNSON

Kelshaun Johnson (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
Top schools: Texas, Texas A&M, USC

Official visits: Arkansas (May 31-June 2), Texas A&M (June 6-8), Texas (June 14-16), USC (June 21-23)

The skinny: Most crystal ball predictions reflect the current pulse of the recruitment. Johnson's two crystal ball predictions in favor of the Longhorns do not reflect the current pulse of the recruitment. Coming out of his official visit to College Station this past weekend, the Aggies have more buzz than any other program as things currently stand. A&M offers the fastest path to the playing field out of the three schools in contention, and Holmon Wiggins' pedigree of producing high-end NFL talent during his time in Tuscaloosa is another reason for the Aggies' position in this recruitment. College Station is also about an hour to an hour and a half closer to Hitchcock than Austin is, which provides a small boost as well. However, Johnson refrained from shutting his recruitment down coming out of the trip to College Station, and is still intending to take his Texas and USC official visits that are coming up this weekend and next. The Trojans haven't been talked about much in the last week, and while I do think they're in third place as things currently stand, I'm not ready to fully count out USC here. The Trojans sent their receivers coach to Hitchcock to see Johnson every single week during the winter evaluation period, and he's been one of USC's biggest targets across the board going back to December. However Johnson has never been to California before, so the trip to Los Angeles at the end of the month looms extremely large. Texas pushed for Johnson's commitment several times throughout the spring and he held off, so it'll be interesting to see if momentum can be swung away from the Aggies this weekend. I expect Texas to land Dakorien Moore before landing one of Jaime Ffrench or Kaliq Lockett, leaving one more spot open for the third receiver take of the class. Up until about a week or two ago, Johnson would've been my first answer for who makes the most sense for the third receiver spot. With A&M now in the driver's seat coming out of his official visit to College Station this past weekend, Johnson would no longer be my answer for who I'm most confident about, or at least as things currently stand. Although we're likely going to end up changing our crystal ball predictions sooner or later, the Longhorns have had the most dialogue with Johnson and his family throughout the whole recruitment compared to any other program. That said, if Texas pushes the right buttons this weekend, I could see us holding on to our current predictions for Texas, but we'll have to wait and see how this weekend goes first before moving one way or another when it comes to our predictions. (Scruggs)

LOVEJOY 4-STAR WR DAYLAN MCCUTCHEON

Daylan McCutcheon (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
Top schools: Florida State, Ohio State, SMU, Texas, USC 

Official visits: SMU (May 10-12), Ohio State (May 31-June 2), USC (June 7-9), Texas (June 14-16), Florida State (June 21-23) 

The skinny: One position Texas has no shortage of options at in 2025 is wide receiver. The Longhorns are looked very favorably upon by top recruits at the position in recent cycles, especially considering UT send three wideouts to the league in this spring's NFL Draft, as well as added some of the top prep talent and Transfer Portal talent at wideout this offseason. It also doesn't hurt to have Arch Manning waiting in the wings to spread the ball around. Daylan McCutcheon has long considered Texas a top school. The interest from the Texas side of things is very high. However, with top targets like Dakorien Moore, Jaime Ffrench, and Kaliq Lockett still out there, it remains to be seen how all the pieces will be put together at this point in time. McCutcheon could absolutely end up in this Texas class, but at this moment it's hard to make an accurate projection. Perhaps this weekend gives us some more clarity. (South)

MESQUITE HORN 4-STAR OT LAMONT ROGERS

Lamont Rogers (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
Top schools: Florida State, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M

Official visits: SMU (May 17-19), Mizzou (May 31-June 2), Texas A&M (June 6-8), Texas (June 14-16), Oklahoma (June 18-20), Florida State (June 21-23)

