Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

If Sark manages to keep Brown that's yet another glimpse into just how strong of a culture he's built with our program. 

Kenny Baker had no chance here. No matter how good of a recruiter he is he was walking in new recruiting head to head against the guy Brown committed to without ever seeing the campus. Brown loved the idea of playing for Bo so much he committed without seeing Austin at all. 

I thought there wasn't much chance here but damn if Sark isn't starting to develop into a true don of college football. 

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

If Sark manages to keep Brown that's yet another glimpse into just how strong of a culture he's built with our program. 

Kenny Baker had no chance here. No matter how good of a recruiter he is he was walking in new recruiting head to head against the guy Brown committed to without ever seeing the campus. Brown loved the idea of playing for Bo so much he committed without seeing Austin at all. 

I thought there wasn't much chance here but damn if Sark isn't starting to develop into a true don of college football. 

I agree with Sark building a great culture here, but this recruitment is basically NIL.  Let’s just hope LSU stays broke and cant match whatever Texas is offering.

• Hook 'Em 5

25 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I agree with Sark building a great culture here, but this recruitment is basically NIL.  Let’s just hope LSU stays broke and cant match whatever Texas is offering.

IMO it is imperative we start winning some of these big time DL NIL recruitments moving forward. 

28 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Let’s hope swamp rat pelts remain out of fashion in Paris

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

I doubt it's going to play much of a factor because both of these schools should be able to pay about the same if he's a priority target. No one is blowing out the coffers for this one to go way above and beyond. It'll be similar NIL offers most likely and come down to who does he want to play for/with. 

1 minute ago, Hermanator said:

I doubt it's going to play much of a factor because both of these schools should be able to pay about the same if he's a priority target. No one is blowing out the coffers for this one to go way above and beyond. It'll be similar NIL offers most likely and come down to who does he want to play for/with. 

sounds like basketball and centers. We need a decent number of young defensive tackles because our defensive tackle high school recruiting has been meh through multiple cycles.

3 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

I’ll never understand why UCLA can’t field a contender once every 5 years.

chipkelly-truffle.gif 

But maybe DeShaun Foster actually gives a shit about recruiting? I don't know anything about him except that he was nominated for the Broyles and that he has to rebuild Kelly's mess from scratch

C'mon grandma, keep your grandbaby close to home.
Seems like a chip shot for the good guys, but unless he's very close to his extended family, (relationship wise) having the whole fam damily up in your business when you just want a bit of independence may not be ideal.

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So the 2 hi’s are Mills and? 

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

John 

Had a Jon Mills as a classmate for a few years, but he was a short, slight, hairy kid in middle school, so doubtful that we would recruit any of his offspring.

2 hours ago, shnsajax said:

1 hour ago, campcrunk said:

chipkelly-truffle.gif 

But maybe DeShaun Foster actually gives a shit about recruiting? I don't know anything about him except that he was nominated for the Broyles and that he has to rebuild Kelly's mess from scratch

UCLA’s NIL money goes to basketball. They have been buying players since the John Wooden days. 

You can ask Duke or Kansas and they will tell you that it is much easier to buy 6 to 10 basketball players than 55 to 85 football players. 

I don’t care how serious DeShaun Foster is about recruiting, if their BMDs don’t want to pony up enough money to cover a football team on top of the basketball team, they are going to continue to get out-recruited. 

1 hour ago, ousux said:
4 hours ago, DixonHur said:
C'mon grandma, keep your grandbaby close to home.

Seems like a chip shot for the good guys, but unless he's very close to his extended family, (relationship wise) having the whole fam damily up in your business when you just want a bit of independence may not be ideal.

53 minutes ago, Junior Bonner said:

Christ. Can you find a worse take on a good fact?

Thank you, Junior.

Our family Holiday Party has 100+ people every year, my mother (age 94) and my aunts and uncles, my 20+ 1st cousins and a bunch of other cousins. There is no substitute for that kind of support network, based on generations of mutual respect.  Everybody know the elders eat first, and the kids need the most support.

Growing up with that instills a desire to make them proud, which can only be a good thing.

In 40+ years, nobody ever got all up in my business. The only time I ever talked about business, or career moves or relocating, I brought it up. I have a lot to say grace over, and only once or twice has anybody asked me for something other than the occasional HS fundraiser. Even then, they never really asked.

