Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

19 minutes ago, kwood4408 said:

So are the OTF HI’s for Texas or other schools?

Gerry said two days ago none of his current hi’s have come off the board yet. He said he won’t even do hi’s for defensive lineman because of how wild the swings can be in those recruitments.

No idea how many are outstanding but I’m assuming guys like Townsend, Phillips, Tilmon, Brooks make up some of them.

1 minute ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Everything you said I 100% agree with. Gotta land Ffrench and Lockett, hope for some late flips for DL, and hello portal (again). And yeah, I figured our move to the SEC would pay bigger dividends, but so far we're not looking so great. I do hold out hope that we can get it turned around with A) a great season, and B) Sark using dark magic to conjure up something. We should land Townsend in a week or so, but I can't get hyped at the moment. What CJ said about how recruiting is going makes me think Bobby and Gerry have even more bad news for us. 

Dude Vogel said Jack squat.  There may be a problem or bad news but that "not gonna get into it on a holiday" tweet I'd akin to Luichi's "I'll go into more detail when it's over"

It's a tweet that he can forget he made or literally spin to referring to positive or negative news depending on what happens.  It's a nothing tweet.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

He said he won’t even do hi’s for defensive lineman because of how wild the swings can be in those recruitments.

I think that’s Gerry just saying “hasn’t been an issue yet, will cross that bridge when we get there.”

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

No idea how many are outstanding but I’m assuming guys like Townsend, Phillips, Tilmon, Brooks make up some of them.

Every pick on the $9.95 sites for Brooks are for Georgia.  Brooks is lining up just like the rest of the OOS guys like Charles, Wynn, Hilson, ect, in that the $9.95ers express optimism and then we get let down.

It's not entirely out of the question that we go 0-3 on Brooks/Rogers/Fasusi.

We are also rolling the dice if it's to be believed that the staff went all in on Faraimo over Pettijohn.

Outside of the two EDGE commits and Barnes, this defensive class is shaping up to look like a TCU/Arkansas type haul.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Every pick on the $9.95 sites for Brooks are for Georgia.  Brooks is lining up just like the rest of the OOS guys like Charles, Wynn, Hilson, ect, in that the $9.95ers express optimism and then we get let down.

It's not entirely out of the question that we go 0-3 on Brooks/Rogers/Fasusi.

Can’t remember who said it but Roger is announcing this Saturday and he wasn’t optimistic about Texas being the pick. 

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Top 10 in the state.  We'll be lucky to get two.

Screenshot_20240704_212123_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240704_212134_Chrome.jpg

Just looked and in 2024 it was 3 (Simmons, Black, Filsaime) and 2023 was also 3 (Cook, Hill, McDonald). 2022 was 2 (Campbell, Banks).

If we had taken Keelon, would that have helped with Moore? I know one thought last year was that we took Lacey to help with Ryan Williams, which was another massive "death star" failure despite the expectations.

1 minute ago, cb866 said:

If we had taken Keelon, would that have helped with Moore? I know one thought last year was that we took Lacey to help with Ryan Williams, which was another massive "death star" failure despite the expectations.

Doubtful. He wanted to get away and do his own thing. 

Posted (edited)

Never going to happen, but Sark should be on the phone with Glasscock asking what it will take to get him back to Austin in January. 

Edited by TXRed

The OTF/IT/247 guys just all regurgitate each other's nonsense, talked everyone into these kids being near locks, then get most of them wrong. The one that did commit was the kid none of them thought we were getting for weeks (Smith Orogbo). 

8 minutes ago, cb866 said:

You don't take a QB to get a receiver. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

South Oak Cliff coach

These coaches love jerking each other off. Jones was the head coach at South Oak Cliff 10 years ago and Samples is self explanatory.

Always gotta look out for your own.

• Hook 'Em 4

Is it a bit funny that so many people around here bash Samples and then coaches come out saying he's a big reason they're pulling these recruits.  It's almost like folks don't know what they're talking about.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

These coaches love jerking each other off. Jones was the head coach at South Oak Cliff 10 years ago and Samples is self explanatory.

