Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

4 minutes ago, Hornmatic said:

What happened to cause the banner? This is one of the few threads I check regularly so I’m like a child wandering into the middle of a movie. 

Trump shooting.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Hornmatic said:

What happened to cause the banner? This is one of the few threads I check regularly so I’m like a child wandering into the middle of a movie. 

Carl is back and talking about the lack of Thots at Texas compared to other SEC schools.

• Haha 5
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I’m not interested in getting political, but your description of circumstances can get immediately fucked. Negged for attempting to absurdly minimize the assassination attempt on a presidential candidate. I get that this site is a left leaning shithole, but I’m negging if this was about either side. 

The CR fuck boys are gonna get you 

• Hook 'Em 1

Why would anyone talk about politics when we can talk about all the DTs we're going to scramble for in November?

Actually that's a good question. Anyone got any leads on potential late risers we might look at?

13 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

I’d shoot the president for a 5 star DT just sayin

That's just sick and you should be ashamed to have even typed it.  Now, TWO five-star DT's ... 😉

I kid. 

14 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Portal and late flips baby one man’s trash is another’s treasure 

We did pretty well at portal and late flips last year.  Never say die.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hank_Hill said:

I’d shoot the president for a 5 star DT just sayin

Well that’s just great. Now immamac is going to get raided true lies style and made to piss his pants hanging over a dam.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

10 hours ago, tokamak said:

Kelshaun Johnson on Tuesday I think

Tanook Hines and Nick Townsend on Monday.

Nick Townsend is the only likely one, right? Aggie is most likely for Johnson and Hines is Notre Dame.

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Nick Townsend is the only likely one, right? Aggie is most likely for Johnson and Hines is Notre Dame.

At the moment yes. But you know how recruiting goes, the situation is fluid. And the fluid...it's piss.

41 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

As usual, you miss the point.  A band-aid was applied for next season but that is not a long term strategy.

Nah, I didn't miss anything, it was a joke but obviously it hit you hard. Maybe you should just wait until December before shitting your panties.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Revolution512 said:

As usual, you miss the point.  A band-aid was applied for next season but that is not a long term strategy.

I would love to hear your seven point plan for our improvement. Can you post it here so that we can all consume it and feel better about the future? 

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

How are people still without power in Houston? I've seen better infrastructure in Bangladesh

Oh, Lord ... I make a post about recruiting, and somehow, you manage to use that to introduce YET ANOTHER vicious, virulent, vitriolic post about BANGLADESHI INFRASTRUCTURE!!!

Can you please take that to the BANGLADESH INFRASTRUCTURE CLOAK ROOM???

Mods - can you clean this up, please?????

:-))

Edited by Getafix
  • Haha 6

51 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

How are people still without power in Houston? I've seen better infrastructure in Bangladesh

Having lived in South Asia for a large chunk of my life, but not ever having spent much time in Houston, this seems like a really strange comparison... but now I'm going to use this as an insult to my H-town friends.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I would love to hear your seven point plan for our improvement. Can you post it here so that we can all consume it and feel better about the future? 

We're going to win the national championship this year. Then we'll worry about who we can flip and who we can buy in the portal.

Oh, sorry. That's a one point plan.

If Hines goes to Notre Dame or USC that's going to be something we regret. He's a badass.

Edited by Horn Under a Bad Sign

6 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Kenny Baker doing work!

Anyone care to explain?  What’s a retired NFL WR, Kenny Baker, and Texas DL and 3 step drop backs have to do with each other.

insert what da fuk gif

• Haha 1

On 7/13/2024 at 9:54 PM, closetojumping said:

I’m not interested in getting political, but your description of circumstances can get immediately fucked. Negged for attempting to absurdly minimize the assassination attempt on a presidential candidate. I get that this site is a left leaning shithole, but I’m negging if this was about either side. 

Episode 2 Whatever GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Getafix said:

247 Stampede w/ recruiting updates.  Synopsis up top, and then the whole thing, spoilered.

KJ Lacey:  Still Texas.  Horns247 keeping an eye on Auburn's recruiting event next weekend.

Madden Faraimo:  Texas momentum growing, USC still leads, date TBD, may still commit before season kicks off next month.