• Hook 'Em 2

Thank you, Junior.
Our family Holiday Party has 100+ people every year, my mother (age 94) and my aunts and uncles, my 20+ 1st cousins and a bunch of other cousins. There is no substitute for that kind of support network, based on generations of mutual respect.  Everybody know the elders eat first, and the kids need the most support.
Growing up with that instills a desire to make them proud, which can only be a good thing.
In 40+ years, nobody ever got all up in my business. The only time I ever talked about business, or career moves or relocating, I brought it up. I have a lot to say grace over, and only once or twice has anybody asked me for something other than the occasional HS fundraiser. Even then, they never really asked.
Are you 18 and about to gain a little independence for the first time in your life? If not that's just a heart warming story that doesn't apply here.

Having said that I hope you're right and having the fam nearby is important to Dakorien, but I remember at that age the fact my family was a few hours drive away was close enough to be there when I needed them...but otherwise I forged my own independent path as much as possible, and many high school grads are the same way.

18 minutes ago, ousux said:

Are you 18 and about to gain a little independence for the first time in your life? If not that's just a heart warming story that doesn't apply here.

Having said that I hope you're right and having the fam nearby is important to Dakorien, but I remember at that age the fact my family was a few hours drive away was close enough to be there when I needed them...but otherwise I forged my own independent path as much as possible, and many high school grads are the same way.

You have a gift for making things about you while being absurdly wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

You have a gift for making things about you while being absurdly wrong. 
I hope I'm absurdly wrong, but think you quoted the wrong post if you think I'm making it about me. On the other hand I may be surrounded by Dabo Swinney wannabes up in here.

3 hours ago, shnsajax said:

The Rose Bowl is cool and all but geographically the equivalent of TCU playing their home games in Frisco. 

UCLA is and will always care about basketball only

• Hook 'Em 1

So, this is interesting.

IIRC, the inside joke on Horns 247 used to be that we got commits whenever Mike went on vacation.

I think in the note below, he means that Moore committed, but it's a silent (and Moore will go public after he's done w/ visits).

In any event, it's a very positive hint from the Timorous One;  he wouldn't throw this out if he didn't hear something significant.

image.thumb.png.12a5d105c59edc5df4557be2f36a69bb.png

• Hook 'Em 4

14 minutes ago, Getafix said:

So, this is interesting.

IIRC, the inside joke on Horns 247 used to be that we got commits whenever Mike went on vacation.

I think in the note below, he means that Moore committed, but it's a silent (and Moore will go public after he's done w/ visits).

In any event, it's a very positive hint from the Timorous One;  he wouldn't throw this out if he didn't hear something significant.

Screenshot(8).thumb.png.a715849f529b627bcd9acfb555e44b5f.png

Gerry's percentages from this past weekend. 

Thoughts and percentages on Texas visitors from the weekend

The Texas Longhorns are coming off a huge visit weekend with a number of top targets on hand. 

After talking to the recruits, circles of the recruits and other sources, it's time for a Monday morning look at percentages with some thoughts on several. 

Dakorien Moore, WR, Duncanville (Texas) High
OnTexasFootball ranking: 5-star
Official visit schedule: Ohio State May 31-June 2, Texas June 14-16 and Oregon June 21-23
Gerry's percentage: 70%

Kelshaun Johnson, WR, Hitchcock (Texas) High
OnTexasFootball ranking: 4-star
Official visit schedule: Arkansas May 31-June 2, Texas A&M June 7-9, Texas June 14-16 and USC June 21-23
Gerry's percentage: 55%
Thought on the recruitment: This one is a bit tricky. OTF believes Texas is where Johnson desires to be. The offense, the QB room, the city of Austin and more. The Aggies have/are making a serious run in the hopes of Johnson siding against Texas due to the possibility of Dakorien Moore and Jaime Ffrench in the Texas class. 

Daylan McCutcheon, WR, Lucas (Texas) Lovejoy
Official visit schedule: SMU May 10-12, Ohio State May 31-June 2, USC June 7-9, Texas June 14-16 and Florida State June 21-23
Thought on the recruitment: Florida State is one to watch headed into the final weekend. 

