Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

57 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I just can’t bring myself to donate to the NIL. UT is a public school and I live in Texas, I’m paying for it in someway already. And I gather that we already have the most robust and well-organized setup for it in college football anyway. 

Oh for fucks sake you single digit IQ moron- you ain’t paying for shit in Texas athletics as it’s completely self supporting.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

What many of you guys seem to think is that only NIL matters, and when something goes some school's way, it's got to solely be about NIL. And then following that, whether the recruit is a target or not, somehow Texas NIL must really suck.

It's the same people who thought only bags mattered.

4 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

Honest question, with all this NIL talk - is there anything more we can do? I've donated as much as I feel comfortable donating, but is there anything other than money?

Yeah. Your friend's money. Get them to donate too.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, sith_horn said:

A 10 MW portable generator. I suspect there might be some grunting involved, even with the wheel kit. Not to mention the hernia inducing pull cord. Opt for electric start, lol.

Good. I was gonna offer to either drop KW to W, or lose the ",000" part. 10MW is a big fucking generator...

• Haha 1

It would please me greatly if the folks on the recruiting board went ahead and negged all the posts from cb866, as he not only has the brain of a walnut, he appears to also be quite the douchebag. Let’s just go ahead and fatwa him out of here. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

disagree respectfully.  credit goes to the current staff...Kelly/Flynt/et al. for developing the 6 drafted last year.  ain't no way Orgeron/Moffitt/et al develop Jayden Daniels, Malik Nabors and BTJ into 1st round picks.  JD was picked up in the portal from ASU by Kelly and was coached up by Joe Sloan (as i'm sure you're aware, the difference between year 1 and 2 was profound given his Heisman), and Nabors and BTJ rarely saw the field prior to Kelly and Hankton arriving. 

of the remaining 3, Jordan Jefferson and Mekhi Wingo were also portal additions (UF and Mizzou), with Maason Smith being a freshman with little playing time under his belt when Kelly arrived.  Smith and Jefferson were drafted on potential however...neither showed shit on the field (though in fairness our DL coach had a heart attack during fall camp in 2023 and we were without a true DL coach the remainder of the season, the duties parsed between several analysts who did a shit job under Matt House's guidance), and Wingo was a beast his first year at LSU but stagnated due to the aforementioned lack of a dedicated line coach.   But he'll stick on an NFL roster.

we've got a damn fine staff now who are collectively and individually well-above avg recruiters, and our NIL is solid enough to compete with most anyone.  what we do lack in the NIL is more than made up for by said staff and our recent history of development and getting players to the NFL.  Sloan nabbed Underwood by simply pointing to his work with Daniels ("Imagine what we can turn you into in 3 years instead of 1"), Hankton has a looong history of putting guys in the league when he was a Georgia and now with Nabors and BTJ being first rounders; of course you already know about Bo Davis, and Brad Davis is about as good an OL coach and recruiter as there is in the country, and we'll have 4 OL drafted this year (LT being projected as a top 3 pick and RT a projected first rounder, too).  Frank Wilson and Corey Raymond are Louisiana natives and have a long history at LSU that speaks for itself, both being named national recruiter of the year in the past and have put a lot of guys in the league.

this isn't some ratchet ass, patched together staff...we're solid.  and it's showing in recruiting.

Would you say…perhaps…that you didn’t rebuild but reloaded?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

It would please me greatly if the folks on the recruiting board went ahead and negged all the posts from cb866, as he not only has the brain of a walnut, he appears to also be quite the douchebag. Let’s just go ahead and fatwa him out of here. 

I'm pretty sure he was crowsourced prior to this post, but if he wasn't, he is now.

16 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

I'm pretty sure he was crowsourced prior to this post, but if he wasn't, he is now.

He was -51 when I posted. His banning warms my heart. I feel like I really accomplished something today. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

9 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

This post is awesome. I’m using my pick’em ranks in my next argument with my wife.

I’m adding “finished in the top 13th percentile of the 2024 NCAA Tourney Challenge” to my CV

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

23 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Would you say…perhaps…that you didn’t rebuild but reloaded?

yeah...you're talking about my saying that before the '19 season. good for you pointing that out.

neither...and frankly i don't give a fuck.  new players, different abilities.  we'll adjust scheme to what the players do best.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

In 30 years you'll be dead.   What does it matter.

Or less if he's dox'd. I mean, look what happened to Sydney and ctj...

Edited by tejas60
Ou sucks

7 hours ago, Helobious said:

I’m talking about the scholarship & stipend aspect, which is a part of an athletes NIL deal. Of course I know the actual school doesn’t pay them cash. 

They in fact do get paid a cash stipend. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Park Gothic said:

Honest question, with all this NIL talk - is there anything more we can do? I've donated as much as I feel comfortable donating, but is there anything other than money?

Send me a DM or email. There's lots of ways to help including helping organize events and fundraisers etc. Glad to involve you if you want to give time/expertise/services but not more money. 

One of the biggest things you can do to help is leverage your network for things that would help, like event space for free etc. 

2 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

How can I do this without revealing myself? I don’t trust any of these fucksticks here  I wanna donate 

You mean you don't want your PII in your profile? Send me a DM or email as well and I'll get you set up on stripe or PayPal directly outside the software and just add it to your profile after. 