Nathan Tilmon:  Feeling pretty good about Texas prediction;  Texas vs. Utah battle, Utah pushing hard;  source - Texas stepped up efforts over last couple of weeks, likely to win out.  No official date, but could happen this week.

Jonah Williams:  Several other programs ahead of Texas;  if he delays decision into fall, Texas has an opportunity;  come chance he attends the pool party July 25th.

Nick Brooks:  Kid's gone quiet.  Texas has "quiet optimism."  (Sounds like a lost of psst.) UGA, USC in play, Iowa out.  Flood/Choice teaming up, date unknown.

Nick Townsend:  Announcing today, expect it to be Texas.  Should thank Nansen, Banks, and Sark.  Scruggs - Townsend may be a very good LB prospect, chance he ends up there.  Texas first school to offer on both sides.

Tanook Hines:  USC.  Wouldn't be surprised if Texas made a run at him in the fall.

Full article below ... I bet Scruggs is paid by the word.  Phew!

The Stampede: Texas football recruiting intel with announcements, season on the horizon
Scattershooting a bevy of recruiting notes ahead of a crucial summer stretch for the Longhorns.
Horns247 Staff

Reveal hidden contents

The Stampede: Texas football recruiting intel with announcements, season on the horizon
Scattershooting a bevy of recruiting notes ahead of a crucial summer stretch for the Longhorns.
Horns247 Staff

We're entering a crucial time of the recruiting calendar. 

With plenty 2025 prospects planning on wrapping up their recruitments between now and the start of their senior season, Horns247 brings you the latest intel ahead of a few announcements set to take place over the next few weeks.

Let's roll right into it!

Saraland (Ala.) Top247 QB KJ Lacey — Texas commit

Last week I reported that Auburn is turning up the heat on Longhorns quarterback commit KJ Lacey. This after the JuJu Lewis sweepstakes does not appear set to end on the Plains. A source near the Saraland (Ala.) product's recruitment reinforced that Lacey is "still Texas" despite the Tigers turning up the dial. 

Following up with sources over the weekend, the belief is Lacey is still firm with Texas at this point. We'll obviously keep an eye on whether he shows up to Auburn's end-of-summer recruiting event next weekend, but as of Sunday night there were no plans set to be there. 

It should be noted as well that Auburn is heavily recruiting Notre Dame quarterback commit Deuce Knight, so Lacey is not AU's sole focus at the quarterback position in the wake of the staff moving on from trying to flip Lewis.

Horns247 should have more from Lacey this week. (SOUTH)

SAN JUAN CAPISTRANO (CALIF.) J SERRA CATHOLIC TOP247 LB MADDEN FARAIMO

(Photo: Blair Angulo, 247Sports)
— I caught up with a source over the weekend about San Juan Capistrano (Calif.) J Serra Catholic Top247 linebacker Madden Faraimo. Once thought to be a lock for the Fighting Irish, it only seems as if Texas' chances are growing by the week. Notre Dame is still in front of the pack, but a source believes it's the Longhorns in second place and the childhood favorite USC Trojans in third place. Originally set to come off the board earlier in the summer until postponing his commitment to a TBD date, the source believes the Longhorns are reaping the most benefits of the three contenders in terms of the commitment date continuing to get pushed back. Johnny Nansen and Texas still have more work to do to get this thing done but it's a worthy data point nonetheless as it appears the Longhorns have only continued to improve their chances since the official visit trip to Austin the June 21-23 weekend.

USC is still lingering around and could be viewed as a threat with Faraimo's family wanting him to stay closer to home and the Trojans being the childhood dream school and the program Faraimo pulled for growing up, but again, the source I spoke with views USC as the school currently in third place behind Texas and Notre Dame. Ultimately it seems as if the Trojans simply just waited too long to put the pedal to the medal and didn't really start to prioritize Faraimo until they missed on Noah Mikhail and Riley Pettijohn. Again, the Trojans are still hanging around in the recruitment, but the source I spoke with believes that if Faraimo doesn't end up with Notre Dame it'll be because he's ending up with Texas.

