Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Duck Around and Find Out

texifornia

11 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Why? We need at least 2 more IDL.

The goal was reported to be 4 DT.. This had nothing to do with Sanders. Texas needs to offer multiple DTs at this point 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Texas currently ranked #16 on 247

Screenshot_20240721-090615_kindlephoto-8877804.png.2315af7648830ed5fe76f2a6b3d27e3e.png

Curious how many of the Horns 3's are realistic upgrade candidates to become 4's

Screenshot_20240721-090201_kindlephoto-8627493.thumb.png.05c747bf96e79656fb04c3beea4f75e7.png

Screenshot_20240721-090321_kindlephoto-8704438.thumb.png.ae415d165de0f38fb9377c932b58ebd0.png

Screenshot_20240721-090446_kindlephoto-8789078.thumb.png.104e14134722f2cb80b94b549d43508a.png

I would think Cunningham and Mills could/should end up low 4*'s on the composite.  The rest are fairly accurate.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

There has got to be more to it than just Brandon Harris 

Certainly. If there’s a fall guy or two (read as: gets fired or reassigned), who else short of Sark should we be looking at?

2 hours ago, SarkAfterDark said:

I certainly didn’t expect LSU to have a better class than us this year. They didn’t have a better season and allegedly are limited in NIL funds. The ball is being dropped somewhere regarding our recruiting efforts.

From looking at their commits, I can't think of any of them that we highly pursued with the exception of Brandon Brown. I can agree though that we're not where we thought we'd be but I think that's more of us not landing the guys we thought we were gonna get a few months ago(Moore, Brew, Fasusi, Pettijohn etc.). Still early but if we land Brooks, Terry, Madden, Ffrench and Lockett up with Kaliq we should finish with a top 5 class. Hopefully we can flip Lamont Rogers.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, FunkSoulBrother said:

From looking at their commits, I can't think of any of them that we highly pursued with the exception of Brandon Brown. I can agree though that we're not where we thought we'd be but I think that's more of us not landing the guys we thought we were gonna get a few months ago(Moore, Brew, Fasusi, Pettijohn etc.). Still early but if we land Brooks, Terry, Madden, Ffrench and Lockett up with Kaliq we should finish with a top 5 class. Hopefully we can flip Lamont Rogers.

There's going to be A LOT of switching of commitments between now and the first signing day. Mark it down. October, November and December will be unlike anything we've ever seen.  Many of these recruits have been promised money that simply doesn't exist.

Edited by Hornius Emeritus
  • Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

There's going to be A LOT of switching of commitments between now and the first signing day. Mark it down. October, November and December will be unlike anything we've ever seen.  Many of these recruits have been promised money that simply doesn't exist.

I read it on the internet, so ...

image.png.f296ea5b84abe77ecebe9b30088e4b0e.png

• Drool 2

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Texas currently ranked #16 on 247

Screenshot_20240721-090615_kindlephoto-8877804.png.2315af7648830ed5fe76f2a6b3d27e3e.png

Curious how many of the Horns 3's are realistic upgrade candidates to become 4's

Screenshot_20240721-090201_kindlephoto-8627493.thumb.png.05c747bf96e79656fb04c3beea4f75e7.png

Screenshot_20240721-090321_kindlephoto-8704438.thumb.png.ae415d165de0f38fb9377c932b58ebd0.png

Screenshot_20240721-090446_kindlephoto-8789078.thumb.png.104e14134722f2cb80b94b549d43508a.png

I would bet one of the edge guys will be a 5 star and a long shot both are. Townsend is in that discussion also 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, FunkSoulBrother said:

I guess if you find solace in that they aren’t kicking our ass head to head, but they are hitting on their targets. Thus far they have a much better class than we do. They lost a 5 star WR and a 4 star DB and then replaced them with another 5 star WR and 5 star DB. All this wish casting of them not having the money is just that until there are actual signs of such.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Gerry on timelines for guys left

Spoiler

Texas Recruiting: Summer and fall targets

The Texas Longhorns No. 15 ranked recruiting class has 15 commitments with the month of July winging down quickly. 

Steve Sarkisian and staff have nine prospects scheduled or likely to announce before the end of the summer. The official end of summer is September 22. 

Texas also has a trio of prospects not expected to announce until the fall, with the understanding that offensive line target Nick Brooks (Cedar Rapids, Ia./JFK) could announce from mid-to-late September. 

OTF takes a look at the summer decisions and fall decisions with Texas expected to make a run into the last 2-3 spots of the top 10 ranked recruiting classes by the end of summer. 

Summer decisions 

Kaliq Lockett, WR, Sachse (Texas) High
OnTexasFootball ranking: 4-star+
Announcement date: August 7. Texas in good spot with Texas A&M and Alabama in the fight.