The skinny: I will be surprised if Rogers doesn't end up one of the three main regional programs in Oklahoma, Texas, and Texas A&M, even with the buzz that's currently on Missouri. Proximity to home and school location are extremely relevant to this recruitment, and like many other top tier offensive tackles, NIL will play a role as well. Of the schools I view as having the best chances in Oklahoma, Texas, and Texas A&M, I think Texas is in third place as things currently stand. With the projected offensive line haul being Michael Fasusi, John Mills, Jordan Coleman, Devin Coleman, and Jackson Christian, I just have a hard time seeing Rogers ending up in the class. A source in DFW believes the Sooners have done the best job when it comes to relationship building with not only Rogers but the family as well, and most folks involved with the recruitment in and around Dallas lean towards the decision coming down to Oklahoma and Texas A&M. Rogers is not a fan of flashiness whatsoever, so the Lamborghini's parked outside of DKR will not be boosting the Horns' chances in this one. For it to be a successful trip to sway things in the direction of the burnt orange, I think it'd be best if the Longhorns continue remaining as genuine as possible in their conversations with Rogers, similar to how the staff approached Michael Terry III's trip this past weekend. Rogers' mother is a fan of everything Texas has to offer not only on the field but off it as well, but a source does believe that Oklahoma is likely the family's favorite at this point in time. Texas' ties to Rogers and Mesquite Horn from the Horn staff coming from Chris Gilbert's coaching tree is the primary reason the Longhorns were even able to get involved back in this recruitment earlier in the spring, but sources in DFW don't currently see the ties as being enough to keep this decision from coming down to Oklahoma and Texas A&M. There's a chance Ty Haywood's decision comes down to the Sooners and Aggies as well, which could certainly have a domino effect on Rogers' decision which he's planning to make in July or August. (Scruggs)

CEDAR RAPIDS (IOWA) JOHN F. KENNEDY 4-STAR OT NICK BROOKS

Nick Brooks (Photo: Sean Bock, 247Sports)
Top schools: Georgia, Iowa, Texas, USC 

Official visits: Georgia (May 31-June 2), USC (June 7-9), Texas (June 14-16), Iowa (June 21-23) 

Crystal Ball: 60% Iowa, 40% Georgia 

The skinny: Brooks is one of the few remaining offensive line targets for Kyle Flood and company in the class of 2025. This will mark the second time UT is hosting the talented 6-foot-7, 345-pounder after Brooks travelled down to Austin for the Orange-White Game back in April. The Hawkeye State native was at one point committed to Iowa before backing off that pledge last fall after roughly just two months. The home-state school will still get the last official visit from Brooks but it's Georgia of late that's grabbed some of the momentum in this recruitment. USC impressed last weekend, too. The most likely outcome for Texas to finish up at offensive tackle is some combination of Michael Fasusi, Lamont Rogers, and John Mills, with chances of all three. We'll see if Brooks cracks that group this weekend, but there looks to be work to do from the onset. (South)

SAN FRANCISCO (CALIF.) ST. IGNATIUS COLLEGE PREP 3-STAR OT JOHN MILLS
John Mills
John Mills (Photo: Brandon Huffman, 247Sports)
Top schools: Nebraska, Cal, Washington, Florida, Texas 

Official visits: Nebraska (April 26-28), Cal (May 23-25), Washington (May 31-June 2), Florida (June 7-9), Texas (June 14-16) 

The skinny: Texas has hosted Mills several times despite the distance from home, most recently for the Longhorn City Limits on April 6. At that event Mills got a lot of one-on-one time with Kyle Flood and the Texas staff, leaving most feeling as though UT was the team to beat. Even Mills himself said it was his best visit to date. Now, the Golden State tackle returns for what will be his final official visit before making a decision. Washington has been viewed as the top competition for the Longhorns. Mills has extensive family ties to the Huskies program. Florida took a big swing last weekend as well. This still appears to be Texas' race to lose entering the weekend. Look for the Longhorns to even further cement their standing with the talented 6-foot-6, 320-pounder over the coming days. He'll be joined by his mom, dad, and brother for the weekend. (South)

TEXARKANA (TEXAS) PLEASANT GROVE 4-STAR EDGE LANCE JACKSON — TEXAS COMMIT

Lance Jackson (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)

Official visits: Texas (June 14-16)

