Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

It saddens me that you can be this dumb and also a doctor. 

The LSU moderators have come out and openly admitted that they can’t compete with Texas in NIL. If a player picks LSU, it isn’t for better NIL.

I am that dumb, because I believe that this shit is self-inflicted: I still think players are saying to themselves that the money is close enough to where the player decides to go to the preferred school (for whatever reason). I refuse to believe that the player is saying that Texas is offering $100K more but that he wants to go to LSU anyway. This cycle we have had to deal with tOSU and Oregon or in this case Georgia changing the market.

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If you of the idiotic notion that Texas just needs to big dick the market by going double x what others are offering, for WRs, no less, we all saw how that worked out already. 

I think we have let teams like LSU hang around the rim and while we are dicking around, other schools have jump into the fray and changed the dynamic. Moore was different in that he was Sark's "must have" and we gave him a very good offer but he continued to market himself anyway. I don't get the feeling that the same dynamic would happen with Ffrench and Lockett. Moore was just a loss. Shit happens. But when you look at non-WRs, we have lost two to LSU and are about to lose a DB to them. Three guys plus a WR - to LSU. That shit should not be happening regardless of circumstances/excuses.

31 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I’ve already addressed what is actually turbofucking this cycle for us. Until Sarkisian and Banks wake up or Brandon Harris gets super smart and competent, it doesn’t matter what kind of NIL stockpile Texas is sitting on currently. 

What will it take for this to be corrected? Who does Sark listen to? Only CDC? I'm only asking because we were fucked on DL recruiting, then you mentioned maybe Sark saw the light and was willing to correct their approach to DL. I won't be the one to debate whether it is or isn't fixed, but how does this get fixed? Is it possible Brandon Harris gets moved on prior to the season starting or is this typically handled the season post mortem?

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

I think we have let teams like LSU hang around the rim and while we are dicking around, other schools have jump into the fray and changed the dynamic. Moore was different in that he was Sark's "must have" and we gave him a very good offer but he continued to market himself anyway. I don't get the feeling that the same dynamic would happen with Ffrench and Lockett. Moore was just a loss. Shit happens. But when you look at non-WRs, we have lost two to LSU and are about to lose a DB to them. Three guys plus a WR - to LSU. That shit should not be happening regardless of circumstances/excuses.

Texas is losing that kid, but that is just the risk of recruiting Louisiana. LSU completely ignored him. Got in late. They offered and he immediately postponed his commitment announcement. That will happen from time to time. Some kids dont want to leave the state. 

12 minutes ago, Bevo said:

So....convince your primary targets to come off their timeline and lock them in early?

Like USC?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

So....convince your primary targets to come off their timeline and lock them in early?

Like USC?

Good point - 

What is tOSU doing that we aren’t? I don’t think they are having the same issues that we are having. Maybe, we should use them as a model.

USC’s issue may be something else. Based on my theory, others have swooped in because USC’s offer was too close to market. Maybe USC is failing by not handholding enough after the commitment. 

what’s your gut tell you?

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

No one is “changing the market”.  What are you dums dums working yourself into a frenzy over?

Oregon has done what Oregon can always do. 

Ohio State hasn’t won anyone over some NIL preference. They straight up beat Texas for several guys that Texas seemed to either not really be on in the first place or got outhustled by as time passed. 

Georgia? They’re the big dog in recruiting due to on-field performance and getting guys into the NFL. That is always a dogfight. 

If you of the idiotic notion that Texas just needs to big dick the market by going double x what others are offering, for WRs, no less, we all saw how that worked out already. 

The sense of entitlement and indignant from people on the boards right now who have done nothing and know nothing is at all time high. Keep pounding the table with both fists until y’all get what you want though. 

I’ve already addressed what is actually turbofucking this cycle for us. Until Sarkisian and Banks wake up or Brandon Harris gets super smart and competent, it doesn’t matter what kind of NIL stockpile Texas is sitting on currently. 

What do you think has changed with Sark? It seemed like he had this process well in hand the last few years. Does he just not trust the other coaches besides Banks? Tashard Choice has certainly proven himself, and Flood has done pretty well too. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

The sense of entitlement and indignant from people on the boards right now who have done nothing and know nothing is at all time high. Keep pounding the table with both fists until y’all get what you want though. 

With regards to the last paragraph, I’m much more interested in why this might be happening than the fact that it is. Any guesses? I mean, the past three years went pretty well from a recruiting standpoint. Why change?

lol. Just saw Duane’s post

Edited by Ricky Butler

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Good point - 

What is tOSU doing that we aren’t? I don’t think they are having the same issues that we are having. Maybe, we should use them as a model.

USC’s issue may be something else. Based on my theory, others have swooped in because USC’s offer was too close to market. Maybe USC is failing by not handholding enough after the commitment. 

what’s your gut tell you?

tOSU has corporate cash that rivals ours, a nearly unbroken history of team success and NFL placement, and a strong recruiting front and back office staff that's been together for some time. Let's just do that!

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

Have 4 WRs drafted in the first round in the last three years. Have 10 players drafted in the first round in the last 5 years. Win an average of 11 games a year over like a 20 year span. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Glasscock got an offer for more money and more power. Sarkisian told him "good luck". 

After that, Sarkisian didn't exactly scour the earth for the best man/woman possible. Then, he promotes an immature yes man to do what he's told in a key role. He also hired an unknown at DL coach and didn't allow the guy to cast a wide net. 