Rick@surlyhorns.com

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Helobious said:

I believe I finished tied for 9th or something in this site’s NCAA Tourney Challenge this year (out of 70+ entries). I was 8-4 picking winners in the Texas football state championships. I’m wrong no more often than anyone else, I’m just the only one that ever gets called out/remembered for it, Greenspoint too somewhat. People love their narratives even when their wrong.

we'll always have your 2022 Texas high school football state championship picks.

#neverforget

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

13 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

People who are clutching their pearls about our NIL and our recent recruiting losses to Oregon,LSU, etc conveniently forget that our NIL got Banks from Oregon, Ewers from Ohio State, Mack from FSU, Williams from LSU, Wingo from Missouri, and Niblack/Mitchell/Bond from Bama. Among many many others. Our NIL kicks ass thanks in large part to some posters on here. We don’t win them all, and we never will. But we are always in the running if we are interested. Enjoy being the 1% for once. 

Davy Crockett from tenn too

• Haha 2

On 7/17/2024 at 4:37 PM, perfectchaos007 said:

Beryl only took my power out for 2 days and sleeping in 80+ degree heat for just 2 nights had me pondering how anyone lived in Texas before the good Lord invented Air-conditioning 

8 fricking days for me.  I have a small generator and a window unit so that saved me, but the five of us (wife, MIL, myself and two teenage boys) and my two dogs in the master bedroom for eight days...  I was seriously contemplating a drano cocktail.

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Didn't know I was in the Houston electricity thread. 

These threads are whatever anyone wants to fucking talk about, the cat facts and cheese puns from years ago should have told ya'

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

Auburn commit eyeing UT's SEC opener for return visit to Texas (4 star Devin Williams)

Hank South (Horns 247)

" ... he's aiming for UT's SEC opener against Mississippi State on Sept. 28th."

"I've narrowed it down to Texas and Auburn," he said. "We'll see what happens between those two."

"It's close," Williams said. "I got some thinking to do. I'm going to be back for a game to get more of a feel for Texas. I've been to Auburn a lot. It's time to give Texas a shot."

Reveal hidden contents

Auburn commit eyeing UT's SEC opener for return visit to Texas

Hank South (Horns 247)

Four-star cornerback and Auburn commit Devin Williams said he planned to return to Austin for a game this fall after his June 21-23 official visit to the Forty Acres. 

Horns247 followed up with the Buford (Ga.) standout, who tells us that he's aiming for UT's SEC opener against Mississippi State on Sept. 28. 

"I definitely have thinking to do," Williams told Horns247 about where things stand in his recruitment right after his OV."I'm going to be back for another game (at Texas). This was an amazing weekend. It was so much fun. I definitely have some thinking to do.

"As soon as I got out of the car at the hotel, everybody was cheering, the energy is great here. It's a great place. First time being in Texas, it was very welcoming. I got to speak to every coach. Every coach said they really want me. Everything was great. I really loved it."

Williams talked about why he wanted to make this trip to Texas despite having already made a decision.

"It's Texas," he said. "Big city. A lot of opportunities. Coach Joseph, me and him have a great relationship. I just wanted to come see it. I feel like they have a chance."

The pitch from the staff consists of both football and non-football opportunities.

"They told me a lot of businesses are moving here, like Elon Musk moved his business here," Williasm said. "You know, there are a lot of alumni. Make lifelong connections can make you fortunate in the future."

Steve Sarkisian delivered a refreshing recruiting pitch to Williams and his family.

"He just told me the basis of the program," Williams said. "They're about their culture. They don't talk numbers a lot, which I really like. A lot of people just come for the numbers. I'm about the culture, I'm about being here, being with the players, getting around them. He told me they really wanted me obviously. Coach Sark is a great guy."

Terry Joseph has Williams' attention, too.

"He knows what he's talking about," Williams said. "What stood out to me is he doesn't coach everybody the same. He coaches everybody different. Everybody comes from different things, different techniques. He lets you do your thing, but he's going to coach you up. He's a very level-headed dude. I love Coach Joseph."

Williams is focusing on just the Longhorns and Tigers from here on out.

"I've narrowed it down to Texas and Auburn," he said. "We'll see what happens between those two.

"I love Coach Crime(Dawg) (Wesley McGriff) Great dude. I'm committed, so they're going to show a lot of love. I just love Auburn. You know, it's in the backyard, not far from home. I don't have no problem being far from home either way."

How close is the race?

"It's close," Williams said. "I got some thinking to do. I'm going to be back for a game to get more of a feel for Texas. I've been to Auburn a lot. It's time to give Texas a shot."

At 5-foot-10, 165 pounds, Williams is ranked the No. 23 cornerback and the No. 191 overall player in the country, per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite Rankings.

https://247sports.com/Player/devin-williams-46136036/

Good offer list, if those offers were real - Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, ND, etc..

image.thumb.png.f3d33ae3a97bafd6f0e02db3904cfdef.png

Small by current DB standards, so he must have everything else it takes. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Soccer Dudes Dad said:

8 fricking days for me.  I have a small generator and a window unit so that saved me, but the five of us (wife, MIL, myself and two teenage boys) and my two dogs in the master bedroom for eight days...  I was seriously contemplating a drano cocktail.

756d2ba5-af00-499f-aac8-e67239a2e43a_text.gif.c1df7b04e7e771af7e255c7b81d71233.gif

Edited by BachelorTrek
  • Like 1