Crystal Ball: 100% Arkansas (old prediction)

The skinny: Not much new here. When Jackson committed, he originally set his official visit for the June 21-23 weekend, but ended up moving it to the June 14-16 weekend. The dates were swapped so Jackson could take a full official visit and not have it shortened due to the state 7on7 tournament that usually takes place the same weekend as the 21-23. However when Jackson's official visit dates were finalized, the dates for the state tournament still were yet to be made official. Those in charge of the state tournament decided to switch up from their usual schedule, and instead the tourney is now taking place June 27-29 (which every single recruiting industry reporter/college program is happy about). So long story short, Jackson's dates ended up being changed for basically zero reason. Because of the current situation when it comes to defensive line recruiting, Jackson is one of the more important pieces in the Longhorns' current class which is why we did our best to articulate how big of a deal it was that Jackson shut his recruitment down in favor of Texas back on Jan. 21. Like Rickey Stewart, we're not nervous or cautious of a potential flip as Jackson is locked in with the Longhorns. (Scruggs)

DANVILLE (CALIF.) SAN RAMON VALLEY 4-STAR EDGE MARCO JONES

Marco Jones (Photo: Shotgun Spratling | USCfootball.com, 247Sports)
Top schools: Michigan, Texas, Texas A&M, USC 

Official visits: Michigan (May 31-June 2), Texas A&M (June 6-8), Texas (June 14-16), USC (June 21-23) 

The skinny: The edge position is coming more into focus in terms of the options Texas has. We saw Hayden Lowe pop to USC last weekend. He was set to be in Austin this weekend, but that's now canceled. That leaves Jones, Smith Orogbo, Isaiah Gibson, and Florida State pledge Javion Hilson, who visited last weekend, as the main targets of note to pair up with Lance Jackson. The 6-foot-5, 230-pound Jones visited Austin last summer, so has some familiarity with the program. Jones is also a baseball prospect, so that aspect will be important as well. Jones is tentatively set to announce a decision on July 2, so this trip is as important as ever. Texas will look to make a move with the elite edge rusher this weekend. (South)

ALIEF HASTINGS 4-STAR EDGE SMITH OROGBO

Smith Orogbo (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
Top schools: Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech

Official visits: Arizona State (April 26-28), SMU (May 17-19), Washington (May 31-June 2), Texas Tech (June 7-9), Texas (June 14-16), Oklahoma (June 21-23)

Crystal Ball: 100% Texas Tech

The skinny: Unlike Kelshaun Johnson's crystal ball predictions, Orogbo's current crystal ball prediction accurately reflects the current pulse of the recruitment. Texas Tech took control of the momentum race this past weekend when Orogbo officially visited Lubbock, and for a while we weren't completely sure if Orogbo would be taking his remaining scheduled official visits. While the Kansas official visit for June 12-14 ended up being canceled, I exchanged texts with a source this afternoon who confirmed Orogbo's official visit to Texas (June 14-16) and Oklahoma (June 21-23) are still scheduled to take place. After swinging by his school for a spring ball visit in May, I originally entered in a crystal ball in favor of Orogbo to end up at Texas. The prediction was put in due to things we heard from those in and around the Hastings program and Orogbo himself, which included major emphasis in the academics side of the recruitment as well as proximity and location being a factor in the decision amongst several other factors. A few folks close to Orogbo were in agreement with me that Texas made the most sense at that point in time, and thus I ended up entering in the prediction in favor of Texas. With the Red Raiders now in control of the momentum as Orogbo makes his last two official visit stops, I wouldn't be surprised if I end up changing my prediction back to Texas. You can't ever count out Joey McGuire and the job his coaching staff does with relationship building and early evaluations, but if the factors like education end up mattering as much as I was told they would back in May, then I think Texas has a really good chance to steal and seize the momentum from Texas Tech this weekend. Obviously the Longhorns will have to play their cards right, but again, I think Texas could end up changing the momentum of this recruitment with a successful official visit this upcoming weekend. I wrote about it in The Stampede on Monday, but don't find it super surprising if my crystal ball prediction ends up getting changed back to being in favor of the Longhorns. (Scruggs)

