Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

12 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Get Lockett and Ffrench and we're good

Exactly.  Nobody on here even really cared about Kelshaun until Moore committed to Oregon.

Frankly, one or the other out of Lockett and Ffrench (my personal fav) would be fine.  We have several holes on the team that need shoring up this cycle, but WR isn't one of them.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Lonestar88 said:

We also treated him like a backup plan for most of the cycle. The decision makes sense. Still two whales on the board though.

We all like Gerry, but the “hi” thing is objectively stupid.

I agree. Since there's no way to verify who the "hi" is, it's more than stupid, it's embarrassingly stupid. 

20 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I agree. Since there's no way to verify who the "hi" is, it's more than stupid, it's embarrassingly stupid. 

But it adds drama, and that makes recruiting fun

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

We also treated him like a backup plan for most of the cycle. The decision makes sense. Still two whales on the board though.

We all like Gerry, but the “hi” thing is objectively stupid.

It's objectively subjective.

On 7/16/2024 at 6:24 AM, Hornmatic said:

The problem is right now the 3 star project receives the same responses as a 5 star game breaker. Maybe the hotness of the reaction gifs can be correlated to the commit’s expected impact. Just spitballing here… 

Listen dude, your dick needs to get just as hard for a 5 as it does for a 10. Otherwise, you’re only banging 10s…

Wait, I just figured out why Surly posters only bang 10s.

2 hours ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Listen dude, your dick needs to get just as hard for a 5 as it does for a 10. Otherwise, you’re only banging 10s…

This is an understated life lesson I plan on passing along to my son.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, closetojumping said:

For normal NIL, Texas and Ohio State aren’t really any different from one another. Oregon is its own thing. 

Your posts always suggest one of two things:

#1 Oregon is on another level than everyone else when it comes to NIL $

#2 The key targets we are losing to Oregon are making decisions that aren't based on $

It's a big stew of cognitive dissonance.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

This is an understated life lesson I plan on passing along to my son.

I don't think whiskey dick is a problem for the yutes these days. Hot teacher thread should clear up any uncertainty.

1 minute ago, Josef Pwag said:

#2 The key targets we are losing to Oregon are making decisions that aren't based on $

Yeah, I've gotten tired of arguing the point - We've been told that we matched Oregon and the recruits in question just preferred the atmosphere there - more white chicks and fewer city problems and better weather and a better weight room and flashier school colors.

• Hook 'Em 3

30 minutes ago, Josef Pwag said:

It seems like Sharma was money whipped and with Moore we were in the ballpark but he liked other things they offered too. Besides our targets they are money whipping prospects across the country which makes them on another level. 

5 minutes ago, Hornmatic said:

It seems like Sharma was money whipped and with Moore we were in the ballpark but he liked other things they offered too. Besides our targets they are money whipping prospects across the country which makes them on another level. 

Yeah, I believe it to some extent but I don't accept it. People are aware of my position that Sharma was a "must have" recruit and I'm done arguing.

16 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Yeah, I believe it to some extent but I don't accept it. People are aware of my position that Sharma was a "must have" recruit and I'm done arguing.

He's a local recruit by Oregon's standards, his friend and QB is Oregon's top target in the next class, and Oregon has an unlimited checkbook. I'm curious what you thought our play there was.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He's a local recruit by Oregon's standards, his friend and QB is Oregon's top target in the next class, and Oregon has an unlimited checkbook. I'm curious what you thought our play there was.

I'm trying to avoid getting into an argument and this baits me into it. So, I'll try not to respond. Let's say that we considered Sharma's value equivalent to Moore's and we got beat by Oregon's open pocketbook at $1.3M. Fine. Well we also lost DL recruits to FSU and LSU. Those were different numbers. The response is that we don't want to money whip players and ruin the locker room. So, I put the question back to you, what is your solution? Hiring Glasscock won't fix that dissonance. It will only be useful in beating whatever plan is needed into the head of Sark.

38 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I'm trying to avoid getting into an argument and this baits me into it. So, I'll try not to respond. Let's say that we considered Sharma's value equivalent to Moore's and we got beat by Oregon's open pocketbook at $1.3M. Fine. Well we also lost DL recruits to FSU and LSU. Those were different numbers. The response is that we don't want to money whip players and ruin the locker room. So, I put the question back to you, what is your solution? Hiring Glasscock won't fix that dissonance. It will only be useful in beating whatever plan is needed into the head of Sark.

Glasscock lets you know that Charles really loves Florida State, Sharma is going to go for a number that would be a stupid allocation of resources, and Williams' girlfriend is getting into LSU because it's not a real school, so we need to adjust what we're doing and make a plan. Instead it appears we have Brendan Harris mindlessly saying "yeah they really like us!"

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I do not think there is a singular factor, that can explain things. 

1. Texas hasnt recruited at DT well for quite some time.. Given the amount of portal takes there, that is hard to argue

2. Texas went with an unknown at DT in Baker. Bigger issue is he had 0 contact with DT recruits prior to Jan/Feb.. 

3. Weak DT class in state this year. Forcing Texas to play from behind in national recruitments with an inexperienced DT coach.

