Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

Yeah, I’m with you on WRs usually, but my friends more directly involved with the landscape are swearing on a stack of bibles that Moore is a better version of Waddle and the best WR recruit in Texas since him. Still wouldn’t surprise me if he busts though. 

How does/did Johntay Cook stack up in this mix coming out of high school?

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

The Top 100 has a lot more skill position players than trench players. If you corrected for the number of Top 100 prospects by position, the numbers would look even worse.

I'm surprised athletes do so well from prospect to draft.

Outside of WR and maybe OT, it shows the services are pretty good at measuring pure athleticism. Positions that require more mental aspects of the game (QB/LB/S) and projections on body development (DT/OL), the services struggle. 

5 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Supposedly the top of our TE board was Townsend, Armstrong, Winston. The staff loves Townsend.

Kaleb Edwards might have been above Townsend and Armstrong, but he went Bama. Townsend is still an awesome get.

9 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Supposedly the top of our TE board was Townsend, Armstrong, Winston. The staff loves Townsend.

Townsend is definitely the best athlete of those 3. I honestly think he has NFL potential as an outside LB. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Kaleb Edwards might have been above Townsend and Armstrong, but he went Bama. Townsend is still an awesome get.

Kaleb Edwards was a hedge in case we lost out on the other guys. Townsend was leaning elsewhere earlier in the cycle. 
Townsend was the main guy once we got traction. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Gerry has said Townsend is open to playing defense(LB) if need be as well. Just a straight up football player 

Yeah he and Bobby have said more than once Townsend is “physical” enough to play defense, isn’t dead set on offense like JT Sanders.

If he’s already 6’3, 235 lbs., does he become another edge? Seems like he might grow out of LB. Has Anthony Hill’s exact height and weight already.

52 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I didn’t know he was JT Sanders size. Seems modern TE’s are more in the 6’5 or 6’6 range. But I’ve always said if you can play you can play, sounds like a solid get. 

Well, that was painfully obvious.

1 hour ago, MuellerHorn said:

Listed at 6'3, 235... Are you at all familiar with a certain TE that just got drafted from Texas?

should add Townsend ran a fully automatic 10.92 100m at district. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

I still can't believe that we dedicate entire separate threads to recent commits, and don't talk about them at all in there. Just post the same random pictures over and over. 

Generally, we talk about them before they commit. It is the summer so there isn't any real football so I wouldn't expect too much useful opinion. All we have is clips. Then into their senior year, there will be random comments from people who attend games or 9.95ers. Then, afterwards it will be comments on the football board.

2 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

How does/did Johntay Cook stack up in this mix coming out of high school?

Cook is well trained and prepared for the WR position from working with arguable the top WR trainer in state. Runs great routes and even has the prototype WR attitude. 

But Moore has a gear that flat out is god given. Super fast and the speed shows on the field not just in track times. Great in and out of breaks. 

Of course he could always bust or prove to be super soft. Believe it or not, Evan Stewart has some of those same crazy acceleration and speed qualities, he just is a pussy and his family talks to much. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Generally, we talk about them before they commit. It is the summer so there isn't any real football so I wouldn't expect too much useful opinion. All we have is clips. Then into their senior year, there will be random comments from people who attend games or 9.95ers. Then, afterwards it will be comments on the football board.

Oh this isn't just a summer thing. 

And clips would be something actually useful to put in a commit thread.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Oh this isn't just a summer thing. 

And clips would be something actually useful to put in a commit thread.

It's like reading through the replies on a happy birthday group text.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

I still can't believe that we dedicate entire separate threads to recent commits, and don't talk about them at all in there. Just post the same random pictures over and over. 

My experience on this site has taught me that commitment threads are just for pictures of boobs and hot girls wearing UT gear 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

9 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

My experience on this site has taught me that commitment threads are just for pictures of boobs and hot girls wearing UT gear 

You forgot Matt McConaughey and the Bollywood dance meme, among other standards. But the boobs usually make it bearable for a second or two.

It would be especially helpful for those that don’t follow recruiting 24/7. There are some cycles I follow less closely and it’d be nice to know where the player fell on our board or how big a deal the commit exactly is. 

It’d be nice for that information to be succinctly displayed on the commit thread, rather than spread across dozens of pages spanning months, but I get why it’s more of celebration than useful discussion. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The problem with those commitment threads is that the gatekeepers won't allow critical discussion about that player and it becomes a celebration thread. If you were allowed to comment about how shitty someone is there,  maybe we wouldn't be so surprised when he turns out to be shitty when he is here. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

The problem is right now the 3 star project receives the same responses as a 5 star game breaker. Maybe the hotness of the reaction gifs can be correlated to the commit’s expected impact. Just spitballing here… 

10 minutes ago, Hornmatic said:

The problem is right now the 3 star project receives the same responses as a 5 star game breaker. Maybe the hotness of the reaction gifs can be correlated to the commit’s expected impact. Just spitballing here… 

Walk on announcements get Bea Arthur? 

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1