GREENSBORO (GA.) GREENE COUNTY 4-STAR DL KEVIN WYNN

Kevin Wynn (Photo: Benjamin Wolk, 247Sports)
Top schools: Florida State, Georgia, South Carolina, Texas 

Official visits: Georgia (May 31-June 2), South Carolina (June 7-9), Texas (June 14-16), Florida State (June 21-23) 

The skinny: Wynn has never been to Texas. Because of that, the other three programs are currently better positioned to land the talented Peach State defensive lineman. That doesn't mean Texas doesn't have a shot, Wynn simply just wants to see what the program is all about in his time on the Forty Acres. By Sunday we could be talking about the Longhorns shooting up the leaderboard if all goes well. In-state Georgia is probably a hard out, especially considered Athens is just 30 minutes away from Greensboro. Texas needs to hit big along the defensive line, though, so expect a big push from the Longhorns this weekend ahead of his final OV to Florida State next week. Wynn is expected to make a decision at the end of July or the beginning of August. He'll be joined by his mom and cousin this weekend. (South)

MELBOURNE (FLA.) EAU GALLIE 4-STAR DL BRANDON BROWN — TEXAS COMMIT

Brandon Brown (Photo: Brian Perroni, 247Sports)

Official visits: LSU (May 31-June 2), Tennessee (June 7-9), Texas (June 14-16), USC (June 21-23) 

The skinny: Brown committed to the Longhorns sight unseen back in December after former defensive line coach Bo Davis offered. The Florida native has remained with the Longhorns through the coaching transition this offseason, as Kenny Baker and the staff have been able to keep him in the fold. Texas will look to reignite the spark this weekend with LSU grabbing some momentum recently on his official visit, pairing him back together with Bo Davis. There's some in Brown's camp that are partial to LSU as well. That, of course, could swing back to Texas' favor this weekend. Brown is an impressionable young man, and considering the need along the defensive line, Texas would really like to keep him in the class. Joining Brown this weekend will be his mom, potentially his dad, and, as we reported earlier this week, Brown's sister, who happens to live in Austin. Could that be a big factor come final decision time? We'll see. (South)

MCKINNEY 4-STAR LB RILEY PETTIJOHN

Riley Pettijohn (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
Top schools: Ohio State, Texas, Texas A&M, USC

Official visits: Ohio State (May 31-June 2), USC (June 7-9), Texas (June 14-16), Texas A&M (June 21-23)

The skinny: Texas has felt like the most likely landing spot for Pettijohn going back to last fall if not the summer. Once the main in-state target for Jeff Choate, the same prioritization remained once Johnny Nansen arrived in Austin in January. Although I don't have as much confidence that Pettijohn will end up at Texas compared to the confidence I have of the Longhorns eventually landing Dakorien Moore, I would still find it pretty surprising if Pettijohn ended up somewhere that wasn't Austin. He's been the LB1 target for Texas far longer than he's been for either of the competitors, and the fact that his former teammate Xavier Filsaime is already in Austin certainly helps the Longhorns as well. The Aggies made a smart move by having Pettijohn change his schedule around to see College Station as his last official visit before coming to a July or August decision, but this still feels as if Texas is the leader and it's felt that way for quite some time. Although there were some good returns for Ohio State and USC coming out of Pettijohn's official visit to those schools, I like the chances of the decision coming down to the in-state rivals of Texas and Texas A&M with the Longhorns winning out. (Scruggs)

NORTH CROWLEY 3-STAR LB JONATHAN CUNNINGHAM

Jonathan Cunningham (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
Top schools: Kansas, SMU, TCU, Texas, Utah

Official visits: TCU (May 3-5), Utah (June 7-9), Texas (June 14-16), Kansas (June 21-23)