4. NIL just adds, so much volatility to recruitments. I believe the Sharma number was 800k and is for the 29th ranked DL in the nation. I do  think he is under-rated, but he is currently ranked 1 spot above Rink in the national rankings. There just isnt much you can do to stop someone from overspending on a single recruit. 

5. DT is arguably the most competitive position to recruit. 

The solution is not easy. I completely agree with Gerry on DT recruiting. Texas did not recruit enough names. Maybe it was hubris on Sark's part, but hopefully it was a lesson learned. Maybe it was a mistake that would have been avoided with an adult in the room running recruiting (Glasscock). That we will never know

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Texas Percentages that Gerry dropped this morning:

Ffrench- 70%

Lockett- 55%, A&M 35%, Bama 10%

Fasusi- 40% (OU 45%)

Brooks- 65%

Sanders- 37.5% (A&M also 37.5%)

Faraimo- 46% (Notre Dame 49%)

Tilmon- 40% (Utah 40%)

Anding- 36% (LSU 38%)

Terry- 65%

• Hook 'Em 5

7 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I do not think there is a singular factor, that can explain things. 

1. Texas hasnt recruited at DT well for quite some time.. Given the amount of portal takes there, that is hard to argue

2. Texas went with an unknown at DT in Baker. Bigger issue is he had 0 contact with DT recruits prior to Jan/Feb.. 

3. Weak DT class in state this year. Forcing Texas to play from behind in national recruitments with an inexperienced DT coach.

4. NIL just adds, so much volatility to recruitments. I believe the Sharma number was 800k and is for the 29th ranked DL in the nation. I do  think he is under-rated, but he is currently ranked 1 spot above Rink in the national rankings. There just isnt much you can do to stop someone from overspending on a single recruit. 

5. DT is arguably the most competitive position to recruit. 

The solution is not easy. I completely agree with Gerry on DT recruiting. Texas did not recruit enough names. Maybe it was hubris on Sark's part, but hopefully it was a lesson learned. Maybe it was a mistake that would have been avoided with an adult in the room running recruiting (Glasscock). That we will never know

Bobby has said the Opendoors founder, or whatever that company is, has said the 3 most competitive NIL positions are QB, WR, and DT. 

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

These numbers indicate an incredible level of precision.  What a joke. 

Nah, I think it shows that right now we wouldn't get any of those guys or Fasusi, but we will probably get Ffrench, Lockett, and Brooks.

Ffrench- 70%

Lockett- 55%, A&M 35%, Bama 10%

Fasusi- 40% (OU 45%)

Brooks- 65%

Sanders- 37.5% (A&M also 37.5%)

Faraimo- 46% (Notre Dame 49%)

Tilmon- 40% (Utah 40%)

Anding- 36% (LSU 38%)

22 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I must say, as of yesterday night I'd been without power for 9 days, including caring for an early onset Father In Law. And catching up on this thread has been almost as painful as that. Almost. A particular, hilarious lowlight just in the last page:

/Man who has spouted dozens of posts the last 2 weeks which consist mostly of titty-whining and ignorant takes complaining about our NIL budget, who also doesn't donate to Tree Fiddy or Burnt Ends while somehow, magically, being a doctor, SWEARS that this time, guys, he is DONE arguing his bad takes over and over again. 

::60 minutes later::

THERE HE IS! Like fucking clockwork if that clock were a spiked and flaming dildo designed specifically to inflict maximum pain on a message board. 

glad you have power and that you are safe

• Hook 'Em 7

31 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I must say, as of yesterday night I'd been without power for 9 days, including caring for an early onset Father In Law. And catching up on this thread has been almost as painful as that. Almost. A particular, hilarious lowlight just in the last page:

/Man who has spouted dozens of posts the last 2 weeks which consist mostly of titty-whining and ignorant takes complaining about our NIL budget, who also doesn't donate to Tree Fiddy or Burnt Ends while somehow, magically, being a doctor, SWEARS that this time, guys, he is DONE arguing his bad takes over and over again. 

THERE HE IS! Like fucking clockwork if that clock were a spiked and flaming dildo designed specifically to inflict maximum pain on a message board. 

T&P for the F-I-L situation.

40 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

image.gif.df1f8de2d7fd478fbd028b25bd1ce8f1.gif

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

/Man who has spouted dozens of posts the last 2 weeks which consist mostly of titty-whining and ignorant takes complaining about our NIL budget, who also doesn't donate to Tree Fiddy or Burnt Ends while somehow, magically, being a doctor

Leave him alone.  It's not like he's a nurse.

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Bevo said:

We've been told that we matched Oregon and the recruits in question just preferred the atmosphere there

Just our luck, college players can finally be comensated at an unlimited level and, somehow, Texas targets & prioritizes the only 5* recruits in history who don't care about money.

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Josef Pwag said:

Just our luck, college players can finally be comensated at an unlimited level and, somehow, Texas targets & prioritizes the only 5* recruits in history who don't care about money.

Bama still gets 5 stars and their NIL is fine but not spectacular.

44 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Bama still gets 5 stars and their NIL is fine but not spectacular.

Bama has a proven track record of producing NFL talent, and winning championships, and while Saban is gone, the new coach just took his team to the National Championship game.

I think he'll get a grace period.