Although the Fighting Irish remain the favorite in this one, Texas has definitely made it interesting as the source believes the Longhorns entrenching themselves into this recruitment this summer is the main reason Faraimo hasn't just gone ahead and committed to Notre Dame already. With Faraimo planning to commit sometime before his senior season kicks off next month, he wants to make sure he makes the right decision and is taking his time as he doesn't want to ever have to go in the transfer portal. Faraimo is also the type of kid to where when he commits to a school, the recruitment is fully shut down, so the source views it as a positive data point for the Longhorns that this recruitment continues to go on and hasn't been shut down yet in favor of Notre Dame. (SCRUGGS)

Faraimo also spoke with 247Sports National Recruiting Analyst Blair Angulo to give the latest on his recruitment. Click HERE for that story.

MANSFIELD TIMBERVIEW THREE-STAR SAFETY NATHAN TILMON

Nathan Tilmon (Photo: 247Sports)
— I've been reporting for about one to two weeks now that Utah is gaining steam in the recruitment of Mansfield Timberview three-star safety Nathan Tilmon and that the Utes should be viewed as the main competition to the Longhorns. With TCU also in the top three, this recruitment continues to be a Utah vs. Texas battle. 

I entered in a 247Sports Crystal Ball prediction in favor of Texas to land the speedy DFW area safety prospect back in June when he was still pledged to SMU, and I'm feeling pretty good about the prediction with Tilmon soon set to announce his decision. For the last few weeks Utah was pushing really hard and definitely improved their chances compared to earlier in the summer, but a source I spoke with over the weekend believes the burnt orange have stepped up the push in the last week with the source now expecting the Longhorns to win the recruitment.

North Crowley three-star linebacker and Texas commit Jonathan Cunningham deciding to shut his recruitment down and commit to the Longhorns over the same schools as Tilmon's top three (TCU and Utah) gave a boost to the burnt orange's chances according to the source, as both Tilmon and Cunningham have a bond and friendship that's been built up over the years through being on the same visits together and growing up competing together. 

That said, Tilmon doesn't have an announcement date that's known, but the source feels pretty good about the Mansfield Timberview product shutting it down in favor of the Longhorns sometime this week. Utah pushed hard over the last few weeks, but with Texas applying some pressure over the last week as well, this thing seems more as if it's only a matter of "when" and not "if" after speaking with my source throughout the weekend. (SCRUGGS)

GALVESTON BALL FIVE-STAR SAFETY JONAH WILLIAMS
Jonah Williams
Jonah Williams (Photo: Collin Kennedy, 247Sports)
— For Texas, five-star prospect Jonah Williams remains a priority target in the class of 2025. But the Galveston (Texas) Ball product hasn't visited campus since April 6. In the time since, programs like Oklahoma, Texas A&M and Oregon have all been perceived as potential landing spots for the nation's No. 1-ranked linebacker (recruited at safety by the Longhorns). 

Williams has intended to make a summer decision after officially visiting USC, LSU, Texas A&M, and Oregon throughout the month of June. There's some chatter of late from speaking with sources that Williams could end up taking his recruitment into the fall. That, of course, would give Texas an opportunity to host the 6-foot-3, 203-pounder on an official visit, something he had originally intended to take. 

To add to that, Williams told Horns247 on Sunday evening there's a chance he'll be back in Austin on July 25 for UT's summer pool party, an event he attended last year as well. 

Texas will continue to chip away here, and has added help with Jim Schlossnagle being hired as the head baseball coach, something Williams — a dual-sport athlete — said helps UT's chances.

Texas currently has one safety commitment in Fort Bend Hightower Top247 defensive back Kade Phillips. (SOUTH)

CEDAR RAPIDS (IOWA) JOHN F. KENNEDY TOP247 OT NICK BROOKS

Nick Brooks (Photo: Sean Bock, 247Sports)
— It's been quiet on the Nick Brooks front since the big 6-foot-7, 345-pounder officially visited Texas June 14-16. The 247Sports Crystal Ball favors Georgia for the Iowa lineman, albeit at a 5 confidence level. Brooks spent time in the Peach State prior to his move to Cedar Rapids. 