Michael Fasusi, OT, Lewisville (Texas) High
OnTexasFootball ranking: 4-star+
Announcement date: Oklahoma and Texas battling it out with August 22 set for the announcement. Texas A&M 

Jaime Ffrench, WR, Jacksonville (Fla.) Mandarin
Announcement date: Texas has a healthy lead ahead of an August 30 announcement. 

D.J. Sanders, DL, Bellville (Texas) High
OnTexasFootball ranking: 3–star
Announcement date: TBD with Texas A&M having been trending over Texas and Michigan in recent days. 

Madden Faraimo, LB, San Juan Capistrano (Calif.) J Serra Catholic
Announcement date: TDB with Notre Dame working to close out over Texas in August, or early in the season. USC is also working behind the scenes. 

Jonah Williams, S, Galveston (Texas) Ball
Announcement date: TDB with the Thursday visit to Texas potentially throwing a monkey in the wrench of Oregon. The Ducks remain the team trending, to be clear. LSU, Texas A&M and USC are in the mix. 

Nathan Tilmon, S, Mansfield (Texas) Timberview
OnTexasFootball ranking: 4-star
Announcement date: TDB, and has been expected any day now for over a week. Texas, Utah and TCU where the decision is expected to come from. 

Aidan Anding, CB, Ruston (La.) High
Announcement date: TDB prior to senior season likely. A visit to LSU looms large in this recruitment this weekend. Texas still swinging away, as is Arkansas. Miami is too far from home. 

Michael Terry II, ATH, San Antonio (Texas) Alamo Heights
Announcement date: Texas leads Oregon ahead of an August decision with the date TBD. Texas A&M and Nebraska round out the final four. 

Fall targets

Nick Brooks, OT, Cedar Rapids (Ia.) John F. Kennedy
Announcement date: Texas continues to lead Georgia with USC in the mix ahead of a late September announcement. He could announce prior to September 22 to fall into a summer time decision - technically. 

JJ Hanne, DL, Rancho Santa Margarita (Calif.) Catholic
In the hunt: Alabama, Georgia, Texas, Ohio State, UCLA and others. 

Nathaniel Owusu-Boateng, LB, Manassas (Va.) IMG Academy
In the hunt: Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, USC and others.

Flip targets

Dallas Wilson, WR, Tampa (Fla.) Tech - Oregon commit

Josiah Sharma, DL, Folsom (Calif.) High - Oregon commit

Myron Charles, DL, Port Charlotte (Fla.) High - FSU commit

Derry Norris, DL, Port Orange (Fla.) Spruce Creek - Georgia Tech commit

Zion Williams, DL, Lufkin (Texas) High - LSU commit

Matai Tagao'i, LB, San Clemente (Calif.) High - USC commit

Dorian Brew, CB, Conroe (Texas) High - Oregon commit

Devin Sanchez, CB, Houston (Texas) North Shore - Ohio State commit 

Note: One offensive player will not be mentioned on this at this time. 

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, bluto said:

Gerry write up… Note: One offensive player will not be mentioned on this at this time. 

guessing that’s Devonaire clarington

Waddle, obviously.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry on timelines for guys left

Hide contents

Texas Recruiting: Summer and fall targets

The Texas Longhorns No. 15 ranked recruiting class has 15 commitments with the month of July winging down quickly. 

Steve Sarkisian and staff have nine prospects scheduled or likely to announce before the end of the summer. The official end of summer is September 22. 

Texas also has a trio of prospects not expected to announce until the fall, with the understanding that offensive line target Nick Brooks (Cedar Rapids, Ia./JFK) could announce from mid-to-late September. 

OTF takes a look at the summer decisions and fall decisions with Texas expected to make a run into the last 2-3 spots of the top 10 ranked recruiting classes by the end of summer. 

Summer decisions 

Kaliq Lockett, WR, Sachse (Texas) High
OnTexasFootball ranking: 4-star+
Announcement date: August 7. Texas in good spot with Texas A&M and Alabama in the fight.

Michael Fasusi, OT, Lewisville (Texas) High
Announcement date: Oklahoma and Texas battling it out with August 22 set for the announcement. Texas A&M 

Jaime Ffrench, WR, Jacksonville (Fla.) Mandarin
Announcement date: Texas has a healthy lead ahead of an August 30 announcement. 

D.J. Sanders, DL, Bellville (Texas) High
OnTexasFootball ranking: 3–star
Announcement date: TBD with Texas A&M having been trending over Texas and Michigan in recent days. 

Madden Faraimo, LB, San Juan Capistrano (Calif.) J Serra Catholic
Announcement date: TDB with Notre Dame working to close out over Texas in August, or early in the season. USC is also working behind the scenes. 