The skinny: One of two linebackers (other being Madden Faraimo) not named Elijah Barnes or Riley Pettijohn that are set to come in for Texas official visits this summer, Cunningham has much likelier chances to end up with the Longhorns compared to Faraimo, at least as things currently stand. After only signing one linebacker in Ty'Anthony Smith and later gaining and losing Kendrick Blackshire to the transfer portal, it's likely the Longhorns end up signing at least three 'backers in 2025 and Cunningham makes the most sense to end up in the linebacker haul beside the predicted duo of Elijah Barnes and Riley Pettijohn. Landing Cunningham could provide great returns for the Longhorns as well, not only for what he is as a prospect, but also because he's at North Crowley which is home to John Turntine III, the No. 1 target on the offensive line for 2026. For several years North Crowley's top talent would end up playing at other high schools in the DFW area, but with the current staff in place you're seeing a lot more kids who are zoned to North Crowley actually attending the school. This is important, because when healthy North Crowley is firmly amongst the top prospect factories in the state, meaning Cunningham's potential commitment could mean much more for the Longhorns down the road besides just boosting their chances with Turntine. With a visit to Kansas set to take place the weekend following his visit to Texas, we're unsure of Cunningham's exact decision timeline. Regardless, depending on how things go this weekend, we could be firing up the crystal ball machine sooner or later. (Scruggs)

UPLAND (CALIF.) 4-STAR CB TRESTIN CASTRO — USC COMMIT

Trestin Castro (Photo: Blair Angulo, 247Sports)
Top schools: USC

Official visits: Texas (June 14-16), USC (June 21-23)

Crystal Ball: 100% USC

The skinny: To our knowledge, Castro's trip to the Forty Acres this upcoming weekend will be his first time in Austin. According to a source I spoke with this afternoon, USC was originally set to host the California native for an official visit earlier in the spring, but the Trojans pushed Castro's visit back to the June 21-23 weekend once he scheduled his Texas official visit for the June 14-16 weekend. The Trojans did it in order to secure the last official visit before the dead period, and it's notable to mention that Cal, Utah, and Washington were all scheduled to host Castro on OVs at different points throughout the spring and summer. Those visits to Cal, Utah, and Washington would later be canceled following Castro's commitment to USC, but sources confirmed with Horns247 that Castro will be in Austin this weekend. On the same note, when talking with sources it's clear the Longhorns pose the biggest threat to the Trojans, and that USC's staff is most wary of Texas. The Trojans were one of the first big schools to offer Castro long before his Top247 status came, and USC's early belief in the California native was definitely a factor for him giving his commitment to Lincoln Riley and company. On the other hand, Arizona was the very first program to offer Castro back in January of 2023. Although the offer wasn't given by former Arizona defensive coordinator and current Texas linebackers coach Johnny Nansen, he was still on staff with the Wildcats when the scholarship was extended, meaning it's likely the two have some form of a relationship that could help Texas' chances as they look to start cracking away at Castro's commitment to USC. (Scruggs)

image.thumb.png.75204cff5bf8f1fa43b521c492dfbbaf.png

Re: Tillmon

image.thumb.png.8740ee76eedcac73fbe211f32bd40164.png

You do great work with these updates. Thanks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Gerry

Let’s get this going early!!!

June 14-16 (14)

Dakorien Moore, WR, Duncanville (Texas) High
OnTexasFootball ranking: 5-star
Official visit schedule: Ohio State May 31-June 2, Texas June 14-16 and Oregon June 21-23
Where it stands: OTF still believes Texas is the team to beat with two OV's remaining. The only way Moore doesn't end up at Texas is if he truly just wants to be somewhere else. 

Kelshaun Johnson, WR, Hitchcock (Texas) High
OnTexasFootball ranking: 4-star
Official visit schedule: Arkansas May 31-June 2, Texas A&M June 7-9, Texas June 14-16 and USC June 21-23
Where it stands: OTF spoke with Johnson Monday evening. He and Sarkisian are scheduled to talk this week ahead of the visit to Texas. His mom and little sister will make the trip. Despite the chatter coming out of the visit to Texas A&M last weekend, the speedster says he will make OV's to Texas and USC the next two weeks. 