A lot of that is hubris from a guy feeling good about himself and what's he's building. It's a management trap that many of us have fallen into, and the only ways out involve the ability to listen to wise counsel and be very introspective. I think Sarkisian has both of those abilities. Can he recognize the issues and get a grip on them? I don't know. It may take a rake-stepping asswhipping of a 15th ranked class when they should have been top 3-5 to fix it. Texas being Texas, they may still wind up with an imbalanced but highly ranked class, around 5-6. Will that still spur the belief in the need for change? 

I don't know those answers. I do know that the past few weeks have led to negative feedback about certain elements, making its way out to people involved with helping things along from the outside. Maybe that is indicative, hopefully, of changes coming. Whether the changes needed involve hiring an exec, demoting or firing, and at what roles, I don't know. In a new era of unlimited coaches, one thing they should absolutely be doing is looking to hire someone who is an absolute badass at recruiting and unemployed because they suck at coaching. Give them an assistant TB coach or ST coach title and get their ass to work. 

Would be on-brand to fuck away the momentum of a playoff appearance, conference championship, and double-digit draft picks. I think they'll recover and close strong (5-7 range), but it really should be a top 3 class. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

No one is “changing the market”.  What are you dums dums working yourself into a frenzy over?

Oregon has done what Oregon can always do. 

Ohio State hasn’t won anyone over some NIL preference. They straight up beat Texas for several guys that Texas seemed to either not really be on in the first place or got outhustled by as time passed. 

Georgia? They’re the big dog in recruiting due to on-field performance and getting guys into the NFL. That is always a dogfight. 

Animated GIF

5 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Screenshot(53).thumb.png.7e34a0acf866a0d9785af028cc117cef.png

Meh, kid is good but it's nice not to be worried about the qb room. Even if the dville qb sticks to bama, I think we'd still find a worthy qb. Curious how the Sark c-suite would react since they seemingly decided to stick with KJ as our guy. 

I worry we jumped all in on nil and the development piece which should be absolutely fucking massive #1 sell right now has gotten forgotten about with all the Lamborghini bullshit. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Meh, kid is good but it's nice not to be worried about the qb room. Even if the dville qb sticks to bama, I think we'd still find a worthy qb. Curious how the Sark c-suite would react since they seemingly decided to stick with KJ as our guy. 

The shine seems to have worn off Lacey over the last year. Not saying he isn't a good prospect, but there was quite a bit of hype when he initially committed, and he has steadily dropped in the rankings since.

This would be a bad year to have a QB exit the class less than 5 months from signing day. It would compound all the other issues, considering you want those guys to usually be the ringleader of the class.

I feel the staff may look back in a few years and wish they had a do-over with the Lacey/Russell situation. Regardless, QB is still in a fine spot pipeline-wise with Arch/Owens and Dia Bell in 2026. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The shine seems to have worn off Lacey over the last year. Not saying he isn't a good prospect, but there was quite a bit of hype when he initially committed, and he has steadily dropped in the rankings since.

This would be a bad year to have a QB exit the class less than 5 months from signing day. It would compound all the other issues, considering you want those guys to usually be the ringleader of the class.

I feel the staff may look back in a few years and wish they had a do-over with the Lacey/Russell situation. Regardless, QB is still in a fine spot pipeline-wise with Arch/Owens and Dia Bell in 2026. 

He hasn't grown much, which I think is a big part of it. He's really small. But so was Bryce Young...

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, texifornia said:

tOSU has corporate cash that rivals ours, a nearly unbroken history of team success and NFL placement, and a strong recruiting front and back office staff that's been together for some time. Let's just do that!

I like your post.

That's all true. Prior to Urban they recruited mainly Ohio, Pennsylvania, Illinois and New Jersey. During Urban, they paid and got lots of IMG guys and other guys in the deep South to bring in speed. This has continued post-Urban. It surprises me that with NIL, that tOSU can still pull so well in the South when Texas and various other schools are paying equal money. During the Dobbins time period, tOSU was out recruiting Texas in Texas. Currently, for this cycle tOSU is pretty darn close to us in the Top 10 in Texas. That's - not good.

59 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I like your post.

That's all true. Prior to Urban they recruited mainly Ohio, Pennsylvania, Illinois and New Jersey. During Urban, they paid and got lots of IMG guys and other guys in the deep South to bring in speed. This has continued post-Urban. It surprises me that with NIL, that tOSU can still pull so well in the South when Texas and various other schools are paying equal money. During the Dobbins time period, tOSU was out recruiting Texas in Texas. Currently, for this cycle tOSU is pretty darn close to us in the Top 10 in Texas. That's - not good.

Fucking Day....that creep can roll, man.

When he moved to Columbus he had to go door to door to tell everyone he was a pederast.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

image.thumb.png.ff6985c8d081301632b265258d44efcb.png

Does not affect Oregon's recruiting class one bit, as said earlier today

11 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Does a company need 32 vps and 112 eds?  And those are just the ones they let go. 

Ever seen a finance firm org chart? They're all VPs

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

What will it take for this to be corrected? Who does Sark listen to? Only CDC? I'm only asking because we were fucked on DL recruiting, then you mentioned maybe Sark saw the light and was willing to correct their approach to DL. I won't be the one to debate whether it is or isn't fixed, but how does this get fixed? Is it possible Brandon Harris gets moved on prior to the season starting or is this typically handled the season post mortem?

Sark since he has been here seems like someone that has to sit down and slowly plus patiently play out scenarios. That is why in my view he seems to be unable to make timely in game adjustments and why in season one or two when asked how he would fix some issues on defense he answered he would look at it after the season. So this is not getting corrected until after February 2025 based on my view of Sark's way of handling problems.

5 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Again, this has nothing to do with Oregon’s NIL. Knight is funding it with his personal assets. 

I think I see the problem: you’re directing this at people that can’t read. Can anyone translate this into pictographs? @THUJONE perhaps?