As we've stated on Horns247 over the last few weeks, there's been quiet optimism speaking with sources about Texas' chances with the four-star lineman since his visit to Austin. It's hard to have full context in that Brooks has gone somewhat underground since his official visit slate, so you can't rule out UGA, or even USC. You can rule out Iowa, though. Sources tell Horns247 the Hawkeyes are not an option at this point for Brooks, who was at one time committed to Iowa. 

Kyle Flood and Tashard Choice are teaming up on this one to try and bring Brooks to Austin. As far as when a decision could be made, until Brooks himself makes the public aware, it's anyone's guess. (SOUTH)

SPRING DEKANEY TOP247 ATH NICK TOWNSEND

Nick Townsend (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
— Spring Dekaney Top247 ATH Nick Townsend is announcing his commitment today, and Horns247 is still expecting the decision to be in favor of the Longhorns. 

Originally set to commit on Monday of last week, the storms in the Houston area that came from Hurricane Beryl closed all of Spring ISD's buildings and exactly a week later those buildings have still found themselves without power. That said, Townsend could've chosen to delay the announcement one more week in order to have a hostable venue for his commitment ceremony, but at this point in the process the Top247 prospect is feeling ready to just get this thing over with so instead of waiting another week, he'll be announcing his commitment via his social media accounts today at 1:00 PM CT.

If the announcement ended up going through last week, Horns247 expected the Longhorns to win the recruitment. Now with the announcement coming today and not in a formal commitment ceremony, Horns247 still expects the Longhorns to land Townsend. 

Jeff Banks, Johnny Nansen, and Steve Sarkisian are who readers should thank if the commitment ends up coming through in a few hours like Horns247 expects, as the Longhorns were set up incredibly well to hit a grand slam on the Texas official visit and that they did due to the love felt by Townsend from Banks, Nansen, and Sarkisian amongst all the other folks on campus this weekend.

Listed as an athlete, if Texas is the choice then he'd start his career working with the tight ends. But on the same note, Townsend would be a true athlete take and has a chance to end up with the Longhorns' linebackers as Nansen and Texas were the first school to offer Townsend on both sides of the ball. Although Townsend is a guy I'd only expect to play tight end since he's that good at the position, I also would view him as the best linebacker prospect in Houston if he ever came out and said he wants to be a full time linebacker. That said, his addition could be extremely valuable with the fact that he could end up playing linebacker or tight end during his collegiate career.

Townsend's good friend and teammate four-star wide receiver Tanook Hines is also announcing his commitment today at 1:00 PM CT, and Horns247 expects his announcement to be in favor of the USC Trojans. Hines is going to go both ways full time this fall as a starting safety and wide receiver, so if he plays well enough I wouldn't be surprised to see Texas make a run this fall at flipping the dynamic two-way prospect with sub-10.5 100M speed. If the Longhorns land Townsend today like we expect, having Hines' good friend and former teammate already in the boat should only help Texas if they were to make an attempt at flipping Hines in the fall. (SCRUGGS)

since when does USC lead for Faraimo? 

50 minutes ago, Getafix said:

247 Stampede w/ recruiting updates.  Synopsis up top, and then the whole thing, spoilered.

KJ Lacey:  Still Texas.  Horns247 keeping an eye on Auburn's recruiting event next weekend.

Madden Faraimo:  Texas momentum growing, NOTRE DAME  still leads, date TBD, may still commit before season kicks off next month.

Nathan Tilmon:  Feeling pretty good about Texas prediction;  Texas vs. Utah battle, Utah pushing hard;  source - Texas stepped up efforts over last couple of weeks, likely to win out.  No official date, but could happen this week.

Jonah Williams:  Several other programs ahead of Texas;  if he delays decision into fall, Texas has an opportunity;  come chance he attends the pool party July 25th.

Nick Brooks:  Kid's gone quiet.  Texas has "quiet optimism."  (Sounds like a lost of psst.) UGA, USC in play, Iowa out.  Flood/Choice teaming up, date unknown.

Nick Townsend:  Announcing today, expect it to be Texas.  Should thank Nansen, Banks, and Sark.  Scruggs - Townsend may be a very good LB prospect, chance he ends up there.  Texas first school to offer on both sides.