Andrew Marsh, WR, Katy (Texas) Jordan
Official visit schedule: Penn State May 31-June 2, USC June 7-9, Texas June 14-16, Kentucky June 17-19 and Oklahoma June 21-23
Where it stands: Marsh is on the board, but enters the weekend behind some others.

Daylan McCutcheon, WR, Lucas (Texas) Lovejoy
Official visit schedule: SMU May 10-12, Ohio State May 31-June 2, USC June 7-9, Texas June 14-16 and Florida State June 21-23
Where it stands: A popular prospect inside Moncrief Neuhaus, but there is just a log jam at wide receiver in the 2025 cycle. 

Nick Brooks, OT, Cedar Rapids (Ia.) John F. Kennedy
Official visit schedule: Georgia May 31-June 2, USC June 7-9 and Texas June 14-16
Where it stands: OnTexasFootball is on watch in this recruitment. Texas has a legit shot here. Mom and siblings are making the visit this weekend. 

Lamont Rogers, OT, Mesquite (Texas) Horn
Official visit schedule: Missouri May 31-June 2, Texas A&M June 7-9, Texas June 14-16 and Florida State June 21-23
Where it stands: If mom favors Texas after this weekend, this one will be tough for the competition. 

John Mills, IOL, San Francisco (Calif.) St. Ignatius 
Official visit schedule: Nebraska April 26-28, California May 23-25, Washington May 31-June 2, Florida June 7-9 and Texas June 14-16
Where it stands: Texas has led for a while and Mills likes the idea of college in the south, but Washington does possess some family appeal. 

Brandon Brown, DL, Melbourne (Fla.) Eau Gallie #AllGasNoBrakes
Official visit schedule: LSU May 31-June 2, Tennessee June 7-9, Texas June 14-16 and Miami June 21-23
Where it stands: Texas vs. LSU with this weekend's official visit looming very large. Big brother will be a key here this weekend. 

Kevin Wynn, DL, Greensboro (Ga.) Greene County
Official visit schedule: Georgia May 31-June 2, South Carolina June 7-9, Texas June 14-16 and Florida State June 21-23
Where it stands: Texas is a sleeper here right now, and could emerge as a real threat if a small town kid isn't overwhelmed by Austin this weekend. 

Smith Orogbo, EDGE, Alief (Texas) Hastings
Official visit schedule: Arizona State April 26-28, SMU May 17-19, Washington May 31-June 2, Texas Tech June 7-9, Texas June 14-16 and Oklahoma June 21-23
Where it stands: Dad and academics are huge here. Smith cares about the football part more. 

Marco Jones, EDGE, Danville (Calif.) San Ramon Valley
Official visit schedule: Michigan May 31-June 2, Texas A&M June 6-8, Texas June 14-16 and USC June 21-23
Where it stands: Total wildcard recruitment for the Longhorns. 

Riley Pettijohn, LB, McKinney (Texas) High
Official visit schedule: Ohio State May 31-June 2, USC June 7-9, Texas June 14-16 and Texas A&M June 21-23
Where it stands: OTF remains the same - Texas' recruitment to lose with Ohio State and USC swinging away. 

Jonathan Cunningham, LB, Fort Worth (Texas) North Crowley
Official visit schedule: SMU May 3-5, Arizona State June 7-9, Texas June 14-16 and Kansas June 21-23
Where it stands: This one all comes down to how hard Texas pushes. 

Trestin Castro, CB, Upland (Calif.) High - *USC commit
Official visit schedule: California May 23-25, USC May 31-June 2, Texas June 14-16 and Washington June 21-23
Where it stands: Total wildcard recruitment, if he makes it in this weekend. 

Mills was first to arrive for his OV

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 4

We sure are going after a lot of top defensive ends. I wonder if we only want two. Even though it has been discounted, maybe Jackson allows some recruiting flexibility because he can move inside.

Lance Jackson
Marco Jones
Smith Orogbo
Javion Hilson