No shit. Coaches in Texas hate Gilbert, right? 

4 minutes ago, SameSame said:

Is it a bit funny that so many people around here bash Samples and then coaches come out saying he's a big reason they're pulling these recruits.  It's almost like folks don't know what they're talking about.

No one on this board has admonished Samples as a recruiter. It's been widely acknowledged that we would have liked to keep him on staff for recruiting but he wanted to further career and he didn't have the coaching chops at the time. He has risen meteorically because of his recruiting chops. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

This. Saban wasn’t hiring Alabama high school coaches to lock up the state. He hired the best coaches and won a shit ton of games. 

2 minutes ago, SameSame said:

He is on his 4th job in 4 years and got laughed out of the NFL. 

He is great at a place like Oregon where his biggest strength (recruiting) is maximized and pairs well with their $trategy.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

He is on his 4th job in 4 years and got laughed out of the NFL. 

He is great at a place like Oregon where his biggest strength (recruiting) is maximized and pairs well with their $trategy.

That's what I'm saying, what has this dude accomplished that pulls kids from South Dallas? 

2022 Rams leading rusher had 783 yds.

2019-2021 SMU had one WR drafted in the 6th round who currently receives kicks for the Browns (James Proche)

I don't get the hype? 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

That's what I'm saying, what has this dude accomplished that pulls kids from South Dallas? 

2022 Rams leading rusher had 783 yds.

2019-2021 SMU had one WR drafted in the 6th round who currently receives kicks for the Browns (James Proche)

I don't get the hype? 

His dad is Reginald Samples, literally Dakorien Moore’s HS coach. And the most respected coach in the area.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2024 at 4:29 PM, Michael Knight said:

Every fucking year its the same story, the narrative about some perceived weakness on the team is parroted by the 9.95ers and the usual chicken littles are up in arms about all these recruits we're missing out on, from OL to LB to DE to CB to WR and now DT. The same fucking people saying we were doomed on the DL last year because we only had a bunch of jags and Bo couldn't recruit are now lamenting the loss of Sweat and Murphy because it definitely means we're gonna suck now. It must be so exhausting but I imagine even during the Saban days people would whine about losing some recruit to LSU or Georgia. Stop constructing Madden or NCAA 14 rosters in your mind and take a look at our fucking roster right now. Maybe you'll realize we have it pretty damn good, shit look at the QB room you know the most important position in all of football. Or keep bitching about how obviously Texas doesn't have supreme NIL and why oh why can't we just money whip these recruits to boost our rankings

Fuckin A Comedy Central GIF by Drunk History

“Relationships matter”… Like a week ago, Moore was tweeting about how much he liked and respected Sark

45 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Just looked and in 2024 it was 3 (Simmons, Black, Filsaime) and 2023 was also 3 (Cook, Hill, McDonald). 2022 was 2 (Campbell, Banks).

Wait til the Campbell to Ducks rumors start flying.

For sure. Austin has some of the shittiest weather on the planet. 
Winter in Texas (outside of the panhandle) is nice pretty much statewide, but the long ass summers do suck.

45 minutes ago, SameSame said:

I talked to a coach that was on a staff with him that said he can't draw up a basic defense on the white board.  Pure Incompetence as a coach. But great recruiter.

Gerry said two days ago none of his current hi’s have come off the board yet. He said he won’t even do hi’s for defensive lineman because of how wild the swings can be in those recruitments.

Thanks for the insight

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

There are teams that we play that need to be buried when we have the chance.  No more quarter for OU, Notre Dame and Oregon.  Fuck ‘em all.

IMG_3784.gif.38c94f56a5b14e5b1be2963c04f5e298.gif

I’d love for buried when we have a chance to be a fact but we haven’t done that in so long it seems impossible, including last year against teams we should have. I hope this is the year we return to that for sure.  Remember when we thought backups QB’s without anyone getting hurt would get tons of playing time last season before it started…. 

Edited by Hook1997