Tanook Hines:  USC.  Wouldn't be surprised if Texas made a run at him in the fall.

Full article below ... I bet Scruggs is paid by the word.  Phew!

Horns247 Staff

Reveal hidden contents

Horns247 Staff

We're entering a crucial time of the recruiting calendar. 

With plenty 2025 prospects planning on wrapping up their recruitments between now and the start of their senior season, Horns247 brings you the latest intel ahead of a few announcements set to take place over the next few weeks.

Let's roll right into it!

Saraland (Ala.) Top247 QB KJ Lacey — Texas commit

Last week I reported that Auburn is turning up the heat on Longhorns quarterback commit KJ Lacey. This after the JuJu Lewis sweepstakes does not appear set to end on the Plains. A source near the Saraland (Ala.) product's recruitment reinforced that Lacey is "still Texas" despite the Tigers turning up the dial. 

Following up with sources over the weekend, the belief is Lacey is still firm with Texas at this point. We'll obviously keep an eye on whether he shows up to Auburn's end-of-summer recruiting event next weekend, but as of Sunday night there were no plans set to be there. 

It should be noted as well that Auburn is heavily recruiting Notre Dame quarterback commit Deuce Knight, so Lacey is not AU's sole focus at the quarterback position in the wake of the staff moving on from trying to flip Lewis.

Horns247 should have more from Lacey this week. (SOUTH)

SAN JUAN CAPISTRANO (CALIF.) J SERRA CATHOLIC TOP247 LB MADDEN FARAIMO

(Photo: Blair Angulo, 247Sports)
— I caught up with a source over the weekend about San Juan Capistrano (Calif.) J Serra Catholic Top247 linebacker Madden Faraimo. Once thought to be a lock for the Fighting Irish, it only seems as if Texas' chances are growing by the week. Notre Dame is still in front of the pack, but a source believes it's the Longhorns in second place and the childhood favorite USC Trojans in third place. Originally set to come off the board earlier in the summer until postponing his commitment to a TBD date, the source believes the Longhorns are reaping the most benefits of the three contenders in terms of the commitment date continuing to get pushed back. Johnny Nansen and Texas still have more work to do to get this thing done but it's a worthy data point nonetheless as it appears the Longhorns have only continued to improve their chances since the official visit trip to Austin the June 21-23 weekend.

USC is still lingering around and could be viewed as a threat with Faraimo's family wanting him to stay closer to home and the Trojans being the childhood dream school and the program Faraimo pulled for growing up, but again, the source I spoke with views USC as the school currently in third place behind Texas and Notre Dame. Ultimately it seems as if the Trojans simply just waited too long to put the pedal to the medal and didn't really start to prioritize Faraimo until they missed on Noah Mikhail and Riley Pettijohn. Again, the Trojans are still hanging around in the recruitment, but the source I spoke with believes that if Faraimo doesn't end up with Notre Dame it'll be because he's ending up with Texas.

Although the Fighting Irish remain the favorite in this one, Texas has definitely made it interesting as the source believes the Longhorns entrenching themselves into this recruitment this summer is the main reason Faraimo hasn't just gone ahead and committed to Notre Dame already. With Faraimo planning to commit sometime before his senior season kicks off next month, he wants to make sure he makes the right decision and is taking his time as he doesn't want to ever have to go in the transfer portal. Faraimo is also the type of kid to where when he commits to a school, the recruitment is fully shut down, so the source views it as a positive data point for the Longhorns that this recruitment continues to go on and hasn't been shut down yet in favor of Notre Dame. (SCRUGGS)

Faraimo also spoke with 247Sports National Recruiting Analyst Blair Angulo to give the latest on his recruitment. Click HERE for that story.

MANSFIELD TIMBERVIEW THREE-STAR SAFETY NATHAN TILMON

Nathan Tilmon (Photo: 247Sports)
— I've been reporting for about one to two weeks now that Utah is gaining steam in the recruitment of Mansfield Timberview three-star safety Nathan Tilmon and that the Utes should be viewed as the main competition to the Longhorns. With TCU also in the top three, this recruitment continues to be a Utah vs. Texas battle. 