Nick Brooks, OT, Cedar Rapids (Ia.) John F. Kennedy
Official visit schedule: Georgia May 31-June 2, USC June 7-9, Texas June 14-16 and Iowa June 21-23
Gerry's percentage: Georgia 45%, Texas 45% and USC 10%
Thought on the recruitment: This one is going to be a Georgia vs. Texas decision barring a major change. One that I wouldn't be surprised if either team won. Brooks has had two terrific visits to Texas, that OTF can say. 

Lamont Rogers, OT, Mesquite (Texas) Horn
Official visit schedule: Missouri May 31-June 2, Texas A&M June 7-9, Texas June 14-16 and Florida State June 21-23
Gerry's percentage: Texas A&M 33%, Texas 33%, Missouri 30% and FSU 4%.
Thought on the recruitment: FSU will have to knock the socks off this weekend. Texas hosting Rogers with his uncle only makes it tough for the Horns to have a true feel. 

John Mills, IOL, San Francisco (Calif.) St. Ignatius 
Official visit schedule: Nebraska April 26-28, California May 23-25, Washington May 31-June 2, Florida June 7-9 and Texas June 14-16
Gerry's percentage: Texas 65%, Washington 20% and Florida 15%.
Thought on the recruitment: This has been Texas' to lose for a while. Nothing has changed in that regard with a decision expected in the next 2-3 weeks. 

Brandon Brown, DL, Melbourne (Fla.) Eau Gallie #AllGasNoBrakes
Official visit schedule: Florida May 31-June 2, Tennessee June 7-9, Texas June 14-16, USC June 21-23
Thought on the recruitment: OnTexasFootball believes Brown really likes Texas, and the idea of playing for the Longhorns. Texas has to overcome one family member that feels like the long standing relationship with Bo Davis should be the deciding factor. 

Kevin Wynn, DL, Greensboro (Ga.) Greene County
Official visit schedule: Georgia May 31-June 2, South Carolina June 7-9, Texas June 14-16 and Florida State June 21-23
Gerry's percentage: FSU 30%, Texas 25% South Carolina 25% and Georgia 20%.
Thought on the recruitment: The family likely prefers closer to home than Austin, but will be supportive of the decision Wynn makes. The final weekend at FSU is big here, as the Noles enjoyed a big lead for a while this spring until the Gamecocks cut into it through culinary. Texas is a legit player here after the weekend.  

Smith Orogbo, EDGE, Alief (Texas) Hastings
Official visit schedule: Arizona State April 26-28, SMU May 17-19, Washington May 31-June 2, Texas Tech June 7-9, Texas June 14-16 and Oklahoma June 21-23
Gerry's percentage: Texas 40%, Texas Tech 30%, Oklahoma 25% and Washington 5%.
Thought on the recruitment: The family prefers closer to home, and is 100% academic minded. While Texas is the clear winner in that regard, there is concern over Austin's size and everything that entails as a college student. With that said, OTF believes Smith prefers Texas - but that doesn't mean Texas will be the winner. 

Marco Jones, EDGE, Danville (Calif.) San Ramon Valley
Official visit schedule: Michigan May 31-June 2, Texas A&M June 6-8, Texas June 14-16 and USC June 21-23
Gerry's percentage: Texas 45%, Michigan 45% and USC 10%.
Thought on the recruitment: A July 2nd decision out of Michigan and Texas is looking likely ahead of this weekends scheduled USC OV. 

Riley Pettijohn, LB, McKinney (Texas) High
Official visit schedule: Ohio State May 31-June 2, Texas June 14-16 and USC June 21-23
Gerry's percentage: Texas 60%, Texas A&M 35% and Ohio State 5%.
Thought on the recruitment: Texas continues to have a nice lead with the Aggies set to throw every kitchen sink in College Station at this one this weekend. 

Jonathan Cunningham, LB, Fort Worth (Texas) North Crowley
Official visit schedule: TCU May 3-5, Utah June 7-9, Texas June 14-16 and Kansas June 21-23
Thought on the recruitment: Texas will win it with a big push, as one would expect. 

Trestin Castro, CB, Upland (Calif.) High - *USC commit
Official visit schedule: California May 23-25, Texas June 14-16 and USC June 21-23
Gerry's percentage: USC 60%, Texas 40% 
Thought on the recruitment: Texas will be the pick if USC messes up the OV in some regard.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2