Jonah Williams, S, Galveston (Texas) Ball
Announcement date: TDB with the Thursday visit to Texas potentially throwing a monkey in the wrench of Oregon. The Ducks remain the team trending, to be clear. LSU, Texas A&M and USC are in the mix. 

Nathan Tilmon, S, Mansfield (Texas) Timberview
Announcement date: TDB, and has been expected any day now for over a week. Texas, Utah and TCU where the decision is expected to come from. 

Aidan Anding, CB, Ruston (La.) High
Announcement date: TDB prior to senior season likely. A visit to LSU looms large in this recruitment this weekend. Texas still swinging away, as is Arkansas. Miami is too far from home. 

Michael Terry II, ATH, San Antonio (Texas) Alamo Heights
Announcement date: Texas leads Oregon ahead of an August decision with the date TBD. Texas A&M and Nebraska round out the final four. 

Fall targets

Nick Brooks, OT, Cedar Rapids (Ia.) John F. Kennedy
Announcement date: Texas continues to lead Georgia with USC in the mix ahead of a late September announcement. He could announce prior to September 22 to fall into a summer time decision - technically. 

JJ Hanne, DL, Rancho Santa Margarita (Calif.) Catholic
In the hunt: Alabama, Georgia, Texas, Ohio State, UCLA and others. 

Nathaniel Owusu-Boateng, LB, Manassas (Va.) IMG Academy
In the hunt: Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, USC and others.

Flip targets

Dallas Wilson, WR, Tampa (Fla.) Tech - Oregon commit

Josiah Sharma, DL, Folsom (Calif.) High - Oregon commit

Myron Charles, DL, Port Charlotte (Fla.) High - FSU commit

Derry Norris, DL, Port Orange (Fla.) Spruce Creek - Georgia Tech commit

Zion Williams, DL, Lufkin (Texas) High - LSU commit

Matai Tagao'i, LB, San Clemente (Calif.) High - USC commit

Dorian Brew, CB, Conroe (Texas) High - Oregon commit

Devin Sanchez, CB, Houston (Texas) North Shore - Ohio State commit 

Note: One offensive player will not be mentioned on this at this time. 

Bleak outlook GIF

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Some of these Defensive position coaches are just total ass - Joseph, Gideon, Baker

Way too early to say that about Baker. He's supposedly a great coach and developer, which will help him recruit subsequent classes. 

Joseph and Gideon are known issues.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Way too early to say that about Baker. He's supposedly a great coach and developer, which will help him recruit subsequent classes. 

Joseph and Gideon are known issues.

Exactly. Every year we see the fanbase freak out and then praise these coaches on signing day or late signing day. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Joseph has probably gotten too much credit for his recruiting the last few cycles and Gideon has probably not gotten enough credit, which is the opposite of what conventional wisdom seems to be. Gideon has done more than Joseph in this cycle to date. The Louisiana connection is overblown for Joseph, and dudes like Jeff Banks and Sark have assisted him plenty with big-time CB targets over the years.

We'll see what both do on the field this year. Guys like Gary Patterson and Will Muschamp thought highly of Gideon, which isn't everything but those dudes aren't dummies. Joseph is who he is at this point in year 18 of his coaching career.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Joseph has probably gotten too much credit for his recruiting the last few cycles and Gideon has probably not gotten enough credit, which is the opposite of what conventional wisdom seems to be. Gideon has done more than Joseph in this cycle to date. The Louisiana connection is overblown for Joseph, and dudes like Jeff Bank and Sark have assisted him plenty with big-time CB targets over the years.

We'll see what both do on the field this year. Guys like Gary Patterson and Will Muschamp thought highly of Gideon, which isn't everything but those dudes aren't dummies. Joseph is who he is at this point in year 18 of his coaching career.

This is a prove it year for both of them. They have talent and experience and the pass rush should be improved. No excuses.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Bevo said:

Just on defense. Losing Fasusi to OU would suck but Brooks is very good and we could possibly flip Rogers.

I was surprised that Gerry didn’t list Rogers among the flip targets. Seems like a guy we would stay on. 

Edited by tokamak

3 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

I don’t mean this to be a smart ass, but who has he developed? I honestly do not know. I see this being mentioned but who are the players he has developed? 

12 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I don’t mean this to be a smart ass, but who has he developed? I honestly do not know. I see this being mentioned but who are the players he has developed? 

Some dude at Western Kentucky.  Name?  Couldn't tell you.

• Drool 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Any guesses?  Rogers seems like a good guess for one.

I doubt it will be an out of state guy and all the DTs that we really want are out of state so it is probably Zion Williams as one of the guys. The other is probably Rogers although there are some good possibilities at corner and linebacker (guys like Brew, Pettijohn, Sanchez). Sanchez didn't official visit though did he?

Edited by Bevo