I entered in a 247Sports Crystal Ball prediction in favor of Texas to land the speedy DFW area safety prospect back in June when he was still pledged to SMU, and I'm feeling pretty good about the prediction with Tilmon soon set to announce his decision. For the last few weeks Utah was pushing really hard and definitely improved their chances compared to earlier in the summer, but a source I spoke with over the weekend believes the burnt orange have stepped up the push in the last week with the source now expecting the Longhorns to win the recruitment.

North Crowley three-star linebacker and Texas commit Jonathan Cunningham deciding to shut his recruitment down and commit to the Longhorns over the same schools as Tilmon's top three (TCU and Utah) gave a boost to the burnt orange's chances according to the source, as both Tilmon and Cunningham have a bond and friendship that's been built up over the years through being on the same visits together and growing up competing together. 

That said, Tilmon doesn't have an announcement date that's known, but the source feels pretty good about the Mansfield Timberview product shutting it down in favor of the Longhorns sometime this week. Utah pushed hard over the last few weeks, but with Texas applying some pressure over the last week as well, this thing seems more as if it's only a matter of "when" and not "if" after speaking with my source throughout the weekend. (SCRUGGS)

GALVESTON BALL FIVE-STAR SAFETY JONAH WILLIAMS
Jonah Williams
Jonah Williams (Photo: Collin Kennedy, 247Sports)
— For Texas, five-star prospect Jonah Williams remains a priority target in the class of 2025. But the Galveston (Texas) Ball product hasn't visited campus since April 6. In the time since, programs like Oklahoma, Texas A&M and Oregon have all been perceived as potential landing spots for the nation's No. 1-ranked linebacker (recruited at safety by the Longhorns). 

Williams has intended to make a summer decision after officially visiting USC, LSU, Texas A&M, and Oregon throughout the month of June. There's some chatter of late from speaking with sources that Williams could end up taking his recruitment into the fall. That, of course, would give Texas an opportunity to host the 6-foot-3, 203-pounder on an official visit, something he had originally intended to take. 

To add to that, Williams told Horns247 on Sunday evening there's a chance he'll be back in Austin on July 25 for UT's summer pool party, an event he attended last year as well. 

Texas will continue to chip away here, and has added help with Jim Schlossnagle being hired as the head baseball coach, something Williams — a dual-sport athlete — said helps UT's chances.

Texas currently has one safety commitment in Fort Bend Hightower Top247 defensive back Kade Phillips. (SOUTH)

CEDAR RAPIDS (IOWA) JOHN F. KENNEDY TOP247 OT NICK BROOKS

Nick Brooks (Photo: Sean Bock, 247Sports)
— It's been quiet on the Nick Brooks front since the big 6-foot-7, 345-pounder officially visited Texas June 14-16. The 247Sports Crystal Ball favors Georgia for the Iowa lineman, albeit at a 5 confidence level. Brooks spent time in the Peach State prior to his move to Cedar Rapids. 

As we've stated on Horns247 over the last few weeks, there's been quiet optimism speaking with sources about Texas' chances with the four-star lineman since his visit to Austin. It's hard to have full context in that Brooks has gone somewhat underground since his official visit slate, so you can't rule out UGA, or even USC. You can rule out Iowa, though. Sources tell Horns247 the Hawkeyes are not an option at this point for Brooks, who was at one time committed to Iowa. 

Kyle Flood and Tashard Choice are teaming up on this one to try and bring Brooks to Austin. As far as when a decision could be made, until Brooks himself makes the public aware, it's anyone's guess. (SOUTH)

SPRING DEKANEY TOP247 ATH NICK TOWNSEND

Nick Townsend (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
— Spring Dekaney Top247 ATH Nick Townsend is announcing his commitment today, and Horns247 is still expecting the decision to be in favor of the Longhorns. 

Originally set to commit on Monday of last week, the storms in the Houston area that came from Hurricane Beryl closed all of Spring ISD's buildings and exactly a week later those buildings have still found themselves without power. That said, Townsend could've chosen to delay the announcement one more week in order to have a hostable venue for his commitment ceremony, but at this point in the process the Top247 prospect is feeling ready to just get this thing over with so instead of waiting another week, he'll be announcing his commitment via his social media accounts today at 1:00 PM CT.

If the announcement ended up going through last week, Horns247 expected the Longhorns to win the recruitment. Now with the announcement coming today and not in a formal commitment ceremony, Horns247 still expects the Longhorns to land Townsend. 

Jeff Banks, Johnny Nansen, and Steve Sarkisian are who readers should thank if the commitment ends up coming through in a few hours like Horns247 expects, as the Longhorns were set up incredibly well to hit a grand slam on the Texas official visit and that they did due to the love felt by Townsend from Banks, Nansen, and Sarkisian amongst all the other folks on campus this weekend.

Listed as an athlete, if Texas is the choice then he'd start his career working with the tight ends. But on the same note, Townsend would be a true athlete take and has a chance to end up with the Longhorns' linebackers as Nansen and Texas were the first school to offer Townsend on both sides of the ball. Although Townsend is a guy I'd only expect to play tight end since he's that good at the position, I also would view him as the best linebacker prospect in Houston if he ever came out and said he wants to be a full time linebacker. That said, his addition could be extremely valuable with the fact that he could end up playing linebacker or tight end during his collegiate career.

Townsend's good friend and teammate four-star wide receiver Tanook Hines is also announcing his commitment today at 1:00 PM CT, and Horns247 expects his announcement to be in favor of the USC Trojans. Hines is going to go both ways full time this fall as a starting safety and wide receiver, so if he plays well enough I wouldn't be surprised to see Texas make a run this fall at flipping the dynamic two-way prospect with sub-10.5 100M speed. If the Longhorns land Townsend today like we expect, having Hines' good friend and former teammate already in the boat should only help Texas if they were to make an attempt at flipping Hines in the fall. (SCRUGGS)

I assume we will get Townsend and will end up with a strong class, but the news lately hasn't been very favorable.

25 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I assume we will get Townsend and will end up with a strong class, but the news lately hasn't been very favorable.

I think people are sleeping on Townsend, might be the most likely NFL player on offense in the state of Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 4

21 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I think people are sleeping on Townsend, might be the most likely NFL player on offense in the state of Texas. 

Outside of Moore or Fasusi, maybe so. Hell, he might not even wind up playing offense. I’ll be happy if he picks Texas today, for sure. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Outside of Moore or Fasusi, maybe so. Hell, he might not even wind up playing offense. I’ll be happy if he picks Texas today, for sure. 

That would be the 3 in my view, assuming Townsend plays TE. 

I sell WRs in general. They are maybe the most plentiful position in football (especially in Texas)and its is also a position that has more busts, than you would expect. (inside Texas did some work on bust rates by position and WR had the lowest draft rate amond top 100 players.)

Edited by Codaxx

18 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I sell WRs in general. They are maybe the most plentiful position in football (especially in Texas)and its is also a position that has more busts, than you would expect. (inside Texas did some work on bust rates by position and WR had the lowest draft rate amond top 100 players.)

decided to look

Top 100 players drafted by position: 

1. DE - 60%

2. Athlete - 53.8%

3. TE- 53.6%

4. OT- 52.9%

5. CB - 45.7%

6. RB- 40.6%

7. QB- 40.3%

8- IOL- 40.0%

9. S- 39%

10. DT- 38.6%

11. LB- 33%

12. WR- 30.8%

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Yeah, I’m with you on WRs usually, but my friends more directly involved with the landscape are swearing on a stack of bibles that Moore is a better version of Waddle and the best WR recruit in Texas since him. Still wouldn’t surprise me if he busts though. 

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Top 100 players drafted by position: 

1. DE - 60%

2. Athlete - 53.8%

3. TE- 53.6%

4. OT- 52.9%

5. CB - 45.7%

6. RB- 40.6%

7. QB- 40.3%

8- IOL- 40.0%

9. S- 39%

10. DT- 38.6%

11. LB- 33%

12. WR- 30.8%

The Top 100 has a lot more skill position players than trench players. If you corrected for the number of Top 100 prospects by position, the numbers would look even worse.

I'm surprised athletes do so well from prospect to draft.

• Hook 'Em 1